4 replies to this topic

#1 Hobie18Jax

Hobie18Jax

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

About to start racing on a Carrera 290 that is new to the area. Anyone have experience/tips on this boat? We will be racing PHRF and some ocean races this year in Florida. My last boat was an Olson 30 but it got sold.

#2 hoofhearted

hoofhearted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Different boats had different mods all over the place over the years.  Putting out what mods that particular boat has would help. 

Very cool back in the day.  Pretty damn cool now.

#3 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

....and tender,

#4 Hobie18Jax

Hobie18Jax

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

This one is assy only and the owner just bought a HUGE assy sail. Going to have to brush up on my runner technique, been a while. Looks like a very bendy mast.

#5 Saboteer

Saboteer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:BOATS

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

I sail against a Carrerra 29 that is A-Sail only.  The kite is huge, size of a Henderson 30 kite.  The boat weights 3k and is a flying disc across the water when there's wind.  Locally it rates in the high 60's to mid 70's depending on the course.  The owner just recently replaced the aluminum rig with a carbon one to ease the ability to lower the rig for trailering.  The boat is very successful in the light stuff, mid range it can be beat, high breeze up wind it struggles but downwind it is a screamer.  Very wet as there is little to no freeboard and can be tender so work the main.  Otherwise enjoy collecting those pickle dishes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users