What happened to the foiling Laser/Torch from PSA?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

The links I was aware of are dead and we never heard anything more of this.

Did any sell, is it real, or was this another tactic in the Laser court case?

Not bashing.  Am interested to see how its priced if its real and what availability is.

Regards,

Wess

#2 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

New website: http://www.glidefree.com.au/

#3 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

Thank you.  Sent them an inquiry.  Looks to be real on the face of it.

Has anyone gone and got one and used it?

#4 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Has anyone gone and got one and used it?

...when pigs fly!

.........oh,wait a minute! :mellow:

#5 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

While cool, it's like putting $5k worth of rims and tires on a Nissan sentra-

#6 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

The product is very well done by people who know what they are doing. I suspect that the performance is limited by the Laser, not having much righting moment and having a very poor rig. It looks like the basic components might be adaptable to other platforms, if the centreboard case insert was changed to suit. It may be worth a query with them if you are interested.

#7 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

$5k is a big ask.  If they cut $3k off that price, most would still balk, but they would reach a critical mass.  At $1k-$1500 pricepoint, they would get every single laser (mine included) that has been sitting in a backyard or garage unused for decades back out on the water.  They might have to eat some of that cost at the beginning, but they could sell a shit ton of these things and easily offset their tooling costs, which I have no doubt are substantial to them.

#8 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

despite the price the upwind aspect is not 'publically known'

i suspect the boat is displacement upwind 

#9 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

I don't know about that.  It wouldn't surprise me that the boat could foil just fine upwind, you would just need to bear off to get foiling and then head up.  I think I saw a video a while back of it doing just that actually. 

#10 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:14 AM

link

maybe with a test boat 'pointng' ie doing actual upwind vmgs?

#11 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

$5000 is what it costs to design, manufacture, and market. I doubt there is very much margin to mess with. They have a big investment to recover.

By comparison  a set of full carbon Mach 2 foils without tiller, wand and linkages cost about $A6700. They have been available for some time but AFIK no one has tried to put them on anything but a moth. So maybe all the (non Moth) internet foil fanatics do not really sail at all.

#12 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:56 AM

$5k is a big ask.  If they cut $3k off that price, most would still balk, but they would reach a critical mass.  At $1k-$1500 pricepoint, they would get every single laser (mine included) that has been sitting in a backyard or garage unused for decades back out on the water.  They might have to eat some of that cost at the beginning, but they could sell a shit ton of these things and easily offset their tooling costs, which I have no doubt are substantial to them.

I dunno, I haven't heard a single Laser sailor mention the boat. Mind you, I'm not sailing the Laser much at the moment - but if Laser sailors were into searing speed and cutting edge technology they wouldn't have bought a Laser in the first place.

The one brief sail that I had on a foiling Moth seemed to underline that (to me at least) foiling per se is fun but not all that amazing. Foiling at the speed the incredibly efficient Moth design achieves is a different story. I'm coming at it from my own angle (ie if I want to go fast and fly I'll grab a board) but I'm with those who say that for foiling, the Moth may offer a far superior package.

#13 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

$5000 is what it costs to design, manufacture, and market. I doubt there is very much margin to mess with. They have a big investment to recover.

By comparison  a set of full carbon Mach 2 foils without tiller, wand and linkages cost about $A6700. They have been available for some time but AFIK no one has tried to put them on anything but a moth. So maybe all the (non Moth) internet foil fanatics do not really sail at all.

But it still seems expensive compared to the high modulus carbon Mach 2 parts.

