• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 malugo

malugo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

I am searching for plans/drawings/blueprint/CAD-files and such for building a foiling moth.
There seems to be quite a few blogs about the buidling process, but I am having a hard time finding any modern plans so I was hoping you could help me out?

Any plans are of interest even if they are only of parts ex. the foils etc.

I would also be interested in detailed pictures of the adjustment mechanism for the foils.

/Max

#2 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

Buy a used boat in going condition, lean to sail it, go to regattas and learn everything you can from the fast people, then think about building your own boat. Any short cut will cost big money and lead to disappointment.

#3 RJ1

RJ1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

What Phil said. If you can't sail one well and understand it, you won't be able to build one thats any good.

#4 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:19 AM

There are no published designs of any modern fast boats. Most are commercially built and a few are home built and developed. no one makes detail drawings available. If anything has been published in the past its obsolete by now.

#5 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

If you follow Phil's frank advice, along the way you'll also learn where to source free CAD programs for foil design, who has designs of reasonable foils, what works and what doesn't.

There's a wealth of knowledge at any major regatta, look at lots of boats and try to understand the principles since just about everyone has a different approach to doing the same thing. Be prepared to spend many, many hours tinkering, testing, building, re–building and fixing (that goes for any Moth). If it goes as well as it possibly can, at the end of the day you'll have spent about as much as a reasonable second hand production boat and have something that is worth considerably less, even if by chance it goes faster.

So if you are doing this for the sake of building your own boat, at the end you may enjoy the experience and have a boat you enjoy sailing. Best of luck and I hope it goes well. :-)

#6 malugo

malugo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Buying a used boat sounds like the easier option, I am not really interested in buidling a boat at this point.
But I am interested in the design and the technical solutions for the foil adjustment and such.

So are there any build plans online or anybody willing to share their design?

Or mayby somebody has a few good photos to share of thier foil adjustment setup?

#7 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Location:as a general rule: i'm there where there is no wind

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

If somebody asks for plans, he is interested in the plans.

#8 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

http://www.teknologi...art-2-Foils.pdf

Teknologika is probably the best site or technical stuff about moths

http://www.teknologika.com/mothblog/

#9 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

Or poke around on Flutter's blog: http://nickflutter.b...&max-results=15

e.g. Grasshopper demo: 

#10 malugo

malugo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

http://www.teknologika.com/mothblog and http://nickflutter.blogspot.com.au/ are really great sites with lots of useful info and I did find a few dimensions!

Still looking for any plans and more info on the designs!

#11 teknologika

teknologika

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Personally I find Nick's site far more interesting that mine !  :D

My site deliberately does not contain any plans or designs as they are the property of their designers, and royalties need to be paid to the designer for each hull. Key numbers are deliberately omitted, as are laminate schedules as I don't want people getting themselves in trouble.

If you are dead set on building, I would recommend that you contact a local builder and buy a hull shell, deck and frames, and then progress from there. 

However I have to echo the advice of Phil above, that if you are building as a way to get a boat cheaper, than that is the wrong reason to do it. I built my own boat in the period when foilers were in very short supply (before Bladerider existed). It has taken 5 ish years of developing that boat to get it to have reasonable pace, and most of that development was progressively swapping out home built parts with professionally made ones.

Now, that doesn't mean that home designed, and home built can't be faster, however even most "home designed" stuff is now being professionally built, to get access to commercial grade CNC, or 3D printing etc.

You can get a second hand prowler for $5K now, and you will never build for that price.

#12 Ncik

Ncik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

http://perverted-mot...sign-files.html

#13 Ncik

Ncik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:59 AM

Buying a used boat sounds like the easier option, I am not really interested in buidling a boat at this point.
But I am interested in the design and the technical solutions for the foil adjustment and such.

So are there any build plans online or anybody willing to share their design?

Or mayby somebody has a few good photos to share of thier foil adjustment setup?

http://perverted-mot...nvolutions.html

#14 malugo

malugo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

http://perverted-moth.blogspot.com.au/ This is a great site, exactly what i was looking for! 

Lots of info for the tech geek with great photos of the details and 3D models!

Great site! Thanks for the tip!

#15 Ncik

Ncik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:15 AM

Note that most of it is outdated, but worth a look if you can't see a mach2 in person.

And Markla hasn't updated it with results of the convolution machine but it works much better than anything he had on previously, so that's a positive.

#16 malugo

malugo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

In what way is it outdated?

Is it the foil design, foil adjustment, what is the difference?

#17 Ncik

Ncik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

Yep, both of those. That control system design was scrapped reasonably quickly and Markla has finally gotten around to putting something decent onboard. Also note that the current boat bears very little similarity with the plans. Only thing that is similar is the hull; both foils are different, gantry has been through numerous iterations (although I think Markla still likes the aluminium pipe gantry), control system is new, wing bars are new (retro fitted from an assassin).

#18 Cruiser

Cruiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

I also vote that you should buy a used moth and get into the class before trying to build one without an intimate knowledge.

They are a lot of work to make and very structural, if you were to spend the time making one the first time and you brought it to a regatta (if it does not break) you will then probably learn that you should have done things different.

We only want peoples moth experiences to be good and successful so that will stay in the class. Buying a used boat will be much easier and you will learn lots.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Moth, Foils, foil, foiling, Moths

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users