27 replies to this topic

#1 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

Some dirty rotten scoundrel has taken my Thoughts, Tips, Techniques & Tactics for Singlehanded Sailing and put it up on Amazon as a Kindle book for money.    This is a fraudulent effort.  My book is only available for free from the San Francisco Singlehanded Sailing Society at http://sfbaysss.org/main/resources/

I have contacted Amazon, but of course it will take some time for the wheels to turn and get it pulled.  What I laugh at most is that the scoundrel has put on a new cover, showing fully crewed boats!!!  That's just embarrassing.

A new version of my book will be published on paper later this year.  But this certainly is not it.

Attached Files

#2 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

You're advertising for him!! It's like Pepsi with New Coke! That's fucked up though.

#3 Carbontech

Carbontech

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

A few choice reviews might set him straight?

#4 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Roadtrip!

#5 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Grifter. 

#6 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

I think I know who might have done this. Have you ever heard of a guy named Joe Biden?

#7 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

I like how the real cover shows the solo sailor on the Olsen 30 with a nicely wrapped jib-batten - just like how it really is...

The fool that is trying to pirate your work should be mocked, scorned and shamed, to be sure.

#8 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

I like how the real cover shows the solo sailor on the Olsen 30 with a nicely wrapped jib-batten - just like how it really is...

That's me.  Notice that I'm holding the spin sheet in one hand and bracing myself with the other, with the tiller under my knee.   It was windy that day! (You can see reefs in the main and the storm jib on the deck, just in case the wind picked up some more.)  I was just crossing the start line of a pursuit race when that photo was snapped.

#9 flatearth

flatearth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

I didn't see a copyright on your publication. I give away lots of material, but I copyright and license using creative commons. 

You know the saying, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. 

report issue

https://kdp.amazon.c...=A2K47AHVCLIVP2

register CC

https://creativecommons.org/choose/

not  a new issue for amazon

http://gigaom.com/20...elations-issue/

#10 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:22 AM

Flatearth, thanks for pointing those sites out.  It looks like this type of copying is pretty frequent on Amazon/Kindle.  I spoke to them directly by phone the moment that my publisher pointed out the pirated edition to  me.   And the lady at Amazon said she was going to get on it right away. 

I believe that under common law, something is copyright the moment it is created.  So it is not really necessary to go through a special process.  And I don't mind if people copy it for free sites.  Large parts of the book have been translated into a dozen foreign languages without my permission. And the entire book has been translated into Russian.  I don't want to stifle this type of thing. But it is pretty rude to try to sell someone else's work like this.

#11 flatearth

flatearth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

I believe that under common law, something is copyright the moment it is created.  So it is not really necessary to go through a special process.  And I don't mind if people copy it for free sites.  Large parts of the book have been translated into a dozen foreign languages without my permission. And the entire book has been translated into Russian.  I don't want to stifle this type of thing. But it is pretty rude to try to sell someone else's work like this.

Correct, but would help if you needed to make a claim.

http://m.wikihow.com/Copyright-a-Book

Good basic info including poor man's registration i.e. mail to yourself.

CC has no fees, just stipulates what can be done with your work. Like translated and given away for free, etc.

#12 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, sailing, beer.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

hammer him with bad reviews and drive the worth down. there are "other" things to do but i don't wanna suggest them. ask one of your nerdy friends. 

#13 JohnMB

JohnMB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Flatearth, thanks for pointing those sites out.  It looks like this type of copying is pretty frequent on Amazon/Kindle.  I spoke to them directly by phone the moment that my publisher pointed out the pirated edition to  me.   And the lady at Amazon said she was going to get on it right away. 

CC allows you to specify in advance what uses you automatically allow (license) e.g. translations, etc.

registration (assuming this is a US work) mainly helps because if you are infringed you can get statutory damages and your attorneys fees paid.... this can be a big disincentive to copiers.