I expect the thought process is something like: if I drop $5k on a set of foils, I don't have a Laser anymore so might as well also spend $3.5k on a mast, boom and sail so it can make full use of the foils.  But then the hull is too heavy and the wrong shape, so might as well replace that with a light, skinny hull with wings … starting to sound a lot like your dream 14' foiler. :-)

#14 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

I think Rob crystalized my thoughts exactly.  There is no question in my mind that they have a large investment to recover, but the fact is that they have designed something (extruded AL) that they could legitimately sell for a lot less that $5k if were willing to east some losses up front.  If  shiny moth gear costs just a little bit more, then they have a problem, because as Rob points out, I might as well just get a moth and get in on that action, OR, I might just use a lot less than $5k to make my own foiling package for joyriding.  I know that's not practical for a lot of people obviously, but like I said, if they got the price point right, they could sell lots and lots of these things.  Chris, you mention that people you know haven't mentioned anything about these foils... my experience has been the opposite.  A lot of sailor friends of mine have brought up these foils and how expensive they are and how they would totally buy them they were less expensive.  Their motivations are similar to mine in that they can go for some joyrides and just have some fun.  If enough people get them... even better!  Then we could have some racing taking place.  If the developers manage to gain some critical mass at the price they have now, I think that would be great; I would be happy to see them succeed as they've come up a great addition to one of the most ubiquitous boats on the planet.  

I tried checking to see what RS600 foiling kits cost and I couldn't find anything on their site.  Anyone know what they charge(d) for them, or were they never really for sale?

#15 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Aluminium was probably a bad choice. A cheap material but expensive tooling. As many classes are finding that Carbon spars are better value than Alloy, so it would appear that Carbon is better material for foils and other high stressed structures. More so considering required finish for foils and durability.

#16 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,509 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

I have heard they are not answering e-mails lately.  Anyone able to get through?

#17 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

From what I understand they have used existing foil sections that are used for the rudders on 29ers etc, those dies have been in existence for years, so can't see what tooling costs there would be.

Maybe the whole idea was just a publicity stunt and there was no real plan to sell in quantity. If so they have set the price at the right point.

#18 bluelaser2

bluelaser2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Uh...Sailing ?

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

If they had a set for a Laser 2 @ 2 grand, I would order instantly.  $5K ain't fair to my kid's college fund just to indulge myself....perhaps if they can't make a viable business they will sell the designs/tooling to others who might..... there can't be more than a few hundred bucks of material in them...  

#19 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:32 AM

Clean you have just been to Aust and will have seen that almost everyone is on holidays from Christmas to the end of January. You might get an answer in a week or two.

I doubt the horizontal lifting foils are from the symmetrical 29er section but the verticals might be.

All those who think this kit is expensive obviously have never been involved in designing, making, producing and marketing of anything as complex. There would be near 20 individual components all of which have to be made to tight tolerances and then assembled in a manner that any mug can use it without stuffing things up.

I am not defending the gear or the concept, I doubt the foils will make a Laser sail any faster around a course, but I do know the two people involved and know the effort and time that they have put into the project. They are genuine enthusiasts who are not trying to rip off anyone, or become rich as a result. But they have invested considerable money in it and would prefer to get some back.

#20 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

They are genuine enthusiasts who are not trying to rip off anyone, or become rich as a result. But they have invested considerable money in it and would prefer to get some back.

....the message is clear--there's a lot of laser-punters who'd get a set if the up front bux weren't so high.

..........maybe your friends would do better if they re-couped their investment over a broader span of units

.........or perhaps there -is- some flow happening,,,and they'd prefer to keep a steady trickle rather than a tsunami,,,everything's a balance I guess.

#21 aus2479

aus2479

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

Not sure you can suddenly mass produce without investing even more money,the product IMHO is a bit rubbish anyway so the only reason why people would buy it is to race big fleets, just like the laser. A bit of a catch 22 really. Maybe they just need to sell them with new boats package so you don't need the standard foils too.

#22 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

....the message is clear--there's a lot of laser-punters who'd get a set if the up front bux weren't so high.
..........maybe your friends would do better if they re-couped their investment over a broader span of units

It probably means that there are a lot of laser punters who bought cheap, low quality, low performance boats, and hence are most unlikely to spend more money for any higher performance, either in another boat or bolt on accessory. After all there seems to be a lot of grumbling about the cost of laser sails when they are about half of what we pay for a reasonable moth sail.

