#1 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

We've got skipper Charlie Enright and Mark Towill getting on the line with me at about 3 PM today.  Got questions for them?  Wanna know who is on the team?  What's the under 30 deal?  Me too.  

I'd love to get a few more questions coming from you guys, and you never fail us.  Post them here.

Attached Files

#2 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

As far as I can tell, their results haven't been so hot over the past few years.  What are they going to do differently with this race in terms of preparation, crew selection, tactics, etc?

#3 maninsanfran

maninsanfran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

How will you cope with great early publicity from Sailing Anarchy, and then being done in the ass by them when they need to stir up some headlines?

#4 B.Wilkinson

B.Wilkinson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Have you already picked a crew/if you haven't how are you going to?

AND

Where do I sign up?? :P  :D

#5 Swimsailor

Swimsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

I loved Morning Light and watch it often.  Even though SA conitnues to berrate the movie I thought it was an incredible show.  How much of your success and this awesome VOR opportunity do you attribute to the movie?

In your sponsor search, how did you find the Turks?

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

keep 'em coming!

#7 J/120

J/120

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

How big of a shore team do you think you will have?
Since the boats are one design, are the race organizers traveling with their own spare bits and shore team?

#8 Allez Cat 2

Allez Cat 2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

I just started sailing a Volvo 60, what a different world, 85 foot mast, water ballast, etc,etc.    What are you doing now to make your learning curve as short as possible??      And don't tell me your're sailing a sled.......apples to apples......... I bet you have something up your sleeves and GFLuck!   I'm stoked to have you there!!  

#9 Bermygreen

Bermygreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Our boat will shortly be racing in the Newport to Bermuda Race, which we have done may times in the past.  Our skipper, in an attempt to shed the amount of weight we carry with us, in addition to trying to avoid sausages rolling around the cabin through the Gulf Stream, has come up with the suggestion of taking tinned food.  We would then be able to reduce the amount of water we carry because that water would already be in the tins.  Make sense?  No, not to the rest of the crew either.  Nor do we have a water maker. 

We have a small, top loading refrigerator (not working), and a stove of death (bucket on gimbles with gas flame under a pot).

So, the question is, what would your approach be as to how we approach the food v water argument for a crew of 7/8 on a 3-4 day race?

#10 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

How many VOR vets are going to be with you guys?  Congrats on the door opening.

#11 Go Tone, Go

Go Tone, Go

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Where will you be taking delivery of the boat and where will you have a home base prior to heading over to Europe for the start?

Who else has been named to the team? Sailors, shore and management?

Did getting married recently make you want to sail around the world with a bunch of dudes for 8months? (Joking...)

#12 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

I'd like to know how the Turkey boat and American crew dynamic will work.  Is the focus on the boat sponsor/Turkey, or can the crew embrace being a bunch of young Yanks racing around the world?

After rooting for the so called Oracle Team USA during AC34 I am hoping to embrace a team of American's in my 2nd favorite sailing event, the VOR.

Good like guys.  I already have my 6 year old getting ready to cheer on the "Turkey and Cheese" team around the world!  Its to bad you guys won't be stopping over in Baltimore.  Then again I have kin in Newport.  Maybe we'll drop by with a sack of Turkey and Cheese sanwiches from Subway.  ;)

WetHog  :ph34r:

#13 HI808

HI808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:All things boats. Power too - RIBs especially.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

You had a one gal in the crew for Morning Light and others that were alternates.  Any thoughts or plans for having gals in this VOR onboard crew?

#14 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Disregard my above questions to ask them.  I just read this article http://www.sailingsc...cean-race-team/ and got the following quote from it:

“The plan is that we’ll look at people in the States first but expand that to take in young sailors from around the world too, including Turkey and Italy,” said Mark.

So it won't be All-American after all.  Oh well.

WetHog  :ph34r:

#15 HI808

HI808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:All things boats. Power too - RIBs especially.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Also, Is there rock star pay involved?  Can you comment on what your budget is to attract crew that expect to be paid?

#16 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Do you see this being more of a "stepping stones" program to bring talented under 30s into the volvo world or a way for people who have VOR experience to be a part of an only under-30 team? 

#17 Bad Andy

Bad Andy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:SAILING

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

+1

Have you already picked a crew/if you haven't how are you going to?

