54 replies to this topic

#1 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

He started a bit later and is trailing Coville.

Tracking : http://maxi80-lamaur...addviso.org/en/

Prince de Bretagne web here .

Francis Joyon must be thrilled with 2 simultaneous attemps at 2 of his records  :)

Should be interesting to see the Atlantic race between this 2 till Lionel goes north in the Indian to Ile Maurice.

#2 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I imagine the extra 22 feet that Coville has could benefit him, just a tad 

#3 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Prince de Bretagne is a tad wider and very much lighter.

Will be interesting to compare till they part ways.

#4 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

He started a bit later and is trailing Coville.

Tracking : http://maxi80-lamaur...addviso.org/en/

Prince de Bretagne web here .

Francis Joyon must be thrilled with 2 simultaneous attemps at 2 of his records  :)

Should be interesting to see the Atlantic race between this 2 till Lionel goes north in the Indian to Ile Maurice.

From Francis' web site yesterday (v rought translation):

http://www.trimaran-...icle.asp?id=246

"Do not go too fast! "
Francis Joyon , " Thomas you leave to go to Brest Brest, Lionel you are going to leave Port- Louis to go to ... Port Louis ! In both cases these are two great tracks on the world's oceans . It is only Good Hope that your paths will diverge when Lionel ascend the Indian Ocean. I loved browsing these two great trips and I hope you will also lot of joy on these records, even if I know that the competition will be your main motivation.
I will follow your routes with passion, watch your trajectories, weather your strategy , your choice of course ... to see if you pick the course record , but also to compare your speed if, as is likely, you end up browsing close to one another. This will get some ideas from the perspective of the Route du Rhum and perhaps anticipate a little in this race where we will be this time at sea together, within a few months . In the meantime ... be careful not to go too fast ! "

#5 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:02 AM

Prince de Bretagne is now ahead of IDEC by 51 miles

#6 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

Thomas has gone more westward than Lionel, Cap Verd islands are less than 24 h away and just in front.

#7 ITA602

ITA602

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Sail more & work less, snowboarding, reading a good book.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

It will be great to have both of them on the same tracker...

#8 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Tracker with both boats on: http://volodiaja.net/Tracking/

#9 ronnie_simpson

ronnie_simpson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:offshore sailing - racing round the world, trans-oceanic, solo, cruising, deliveries, inshore racing. all of it.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:03 AM

Prince de Bretagne killing it! 360 miles ahead of the reference time and passing Sodebo right now as they're passing the Cape Verde's.

#10 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

Joyon set the time of reference to Maurice Island, but it was not really fast, IIRC there were some jokes about food lasting enough.

Lionel is keeping it's pace with Thomas, but will PdB be a contender with BP7 ? Last RdR Cammas seemed a lot faster on this boat.

#11 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Joyon set the time of reference to Maurice Island, but it was not really fast, IIRC there were some jokes about food lasting enough.

Lionel is keeping it's pace with Thomas, but will PdB be a contender with BP7 ? Last RdR Cammas seemed a lot faster on this boat.

That's exactly why Lionel selected that record. He knows he has no chance whatsoever to beat any of the other records set by larger tris.

#12 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Except that he was faster than Sodebo in the Northern Hemisphere trade winds... He was significantly behind Sodebo a few days ago but crossed the Equator ahead of him... 

#13 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Except that he was faster than Sodebo in the Northern Hemisphere trade winds... He was significantly behind Sodebo a few days ago but crossed the Equator ahead of him... 

So what? They are both in the doldrums. You easily gain lose or gain 100 Nm overnight in that area. (As did Coville vs virtual Joyon last night)

#14 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

That's exactly why Lionel selected that record. He knows he has no chance whatsoever to beat any of the other records set by larger tris.

Where did you read that Edouard?  Let me guess, he told you this before leaving. 

#15 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Er, common sense?

#16 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

Wouldn't common sense suggest that a boat designed to win the RDR would be capable of taking the Discovery Route record though?  

#17 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

Wouldn't common sense suggest that a boat designed to win the RDR would be capable of taking the Discovery Route record though?  

Whatever that is supposed to mean.