But the Laser market is gigantic and there just might be enough people with interest and cash to make the enterprise viable.

#23 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

This is the mistake with a market like the Laser.  it makes sense in traditional dinghy markets where your appeal is raher limited so you have to start amortizing design and production costs right away.  In other words, its essentially custom production - like a custom built house or custom built software.

But OTOH, if you are expecting a mass market appeal, you look only to recoup your production costs and an ROI on the production costs.  Your desiign costs are amortized out over the full production run.  So even if they were say $100k,  over a production run of  10,000 units that works out to be $10/unit.   Pittance.

And your tooling costs - basically you assume you will run your tool until it fails and needs replacing.  These are AL foils  - your amortized per unit costs are arouund $3-$5 per unit for the mold

So assuming a production run of say 10,000 units (that's 5% market penetration of all boats sold)   If you sold them for $200 above cost of mfg  you would generate $2 million in revenue above direct costs.  Even if that's over 5 years that's still $400,000 per year of income, you can easily eat $100k of dev costs in that.

So figure that your stamping costs you $100/unit.  Assembly maybe another $100 and miscellaneouus parts around $200 - and you have 3 components - thats a very rough SWAG cost of mfg of $600.   $200 margin - is $800. 

Given that a laser SAIL is $600.... you up that to $950+ shipping.  And you really get a huge volume.

Now there is a gotcha in this.  You cannot bootstrap this.  you need an investor.  and that investor is going to take 50% of your profits

#24 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Wow, just wanted to track down a contact, not spawn all form of debate. SA seems so angry these days. I happen to have a race Laser and a 2nd beater Laser at home. Not sugesting anyone including me is going to go racing with these things. My interest was to see if they represented a simple, affordable way to go foiling. Earlier on-line unvalidated comments re pricing suggested the kit would be about the price ($5000 USD) of a used Moth in my area. Hard to justify it for giggles and shits if that was true, though the Moth has a pretty steep learning curve that the Laser version might not. Of course a used Moth has resale value while I doubt the foil kit for a Laser does. Anyway, just wanted to find out if they are real and what the real costs would be and if changes were needed to the boat that would mean it could not easily go back to OD status (they claim no issue but did not offer specifics).

I have heard they are not answering e-mails lately.  Anyone able to get through?

Not going to reproduce the emails here but yes they did respond to my initial email, answering some but not all (including price) questions. They seem to claim they will be ready to be selling unit is SH in "mid-January 2014" but not in NH for a few months (March, 2014). They also asked some questions (where do you sail, what do you sail) which I answered and I asked them pricing again. Got no response to that one.

Feels like a start-up trying to find their way...

Wess

#25 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Wow, just wanted to track down a contact, not spawn all form of debate. SA seems so angry these days. ................

Wess

...how does the saying go?......''opinions are like A-holes,,everyone's got one!''

.....I'd think the opinions expressed would turn out to be informative to the guys..........or not.

.....not so much 'angry' as 'tough crowd' as usual,,

,,something even the first sponsor of dinghy anarchy was warned about! ;)

.....it should be noted  that the comment ,,,,,''I'd buy one if........''.,,,is often BS :mellow:

#26 bluelaser2

bluelaser2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

I have the means and motive to buy......@ 2K, not $5K. That's really a wider gulf than it may appear....like rents and salaries, the distribution tails off mighty fast as you get near the top, and I expect the same for items of recreational equipment...

#27 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing, motorcycle road racing.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

I do also, and have the Hansen sail to use it with, but 2k deff as much as I'd pay also.

#28 sosoomii

sosoomii

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

Clean you have just been to Aust and will have seen that almost everyone is on holidays from Christmas to the end of January. You might get an answer in a week or two.I doubt the horizontal lifting foils are from the symmetrical 29er section but the verticals might be.All those who think this kit is expensive obviously have never been involved in designing, making, producing and marketing of anything as complex. There would be near 20 individual components all of which have to be made to tight tolerances and then assembled in a manner that any mug can use it without stuffing things up.I am not defending the gear or the concept, I doubt the foils will make a Laser sail any faster around a course, but I do know the two people involved and know the effort and time that they have put into the project. They are genuine enthusiasts who are not trying to rip off anyone, or become rich as a result. But they have invested considerable money in it and would prefer to get some back.

That's not he way real life works though. The price of an item has to b based on what the market will bear, not cost + 10%. If the bearable price is less than the cost then it isn't a viable product.
If this forum is representative (big if) 2k appears to be what folk are realistically willing to stump up.

#29 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing, motorcycle road racing.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

I unnerstand all concepts and pricing, have the receipts for my AC,18,000 dollars to build in 1997! But I also know what it's worth now and what I can sell it for. Think these will be  great toys and fun, but may not be affordable enough to warrant purchase. The Hansen sail was worth every bit of the $750 I paid and made the turd so much better to sail, hope a compromise will be reached and I'll have some.

Looking at the new C12 IC with kite for 25k, almost seems cheap!

#30 torrid

torrid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

I have not doubt it costs money to make equipment like this, and I certainly understand the need of the manufacturers to make a profit.  However if the price as is being floated around, I would seriously question the market for something like this that costs as much as the boat.  If the price were $2000, I would hem and haw but most likely buy one.

#31 surf_n_turf

surf_n_turf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Having a good time.

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:58 AM

Maybe AIG will underwrite a policy for me foiling on White Rock Lake.  Insuring those mortgage derivatives sure worked out well for them.   

#32 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

This is the mistake with a market like the Laser.  it makes sense in traditional dinghy markets where your appeal is raher limited so you have to start amortizing design and production costs right away.  In other words, its essentially custom production - like a custom built house or custom built software.

But OTOH, if you are expecting a mass market appeal, you look only to recoup your production costs and an ROI on the production costs.  Your desiign costs are amortized out over the full production run.  So even if they were say $100k,  over a production run of  10,000 units that works out to be $10/unit.   Pittance.

And your tooling costs - basically you assume you will run your tool until it fails and needs replacing.  These are AL foils  - your amortized per unit costs are arouund $3-$5 per unit for the mold

So assuming a production run of say 10,000 units (that's 5% market penetration of all boats sold)   If you sold them for $200 above cost of mfg  you would generate $2 million in revenue above direct costs.  Even if that's over 5 years that's still $400,000 per year of income, you can easily eat $100k of dev costs in that.

So figure that your stamping costs you $100/unit.  Assembly maybe another $100 and miscellaneouus parts around $200 - and you have 3 components - thats a very rough SWAG cost of mfg of $600.   $200 margin - is $800. 

Given that a laser SAIL is $600.... you up that to $950+ shipping.  And you really get a huge volume.

Now there is a gotcha in this.  You cannot bootstrap this.  you need an investor.  and that investor is going to take 50% of your profits

Absolutely!!  This could be a smashing success, but only if some entity with large pursestrings bankrolls the initial losses, until economy of scale makes it otherwise profitable...

#33 torrid

torrid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Maybe AIG will underwrite a policy for me foiling on White Rock Lake.  Insuring those mortgage derivatives sure worked out well for them.   

Isn't it rather shallow there?  I mean White Rock Lake, but I guess AIG too.

#34 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

This could be a smashing success, but only if some entity with large pursestrings bankrolls the initial losses, until economy of scale makes it otherwise profitable...

....in my books,,I'd certainly understand if they need to keep production small,,price high to start

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but this is all getting to be -too much speculation- as usual :mellow:

..........it'd be great if the 'Glidefree' guys chimed in 'bout now,,,,take advantage of the interest and curiosity....