AND

Where do I sign up?? :P  :D

#18 Super Delegate

Super Delegate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Custom Rigging Solutions

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Will Ken Read have any role in the team aside from moral support and advice?

How is Dr. Enright taking the news? Love that guy...

#19 valenciasailing

valenciasailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Also, Is there rock star pay involved?  Can you comment on what your budget is to attract crew that expect to be paid?

According to Turkish sources, Alvimedica will put 20 million euros for two campaigns

#20 J/120

J/120

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

Where and how is the interview being posted?

#21 Pitbull

Pitbull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:All things sailing:)

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

Maybe someone can explain what the "plan" really is...I mean..“The plan is that we’ll look at people in the States first but ex/pand that to take in young sailors from around the world too, including Turkey and Italy,” said Mark....is'nt this just a wee bit discriminatory?..while I don't have issue with nationality, silly me would think they would want the best no matter what their age, as long as they fit the team and are fit enough to do the VOR..........and BTW who is really calling the shots on this?

?

editapologies, I left our women.....or would the Turkish sponsor balk at that?

#22 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Where?  Not sure if you are kidding but this place called SA is a website.  How?  Probably like all the other interviews, either video of the Skype call or just audio.  I would bet video.

#23 J/120

J/120

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Where?  Not sure if you are kidding but this place called SA is a website.  How?  Probably like all the other interviews, either video of the Skype call or just audio.  I would bet video.

Wow, sorry. Didn't know if it was audio or video. In a thread or front page. Tonight or next week. Sorry your wife, or the way you are most likely ex wife, pissed in your whiskey tonight.

Dick.

#24 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Team NATO ?    ;)

#25 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

Take it easy there cowboy.  Just answering your two questions.  (You did not originally ask when, that one is the wildcard.)

Wow, sorry. Didn't know if it was audio or video. In a thread or front page. Tonight or next week. Sorry your wife, or the way you are most likely ex wife, pissed in your whiskey tonight.

Dick.

#26 J/120

J/120

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

Take it easy there cowboy.  Just answering your two questions.  (You did not originally ask when, that one is the wildcard.)

Dick.

Hi Cowboy,

Where did you answer my "two questions". All you did was state this was a website and have options of how the interview would be. Wow. Thanks.

#27 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

120, stuff it.

#28 J/120

J/120

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

120, stuff it.

You get an invite to the Volvo team from your stellar resume? Or is being a weekend warrior badass not enough?

120, stuff it.

You get an invite to the Volvo team from your stellar resume? Or is being a weekend warrior badass not enough?

#29 the loose cannon

the loose cannon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

In a race full one design boats, where do you see the biggest opportunity for competitive advantage.  Rock start navigator?  Sail / rig tune optimization?  Re-working the sail handling systems?  Where do you focus?

#30 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

120, stuff it.

120, stuff it.

No that it's rare here, but you're over reacting.

#31 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

120, stuff it.

>>>120, stuff it.

That seems perfectly irrelevant to the fact that you're making nasty allegations about the (off limits) home life of a good guy who never once impugned your honor.

#32 J/120

J/120

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:00 AM

120, stuff it.

>>120, stuff it.

That seems perfectly irrelevant to the fact that you're jumping ugly on a good guy who said nothing negative against you.

Stuff it. From an 'anonymous name'. Nothing negative....

Have fun with the stigma of under qualified loud mouthed asshole in a small world. And don't tell me about all the 'rides' you have. As a boat owner you would never come near my boat, one because I don't sail with self promoting dicks who actually aren't good, and two,anyone who needs to sing their praises and feel better about themselves on a website, clearly deserves to be treated as a professional and be paid.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll either learn to be really good, or make enough money to pay people to make you good. Otherwise, you're a loud mouth little prick who sails on someone else's dime but runs his mouth as if you earned the right to be an expert.

#33 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:22 AM

Ummmmmm.... I don't know what any of that has to do with the pretty nasty stuff you were saying about another mans wife and family but in any case I'm sorry you feel that way.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

#34 AvidSailor

AvidSailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, sailing dinghies, and naval architecture.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

What words of advice would the sailors like to give to younger sailors trying to get involved with large boat sailing and offshore racing?