So, Mr Innuendo, how about some clear talk on your part for a change rather than your usual wishy washy  BS.

P.S: please only answer publicly on this thread, I have no use of some a-hole sending me derogatory private messages under the fallacious pretense that he does not want to "dragg this into the forums" while doing exactly that but this time without the meat.

#18 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

Sorry to question your authority on this subject. You didn't answer the question, but I'll leave you to it.

#19 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

And I was serious about not dragging it onto the forums, but you never replied, and I always wondered why. All I was asking was what your sources are for your info, because some of it sounds like pure conjecture. Didn't mean it to sound like harassment, and I apologize for that.

#20 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

Sorry to question your authority on this subject. You didn't answer the question, but I'll leave you to it.

And I was serious about not dragging it onto the forums, but you never replied, and I always wondered why. All I was asking was what your sources are for your info, because some of it sounds like pure conjecture. Didn't mean it to sound like harassment, and I apologize for that.

In both cases my "authority" comes from reading articles here or elsewhere. I sometimes (or even often) am wrong and when stand corrected by facts try to swallow my pride and thank my "corrector".

I didn't respond simply because this being a public forum I believe we all gain at having public disagreements insofar that onlookers with further info may intervene one way or the other to the benefit of all. It's so obvious to me I didn't even bother to consider further. In the specific case your message was about, someone else would have probably pointed out that I was mainly synthesizing information available on other threads of this forum.

#21 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

Thank you for clarifying that. I now have a better context in which to read your posts.

What the comment about Prince de Bretagne means, is that the boat was designed to win the RDR knowing full well which boats he'll be competing against. So you're suggestion that Lionel has no faith his boat can compete with the larger tris seems unlikey. Maybe VPLP was like " Sure Lionel, we'll take your sponsor's money, but you won't beat our 2010 winning design". They must have had some faith in their new design though.

#22 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

Thank you for clarifying that. I now have a better context in which to read your posts.

What the comment about Prince de Bretagne means, is that the boat was designed to win the RDR knowing full well which boats he'll be competing against. So you're suggestion that Lionel has no faith his boat can compete with the larger tris seems unlikey. Maybe VPLP was like " Sure Lionel, we'll take your sponsor's money, but you won't beat our 2010 winning design". They must have had some faith in their new design though.

He may have a faith in his boat in a race, which is very different from a record. In the later case you place yourself in specific conditions, whereas in the former you deal with whatever is thrown at you. Being smaller and easier to handle than the larger boats he may have a point when the going gets rough.

I can only notice that the boat "designed for the RdR" is currently trying to beat a record to Ile Maurice, while a tri designed to race with a crew and modified for solo racing is currently doing ... "la route de la decouverte". If Lionel really had faith in his boat he would be doing this record which has a route very similar to the RdR.

For the rest I will never underestimate the PR BS of every team. Prince de Bretagne is essentially a modified ORMA 60, and Lionel would probably have loved a budget to build a brand new 100 footer but didn't get it :). The same can be said of Sodebo's acquisition of Geronimo. They had their eyes on G3, but Banque Populaire was faster and they settled on modifying the "dinosaur" :). Same for VPLP modifying PdB or Multiplast modifying Geronimo. Of course they will do the job, it's not like they have thousands of customers eager to design/build high priced racing machinery. They will do whatever their client asks, and may even be honest enough to tell their client "you won't beat our 2010 winning design" with this.

#23 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:39 AM

You are making a huge number of assumptions which I disagree with, but given what you said above, I won't bother you about it anymore. Take care.

-R

#24 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

According to their website, Prince the Bretagne keeps the cross-arms, mast and sail plan and related stuff, and dagger board and foils and rudders of the ORMA.

The 3 hulls are brand new, almost as long as the floats of Idec or Sodebo. PdB weights 7.5 Tm, Sodebo 12 Tm.

And for the little while that Thomas and Lionel have been going down in parallel, PdB has been faster.

Even if Lionel when contacted by radio has dismissed the importance of this in account of Sodebo being loaded for a Round the World and he having to do less than half the distance. How much does 40 days of extra dehydrated food weight ? Which impact will this weight have on a 12 Tm boat ?

The Maurice record is relatively easy to grasp, the Discovery Route is not: Thomas and Joyon have been at it for a while, and you need a very good weather window to get a decent try to beat Joyon's last run.

Maybe PdB/Lionel were not willing to wait for a window that could not appear and decided to have a better oportunity at both: trying (=training & exposure) and succeeding (=happy sponsor), with the Maurice.

Maybe Lionel and Armel throw a coin to see who was going to try what.

There are too many factors to make this kind of decision unknown to me to draw any conclusions from it.

#25 Corley_

Corley_

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:12 AM

Rumour is that Geronimo is getting new hulls at Multiplast and appears to only be retaining the beam structure I'm not sure if that was the initial intention or not but it appears that it will be a more thorough rebuild than what was originally suggested.     

#26 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

See my post #49 here:
http://forums.sailin...howtopic=152739

I am not saying that since then they have decided to change also the floats; but at the time of that video, the plan was to keep the floats and the beams from Geronimo.
The main hull will be new, and the mast will be new (further aft, and with a bigger span, which could mean, with a shorter boom, a taller mast, or both...).

#27 Corley_

Corley_

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Laurent, that's interesting information wonder what will finally roll out of the shed. 

#28 halfton

halfton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

PDB activated her emergency beacon few hours ago.

#29 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

http://maxi80-lamaur...addviso.org/fr/

Official tracker seems to be offline

#30 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

"@baiedemorlaix Lemonchois, qui déclenché sa balise de détresse à 800 milles au large du Brésil, a chaviré"

Lemonchois who triggered his distress beacon 800 miles off Brazil, capsized

#31 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

"@baiedemorlaix Lemonchois, qui déclenché sa balise de détresse à 800 milles au large du Brésil, a chaviré"

Lemonchois who triggered his distress beacon 800 miles off Brazil, capsized

shit

#32 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

aac0235d65a530bfd795bbb067175994.png

It looks like Coville is making his way towards Lemonchois

"Après avoir déclenché sa balise de détresse en milieu d’après midi à 800 milles au large des côtes Brésiliennes ce lundi, Lionel Lemonchois a eu un bref contact téléphonique avec son équipe à terre en soirée. 

Ce dernier a informé, que son multicoque avait chaviré, qu’il était en sécurité à l’intérieur de la coque centrale après avoir libéré le gréement afin de soulager le bateau."

After triggering the beacon mid afternoon 800 miles off the Brazilian coast on Monday, Lionel Lemonchois had a brief telephone contact with his team ashore in the evening.
He informed that his capsized multihull, he was safe inside the central hull after releasing the rig to relieve the boat.

#33 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars-Fast Boats-Fast Woman and Beer

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

So sorry to hear this but can't say I'm that surprised........hope all is retrievable and he gets back on the horse.

#34 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Latest from the twitter is that he's cut away the rigging and he's safe in the central hull awaiting rescue.

#35 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

Too bad :(

#36 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

that is a great shame he was doing really well.  sad

#37 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Wow, to bad, he was sailing awesome...

#38 Corley_

Corley_

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

It will be interesting to see how the recovery operation will play out a slow tow upside down to Brazil?  Then transport by ship to Lorient for repairs?  It's going to be tough to have the boat ready for the Route du Rhum now.

#39 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:16 AM

What a bummer! Maybe Coville was on to something when he let him sail on by.

#40 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

It truly is a bummer but they are (were) sailing with different objectives.

#41 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,541 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

Suite à son chavirage survenu hier en milieu d'après-midi, à plus de 800 milles au large d es côtes Brésiliennes, alors qu'il progressait au près et s'est fait surprendre par un grain, Lionel Lemonchois, seulement légèrement blessé à la main, a fait part de son souhait de rester à bord de son Maxi80 Prince de Bretagne et d'organiser le rapatriement de celui-ci.

Le CROSS Gris-Nez a été informé dès hier soir de sa demande et reste en surveillance, suivant ainsi l'évolution de la situation. En parallèle, le team technique du skipper s'est mobilisé pour envoyer une équipe au Brésil au plus tôt afin de lancer les opérations de sauvetage et de remorquage du trimaran dont la balise continue d'émettre. Ces opérations devraient s'étendre sur plusieurs jours mais Lionel est  en sécurité dans la coque centrale de son bateau et ne manque ni d'eau, ni de nourriture.

Google Trans:

Following the capsizing occurred yesterday in the middle of the afternoon, more than 800 miles off the Brazilian coast d es, then it progressed to close and was caught by a grain, Lionel Lemonchois, only slightly injured hand, expressed his desire to stay aboard his Maxi80 Prince de Bretagne and organize the repatriation of it. 

CROSS Gris Nez was informed yesterday from its application and remains under surveillance, thus following the evolution of the situation. In parallel, the technical team skipper mobilized to send a team in Brazil earlier to launch rescue and towing trimaran whose tag continues to send. These operations should be spread over several days, but Lionel is safe in the central hull of his boat and lacks neither water nor food.

#42 ronnie_simpson

ronnie_simpson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:offshore sailing - racing round the world, trans-oceanic, solo, cruising, deliveries, inshore racing. all of it.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Latest Google-translated presser from PdB:

The rescue plan into action
Since yesterday evening, the bailout Lemonchois and recovery Maxi80 is running. The team of Prince de Bretagne , who studied all the possible solutions , has already implemented various operations , starting with the mobilization of a crew of four ( Frédéric Le Peutrec , Patrice Richardot Gurloës Merrien and Quentin MONEGIER ) will fly at the end of the afternoon in the direction of Rio de Janeiro , where she is expected at 7 am local time tomorrow morning . At that time , two others ( Helfer and Guillaume Didier Le Vourc'h ) take off in turn to South America to lend a hand on site. In addition, two local coordinators are already hard at # 8220 ; PIECE to prepare the necessary equipment. Their goal: to organize towing trimaran in coordination with Arnaud Aubry, remained at Lorient in constant contact with Lionel .

Recall that the multihull is now more than 800 miles from the Brazilian coast abeam of the island Trinidad, with his skipper on board who hoped to stay put after capsizing occurred yesterday between 3:30 p.m. ET 16h . "The trimaran is secure, the central hull is not damaged and there is no risk of dislocation. I have with me the Iridium rescue boat and easy access to food and water. Same as regards the BIB ( liferaft ) if I were to need it , "said the head of the browser Prince de Bretagne with whom he could share in mid- day , noting also that his hand injury was not serious, that '' it drifted due 25 to 30 miles a day in the direction of Salvador de Bahia, the sea was calm and it was raining heavily. In return, the double winner of the Route du Rhum was assured of the confidence and unwavering support of the Breton farmers in the event it passes. For now, he is preparing for a long wait since the tug chartered by the team will not be in the zone for at least five days.

We will inform you of the progress of the operation .

#43 Kenny Dumas

Kenny Dumas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

I'd guess the center hull may even be dry with the dihedral on the amas and no rig to keep it from riding over the waves?

#44 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Still awaiting rescue.

Posted today : http://www.courseaul...la-chaleur.html

LIONEL LEMONCHOIS SUFFERS FROM HEAT

Lorient - Mauritius / Friday 31 January 2014 Island

While activates technical team to gather all the necessary equipment repatriation and reversal of Maxi80 Prince de Bretagne , Lionel Lemonchois not idle either. For two days , he made ​​sure to prepare the platform for the upcoming operation and thus secures what might be likely to be thrown when the trimaran will be given to the place. Yesterday he cleaned the inside of the central hull which had spread the engine oil during capsize . He said he suffered a bit of heat. And due to the latitude where it is located, the temperature during the day cheerfully than 40 ° C. He also said that the swell was a little flattened since last night and the boat was slamming , thus a little less. What allow him to sleep almost correctly and gradually resume a rate earthling . Finally, he expressed his astonishment see neither bird nor fish around him , they obviously preferring shallow waters .

#45 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

Rescue party is under way. In about 5 days they should be trying to up turn PdB.

#46 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Today is Lionel's birthday. 

