206 replies to this topic

#1 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Its been a while since I got a decent recipe off this place. I used to see them all the time, but I think that might have been in PA, which I rarely wander into this days.

Last night my daughter requested MSGs Spaghetti Carbanara. One of our family favorites now.

So? Whatcha got?

#2 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Try your hand at one of my faves----mussels marinara. I've only made it once (many years ago) and it was ok, but now that I'm a much better cook I think I'll try it again this weekend and report back....

#3 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,394 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Fish n Grits. Cook 'em anyway you like just use real grits and eat 'em together.

#4 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

Tips and tricks for a good Paella recepe would be nice...  I have the pan and the outside burner, Just can't seem to get the timing right at 5280 ft...... 

#5 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Paella's actually pretty f'ng easy. You just have to get your yellow (saffron) rice cooked perfectly. The seafood part is simple too, as it cooks rather quickly. Biggest neccessity/hurdle is getting the fresh bugs, fish, mussels, clams, ocotpus and shrimp. All on the same flight, and on the same day.....:lol:

#6 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,392 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Linguinni w/ clamm sause

#7 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

Linguinni w/ clamm sause

Or as my Dad used to call it, Pussy & noodles.....

#8 #13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Interests:Antrim 27 and Mercury owner

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Any interest in my cassoulet recipe?

#9 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Tips and tricks for a good Paella recepe would be nice...  I have the pan and the outside burner, Just can't seem to get the timing right at 5280 ft...... 

a heavy pan....good olive oil and the rice needs to almost burn n the bottom of the pan (almost not completely..more like form a crust) don;t put a top on the pan while the rice is cooking.  

chicken 1st, then sausage (chorizo), then veggies, then chicken broth  then rice,  just before rice is done, then seafood (first shrimp,scallops, etc, then shellfish.  )

#10 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

Its been a while since I got a decent recipe off this place. I used to see them all the time, but I think that might have been in PA, which I rarely wander into this days.

Last night my daughter requested MSGs Spaghetti Carbanara. One of our family favorites now.

So? Whatcha got?

first of all, it's carbOnara.

here are some:

http://www.jamieoliv...gette-carbonara

http://www.jamieoliv... Carbonara/1538

http://www.nigella.c...a-carbonara-127

http://www.nigella.c...-carbonara-1731

http://www.foodnetwo...ara-recipe.html

#11 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Paella's actually pretty f'ng easy. You just have to get your yellow (saffron) rice cooked perfectly. The seafood part is simple too, as it cooks rather quickly. Biggest neccessity/hurdle is getting the fresh bugs, fish, mussels, clams, ocotpus and shrimp. All on the same flight, and on the same day..... :lol:

And here is where the controversy begins.  A couple of Spanish architects that worked for me would go apoplectic if seafood got anywhere near their Paella.

#12 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Paella's actually pretty f'ng easy. You just have to get your yellow (saffron) rice cooked perfectly. The seafood part is simple too, as it cooks rather quickly. Biggest neccessity/hurdle is getting the fresh bugs, fish, mussels, clams, ocotpus and shrimp. All on the same flight, and on the same day..... :lol:

And here is where the controversy begins.  A couple of Spanish architects that worked for me would go apoplectic if seafood got anywhere near their Paella.

Jfc, what do they think paella is? A g-damn dessert?.....

#13 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

How about bacon?

1 pork belly.

Rinse well.

Brine with salt and water for 2 days. Use the egg float trick for your brine. Keep @ 34 degrees or a little colder.

Soak in cold fresh water for 24 hours to pull out extra salt. No lower than 34 degrees (no salt means it'll freeze).

Hang in fridge for 2 days to dry. Give it a good coat of maple syrup and honey.

Rinse and pat dry.  Cover with brown sugar.  Hang in smoker @ 75-78 degrees with hickory and alder for 11 hours or so. Until it looks and smells good enough you're about to go suicidal.

Scrape off brown sugar.  Refridgerate for 24 hours. Slice. Enjoy.

#14 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,394 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

courgette flowers. I learn something new every day, thanks.

#15 mainsheetsister

mainsheetsister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:sarcasm
    and
    the sky

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

So? Whatcha got?

Can you please post her recipe?  I don't have it.

#16 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

It's about the conejo, or perhaps a bit of pollo.  Actually it's about the saffron rice done over a fire.

#17 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

So? Whatcha got?

Oooh, this thread will have some legs now!

#18 mainsheetsister

mainsheetsister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
    and
    the sky

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

I make my own granola, and it is fucking awesome!

Fucking Awesome Granola

In your largest stainless steel mixing bowl (mine is about 32 cups), blend any combination of nuts, seeds, or whole rolled grains, such as old-fashioned oatmeal.  My current favorite mix is walnut pieces, pecan pieces, whole almonds, slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.

Sprinkle about a half-cup of brown sugar over the nuts, seeds, and grains.

In a small saucepan, blend 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, 1/3 cup canola oil, and 2 T water.  Bring to a boil.

Pour the boiled syrup over the nut mixture, aiming for the brown sugar so it melts quickly.  Stir the mixture to coat everything with yummy goodness.

Bake for one hour at 250F, stirring every 15 minutes.

Cool completely before storage.  I leave it on the kitchen counter in the bowl overnight, covered with a clean towel.  Store in airtight container.

#19 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

If your cassoulet recipe is good, hell yes I'm interested.

My best recipe is gumbo; either Seafood with Venison Sausage or Smoked Turkey with Venison Sausage, but they've been posted before. Anybody interested just let me know.

#20 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Venison Pinwheels

I went to a friends ranch last year and dubiously tried these. I couldn't believe how good it was.

Start with a whole backstap and cut it down the center almost all the way through. Then work each side so that you effectively wind up with a sheet of backstrap meat about 5-6 inches wide and 12 inches long (or however long your backstrap is). Cover it with plastic wrap and pound it until it's about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with Tony Chachere seasoning then spread with soft cream cheese. Finally top with chopped jalapenos. If using from a bottle be sure to rinse them first. Then roll up like a jelly roll from the end.

Finally wrap with THIN sliced bacon and secure with tooth picks. You want thin sliced so you don't overcook the venison. Cook the roll over a medium fire until the bacon is well cooked. At this point the venison should be about medium rare. Take off fire and let rest for 5 minutes, then slice into pinwheels. Enjoy!

#21 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Location:Tinh Gia, Central North Province, Vietnam, but I still call Australia home.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

Mrs Leka makes a very nice Zucchini Slice that is perfect for boat food (Option 2 is best) that I will trade for some hints/recipes on smoking.

