50 replies to this topic

#1 Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

A buddy of mine who works at Yale sent me this. 

http://news.yale.edu...ign=yn-01-07-14

As I do most years I'm heading to St. Martin for the Heineken Regatta. this year we're bringing the kids so I'm a little more concerned than I would be if it was just me. Anyone hear anything about this? Is it just throw on some repellent and hit the beach, or something more serious?

#2 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

It's a real problem. As Dr. Fish noted it is not usually fatal but the real danger lies in proliferation of the disease by those who go to the island and then bring it home with them only to infect others.

#3 Footlong

Footlong

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Interests:Member # 175

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

I've been to SM a bunch of times and I can't remember ever being bit by a mosquito, but I guess spraying on some Back Woods Off would be a good idea.

#4 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

Lots and lots of mosquitos in the lagoon, but this is the first I've heard of Dengue down there.  Nasty fucking disease though; i had a crew with it in Costa Rica and it didn't kill him, but he sure wanted to die.

Wouldn't keep me from SXM but might make me slather up with the DEET at night.

#5 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

I've had it, (dengue) you don't want it. 20 years later, I still sometimes get a little reminder of the chills and fevers. It comes and goes quickly but my skin gets so sensitive and I get cold to the point of uncontrollable shivering. No amount of blankets or heat seems to help and you would think I was having an epileptic attack to witness. I pull the covers up over my head and any air moving on my body just sends me into more spasms. 

I was in Trinidad hauled out for a hurricane season and dreaded the dengue there. A workcrew of four locals opened an in ground cistern for cleaning and got so bit and infected in less than a day they went straight to hemorrhagic fever and dead the next day. A good friend got the dengue hemorrhagic fever while in the boatyards and went to the local hospital in the middle of the night. They gave him IV drips and forgot to give him a catheter and by morning the combination of the fever and swelling and getting pumped full of fluids with no way to void gave him an encephalitus like brain pressure which had killed him by daylight when the real docs came on duty. Too late by then and his widow and I were shocked at how the hospital and local govt did their best to keep the story quiet. They didn't want the goose that laid the golden egg (yachting community) to get scared off by such nastiness. I caught busses all over town that morning only to find that his body had been whisked away to another hospital for autopsy and cremation before noon and with no permission or input from the widow. There had been a recent outbreak and quarentine on one of the little fishing Island near Margarita and that was kept on the low down as well. 

If in St Martin, stay out of the lagoon and anchor well out in the trade winds and you should be fine but if you get the symptoms, get the next flight home while you can still walk! The locals don't call it 'break bone fever' for nothing!

Check this map, the STM report is listed.

http://www.healthmap.org/dengue/en/

http://www.sknvibes....tails.cfm/82989

#6 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

My daughter works in Central America where Dengue is pretty common.  She and her friends use lots of bug spray even if it is to sit in the back yard.  

Just be smart and do the same in SM.  

#7 Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Lots and lots of mosquitos in the lagoon, but this is the first I've heard of Dengue down there.  Nasty fucking disease though; i had a crew with it in Costa Rica and it didn't kill him, but he sure wanted to die.

Its not actually Dengue thats the issue its this new chikungunya. A quick google search tells me that the issue is mainly on the french side. Not sure how long that can last.

I sail on a local boat that is on a mooring in simpson bay. the wife and kids will be at Mary's boone. right now I'm thinking hit them with the deet and stay out of the lagoon.

#8 Laser1

Laser1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Was going to be the cocky one to say that I have never had any health concerns with Heineken.

On second thought reading the above better not.

Stay safe.

#9 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,826 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

I've had it, (dengue) you don't want it. 20 years later, I still sometimes get a little reminder of the chills and fevers. It comes and goes quickly but my skin gets so sensitive and I get cold to the point of uncontrollable shivering. No amount of blankets or heat seems to help and you would think I was having an epileptic attack to witness. I pull the covers up over my head and any air moving on my body just sends me into more spasms. 