#35 J/120

J/120

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

Ummmmmm.... I don't know what any of that has to do with the pretty nasty stuff you were saying about another mans wife and family but in any case I'm sorry you feel that way.

So you finally have nothing to say?

Anyway, sorry for the detour. I'm looking forward to rooting for a worthy team!

#36 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

You had a one gal in the crew for Morning Light and others that were alternates.  Any thoughts or plans for having gals in this VOR onboard crew?

The rules for this VOR mean that you cannot take 1 or 2 women. If you run a mixed team then you get an extra person allowance (9), but must have at least 4 women on board.

#37 J/120

J/120

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

And what was the 'pretty nasty stuff'? When someone decided to make a condescending response to my question, I asked if their wife or ex wife pissed in their whiskey? You should re read all your posts...

#38 The Goose

The Goose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

sooooo was there an interview or what?

#39 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

I'm sure we'll get it in a few years...

#40 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

Have fun with the stigma of under qualified loud mouthed asshole

Have fun with the stigma of owning a J120

#41 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

i know - what a dick i am that i didn't immediately edit, compress, and encode a 40 minute interview finished at 5 PM last night shortly before I left for my wife and I's anniversary date into something immediately available for people who do nothing but complain, and who get it all for free.  horrible!

#42 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

According to Turkish sources, Alvimedica will put 20 million euros for two campaigns

I had a similar number, and the boys flatly denied this and said the contract said nothing about that sum, and that it was a disservice to publish a false number like that.  They could be snowing me but they are pretty easy to read and I doubt it.

They asked me not to discuss numbers on camera, and our discussion off camera led me to believe it was a single race deal with an option for #2 that would be determined by the ROI as well as other non ROI actions (an offshore training school coming together in Turkey for instance), and that the boys are NOT particularly well-funded compared to SCA or ADOR for instance.  They are seeking secondary sponsors.  For instance, when I asked about shore crew, including physio, etc. they said the very well funded teams will probably have 6-7 people while they Alviedica likely have 3 or 4.  They will also sport both the Turkish and American flag on the back of the boat, which I like.  You'll have to watch for the rest, should be done in a couple of hours at the most.

#43 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

and newby J/120 idiot:  it will be posted here and on the front page, and on our Vimeo page and on Soundcloud and on SA Facebook and VOR Facebook and AAOT Facebook and ALvimedica and anywhere else I can get it.  in video split screen (low quality because their hotel connection was pretty shit), as well as a separate audio file for those who want to listen during commute or on a plane or whatever.  IT's about 45 minutes, and i have a bit more to pull out of it before coloring and rendering.  Video res really is shit though.  fucking hotels.  I guess the boys are still on freemium web speeds.

#44 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Attached File  mb000035-1.jpg   66.91K   15 downloadsAttached File  457270_1275519039929_full.jpg   106.1K   5 downloads

#45 J/120

J/120

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Idiot.... Great promotion. Thanks for answering the questions. Looking forward to it.

#46 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

J/120, hi. I'm going to pm you to call you an idiot. Find it in yourself to let this thread stay on topic. This thread actually had a point.

#47 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

i know - what a dick i am that i didn't immediately edit, compress, and encode a 40 minute interview finished at 5 PM last night shortly before I left for my wife and I's anniversary date into something immediately available for people who do nothing but complain, and who get it all for free.  horrible!

Dude happy anniversary!  I was just yanking your chain...

#48 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

Audio here now:

#49 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

Download the audio file here to take it with you.  And no worries TX - thanks for the thought!

https://soundcloud.c...dica-in-the-vor

#50 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:22 AM

Idiot.... Great promotion. Thanks for answering the questions. Looking forward to it.

If you wanna be treated like a little kid, click somewhere else.  This place is for sailors.

#51 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

If you wanna be treated like a little kid, click somewhere else.  This place is for sailors.

Attached Files

#52 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

Are you suggesting Clean is a thin skinned whining baby :)?

How dare you!

#53 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Are you suggesting Clean is a thin skinned whining baby :)?

How dare you!

......pics of 3 of the potential crew as they think of rounding th'horn'  ;)  :lol:  

.........there'll be some'crew-dynamics' to deal with on a boatload of 20somethings!

..................not t'mention some experience voids :mellow:

........................hopefully no nappy changes though!! :unsure:

.....edit...I guess the lads gained important lessons on crew harmony in the Morning Light  program though!(?)