Smoker will be a wok with alum foil in bottom and wood chips on top, a grate at mid level and some sort of lid/cover on a stove top.

Any hints will be welcome.

Zucchini Slice Recipe.

INGREDIENTS:

4 average size zucchinis (approx. 6”), ends removed and grated

3 rashes bacon, diced

1 medium onion, finely chopped

4 eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup cheddar cheese, grated plus extra ½ cup for topping

1 cup self-raising flour

½ cup oil  (I use vegetable or sunflower)

METHOD:

In a large bowl mix together zucchinis, bacon, 1 cup cheese, onion.

Add flour and mix well, add beaten eggs and oil and mix.

Option 1.

Pour in to Pyrex dish (approx. 12” x 9”) top with remaining cheese and bake in pre heated moderate oven (180c/350F) for about 45 minutes, or until set and golden on top. You can check with a skewer.

Allow to cool, then cut in to squares. (don’t cut while still hot, it will just break up)

Option 2.

Fill muffin cups a little below the top and top with some cheese. (I baked these a little lower, 160c for about 45 mins) You can check with skewer that it comes out clean.

Both versions are nice warm or cold.

#22 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

ok..

super bowl is coming up so this installment of recipes is titled : dips

heart attach dip :

8x8 glass baking dish (kind you use for brownies)

2-3  packages of cream cheese schmeered into the dish.

crumbly bacon pieces scattered on top (lots :-)

1 cup grated pepper jack cheese, 1 cup grated cheddar cheese sprinkled on top

2 finely diced jalapenos on top of that

1/2 package of crumbled ritz crackers sprinkled all over the top

bake 375 for about 15 min or until the crackers start to lightly toast and the cheese starts to ooze...

use more crackers or whatever to dip into.

my version of Texas cavier...

2 large cans of cooked black eye peas, rinsed, into a large bowl

1 diced red onion

3 diced jalapenos

1 diced scotch bonnet (for real heat)

1 lb. cooked bacon crumbled into bowl

handlfull of chopped cilantro

your favorite vinaigrette (I make a dijon mustard/white wine vinaigrette,olive oil)

mix all together let marinate for at least 2 hrs.

use garlic crackers to eat

#23 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:06 AM

OK, I'll jump on Superbowl food.  I've posted this before but I've always gone home empty handed.  Get some food service gloves for this one or don't pee/touch your face for a few days.

Atomic Buffalo Turds -

Jalepanos. Cut in half and scrape out. Leave more in for hotter.

Cream cheese. Smear in jalepeno half.

'Lil Smokies. Put in jalepano half.

Bacon. Cook in a pan for a bit, then wrap jalepano with a strip of bacon.

Toothpicks. To pin the mess together.

Grill/Smoker.  275ish until the bacon is crispy.

Enjoy the sunshine of success.

#24 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

Replace the mini-dick with a tuna, cilantro, chopped tomato, minced red onion, garlic, red pepper seeds & cumin mix. Just for drill.......:lol:...

#25 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:40 AM

So? Whatcha got?

I will tomorrow when I am on the computer

#26 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:00 AM

Try your hand at one of my faves----mussels marinara. I've only made it once (many years ago) and it was ok, but now that I'm a much better cook I think I'll try it again this weekend and report back....

OK, we disagree about Paella. . . Paella with shellfish is something different.

But, I'd love your mussels Marinara recipe.  

I raise bivalves on my beach: 3,500 Pacific oysters, 12,000 Manila clams, 15,000 Mediterranean mussels, and as much Dungeness crab as the season allows.  Come visit, and I'll share, but you have to cook.

#27 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:02 AM

My great-grandmother's eastern-shore crabcake recipe

for every 1lb of LUMP backfin:

Dijon Mustard, Mayo and worcestershire (keep it thick - it's gotta hold the crabmeat together til it's got a bottom crust)

Old Bay & celery seed to taste

Kosher Salt

Olive Oil/Vegetable Oil

Butter

gently hand-fold the crabmeat into the mustard/mayo/worcestershire mix. 

Grab a handful, make a ball. 

Get the oil/butter hot in the skillet (when sprinkled water dances, it's ready), sprinkle a 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt right under where your lump of crabmeat's gonna hit the oil.  

Gently place your ball of crabmeat down in the hot oil (GENTLY, or it'll fall apart!) 

Sprinkle the top w/Old Bay and celery seed

Wait 'til you see a golden crust form underneath at the top of the oil's surface (usually about 3 minutes), then, GENTLY lift w/a spatula, and while holding the uncooked top against the spatula w/your hand, GENTLY flip it and place the uncooked side down into the oil.   LEAVE IT ALONE 'til you see a golden crust on the bottom.  Gently lift from the oil, place on a platter covered w/paper towels to drain. 

If you buy cheap crabmeat, you can use breadcrumbs. If you've got good stuff, you won't need 'em. 

#28 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

My great-grandmother's eastern-shore crabcake recipe

for every 1lb of LUMP backfin:

Dijon Mustard, Mayo and worcestershire (keep it thick - it's gotta hold the crabmeat together til it's got a bottom crust)

Old Bay & celery seed to taste

Kosher Salt

Olive Oil/Vegetable Oil

Butter

gently hand-fold the crabmeat into the mustard/mayo/worcestershire mix. 

Grab a handful, make a ball. 

Get the oil/butter hot in the skillet (when sprinkled water dances, it's ready), sprinkle a 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt right under where your lump of crabmeat's gonna hit the oil.  

Gently place your ball of crabmeat down in the hot oil (GENTLY, or it'll fall apart!) 

Sprinkle the top w/Old Bay and celery seed

Wait 'til you see a golden crust form underneath at the top of the oil's surface (usually about 3 minutes), then, GENTLY lift w/a spatula, and while holding the uncooked top against the spatula w/your hand, GENTLY flip it and place the uncooked side down into the oil.   LEAVE IT ALONE 'til you see a golden crust on the bottom.  Gently lift from the oil, place on a platter covered w/paper towels to drain. 

If you buy cheap crabmeat, you can use breadcrumbs. If you've got good stuff, you won't need 'em. 

Well done!

#29 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:10 AM

I raise bivalves on my beach: 3,500 Pacific oysters, 12,000 Manila clams, 15,000 Mediterranean mussels, and as much Dungeness crab as the season allows.  Come visit, and I'll share, but you have to cook.

Are you shitting me? Most people know in Hell-A only raise pot and pit bulls.I am suitably impressed....

#30 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:33 AM

Hell-A?  

Anacortes is God's gift to historical maritime communities.  Oracle and Oracle/BMW have built their "yachts" here for 3+ generations, and brought the AC trophy here last month to share with the AYC and the community.  The stealth French designers with their $400 backpacks used my conference room for early planning. Their "build" brain trust now live here. I suspect that they will be back soon to share their $$$.

The head shop on the corner for medical vegetation is open, but not quite recreational yet. No pit bulls in the neighborhood. . . just a few coyotes.

I'm waiting for a -1.0 low tide in daylight to harvest.  A couple of months to wait to avoid discomfort. . . sailing is for that this time of year.  Damn.

#31 gina

gina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:56 AM

I have not had any luck searching for a good arroz con pollo recipe. Anyone??? I can trade you my famous meatball recipe if you want!

#32 #13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:13 AM

If your cassoulet recipe is good, hell yes I'm interested.

My best recipe is gumbo; either Seafood with Venison Sausage or Smoked Turkey with Venison Sausage, but they've been posted before. Anybody interested just let me know.

Well received every time it's served, and it freezes well.

Think of it as an 'almost' healthy, Americanized version, as follows (a certain disdain for high-Frenchiness led to the use of my name in Spanish in the title):

Cassoulet Esteban

Serves 8.  Derived from several recipes and experiments.  Freezes well.

Ingredients: 10 (3lbs)

Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.  Note:  after browning, cut smaller.

2 tbsp

Vegetable oil

~1 lb

Boneless Boston Butt pork cut into 1” chunk

Garlic cloves, minced

1 or 2

Onion, yellow and / or white, minced

1 tbsp

Tomato paste

4 cups

Low sodium chicken broth (3-4 14oz cans)

1 ½ cup

Dry white wine

½ cup

dry vermouth (recommend Vya)

14.5oz can diced tomatoes, drained

Sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ tspn dried

Bay leaves

¼ tspn

Cloves (ground)

5 or 6

Cans of White beans (great northern, cannellini, etc.)  Try a mixture- 2 of each.

1 lb

Turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced ¼ inch thick

Salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat until just smoking.  Brown the kielbasa, remove from heat, and reserve for later addition to the almost finished Dutch oven pot.  Pat dry with paper towel.
  2. Dry the chicken with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.  Bring the oil in the large Dutch oven over medium high heat back to just smoking.  Brown half of the chicken, about 10 minutes, and then transfer to a cutting board to remove the skin and cut into smaller pieces.  Return the Dutch oven with any rendered fat to medium high heat and repeat with the remaining chicken.  Your sizing goal is just larger than bite size pieces.
  3. Pat the pork (Boston Butt) dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.  Pour off all but 2 or 3 tablespoons of rendered fat in the large Dutch oven and place over medium heat until just smoking.  Brown the pork, about 10 minutes.  OPTIONAL Ingredient:  ~2 tbsp of prosciutto heel, diced into small pieces for added salty pork flavor.
  4. Stir in the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds.  Stir in the broth, wine, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and cloves, scraping up any browned bits.  Return the chicken thighs with any accumulated juice to the pot and submerge them in the liquid.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 40 minutes or so.  Longer is fine, too.
  5. Rinse all of the beans thoroughly with fresh water (recommend using a colander).  Place the beans into another large pot with a 2 cups of chicken broth and a ½ cup of vermouth (recommend the Vya dry vermouth for flavor).  Bring to a brief boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook for 30+ minutes.  If beans start to dry, add chicken broth as needed.
  6. Remove the Dutch oven cover and continue to simmer until the chicken and pork are fully tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
  7. Approximately 10 or 15 minutes before cooking in the large Dutch oven is complete, return the kielbasa to the pot and submerge, allowing it to integrate into the mixture.  This helps the kielbasa maintain it’s own flavor.
  8. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.  Take the large Dutch oven off the heat and let slightly cool before assembling into the casserole dish.
  9. Now that both pots (large Dutch oven with meats and large pot with beans) have cooked (~1 hour or so for meat, ~30 minutes or so for beans), and cooled slightly, it is time to assemble them into a 9 x 13 casserole dish for baking.  First, place a layer of meat products (remove bones and connective bits) into the dish, adding some of the juice from the meat pot.  Now layer beans on top of the meat using a large slotted spoon so that the beans drain.  Now add a second layer of meat, this time with less juice than the first layer, on top of the meat / bean layers already in the dish.  Finally cap the dish with remaining beans, discarding any that are not needed, so that the entire casserole dish is capped with beans.  A cross-section of the finished assembly will look like meat with juice on the bottom; beans; meat with far less juice; and a bean cap on top.
  10. Final step:  place the casserole dish into a pre-heated oven set at 350 for one hour.  Every 15 or 20 minutes (when the top layer of beans has crusted) open the oven and use a fork to poke through the bean crust, allowing juice to flow out on top to increase the crust.
  11. Once baked, let rest for 15 minutes and serve as a one-dish meal in large, shallow bowls.  This dish freezes well.

#33 Ozee Adventure

Ozee Adventure

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

Arroz con pollo ripped from Australian Good Taste magazine - May 2005 (Australian measure)

2 tsp olive oil
1 brown onion, halved, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
6 (about 600g) chicken thigh fillets, halved crossways
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground sweet paprika
1/2 tsp saffron threads
150g (3/4 cup) long-grain white rice
1 x 400g can diced Italian Roma tomatoes
250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
1 tbs tomato paste
200g fire-roasted peeled whole peppers (Always Fresh brand), coarsely chopped
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until onion softens. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until brown all over. Add the cumin, paprika and saffron and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the rice, tomatoes and chicken stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until chicken and rice are tender. Add the tomato paste, peppers and parsley, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Divide the arroz con pollo among serving bowls and serve immediately.

I'm looking for a cake & frosting recipe that I can chuck into the mixer (simple 1 bowl thing) pour into a foil roasting dish & take to work to feed quite a few! I have US measures @ home.

#34 Happy

Happy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

Time for a cocktail recipe. This one's for when it's blowing 35+knots, gusting up to 50, with horizontal sheets of rain, and you're ashore in your kitchen.

TROPICAL LOW

(In a jug, half-filled with ice)

roughly 3-5 fingers of cooking brandy

a cup or two of any fruit juice you happen to have in the fridge.

dash of bitters (god knows how long that's been in the back of the cupboard.)

That bottle of $6.00 "champagne" that's been lurking in the drinks fridge since last year's party when somebody brought it along and drank your beer all night instead.

Stir while swearing, sit back and wait for the storm.

#35 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

So? Whatcha got?

