203 replies to this topic

#201 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

That one is right up my alley. Do you use frozen banana leaves?

#202 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

That one is right up my alley. Do you use frozen banana leaves?

You absolutely can, but we have a local Mexican market and I get them there. They might be frozen first, but they're not when they're on the shelf.

#203 Son of a Sailor

Son of a Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Cochinita Pibil tonight! Also homemade citrus pickled red onions and habanero salsa. Pull the pork apart when done. Spoon into tortilla (corn or flour is fine). Add guacamole, sour cream, the red onions and the habanero salsa. A pretty good starter recipe is at the link. Over the years I've modified and substituted a lot of my own. Sometimes I do the seasoned pork in individual banana leaf "tortillas" wrapped up and cooked similarly. Makes the presentation for guests a little fancier. Otherwise I just do the whole shoulder after marinating and pull the pork off the bone right out of the tray when its its done. Another variation is grill it indirect all day instead of slow cooker or oven. My habanero salsa is quite different. In addition to the chilies and garlic, I add chopped tomatoes, red onion, and corn. I pull all the seeds and ribs out of the peppers and discard them after roasting and before blending. You get all of the sweet flavor of the chili without much heat at all.

http://www.rickbayle...ew?recipeID=169

I did it in the slow cooker today...............salsa and red onions are in the jars.

image_zpseb8f5371.jpg

image_zps30e17983.jpg

I love cochanita de pibil but have only had it in restaurants. I am going to give this a try in the very near future!

#204 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Made it again last night. Used a little less cinnamon than the recipe called for this time. Liked it a bit better. We're just gonna have to keep making it till we get it right!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users