.....or would they need to 'buy-an-ad' :unsure: :rolleyes:

#35 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

This could be a smashing success, but only if some entity with large pursestrings bankrolls the initial losses, until economy of scale makes it otherwise profitable...

....in my books,,I'd certainly understand if they need to keep production small,,price high to start

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but this is all getting to be -too much speculation- as usual :mellow:

..........it'd be great if the 'Glidefree' guys chimed in 'bout now,,,,take advantage of the interest and curiosity....

Well we could always have Dougie chime in...  The man who is "ready to foil" in every way except

The skills

the physical conditiioning

the cash to buy any sort of boat

The  willingness to learn what he doesn't know

#36 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Well we could always have Dougie chime in...  The man who is "ready to foil" in every way except

The skills

the physical conditiioning

the cash to buy any sort of boat

The  willingness to learn what he doesn't know

Why the ginormous hard-on for DL, BB??

#37 bluelaser2

bluelaser2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Too Fast to Fail !

#38 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

I have contact with the manufacturer of this product and can get you any answers you need. Sorry I haven't seen this thread till now. I will be in Contact with PSA this week on the Catamaran side of the business but can get Laser  , Glide Free info as well. Please contact me by PM with any questions.

The Web Pages were down for a rework for a while.

Sorry for the inconvience.

#39 Boundary Rider

Boundary Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:One design racing

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

Does anyone know if PSA intend to honour the usual (fit for purpose) warranty obligations if a Laser being used in the foiling configuration suffers hull or spar failure?

Plenty of people on this thread have questioned whether the transom and centreboard cases are up to the additional loads and it's hard enough to keep a Radial bottom section straight, even in non foiling mode.

I can't imagine any Laser dealer would be very interested in offering a warranty on a boat used in foiling configuration.

#40 surf_n_turf

surf_n_turf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Having a good time.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

Isn't it rather shallow there?  I mean White Rock Lake, but I guess AIG too.

Plenty deep enough thanks to yard sprinklers.  It's just full of tree trunks and debris from the creeks that feeds into it.  Occasionally a car.

#41 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

Does anyone know if PSA intend to honour the usual (fit for purpose) warranty obligations if a Laser being used in the foiling configuration suffers hull or spar failure?

Plenty of people on this thread have questioned whether the transom and centreboard cases are up to the additional loads and it's hard enough to keep a Radial bottom section straight, even in non foiling mode.

I can't imagine any Laser dealer would be very interested in offering a warranty on a boat used in foiling configuration.

I was told the PSA boats are warrantied either used as foiling or standard use mode. I will try to find the direct quote for you.

#42 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

PSA is out for a multitude of reasons. Glide free is the company marketing it now. 

#43 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:44 AM

GlideFree  ROTFLMAO!!!  doesn't Rastegar know how much it sounds like a product that should be advertising in Hustler or Playboy?

#44 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

…doesn't Rastegar…

I thought this was related to Performance Sailcraft Australia (PSA), the home page has a .au domain. Nothing to do with Rastegar or LaserPerformance (LP).

#45 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Price aside for the timebeing, this Laser package has tremendous potential-and not just on the Laser. It would be interesting to see mod kits for various other boats down the line. The guys behind this are original pioneers of small monohull foiling-they know what they're doing and they've come up with what looks like an excellent product. I wish them the best of luck!

#46 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

other than that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

Seriously Dougie  - "pricing aside" has always been the issue.  And it does not have "tremendous potential" outside of the Laser - precisely because tuning a set of foils for the right AoA and lift etc isn't ttrivial.  YOU of all people - who never fucking got your full sized boat to do anything other than pogo around like a sick Kangaroo ought know better than this.   

You don't know shite about the pioneers behind this so don't taint them by being a "fan".  Just shut the fuck up.

#47 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

…doesn't Rastegar…

I thought this was related to Performance Sailcraft Australia (PSA), the home page has a .au domain. Nothing to do with Rastegar or LaserPerformance (LP).