This is a fast recipe, once you put the water on the stove to boil if you start everything else it comes out at pretty much the same time. The only change I have made, and its not in the recipe. I add 8 oz of sweet peas to the recipe. I heat up frozen peas and toss them in just before the eggs. It brightens it up a little plus adds some color. be careful with the eggs, if you cook them too long or if the pan is too hot you will have scrambled eggs and its not nearly as good.

Spaghetti Carbonara

Ingredients

1 pound  spaghetti

2 table spoons olive oil

6 slices bacon diced

1 onion chopped

1 clove garlic minced

1/4 cup dry white wine (optional) or substitute with chicken broth (also optional)

4 eggs

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

salt and pepper to taste

2 table spoons fresh parsley

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti until al dente, drain well toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and set aside

Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook the bacon until slightly crisp, remove and drain onto paper towels

reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in pan, add remaining 1 table spoon of olive oil and heat in reused large skillet. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent, add minced garlic and cook 1 minute more, add wine if desired and cook one more minute

Return cooked bacon to pan, add cooked and drained spaghetti, toss to coat and heat through, adding more olive oil if it seems dry or is sticking together. Add beaten eggs and cook tossing constantly with tongs or a larger fork until eggs are barely set. Quickly add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and todd again. Salt and pepper to taste (remember bacon and Parmesan are both salty)

Serve immediately with chopped parsley sprinkled on top

Serve with extra Parmesan at table.

#36 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

candied bacon and bourbon ice cream:

candy 1/2 lb. of thick cut maple smoked bacon (cover in brown sugar and cook at 300 degrees till crispy and sugar has glazed bacon)

make vanilla ice cream (gotta to have an ice cream maker)  with vanilla bean, 1/2 cup makers mark.  mix in crumbled candied bacon bits...freeze,

dribble maple syrup over, eat

sweet, salty, bacony, bourbony goodness

#37 LenP

LenP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • Interests:sailing, kayaking, fishing, hunting, hiking, and various other outdoor activities.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

I have not had any luck searching for a good arroz con pollo recipe. Anyone??? I can trade you my famous meatball recipe if you want!

Peruvian Arroz Con Pollo:

Ingredients :

6 pieces of chicken (preferably bone in)
½ cup of oil
1 medium onion finely minced
1 tbsp minced garlic
½ cup of Peruvian hot yellow pepper paste
1 bush of fresh cilantro washed and blended with very little water
2 sweet peppers (red, yellow or orange) half minced, half for decoration
3 cups of rice
1 cup peas
½ cup corn
2 ½ cups of water
½ cup of beer
Salt
Pepper

Preparation:

Heat oil in a big pot, sautee garlic, add chicken, salt, pepper and cook until chicken turns a golden color. In the same pot with the chicken add onions, yellow hot pepper, the cilantro and the beer, stir and cook until the chicken is done and tender.

Once the chicken is done take it out and sit it on the side. Add into the pot rice, peas, corn and sweet pepper. Add the water, check and correct seasoning, stir and let the rice cook @ medium heat for approximately 20 minutes

Serve rice and chicken decorating it with with sweet peppers. Top it with creole sauce.

#38 LenP

LenP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • Interests:sailing, kayaking, fishing, hunting, hiking, and various other outdoor activities.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

My suggestion for superbowl snacks

Ingredients :
Marinade:
2 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ cup ají panca paste / sundried red panca chili paste
Salt
Pepper
Cumin
¾ cup vinegar
½ teaspoon salt

Anticuchos:
1 beef heart, cleaned
Oil
Ají amarillo paste / hot yellow chili pepper paste
Bamboo skewers

Preparation:

Marinade:
Combine all ingredients to prepare marinade. Set aside.

Anticuchos:

Remove fat and wash beef heart. Change water several times until water stays as clear as possible. Allow heart to soak in salty water for about one hour. Wash one lasttime and pat dry. Cut beef heart into 1-inch pieces. Place them in a medium size bowl and pour marinade over beef heart pieces. Leave marinating at least 2 hours.

Thread 3 pieces onto bamboo skewers.

Heat barbecue grill and place anticuchos, brushing them with a mixture of blended fresh yellow ají and oil. Cook on one side, turn and repeat procedure. Serve hot.

Served anticuchos together with boiled potato, corn on the cob and hot yellow chili pepper paste, for a spicier flavor.

The recipe calls for beef, but if you have access to deer heart instead, that is tastier still. Although, bambi hearts are small, so not great for a party.

#39 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,923 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

Fucking Awesome Granola

In your largest stainless steel mixing bowl (mine is about 32 cups), blend any combination of nuts, seeds, or whole rolled grains, such as old-fashioned oatmeal.  My current favorite mix is walnut pieces, pecan pieces, whole almonds, slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.

In a small saucepan, blend 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, 1/3 cup canola oil, and 2 T water.  Bring to a boil.

Pour the boiled syrup over the nut mixture, aiming for the brown sugar so it melts quickly.  Stir the mixture to coat everything with yummy goodness.

Cool completely before storage.  I leave it on the kitchen counter in the bowl overnight, covered with a clean towel.  Store in airtight container.

I'm still waiting for a Stump Water recipe...

#40 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

That's just plain unfair.  I need to move.

I'll have a cookoff vs. Booth.

#41 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,394 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Fucking Awesome Granola

I'm still waiting for a Stump Water recipe...

'Sis I'm going to make bold with your recipe and turn it into something like Fruit cake, only yummy.

#42 Charlotte Foxtrot

Charlotte Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Camping, cycling, SASS, my pets

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hello Dears, Charlotte Here,

This is the serioussly easiest dip recipe to make.  It's really tasty too.

1 brick of Cream Cheese  (You can use whpped in the bowl if you like but use full fat, not low fat.)

1 Bottle Heinz Chili Sauce.

Dump the un-wrapped cream cheese into a shallow serving bowl.  Open the bottle of chili sauce and pour on top, until it forms a small pool around the cream cheese.  Serve with crackers and enjoy.

#43 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

muscles marinara is nice (esp.  as a Fra diavolo) nice and spicy...but I had a great mussel recipe...steamed mussels with curry, Riesling and crème fraiche broth with grilled baguette

tbs. olive oil,

1 diced shallot....