#14 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for your advice.  From what I'm reading about the Kindle downloads site, this is a common problems.  It is most likely coming from the third world, so they don't care what copyrights I've got on anything.  What am I going to do, sue some guy working out of a sweatshop in Nigeria?

The people at Amazon have responded quite quickly.  They had me send them a letter with specific wording. They will use that as authority to pull it down.

Please don't give the book bad reviews (unless you really do hate the book).  That's my book :-(

#15 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

No but they need a US bank account to collect the funds.  you sue the entity that created that account and you report it a wire fraud to the local US Atty.  You might even get the balance of that account.

We aren't giving the book itself "bad reviews" - just that instance of it.

but that does suggest you should sign up with Amazon for

A) to be a "print on demand" book

B) be a Kindle download book. 

figure out what nominal amount you need to charge to keep Amazon happy and to pay for copyright protection.  And set the price at that

#16 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Wow, what a scumbag.    Good luck Andy.

#17 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

I've just heard from Amazon that it will be down within a few days.  Thanks everyone!

#18 Corvo

Corvo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Spelling and grammar

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

I don't see it there now.

#19 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:00 AM

I can't find it either. Amazon is pretty good.

#20 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

Yup. It's gone.  I can't complain about Amazon's reaction time.

#21 deano

deano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:42 AM

Andrew I read your book last year, and still have a copy (freely downloaded the right way) on my boat.

Well done for fixing the rip off.

Suggestion for the next version: do a singlehanded-multihull version.

#22 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:46 AM

Oohhh! Twin hull/catamaran O30. Nice

#23 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Suggestion for the next version: do a singlehanded-multihull version.

As you can tell from my book, I am very performance oriented.  I really believe in pushing the boat to the limit.   So every time I see another story about a big tri flipping, I am confirmed in my thought that multihulls are just not  built for singlehanding.  They flip too easily and once they flip, there is no option but a rescue. This goes against my entire philosophy that singlehanders should be self sufficient.    I remember a trans-Atlantic race some years ago where 40% of the boats flipped.  To me this is just nuts.  Didn't another big 80' multihull just flip a couple of months ago? It happens so often that I just ignore them now.

I know that there are big, stable multihull cruisers out there, but they are not really in my frame of mind with the book that is more performance oriented.  In one part of the book I mention how unreliable boat engines are.  I received a comment from a multihull cruiser that he has motors on both of his hulls, so he doesn't worry about one quitting.  TWO MOTORS!!!  Give me a break.  We are sailors, not motorists. 

I really believe that the future of singlehanding lies in canting keels with dagger boards, or the Dynamic Stability System wing that sticks out the side and nearly makes the boat into a multihull.  In the new version of the book, that will be published on real paper by International Marine next fall, I've added a whole chapter on the subject of keels that covers both of these in detail.  So just wait until the fall and you will see what I've come up with.

#24 The Smokester

The Smokester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Glad this got taken care of by Amazon. Read your download and am looking forward to the new version in the fall. Thank you.

#25 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Glad this got taken care of by Amazon. Read your download and am looking forward to the new version in the fall. Thank you.

+1.
I really like your book, too. Lots of helpful advice. Thanks.

#26 beachsailor

beachsailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

If you like performance a depowered multi will still be faster than most powered up monos. And a canting keel boat is almost always powered by a motor. And lets talk about how many keels have broken off those canting keel monos. The safety is in how the boat is sailed not the boat.  The book is great but please keep an open mind.

#27 kingstonsail

kingstonsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on Bacon

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hmmmmm...is it irony when the person with the most information on copyright protection grabs his avatar pic from a New Yorker magazine cover ?

I didn't see a copyright on your publication. I give away lots of material, but I copyright and license using creative commons. 

You know the saying, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. 

report issue

https://kdp.amazon.c...=A2K47AHVCLIVP2

register CC

https://creativecommons.org/choose/

not  a new issue for amazon

http://gigaom.com/20...elations-issue/

#28 SereneSpeed

SereneSpeed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts