3 replies to this topic

#1 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,195 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

narrated in the way only the 70;'s could be narrated... neat stuff, though. fucker's were nuts... 

#2 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,794 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:52 AM

Cool vid.

I used to own and (timidly) fly a fairly early one about 30 years ago, the Bill Bennett Delta Wing.

They were a lot better by that point though, the wings were mostly supported by a full spar. The generation before that one were the death traps, the wings were held rigid by stainless cables (and sometimes some home brew not stainless). If a top guy snapped, the wings would fold like a Japanese paper lantern and fly about as effectively as a Japanese paper lantern.

#3 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,334 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

I had and flew an old Phantom kite. My last attempt was off a 1200' hill on the next ridge over from my house where they now fly para-sails.

Took three tries, stalled and dropped into the mansanita. My knees were knocking so I packed it up.

Last I saw of it was laying alongside the house I sold in Texas. Best thing I ever did with that thing.

Those were the days where you would find people launching off anything that would give them some air. Use to fly off a hill behind a school in San Jose area and land in the play yard scattering baseball players in the process. Got my card but never got certified. Self taught.

Good times.

#4 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

http://www.flystanwe...tanwell-history

bald hill stanwell park 1978

0 user(s) are reading this topic