Moving to DC area - sailboat storage options?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 newshound

newshound

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:13 AM

Hi all,

I'm moving to the Washington DC area with an old, 14-foot O'Day Javelin sailboat. I'm looking for dry storage, preferably near the Washington Sailing Marina.

If I store at the Marina itself, their website says it will cost around $5.10 per foot or about 70 per month. I assume they allow the mast to stay up.

But like a lot of people, it will take less than two years 'til my storage payments equal the value of the boat.  Any ideas for cheaper storage? I'm fine with an Anarchist's barn or back yard and happy to pay a few bucks. Cheap storage lot is fine too. (The homeowners association doesn't allow boats in the street or driveway.)

I'd rather not try to sell before we leave. Besides, I kinda like the old girl.

#2 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

$70 month with mast does not look unreasonable in the DC area.   That is if you actually want to use the boat.  If you are just storing it then maybe you could find something better.

#3 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

Are you trying to sail this boat or just stick it in a barn someplace?

#4 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

park it on the street in front of your condo.  Ignore the tickets.  :-) 

Seriously - space is constrained, and storage is expensive in/near the city.  There are lots of store-more type places spread around, and outside storage there isn't expensive.  Your best bet may be to find someone local who's got space, and ask them to let you keep it in their driveway/garage/backyard.  Or - trade it to the sailing club in exchange for membership? 

#5 BlondeWithFreeBoat

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Things that float

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

I love that you have a Javelin. I had one as a kid, and never saw another after I sold it.

Are you set on keeping it in DC or would you consider keeping it outside the metro area? Might find some less expensive options if you have a car and can drive elsewhere (plus maybe find some water that is less skeevy than the potomac...ick)

#6 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,007 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

not a whole lot of barns close enough to sailable waters to make that a very viable option around here. Keeping it at the Sailing Marina with the stick up where you can push it to the hoist for that kinda money seems like a no brainer to me if you actually plan to get the boat wet. There might some cheaper options in AA or Calvert Co.  but the drive to the boat will probably make your forays out on to the water less frequent.

Belle Haven Marina(just south of Wilson Bridge) might be another option but they have limited onshore storage and if you don't have space by now, you probably wont get it for this season.

#7 DennisY

DennisY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Small high performance mono's and tri's. Red heads.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Sailed out Belle Haven a few with a friend in Alexandria. IIRC not many sailboats dry sailed and launching on weekends seemed a right clusterfuck at times. He has a slip so no problem there for him. Seemed mostly fishermen launching those bass boat things leaving parking at a premium.

#8 Lex Teredo

Lex Teredo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Beer, bikes, woodworking, and beer.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

If you have military or DoD ties you may be able to use the marina at Bolling AFB.  IIRC there are a bunch of masts sticking up over there in the water and on the hard. 

#9 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Good point Lex - depending upon where he's gonna be, Belvoir, Quantico and Indian Head may also be options. 

#10 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,007 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Sailed out Belle Haven a few with a friend in Alexandria. IIRC not many sailboats dry sailed and launching on weekends seemed a right clusterfuck at times. He has a slip so no problem there for him. Seemed mostly fishermen launching those bass boat things leaving parking at a premium.

yeah, but if it's small with a centerboard you can dolly launch on the carpet down by the sailing school docks and avoid the fisherman coming in and out of the ramp. I used to live there on a power boat and slid my laser in and out on the carpet all the time.

#11 DennisY

DennisY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Small high performance mono's and tri's. Red heads.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Only been a few times and didn't recall a sailing school there but that sounds a brilliant solution.

#12 Bsquared

Bsquared

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Absolute cheapest storage I found 20 miles south of DC was a State park, and it was 25 a month.  Better than 70, but still end up paying more for storage than the boat. I would offer my garage or backyard, but there's 4 boats there already :-(

PRSA is active with Lightnings, Hamptons, Albacores, Buccaneers, some cats, and Lasers in the winter; no Javelins.

#13 newshound

newshound

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:10 AM

Thanks very much, everybody. I do plan to sail it at least once a month and will try to latch on as crew for someone else's race boat.

That idea about donating the boat is interesting - I'll check that out. I'll be living near Reston, so it's gonna be a drive regardless. My employer does some work for DoD but wouldn't feel right working that angle.

I agree, the ability to store it with the mast up is probably worth it. Now to convince the Admiral.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users