#54 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

they also did the transatlantic race together on the Genuine Risk (90') I believe, and the core AAOT crew races on both monster offshore boats and inshore one-designs.  Charlie and Mark both won a M32 Worlds I believe.  Welch ran a MaxZ86. Jesse sails on Rambler 90', right?  I sailed the Lauderdale to Charleston with Branning as Navigator on the STP65 Moneypenny/Vanquish and he's obviously done a lot longer shit on much bigger boats.  All very qualified to throw a VOD65 around the track.  

Can they beat Ian and his boys, or Bouwe, or NIcho if Nicho comes back?  Sure they can.  I wouldn't bet even odds on it, but it's sure possible in a one-design boat.  It upsets me a bit that the in-port races are no longer part of the scoring though, and I think it hurts these boys some.

#55 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

....................... It upsets me a bit that the in-port races are no longer part of the scoring though, and I think it hurts these boys some.

...yeh,,that's a bit farked---who's going to bother taking the in-ports seriously!? :mellow:

#56 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Clean,

Can you dig up some more info on why the in-port has been eliminated from the overall.  

I guess it is called the volvo ocean race but having the in-port really made those points mean something which made the teams put their best foot forward.   Plus with the one design aspect now they would certainly be very close and exciting.  Now I can see boats maybe blowing the in-port race off if there are issues they are sorting and need some more time.

they also did the transatlantic race together on the Genuine Risk (90') I believe, and the core AAOT crew races on both monster offshore boats and inshore one-designs.  Charlie and Mark both won a M32 Worlds I believe.  Welch ran a MaxZ86. Jesse sails on Rambler 90', right?  I sailed the Lauderdale to Charleston with Branning as Navigator on the STP65 Moneypenny/Vanquish and he's obviously done a lot longer shit on much bigger boats.  All very qualified to throw a VOD65 around the track.  

Can they beat Ian and his boys, or Bouwe, or NIcho if Nicho comes back?  Sure they can.  I wouldn't bet even odds on it, but it's sure possible in a one-design boat.  It upsets me a bit that the in-port races are no longer part of the scoring though, and I think it hurts these boys some.

#57 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

They won't be allowed to blow it off, and AFAIK there will be an 'in-port championship' which will be worth winning for both sponsors and prizes (probably some nice watches and shit).  Plus, it's not like you can wash the competitiveness off these boys and girls; if they are racing, they will all want to win, and if the lesser teams suspect the better teams are not taking it seriously, they will take advantage and take some in-port hoopla away.

To me the big problem is that it will make things a bit harder to understand for the idiot sports reporters that will cover it for the various port city newspapers and TV networks.  It's hard enough for them to understand that you race through the night, much less that the VOR is actually TWO completely different race series in the same boat...

#58 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

...yeh,it doesn't make a lot of sense :mellow:

#59 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

...yeh,it doesn't make a lot of sense :mellow:

#60 lahana

lahana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Most things beautiful, sailing, drinking at sunset, girls in bikinis.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:47 AM

What words of advice would the sailors like to give to younger sailors trying to get involved with large boat sailing and offshore racing?

Seemed reasonable to re-post the above.

My answer to you is love what you're doing, get down to the harbor and go up and talk to people, be passionate. Most will allow you on board for a look and many will let you sail with them. Then do your best and if it is good enough you might get a spot. Word will spread and offers from other yachts will come your way. Make a name for yourself with your abilities, knowledge and an open and happy personality will also go a long way.

Then again, what do I know, hope that some of the pros here will answer your question.

Good luck Avid Sailor!

#61 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

WORK YOUR ASS OFF DOING THE JOBS NO ONE ELSE WANTS and BE HAPPY DOING IT.  That is the key to getting on big race boats, and from there you can find more glamour jobs after you pay your dues.

You must have actual skill as well, this sport is not a video game.

It is imperative to have a skill other than trimming or driving in order to make yourself valuable to programs.

#62 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:37 AM

Well said rmb, hard work with a good attitude gets you a long way in the industry as well as an ear and eyes open/mouth shut mindset when you're new. Try to learn other skills as mentioned above.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: volvo ocean race, mark towill, charlie enright, all-American offshore team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users