#1 Anemkne Tickler

Anemkne Tickler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Antrim 27
    Solo offshore

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:52 AM

I am building a new hatch for my Antrim 27. I am using 1/4 closed cell foam with S glass. How much strength do you lose if the hatch is made of two pieces of foam vs one? Are there any requirements of the hatch to sail singlehanded transpac?

#2 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

Actually might be a little stronger with two pieces because you would bond them to eachother before glassing - this would act like a spine - the older surfboards used to have a strip of balsa down the centers -

Now if you are putting core on top of core to gain thickness then even more so - No idea on TP requirements 

#3 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:38 AM

If the foam blocks will be side by side, just fill in between them with some thickened resin, If they will be stacked to make 1/2", bond them together with resin.

Either way will be good - the glass gives the strength, the foam give the stiffness.

#4 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Sloop Jon hit it!

#5 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

Are there any requirements of the hatch to sail singlehanded transpac?

Not specifically except that it shuts !

#6 Scottyk

Scottyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

I am building a new hatch for my Antrim 27. I am using 1/4 closed cell foam with S glass. How much strength do you lose if the hatch is made of two pieces of foam vs one? Are there any requirements of the hatch to sail singlehanded transpac?

My advice would be to make it out of 1/2" foam.  This will make the structure lighter as you won't need to have as much glass on it.

You could do 2 layers of 1/4" if you don't mind laminating them before you glass either side.  If it has to be 1/4" then it will need quite a bit of glass either side.

Just butt join the foam if you have to join 2 pieces together, no need to scarf or anything.  If your putting a bit of curve in the hatch then make sure your butt joins are in line with the curve so they get bent rather than across the curve so they don't bend along their length (if that makes sense?).  

#7 Anemkne Tickler

Anemkne Tickler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Antrim 27
    Solo offshore

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:37 AM

Once the foam board is laminated, does it need to be painted? Will the sun damage the resin faster if not painted? I would like to leave it unpainted to let more light into the boat.

#8 vmg

vmg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

consult your resin manufacturer. Then paint it anyhow!

Once the foam board is laminated, does it need to be painted? Will the sun damage the resin faster if not painted? I would like to leave it unpainted to let more light into the boat.

#9 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:27 AM

Paint it.   Sun does degrade the resin.    Or leave it unpainted for the race and paint after.

The Antrim 27 that used to do the most Shorthanding/Singlehanding had to get a reduced cut mainsail and spinnakers to keep it on it's feet.    

#10 DRDNA

DRDNA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

you can coat the hatch with UV clear coat, or finish it with UV epoxy from Fiberglass Hawaii, or UV clear gel coat.  If you want protection I'd use the UV epoxy, then a thin coat of vinylester, then UV gel coat.  Pretty sure DuraTec just added a UV clear coat to their line of products too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users