I was in Trinidad hauled out for a hurricane season and dreaded the dengue there. A workcrew of four locals opened an in ground cistern for cleaning and got so bit and infected in less than a day they went straight to hemorrhagic fever and dead the next day. A good friend got the dengue hemorrhagic fever while in the boatyards and went to the local hospital in the middle of the night. They gave him IV drips and forgot to give him a catheter and by morning the combination of the fever and swelling and getting pumped full of fluids with no way to void gave him an encephalitus like brain pressure which had killed him by daylight when the real docs came on duty. Too late by then and his widow and I were shocked at how the hospital and local govt did their best to keep the story quiet. They didn't want the goose that laid the golden egg (yachting community) to get scared off by such nastiness. I caught busses all over town that morning only to find that his body had been whisked away to another hospital for autopsy and cremation before noon and with no permission or input from the widow. There had been a recent outbreak and quarentine on one of the little fishing Island near Margarita and that was kept on the low down as well. 

If in St Martin, stay out of the lagoon and anchor well out in the trade winds and you should be fine but if you get the symptoms, get the next flight home while you can still walk! The locals don't call it 'break bone fever' for nothing!

Check this map, the STM report is listed.

http://www.healthmap.org/dengue/en/

http://www.sknvibes....tails.cfm/82989

Have had it as well, at least once, felt like I'd been beaten with a steel bar.

Apparently it gets more dangerous the more times you get it.

Use DEET, but be careful with that stuff as well, don't care what they say, but anything that melts plastic can't be good for you!!

#10 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

fucking hell.  "“An outbreak of chikungunya on French-owned Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean during 2005 caused 255,000 cases, over one-third of the entire population, within one year. Since the Reunion outbreak, chikungunya has appeared in India causing millions of cases and in Italy, which has a temperate climate,” Fish notes."

#11 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

Not hard to avoid getting bitten. Go back to the hotel and hang in the A/c from just before sunset until a bit after. Drink early, nap, drink again late. Winning formula.

#12 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

problem is when you drink early and then no longer have so much control over your schedule.  Drink early, nap, wake up covered in lipstick, bug bites, and missing two credit cards and a shirt.  what then? ;)

#13 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,826 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

Not hard to avoid getting bitten. Go back to the hotel and hang in the A/c from just before sunset until a bit after. Drink early, nap, drink again late. Winning formula.

Any advice when you live and work in a hi-risk area?

#14 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,826 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

problem is when you drink early and then no longer have so much control over your schedule.  Drink early, nap, wake up covered in lipstick, bug bites, and missing two credit cards and a shirt.  what then? ;)

At that point you go back to the bar, borrow the bar phone, call a mate and start drinking again till he gets there.

He can settle the bar tab at the same time when he gets there.

How's that sound? :)

#15 The Big D

The Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

Spent a lot of time in the Lagoon. Kid ALWAYS slept under a mosquito net unless the wind was over 12 to 15 at  night.  We always had repellent around as well. Lots of potential illness for a kid down there, including but not limited to mosquito borne maladies. However, some training and common sense will keep them safe.  Areas where there are lots of mosquitos are of coarse near the swampier land and the scummier parts of town where there is a lot of standing water and sewage.

Also be aware that beaches where cruising boats are nearby are filthy. Not a place for kids. Carry antibacterial wipes to keep their hands clean and implore them to keep their hands away from their face.

No walking barefoot anywhere except on a nice clean beach. Seriously, I can't tell you how many bad staph infections I've seen on people that think they are immune and walk around the tropics barefoot. Carry something to disinfect wounds immediately with you. A minor scratch can get serious if you are not careful. 

Not trying to scare you...just some care that needs to be taken. These things are certainly not anything that should keep them from going down there and having a big time playing in the beautiful water and sunshine.

#16 LoopyGirdleSniffer

LoopyGirdleSniffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

People people the fear mongering is astounding.  I've lived in and been traveling around the Caribbean for the past 20 years, and I've magically managed to not get dengue.  Been bit countless times.  