#47 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

Translation of a sat phone interview with Lionel Lemonchois by a journalist, Aline Merret, from "Le Télégramme de Brest", published on www.courseaularge.com

Lionel Lemonchois capsized 8 days ago in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean during his record attempt on "La Mauricienne"; still on board "Prince de Bretagne", upside down, he is waiting for his team coming on site with a tow boat, from RIo. They should be at his location in about 2 days. Aline Merret has been able to contact him by sat phone.

Can you tell us what happened during the capsize?
I was sailing close hauled, in 16-17 knots of wind, getting lighter. I had full main and solent. I decided to take some rest inside: I hadn't done so for several days... The wind picked up. When I eased the sheets, the sails did not move: the sheets had dried up around the winches... It just boils down to a few seconds delay in the easing out of the sheets. A stupid and unforgiving accident.

Then you had to secure the boat?
I had only one thing in mind. Since there was a residual swell, I was afraid that the mast could damage the boat from underneath. Quickly, I got into the water and cut all I could get to. I freed the rig in order to save the boat. There is nothing left underneath the boat. The mast was not recoverable anyway; it had broken in two pieces during the capsize.

Since then, how do you live this waiting period?
I have ups and downs... I try to keep my mind busy and not think about the time passing by. I fix a few things. If I can, I get on the boat to recover lines and running rigging...whatever I can. There is no water ingress inside. I just have to wipe it up once in a while. It is mainly the heat that is difficult to cope with. I have to close the escape hatch to keep the water out. It quickly becomes unbearable inside.

Have you seen other boats?
Monday, for the first time. I am in an area outside all regular traffic lanes. A small sailing boat from Argentina, coming from Cape Town and going to Rio, stopped by. It was crazy. They were more worried than I was. They could not understand that I wanted to stay on my boat, upside down. They wanted to take me away. I had a really hard time to make them understand that I wanted to stay. Other than that, there is nobody, neither on the water nor in the sky.

When do you think the tow boat will arrive?
Yesterday noon, the boat was 420 miles away. At the speed it is going, it should be here within 2 and ½ or 3 days… At least, I hope so!!

What happens next?
As soon as the team is here, we will put the boat back up. We will fill up one of the floats with water and pull on the opposite float. After that, we empty the flooded ama. It has been done before. It should be OK. The tow boat is coming from Rio, so that’s where we are going back, with the multihull in tow. It is the closest large harbor to set up a shipment of the trimaran, back to Europe.

#48 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

The tow boat will reach Lionel tonight.

I assume they will over turn Prince de Bretagne tomorrow in daylight.

Edit: just found a tweet confirming this.

#49 QBF

QBF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Interests:My Dog, writing my dog's blog, and sailing.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

The latest tweet from the Prince de Bretagne website states the tug is now along side the trimaran.

"Les 2 bateaux sont maintenant cote a cote! La delivrance pr Lionel qui va retrouver de la compagnie & preparer le retournement."

#50 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

Last tweet:

Prince de Bretagne is up side up again. Everything went acording to plan.

Details tomorrow, photos will have to wait a little more.

#51 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the updates, JPS.  

#52 QBF

QBF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Prince de Bretagne is right-side-up, and is being towed at 6 knots to Rio de Janeiro. 

Lionel Lemonchois did have an encounter with a Russian flagged freighter, who stood off about 1/4 mile, but never answered the tugs VHF calls. Mr. Lemonchois said he did not want to think about a possible outcome had the tug not been there, and he had been alone

Attached is a drawing from the PdP Facebook page on how their righted the trimaran.

Attached Files

#53 QBF

QBF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

The Pdp website just announced that the Prince de Bretagne tri has arrived in Rio de Janeiro.

The website states that Lionel Lemonchois is detremined to have his boat ready to race in the 2014 Route du Rhum.

Attached Files

#54 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

Video of the up turning in their web site:

http://www.voile.pri...dia/videos.html

It seems easy, but apparently it was not on first try.

#55 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

PDB was loaded April 1 onto the cargo which will bring her back to France leaving Brazil April 2.

https://twitter.com/trimaranpdb

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multihull, Lemonchois

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users