1 cup German Riesling

1-2 lbs. mussels

1 tbs. yellow curry

chopped parsley

1/2 cup creme fraiche to finish it off

sautee shallot in oil, add mussels and wine

cook till open

remove mussels

add tbs. yellow curry, parsely and creme fraiche to the broth

pour over mussels.  sop up juice with bread

french baguette grilled and toasted, rub garlic clove on bread

cook 

#44 sailm8

sailm8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Chateau Blanc (White Castle) Pate

Take 10 White Castle burgers and throw them in a blender/processor.   Every thing but the box goes in.  Add a dash or 2 of white wine until forms a moist ball.  Spray a Jello mold with Pam and stuff the mixture into the mold.  Chill until it hardens.  Remove from the mold and ice with spreadable cream cheese and garnish with sliced black olives.  Serve with crackers.

#45 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Take 10 White Castle burgers and throw them in a blender/processor.   Every thing but the box goes in.  Add a dash or 2 of white wine until forms a moist ball.  Spray a Jello mold with Pam and stuff the mixture into the mold.  Chill until it hardens.  Remove from the mold and ice with spreadable cream cheese and garnish with sliced black olives.  Serve with crackers.

That's the most disgusting concoction since haggis.

Blech....

#46 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,394 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

'Possum on a stick?

#47 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

Marinated tri-tip on the grill

The marinade was born from my college roommates and I rifling through the cupboards and fridge to see what we had available.  With the exception of the cilantro, it hasn't changed in 20 years.

Soy sauce - 1 cup

Worchestershire sauce - 6-7 good shakes

chopped garlic - 3 cloves

minced onion - 1/4 of a large white onion

chopped jalapenos and teaspoon of juice

tsp of sesame oil

tbsp horseradish

tbsp good brown mustard

juice from 1 large lime

rough chop 1/2 cup of cilantro

I'll whisk up all the ingredients and then pour it over the meat in a large tupperware container and let it sit for at least 24 hrs.  I'll flip it once and shake up the container.  The key is before it goes on the grill is to pull it from the fridge and let it sit at room temp for 2-3 hrs.

Grill on high fat-side down first and let it flame up.  I usually get a 3 lb piece and will grill it for 15 min per side.  Pull it off and cover with foil and let it sit for another 15 min before cutting it up.

#48 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

muscles marinara is nice (esp.  as a Fra diavolo) nice and spicy...but I had a great mussel recipe...steamed mussels with curry, Riesling and crème fraiche broth with grilled baguette

tbs. olive oil,

1 diced shallot....

1 cup German Riesling

1-2 lbs. mussels

1 tbs. yellow curry

chopped parsley

1/2 cup creme fraiche to finish it off

sautee shallot in oil, add mussels and wine

cook till open

remove mussels

add tbs. yellow curry, parsely and creme fraiche to the broth

pour over mussels.  sop up juice with bread

french baguette grilled and toasted, rub garlic clove on bread

cook 

Looks great.

#49 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

We are gonna have to have an iron chef cookoff...... If there is to be a throwdown, count me in.......

#50 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

We are gonna have to have an iron chef cookoff...... If there is to be a throwdown, count me in.......

This could be interesting, what could go wrong?

I'll need to get Bob Perry going on his pulling boat design, harvesting would be much more fun.

#51 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

So? Whatcha got?

This is a fast recipe, once you put the water on the stove to boil if you start everything else it comes out at pretty much the same time. The only change I have made, and its not in the recipe. I add 8 oz of sweet peas to the recipe. I heat up frozen peas and toss them in just before the eggs. It brightens it up a little plus adds some color. be careful with the eggs, if you cook them too long or if the pan is too hot you will have scrambled eggs and its not nearly as good.

Spaghetti Carbonara

Ingredients

1 pound  spaghetti

2 table spoons olive oil

6 slices bacon diced

1 onion chopped

1 clove garlic minced

1/4 cup dry white wine (optional) or substitute with chicken broth (also optional)

4 eggs

salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti until al dente, drain well toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and set aside

Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook the bacon until slightly crisp, remove and drain onto paper towels

reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in pan, add remaining 1 table spoon of olive oil and heat in reused large skillet. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent, add minced garlic and cook 1 minute more, add wine if desired and cook one more minute

Return cooked bacon to pan, add cooked and drained spaghetti, toss to coat and heat through, adding more olive oil if it seems dry or is sticking together. Add beaten eggs and cook tossing constantly with tongs or a larger fork until eggs are barely set. Quickly add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and todd again. Salt and pepper to taste (remember bacon and Parmesan are both salty)

That sounds very tasty - have ya ever tried it using pancetta instead of bacon? 

#52 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Sounds like there's a bunch of creative culinary ideas - this thread oughta get pinned, and referenced regularly. I just printed it out. 

#53 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

We get so much Dungeness crab in the spring/summer we are sick of it come the end of October. However I found this recipe from the Brigantine in San Diego that it's outstanding:

Brigantine Crab Cakes

Sauce

¾ cup mayonnaise

1 ½ tsp chili powder

1 ½ tsp lemon juice

Few dashes Tabasco sauce

Cakes

1lb fresh crab meat

1/3 cup red onion chopped fine

2 fresh jalapeno peppers chopped fine (optional)

1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped

2 eggs slightly beaten

1 ½ cups fresh bread crumbs

(less if using dried bread crumbs)

Cooking oil

Mix all sauce ingredients together.  If possible make sauce at least 1 or 2 hours in advance to allow ingredients to blend together.  Mix crab with onion, jalapeno, parsley, egg, approx 1/3 of the bread crumbs.  Add about 1/3 of the sauce to the crab mixture and mix together.  Form into patties, coating each crab cake lightly with bread crumbs.  This helps hold them together when cooking.  Panfry in oil about 5 min or until golden brown.  Serve with remaining sauce as a dip.

Note:

For the sauce I think is better with more than a "few" drops of Tabasco but that's me. Also, better to make the sauce 24 hours until it melds properly. Okay when it's fresh but?

Good cold as an appy too. The sauce is a great with other appies like carrot and celery sticks. Run out of those veggies? It will be hard to keep it away from your fingers!

#54 sailm8

sailm8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

That's the most disgusting concoction since haggis.

Blech....

Served this to the blue blazer crowds at a yacht club event and they ate it like ducks on a bug.  It was worth it to see the look on their faces when I told them what it was.

#55 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer.
    Mowing.
    Drinking beer while mowing.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

Fox squirrel liver and crabmeat omelet for brunch last Sunday up at the camp in Mississippi...washed down with a bloody and a couple breakfast beers...livin' the dream!!

#56 gina

gina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:34 AM

Lots of good ideas here!

Thank you both for these! I lost the recipe which I had gotten ages ago from a Cuban friend, and googling just finds lots of 'Murican versions. I will try a hybrid of these two and will add green olives which I do remember were in that lost recipe.  :)

Arroz con pollo ripped from Australian Good Taste magazine - May 2005 (Australian measure)

2 tsp olive oil
1 brown onion, halved, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
6 (about 600g) chicken thigh fillets, halved crossways
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground sweet paprika
1/2 tsp saffron threads
150g (3/4 cup) long-grain white rice
1 x 400g can diced Italian Roma tomatoes
250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
1 tbs tomato paste
200g fire-roasted peeled whole peppers (Always Fresh brand), coarsely chopped
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until onion softens. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until brown all over. Add the cumin, paprika and saffron and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the rice, tomatoes and chicken stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until chicken and rice are tender. Add the tomato paste, peppers and parsley, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Divide the arroz con pollo among serving bowls and serve immediately.

I'm looking for a cake & frosting recipe that I can chuck into the mixer (simple 1 bowl thing) pour into a foil roasting dish & take to work to feed quite a few! I have US measures @ home.

Peruvian Arroz Con Pollo:

Ingredients :

6 pieces of chicken (preferably bone in)
½ cup of oil
1 medium onion finely minced
1 tbsp minced garlic
½ cup of Peruvian hot yellow pepper paste
1 bush of fresh cilantro washed and blended with very little water
2 sweet peppers (red, yellow or orange) half minced, half for decoration
3 cups of rice
1 cup peas
½ cup corn
2 ½ cups of water
½ cup of beer
Salt
Pepper

Preparation:

Heat oil in a big pot, sautee garlic, add chicken, salt, pepper and cook until chicken turns a golden color. In the same pot with the chicken add onions, yellow hot pepper, the cilantro and the beer, stir and cook until the chicken is done and tender.

Once the chicken is done take it out and sit it on the side. Add into the pot rice, peas, corn and sweet pepper. Add the water, check and correct seasoning, stir and let the rice cook @ medium heat for approximately 20 minutes

Serve rice and chicken decorating it with with sweet peppers. Top it with creole sauce.

#57 gina

gina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

Nice dream... except for that fox squirrel liver part of course  :P

Fox squirrel liver and crabmeat omelet for brunch last Sunday up at the camp in Mississippi...washed down with a bloody and a couple breakfast beers...livin' the dream!!

#58 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:39 AM

Nice dream... except for that fox squirrel liver part of course  :P

You really need to try Pate du Rocky once before ya knock it.....

#59 gina

gina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

Ain't never seen any here in Joisey, but if I ever get to Mississippi I'll be sure to ask around since I enjoy pate, just not sure about the flying squirrel type. Maybe with a nice chianti  :lol:

#60 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:55 AM

So my wife and I are having dinner tonight, and I say that I was more than lurking on SA today, and there might me something brewing, and she says "That might be fun?"

#61 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:23 AM

Please, please tell us she wants to model some sushi for us?....

#62 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

I think that you might be off the list, unless the mussels marinara are magnificent.

#63 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:43 AM

Great, I've akready been plucked, chucked and fucked-- and she's never even met me yet....--

#64 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

So? Whatcha got?

Spaghetti Carbonara

Ingredients
1 pound  spaghetti
2 table spoons olive oil
6 slices bacon diced
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
4 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

That sounds very tasty - have ya ever tried it using pancetta instead of bacon? 
I've considered it. But have yet to try it

#65 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

Braciola :

rump roast (or any other inexpensive part of the cow)

slice thin (meat cutter works the best) but if you can use a sharp ass knife, get the pieces 1/8 thinck. ( using a med sized roast I get approx.  5in. x 5in. pieces)

between 2 pieces of parchment paper, use a hammer and pound to make thinner....nice and even (should pound out to be about 6 in. x 6 in.)

for filling :   1 cup bread crumbs, 1/4 cup romano cheese, salt pepper, 6 finely chopped garlic cloves, enough olive oil to moisten bread crumbs.

for each piece of beef, add 1 tsp. of filling to the meat and roll up ...tie w/ cooking string.

brown in olive oil in skillet .

remove braciola and set aside.   

deglaze skillet w/red wine (get the good tasty parts off the bottom of the pan)

1/2 onion chopped into pan. 1 green bell pepper diced  in as well

1 can crushed tomatoes, 1 bay leaf, salt pepper

cook 4-5 min.

add the  individual braciola to the sauce and cover.

cook on low heat for 1.5 hrs. stirring occasionally and not burning the sauce.

#66 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

poach ground veal in cream to cover with fresh thyme, bay leaf, oregano onion celery garlic.  When cooked through add a can of crushed san marzano tomatoes and olive oil.  combine sauce andd brown rice pad thai noodles in a pan to finish and garnish with thai basil and romono and truffle oil.  

#67 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Real good/easy slow roasted pulled pork.

1 2-4 lb pork roast

1 can fire roasted chopped tomatoes(del monte)

1 crock pot

put roast in

put can o tomatoes on top

salt/pepper to taste

cover

roast on low 4 hrs

Done.

Serve with tortillas sour cream and other mex condiments.

Seriously,  I have served this to mex friends and at parties.  They all think I worked hrs to get it right........  I am a decent cook and am kind of embarrassed that it is this easy.  

#68 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

I just cracked open a can of Herdez whole chipotles last week and the flavor of them blue me away. I think they'd be.an xlnt addition to your recipe....

#69 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

Braciola :

slice thin (meat cutter works the best) but if you can use a sharp ass knife, get the pieces 1/8 thinck. ( using a med sized roast I get approx.  5in. x 5in. pieces)
between 2 pieces of parchment paper, use a hammer and pound to make thinner....nice and even (should pound out to be about 6 in. x 6 in.)

for filling :   1 cup bread crumbs, 1/4 cup romano cheese, salt pepper, 6 finely chopped garlic cloves, enough olive oil to moisten bread crumbs.

for each piece of beef, add 1 tsp. of filling to the meat and roll up ...tie w/ cooking string.

cook 4-5 min.

thats sounds really tasty. Do you serve with pasta or with rice?

#70 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Braciola :

cook 4-5 min.

guinneas don;t eat rice  ;-)

you can have it w/ pasta 

I usually make it a meal itself and sautee some broccoli  rabe in olive oil and garlic as a side

#71 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Braciola :

cook 4-5 min.

Had the braciola at a restaurant on Arthur Ave. in the Bronx last month.  Their stuffing also had raisins and pignoli. 

#72 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Paella or Polenta?

#73 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

This is good. I had it in Dubrovnik Croatia a couple years back that was outta site.

#74 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

I just cracked open a can of Herdez whole chipotles last week and the flavor of them blue me away. I think they'd be.an xlnt addition to your recipe....

I have tried it with everything from fresh fire roasted hatch green chilies to the canned chipotles you mention boothy and the basics always come out ahead.  The cook in me says more steps, Browning, onions, chili powder, japs, etc etc etc will make it better.  Heck I even tried it with brisket onions and adobos last time....  the fam always likes the fricking 2 step basics.  Pork canned tomatoes and go...  Found that if they want more heat people will just throw salsa, japs etc on the taco.....  

Don't mess with the clasics i guess....  

#75 Merle Kilgore

Merle Kilgore

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:moonshine

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

This could be interesting, what could go wrong?

I'll need to get Bob Perry going on his pulling boat design, harvesting would be much more fun.

View,

That would be a great idea, give Bob a poke on that pulling boat in aluminum. One would look great on your tidefront ranch. O may come out to visit Bob this summer and would love to see your operation.

Merle

#76 grouchyIRL

grouchyIRL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

My mother's bolognase recepie (in metric, I'm sure you can convert) Think American's call it meat sauce. Looks like a lot of ingredients but it's actually very simple and is best made well in advance.

Ingredients (feeds 5):

500g minced beef

1 onion - finely diced

1 clove of garlic - finely diced

1 carrot - peeled and diced

Olive oil

Balsamic Vinegar

1 tin of tomatoes

250g (ish) of Passata

70g tomato puree (half a tube for anyone in the UK/IRL)

1tbsp dried oregano

1tbsp dried basil

1teaspoon sugar

Strong and hearty red wine

Salt

Pepper

Method:

1. Heat olive oil in a saucepan (pot) and gently sweat the onion, garlic and carrot until the onion has gone translucent.

2. Increase the heat, add in the minced meat and brown. Make sure to move it constantly to avoid clumping and burning.

3. Once the meat is sealed, season with a good pinch of salt and pepper

4. Add the dried basil and oregano

5. Add in the tinned tomatoes, passata and tomato puree. Give it a good stir to mix the liquid around.

6. Add a teaspoon of sugar (there's so much tomato that it becomes a bit sour without it, but it only needs the tsp to take the edge off)

7. Add in a few dashes of balsamic vinegar and half a glass of good strong red wine.

8. Stir well, allow it to come to the boil and then reduce the heat.

9. Allow to simmer and reduce (stirring occassionally) at least until the alcohol has cooked off (you can smell this - the sharpness in the scent of the wine will be gone)

10. Leave to mature in a fridge overnight (best but not essential, but even a few hours to sit before reheating and serving benefits it)

Variation:

-If you like a bit of a spicy kick to it, a few drops of tobasco sauce and a splash of worchester sauce is nice in it

I've yet to taste a better bolognase, even if I do say so myself.

#77 jaybird1111

jaybird1111

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hey Charlotte,

do that cream cheese recipe Southern US style: replace the chili sauce with either Pickapeppa or a hot-pepper jelly

#78 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Paella, which means "for her" is a dish from Valencia that traditionally is made with Chicken, rabbit and duck.   In the US and tourist areas of Spain Paella de Mariscos(Seafood Paella) is commonly prepared and so is considered real paella by the uninitiated like you.

Anyway

I love home made gnocchi but don't prepare it that often because while easy to make it's preparation makes a hell of a sticky mess.

The other night in the Dominican Republic I had some of the best Morcilla stuffed with rice I ever had.

#79 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

Braciola :

cook 4-5 min.

you can have it w/ pasta 
I usually make it a meal itself and sautee some broccoli  rabe in olive oil and garlic as a side
you never heard of Sicilian rice balls?

#80 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:06 AM

Braciola :

cook 4-5 min.

you can have it w/ pasta 
you never heard of Sicilian rice balls?

yess....but in general... :blink:

risotto is one of my favorite dishes in the world  

now...if I were to do a braciola with a bbq style sauce with some tang,then I'd prolly use rice... dirty rice might work well too

#81 gina

gina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

Want some really good winter comfort food? Make these potato pancakes:

Grate 2 large idaho potatoes over a bowl covered with a cloth napkin.

Squeeze out liquid.

Mix potatoes with 1 egg, a little flour, a dash of milk, and a tsp salt.

Melt 1 Tbsp butter with enough olive oil to cover bottom of heavy skillet and fry pancake size over medium heat until GBandD.

Serve with applesauce and sour cream. And sriracha, of course.

#82 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,841 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:18 AM

1391143529.jpgWe have a little Mom & Pop place in Manhattan that's been there since the early 60's. Its called Uncle Bill's Pancake House and its on one of our walk streets, just up from the beach. The 'bbuilding' is actually one of the first houses built there, back in 1908. It's really about as close to being a California historical site as it could be.....except nothing truly noteworthy has ever happened there----aside from serving overa million bitchenlicous breakfi for the past half century. I mean its all good, but my favorite there is something they call Potatoes Stroganoff. It doesn't look like much but it truly is nirvanic:

1391143529.jpg

Basically its a huge twice-baked potatoe, re-mixed with sauted hash browns, bacon, melted cheese & sour cream. Unfortunately they're charging $8.50 for these fukers now, but thank gawd when I was a little runaway unemployed surf punk in the early 70's, they were only a buck & a quarter. Or i would have died.........:lol:

#83 VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

1 brick of Cream Cheese  (You can use whpped in the bowl if you like but use full fat, not low fat.)

Dump the un-wrapped cream cheese into a shallow serving bowl.  Open the bottle of chili sauce and pour on top, until it forms a small pool around the cream cheese.  Serve with crackers and enjoy.

Bronco Bob's has several sauces you can pour on the cheese:

Raspberry Chipotle

Mango Chipotle

Apricot Chipotle

Bacon Chipotle

All are terrific

#84 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I think I've posted my jerky recipe here before but I'll repost when I get a sec.  Easy recipe, can be done with a food dehydrator so long as you use smoked salt.

I'll put up my rib dry rub while I'm at it.

#85 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

On tonight's menu:

Two bulbs fennel, sliced thin and sliced garlic.  Sweat until soft.  Add white wine and orange juice.  Top with peeled and sliced blood oranges, some of the orange peel, olives, bay leaf and a nice striped bass fillet.  Salt and Pepper, then EVOO.  Roast until fish is perfectly done.

#86 #13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

On tonight's menu:

Two bulbs fennel, sliced thin and sliced garlic.  Sweat until soft.  Add white wine and orange juice.  Top with peeled and sliced blood oranges, some of the orange peel, olives, bay leaf and a nice striped bass fillet.  Salt and Pepper, then EVOO.  Roast until fish is perfectly done.

Applause!  Nicely done, yet remaining understated, a critical thing to do when cooking, as too many ingredients will destroy the star of the dish.

#87 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

Anything with garlic and good olive oil is going to be tasty.

#88 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

Bronco Bob's has several sauces you can pour on the cheese:

Raspberry Chipotle
Mango Chipotle
Apricot Chipotle
Bacon Chipotle

All are terrific
we use a homemade pepper jelly over cream cheese

#89 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

We steam a handful of shrimp, shell them, cut them up, and mix them in with the cocktail sauce and cream cheese mix. I have seen others just buy a can of little shrimps added to the mix.

MS

#90 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer.
    Mowing.
    Drinking beer while mowing.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

I think I've posted my jerky recipe here before but I'll repost when I get a sec.  Easy recipe, can be done with a food dehydrator so long as you use smoked salt.

Waiting with venison at hand...

#91 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,163 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

1013306_230735840443541_1557153541_n.jpg

#92 mainsheetsister

mainsheetsister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
    and
    the sky

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

What the hell?  You from Florida or something?

#93 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,163 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

What the hell?  You from Florida or something?

That has way too much culture for Florida.  

#94 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:26 AM

Anything with garlic and good olive oil is going to be tasty.

it was.

#95 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

Waiting with venison at hand...

OK, here we go!

Heat the following ingredients in a saucepan for 5 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved.

10 oz. - Worcestershire Sauce

10 oz - Soy Sauce

3/4 cup - Fresh Lemon Juice

2 1/2 cups - Water

1 cup - Brown Sugar

10 oz - Teriyaki Marinade

1 tsp - Smoked Salt (like Old Hickory)

1 tsp. - Lemon Pepper

4 Tbs - Crushed Red Pepper

Let it cool while slicing your meat.

Remove ALL fat.  Slice very lean beef (like shoulder roast) or venison thinly, no more than 1/2" thick; I like thinner. I use a meat slicer. A good trick is to thaw the meat, then throw it back into the freezer until it starts to firm back up. Makes the slicing easier.

Add meat to marinade and throw in the fridge for 24 hours.

Place meat on racks in a dehydrator and set to 135.

After it turns into jerky, ziplock bag it and throw back into the fridge for 24 hours so it can finish/even out.

It'll stay good for 2 weeks in the fridge.

I think my rib rub recipe is at the cottage, so here's a chili recipe that I love.

6 ounces regular breakfast sausage

2 tsp oil

3 lbs. tri-tip, cut into small pieces

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth

1/4 tsp oregano

3 tsp cumin

2 cloves Gilroy garlic

2 Tbs Gerbhardt chili powder

1 Tbs hot chile powder

1 Tbs mild chile powder

5 Tbs red chile powder

1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

1 10 oz can Ro*Tel diced tomates and green chilies

3 dried California chile peppers, boiled and pureed

1 dried New Mexico chile pepper, boiled and pureed

5 dried Cascabel chile peppers, boiled and pureed

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1 can 14.5 oz chicken broth

1 tsp Tabasco sauce

1 tsp brown sugar

Juice of 1 lime

Salt to taste (blech)

Brown the sausage, dry and set aside.  Heat oil in a pot and brown the beef.  Add the sausage, onion and beef broth and boil for 15 minutes.

Add oregano and 1/2 the cumin. Reduce to simmer and add the garlic.

Combine chile powders and add 1/2 to the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the tomato sauce, Ro*Tel and chile puree from the dried peppers. Stir it up and start using the chicken broth to adjust until you get the consistency you're looking for.

Cook for 1 hour, stirring often.

Add the rest of the chile powder mix and cumin.  Simmer for 25 more minutes on low heat.

Bring back to a light boil and add Tabasco, cayenne, brown sugar lime juice and salt (ick, please don't do the salt; add more lime instead).

Stir it up!  Yum.

#96 Nicolations

Nicolations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Reading history, riding my bike, hiking, coffee.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

Simplest dessert that looks like you made an effort.

1 large can of pumpkin pie filling
(Sweet potato is better if you can find pie filling)
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick of butter

Preheat oven to 350°
Grease 9" square pan, put in pie filling evenly.
Put DRY cake mix on top
Melt butter. Drizzle on top of cake mix.
Bake until top begins to brown.

Enjoy

A lady made this as part of a meal when we had our first daughter. Good memory. (And I can make it!)

#97 VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

My Dad loved college football and his favorite day of the year was New Year's Day.  In those days, the Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Rose Bowl were broadcast one after the other and Dad didn't miss any of them.  Mom made this for my Father every New Year's Day.  Now it's a Super Bowl thing.

Peanut Butter Balls

1 cup Karo syrup

1 cup sugar

1 cup peanut butter

6 cups Special K cereal

Melt the sugar and peanut butter into the karo syrup.  Fold into the cereal.  Butter your hands and form the mixture into balls.  Let them cool on a cookie sheet.

I don't actually make balls any more.  I Butter a large baking dish and spread the mixture into the dish.  Let it cool and cut it into bars.

#98 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Yes please. Just happened to buy duck confit and saucisson yesterday.

#99 Happy

Happy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

For those mornings when you want something more than just B&E:

(Per serving)

3-5 big prawns, depending on size

2 rashers good bacon

2 eggs

thinly sliced shallots (green onions) and red chilli

oyster sauce

Cook bacon till crispy, remove

Cook prawns in same fat, remove

Fry eggs Asian-style, in about 2-3" of hot oil. The idea is to have the yolks slightly runny and the edges turning crispy. High heat, short fry. Watch out, it will splatter and spit a bit.

Plate the prawns, cover with bacon, eggs on top, sprinkle shallots and chilli over, dress with oyster sauce.

Some sliced avocado and a Bloody Mary on the side.

#100 gina

gina

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:55 AM

For those mornings when you want something more than just B&E:

(Per serving)

3-5 big prawns, depending on size

2 rashers good bacon

2 eggs

thinly sliced shallots (green onions) and red chilli

oyster sauce

Cook bacon till crispy, remove

Cook prawns in same fat, remove

Fry eggs Asian-style, in about 2-3" of hot oil. The idea is to have the yolks slightly runny and the edges turning crispy. High heat, short fry. Watch out, it will splatter and spit a bit.

Plate the prawns, cover with bacon, eggs on top, sprinkle shallots and chilli over, dress with oyster sauce.

Some sliced avocado and a Bloody Mary on the side.

Good Lawd but that sounds awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users