I'm not discounting the horribleness of dengue, and this new things is apparently carried by the same mosquito as the dengue mosquito (Aedes Aegypti) so come to the caribbean and don't do anything different than you would have before-  Have bug spray (Mossi's are worst just before and after sunrise and sunset), enjoy the weather, drink rum (you can avoid Cleans above noted issues by regular doses of something called "Food".) and go sailing.  

See Ya'll there

#17 The Big D

The Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

People people the fear mongering is astounding.  I've lived in and been traveling around the Caribbean for the past 20 years, and I've magically managed to not get dengue.  Been bit countless times.  

I'm not discounting the horribleness of dengue, and this new things is apparently carried by the same mosquito as the dengue mosquito (Aedes Aegypti) so come to the caribbean and don't do anything different than you would have before-  Have bug spray (Mossi's are worst just before and after sunrise and sunset), enjoy the weather, drink rum (you can avoid Cleans above noted issues by regular doses of something called "Food".) and go sailing.  

See Ya'll there

Nobody is "fear mongering". It is called being smart (pay attention, you'll get the hang of it). The guy is worried about his kids and wants to take care of them. In my world that is a trait of a culturally advanced individual. Not all of us like to rely on "magic" (your word, not mine).

#18 LoopyGirdleSniffer

LoopyGirdleSniffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

See Ya'll there

Nobody is "fear mongering". It is called being smart (pay attention, you'll get the hang of it). The guy is worried about his kids and wants to take care of them. In my world that is a trait of a culturally advanced individual. Not all of us like to rely on "magic" (your word, not mine).

Cute,  read it again (or not) and you might understand

#19 The Big D

The Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

See Ya'll there

You say that as if "understanding" is something that anyone other than you might do.

#20 LoopyGirdleSniffer

LoopyGirdleSniffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

See Ya'll there

You say that as if "understanding" is something that anyone other than you might do.

Clearly you didn't understand the post.

#21 sugarbird

sugarbird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Some of this and some of that

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

I've lived in the Caribbean for the last ten years, and had my first bout with Dengue a year ago - it sucks, really. I was never much bothered by itchy mosquito bites, so probably was a bit cavalier in protecting myself from the little bastards, but that has changed. Outbreaks seems to ebb and flow throughout the region, and there's broad speculation that the actual number of cases is much greater than what's reported by the various health departments because, A. Not everyone who gets sick goes to a doctor because there's not much they can do, and B. There's a lot of pressure from the tourism sector to not alarm/drive away potential visitors. BTW, it's not just here, check out the distribution map on Wikipedia for an eye-opener, pretty much the whole southeast US shows a "non-epidemic" occurrence.

The St. Martin French side Chikungunya outbreak has been reported locally, with the cautions to use similar prophylactic measures as Dengue. It's been pretty windy down here this winter, but I can't imagine the carrier mosquitos will stay exclusively on the French side for long.

#22 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

At that point you go back to the bar, borrow the bar phone, call a mate and start drinking again till he gets there.

He can settle the bar tab at the same time when he gets there.

How's that sound? :)

Was that you that rescued me in '09?

#23 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

It wouldn't be such a problem if the island started fogging again.  But I guess if you spend money on that, where is the money going to come from for the local government officials to steal and squander???

I will be there tomorrow, probably in Jimbo's fighting off a shit ton of mozzies that the bar is known for. I'll report next week if I come down with anything...

#24 TQA

TQA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Caribbean cruising as long as I can

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

Just a reminder that both chikungunya and dengue are carried by DAYTIME mosquitoes and not the sods that come out in the early evening. 

The daytime carrier variety can be identified by white bands on it's legs. These are clearly visible even after smashing the little buggers. 

#25 Dude

Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Of course I have a Ben 40.7 chartered for the Heineken and the crew is ready to go airline tickets, rooms etc. I can get really worked up about this. Where does a person find the best information.

#26 Peacefrog

Peacefrog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

you could also walk outside the door right now and get run over by a car. just saying.

#27 Footlong

Footlong

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Interests:Member # 175

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Of course I have a Ben 40.7 chartered for the Heineken and the crew is ready to go airline tickets, rooms etc. I can get really worked up about this. Where does a person find the best information.