PSA is no longer involved with the program. Glide Free is doing the rest of the product Sorry but my information line is cut off.

#48 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

PSA is no longer involved with the program.

Yes, got that, just making a point.

Seems to me if Glide Free is serious they'll start turning up at some big Laser regattas and offer free rides, maybe sponsor a "Dash for Cash" with supplied gear, maybe hold a short race program for Glide Free Lasers, perhaps make the foils available to hire for trial events, etc.

Detailed pics on the site show a lot of engineering has gone into the product—a flip–up rudder where the horizontal stays horizontal whether up or down is a cool feature, as is the retractable centerboard. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into usability, a pity the marketing seems to be lagging (Glide Free—really?).

#49 Munter

Munter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

Glide free, keeps you dry.

#50 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

....Wet'nWILD,,,glide free puts you on TOP!! :) :P

#51 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

GlideFree  ROTFLMAO!!!  doesn't Rastegar know how much it sounds like a product that should be advertising in Hustler or Playboy?

Have to agree with you on this.  Sounds like a competitor of "Astro-Glide", or some other K-Y Jelly alternative... :D  :lol:

But, if they work; it would be really cool if some financier gets behind it, and produces them at an affordable cost.  It would surely be a money loser in the beginning, but a home run in the end.... :)

Comparing this to a foiling Moth is surely apples and oranges..

#52 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

Have to agree with you on this.  Sounds like a competitor of "Astro-Glide", or some other K-Y Jelly alternative... :D  :lol:

But, if they work; it would be really cool if some financier gets behind it, and produces them at an affordable cost.  It would surely be a money loser in the beginning, but a home run in the end.... :)

Comparing this to a foiling Moth is surely apples and oranges..

..certainly is 'apples to oranges',,,

,,,but yes if a ~$2G could be managed somehow,,,all the elements would be right for....dare I say,,,,

...................a 'People's Foiler' :o

#53 Cheap Jibes

Cheap Jibes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

I was told the PSA boats are warrantied either used as foiling or standard use mode. I will try to find the direct quote for you.

The wording of PSA's warranty policy (on their website) suggests that they probably wouldn't accept a warranty claim for failure sustained in foiling mode.

#54 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

Glide free. Foiled for your pleasure.

#55 torrid

torrid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Wait I got it.  To make sailing more appealing to an Olympic TV audience, the ISAF will pressure the ILCA to adopt the foiling hardware as class standard.

#56 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

Anything new on this??

#57 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

Still have a website with loads of pictures including the neutralizing rudder foil. http://glidefree.com.au/Homepage.html

Attached Files

#58 WestCoast

WestCoast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

GFD is working on lining up a number of dealers in the US to have foils and parts on hand this summer.

I believe some publicity and press for that announcement is coming in a few weeks.

#59 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

Looks like you can purchase now, but no US dealer yet?

http://www.glidefree.com.au/

#60 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Price now A$4500

#61 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

Price now A$4500

$4,226.85 USD according to XE.com.  Plus shipping, duty, state tax???

#62 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Price now A$4500

.....I hear they've hired extra front-end staff to handle the rush!  :mellow:

#63 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Price now A$4500

.....I hear they've hired extra front-end staff to handle the rush!  :mellow:

Yes, but the price is bound to come down when economies of scale kick-in, so long as they don't go bust first.  At some price point, having exclusive rights to North America could be fruitful..

#64 torrid

torrid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Looks like a complete folly and waste of money.

And I'm still in at $2k.

#65 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

"A complete foilly"  ???

#66 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

Those involved are very smart, and the work is very nicely done.

#67 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

The Director, Peter rang me up yesterday afternoon, after we had exchanged a few emails.  You can buy direct from them, and I do hope they succeed and the cost comes down.  Wishing them the best.

#68 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Yes, the article detailed all the effort expended, hard work done cleverly deserves recompense. Just alot of cabbage for a $1400 beater.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users