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov...gunya-caribbean

#28 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

We spent a month+ anchored in the Lagoon last Feb/March, don't recall seeing a single mosquito there.  I also don't recall every needing or feeling the need for bug spray while there either.

Of course things could change in the 10 months since we've been there, but I've never heard much about a mosquito problem from anyone we know that has gone there.  If mosquitoes were a big problem in the lagoon we'd have heard about it or seen it.

We left about a week before the Heineken last year.

#29 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Problem with that is NOT having A/C and seeing sunset every night are two reasons why I go to the Caribbean!

#30 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

You have the next Direct TV commercial! Send it to them but if they use it I want a cut!!! :D

#31 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Ive never had to use insect repellant in St Marten. Back in the day, you would see the truck driving down the road spraying the chemicals. Still, last I was there (2010), we stayed on a boat in the lagoon and didn't see one mosquito. Lucky I guess. 

Just be smart and use repellant......you'll be ok.

#32 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

you could also walk outside the door right now and get run over by a car. just saying.

Don't forget just as easily falling off your boat and drowning as well.

#33 Spargo

Spargo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Women, Whiskey & Wine.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

Was in the lagoon last season and I don't recall getting bitten once by mosquitos.

I found them WAY worse in Falmouth Harbour in Antigua - I'm pretty mosquito resistant - they bite but I don't really itch for more than a few hours, and these bites were bothering me for days.

Best course of action would be to not worry too much, and keep applying DEET.

#34 dacarls

dacarls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

I have sailed Long Island Sound with Dr. Durland Fish, a buddy and former Entomology student at U. Florida.  He told me he was deathly ill for 6 weeks and damn near died from malaria caught in Manaus, while his co-worker on the project, a PhD Entomologist, DID die from it.  Guess why Fish is concerned about mosquito borne disease!  If you pay attention, maybe you and or your kids won't get killed by these nasty mosquito-borne diseases.  The mosquito that gives you the disease looks and acts JUST like the uninfected ones, and the bites are the same.  SO there is now a new disease in the Western Hemisphere brought in by somebody on a commercial plane, who was then bitten by local mosquitoes. Brilliant.  

Fortunately we do have "PERSONAL PROTECTION".  DEET, which came from my lab at USDA in 1954, still works very well on Aedes mosquitoes including Aedes aegypti, helping with yellow fever, dengue and Chikungunya transmission,  but NOT malaria. DEET does NOT deter malaria mosquitoes which are Anopheline species, like Anopheles gambiae.  When I go to malarious areas, I use the Baeyer product PICARDIN, which does not dissolve paint, feels better on your skin, and is excellent at repelling both malaria mosquitoes (very rare in N. America) and Aedes species as well as Culex sp. like we have in North America.  Johnson and Johnson sell it now too, but you have to read the tiny print to get the non-DEET stuff.  

Getting mosquito bites because you are a "tough guy", or drunk on the floor is pretty much like playing Russian Roulette with a loaded revolver. Any SINGLE bite could give you or your friend or your kid a nasty potentially fatal disease.  Risking it serves no purpose.  And we need to keep this shit out of the rest of the Caribbean Islands and the USA.  Write your Congressman / Senator today.  Remember West Nile fever? It killed a bunch of people all over the USA, and is  killing bald eagles out west as we speak. 

#35 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,826 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

I have sailed Long Island Sound with Dr. Durland Fish, a buddy and former Entomology student at U. Florida.  He told me he was deathly ill for 6 weeks and damn near died from malaria caught in Manaus, while his co-worker on the project, a PhD Entomologist, DID die from it.  Guess why Fish is concerned about mosquito borne disease!  If you pay attention, maybe you and or your kids won't get killed by these nasty mosquito-borne diseases.  The mosquito that gives you the disease looks and acts JUST like the uninfected ones, and the bites are the same.  SO there is now a new disease in the Western Hemisphere brought in by somebody on a commercial plane, who was then bitten by local mosquitoes. Brilliant.  

Fortunately we do have "PERSONAL PROTECTION".  DEET, which came from my lab at USDA in 1954, still works very well on Aedes mosquitoes including Aedes aegypti, helping with yellow fever, dengue and Chikungunya transmission,  but NOT malaria. DEET does NOT deter malaria mosquitoes which are Anopheline species, like Anopheles gambiae.  When I go to malarious areas, I use the Baeyer product PICARDIN, which does not dissolve paint, feels better on your skin, and is excellent at repelling both malaria mosquitoes (very rare in N. America) and Aedes species as well as Culex sp. like we have in North America.  Johnson and Johnson sell it now too, but you have to read the tiny print to get the non-DEET stuff.  

Getting mosquito bites because you are a "tough guy", or drunk on the floor is pretty much like playing Russian Roulette with a loaded revolver. Any SINGLE bite could give you or your friend or your kid a nasty potentially fatal disease.  Risking it serves no purpose.  And we need to keep this shit out of the rest of the Caribbean Islands and the USA.  Write your Congressman / Senator today.  Remember West Nile fever? It killed a bunch of people all over the USA, and is  killing bald eagles out west as we speak. 

Does PICARDIN work with other mosquitos or just malarial mosquitos?
Are there other alternatives to DEET?

#36 dacarls

dacarls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

For MAD: Picardin is pretty good at repelling all mosquito species: Baeyer's chemists were aware of the USDA patents on a number of good piperidines (600 were synthesized), and changed structure of one slightly to make the new structure Picardin, which they then patented.  There are scientific papers on all this science. 

My quote- When I go to malarious areas, I use the Baeyer product PICARDIN, which does not dissolve paint, feels better on your skin, and is excellent at repelling both malaria mosquitoes (Anophelines are rare in N. America), and Aedes species as well as Culex sp. like we have in North America.  Johnson and Johnson sell it now too, but you have to read the tiny print to get the non-DEET stuff.  

Alternatives to DEET:  yes, like some natural products (lemon grass oil, etc.) that evaporate and are then gone in 20 minutes, needing reapplication.  DEET and Picardin can last 8 hours per treatment and still be effective.  Or you can do what the U.S Marine Corps. do- treat BDU clothing with Permethrin, a mosquito toxicant, that stays in cotton and cotton-blend uniforms for many washings.  I did the early analytical work on this system, first tested by the Rhodesians against ticks.   

#37 interested party

interested party

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

I've done Heineken for the past 6 years.  Most of the sailing is on the Dutch side and the sailing on the French side is not out in the marshes or shallow water areas. I believe most of the infections are in the area of the shallow waters and marshes on the north/ French side. I think most of us will be fine.

#38 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • Interests:Garnacha. Gunk-holing.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Found a great photo of actual Dengue virus.  Sinister, goblin looking thing

slide_331895_3306911_free.jpg

#39 Dude

Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

I sent a note to the person we are chartering our boat from and he received this email from the race director.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter. The Tourism Office sent out a press release regarding this matter a little while ago, but will send out another one soon as a lot of people are worried and the last thing we need is to get less visitors because of it. We’re trying to do some damage control!

Chikungunya is a little more severe than dengue, but not as bad as the media makes it sound. Your reply is exactly right! The government is doing a lot of fogging in the areas where cases have been confirmed and preventively all other areas too. So far no tourists have been infected.

Thanks!

Michele Korteweg – Regatta Director

St. Maarten Heineken Regatta | 6 March - 9 March 2014

Regatta office

The Sint Maarten Yacht Club

Welfare Road 90, Simpson Bay, St. Maarten

Phone:  www.heinekenregatta.com

#40 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

ruh-roh.

http://hosted.ap.org...-01-14-16-47-21

#41 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:05 AM

Just got back from SXM. I did get bitten a shitload. Fortunately I missed out on Chikungunya. I asked around Simpson Bay Marina and no one knew of any cases of it.

This is all Clean stirring the pot on a slow news day.

#42 sugarbird

sugarbird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Soley - I really don't see how providing a link to a fresh AP story, exactly on point for this thread, is just stirring the pot? Glad you didn't contract Chikungunya or Dengue after getting bitten a shitload in SXM, but with all due respect, there IS a bit of a problem in many of the islands with these mosquito born diseases, and disseminating information about the problem is the right thing to do in my opinion. No need to change travel plans unless you're an absolute compulsive worrywart, but awareness and simple precautions will tip the odds greatly in your favor.

#43 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Well all the people I spoke to believe that the News organisations are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Yes people are getting chikungunya but at no faster rate than dengue for the last 8 years.

Also a large proportion of people contracting either disease is generally a local population who live in less than ideal conditions. One of the most popular un-natural habitats for mosquitoes to breed in is discarded tyres that pool water. For some reason, locals in St Maarten like to stock up on old tyres for a rainy day....

#44 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

I called the CDC, soley.  Sorry your scientific 'asking people at the dock' didn't turn up what they have, or that your 'all the people you spoke to' think the media are somehow misreporting what is actually going on.  I'm sure your 'survey' respondents don't have any reason to downplay the disease.  BTW, they added another 100 case reports over the past two days from SXM.

According to the CDC it is not a mountain out of a molehill, largely because Chiki has shown the ability to infect and spread a lot faster than Dengue for whatever reason.  You fucking bitches that complain we are stirring the pot should make sure you tell any sailors that get this nasty disease that you did your best to dissuade folks like us from warning them.  

For what it's worth, I'll still go because i love St. Martin.  But you can be damned sure I will be bringing some very good bug spray and wearing far more clothes than i usually do down there.  I have watched a crewmate descend into a pretty awful place on Dengue and I will not be going to the same place merely because I like sailboat racing, or because I listen to some dickhead who 'spoke to people who said it was all bullshit'.

#45 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,699 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Clean definitely likes to stir the pot, but this sounds like it is something to take seriously.  This regatta is probably the only thing on my bucket list.  This would not stop me form attending, if I could, but I would take the warnings seriously.....  YMMV

#46 Dude

Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

St. Maarten Heineken Regatta We understand your concerns about the Chikungunya virus however a very small amount of cases have been reported on Island. The Sint Maarten Government are in the process of fogging the island to reduce the mosquito's and the will also release an official statement regarding this soon. We will do our best to ensure that all information we receive will be passed onto to our fans and participants. No extreme measures need to be taken at this time as it is not considered an outbreak with the very few cases reported at present.

#47 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Chikungunya means "that which bends up" in the Kimako language of Mozambique

I woke up this morning and thought I had Chikungunya, but it was just the usual morning wood!

#48 Lat21

Lat21

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:25 AM

Leaving for St Martin tomorrow to go cruising on a charter cat. I was there for 2013 Heineken and on St Barts for the Les Voiles. I don't remember seeing a mosquito or getting bitten. We'll just lather on the Deet and take our chances.

The chances of getting it are slim but real. The population on St Martin is 80,000. Figure the virus has been there at least a month and they have 200 confirmed cases. So if you were there for the last month, you had a .25% chance of getting it (1 in 400). Of course, it is probably getting more prevalent which increases the chances, but we'll be more cautious than most and only on St Martin for 3-4 days so chances drop significantly.  They have also increased fogging to kill the mosquitos.

I haven't heard anything about Anguilla but St Barts has a handful of reported cases. I think we'll be OK. Chances of getting a nasty hangover are much much greater.

#49 sugarbird

sugarbird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

FYI, three cases of Chikungunya were reported on Jost Van Dyke in the BVI this week, joining St. Martin, St. Barths, Guadeloupe & Martinique, according to the VI Daily News.

#50 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

Clean, did the CDC give you a breakdown of demographics as to who has contracted chikugunya? Tourists vs residents? This disease so far has impacted locals far more than tourists. Going back to my point about living conditions on the island.   Oh and I am sure everybody knows about the problem because A: Sailors gossip wore than old house maids B: Scare mongers rarely leave a stone unturned.

#51 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

CDC said none of the newest cases I ref'd in the most recent article were amongst people who traveled in the past 3 months.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users