Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

So this is my cranky old man moment.

I am browsing the Newport Bermuda site the other day and see a posted article by a skipper who did the race for the first time in 2012 and is sharing his thoughts for other people contemplating doing the race.  "How nice", I thought to myself.  Somebody who is generous with their experience and hopeful that others will get to have the same joy they got from ocean racing.

My good cheer lasted about five or six paragraphs, until in the middle of an explanation about safety he wrote "The Newport Bermuda Race is the Everest of sailing".  

Really?  A 635 mile jaunt that might take a longish weekend to complete is the same as the world's tallest mountain, located in the remote regions of Nepal?  To be fair to the author, I had an identical reaction when the same phrase was bandied about for this year's Sydney Hobart race.  Although I suppose if you consider that there are hundreds of boats and thousands of people clogging up the seas between either destination, with plenty of professionals willing and able to short-rope you to the top of these two "Everests", then maybe the comparison is a little bit more apt.

Both races are certainly iconic ocean races.  Both offer a taste of danger, and a distraction from the comforts of civilization.  Both could be considered an adventure if you set aside the fact that either track is criss crossed by dozens of vessels in any given week of any given year.  But Everest?  Pah! Try to compare either race to the Vendee Globe, the Barcelona Race, the Volvo or the Mini Transat.  If your 600 mile jaunt is "Everest", what would that make those races?  You are going to run out of empty superlatives pretty quickly.

The abuse of this comparison as a simple extension of the phenomena where every child gets a ribbon, or grade inflation at Harvard.  We have gotten so numb to empty praise intended to make everyone feel special that we have to come up with ever more inflated ways to puff up our fragile egos.  The Newport Bermuda or Sydney Hobart certainly is an accomplishment, particularly for a corinthian sailor who has never been more than 20 miles off shore.  Either race may even be one's personal mountain to climb.  But Everest?  Don't be silly.

#2 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Nowadays Mt. Everest is quite a tourist destination anyway.

Pay and you'll get to the top.

#3 jameswilson29

jameswilson29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Maybe it should be compared to defeating the Nazis....

#4 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

I am browsing the Newport Bermuda site the other day and see a posted article by a skipper who did the race for the first time in 2012 and is sharing his thoughts for other people contemplating doing the race.  "How nice", I thought to myself.  Somebody who is generous with their experience and hopeful that others will get to have the same joy they got from ocean racing.

My good cheer lasted about five or six paragraphs, until in the middle of an explanation about safety he wrote "The Newport Bermuda Race is the Everest of sailing".  

Really?  A 635 mile jaunt that might take a longish weekend to complete is the same as the world's tallest mountain, located in the remote regions of Nepal?  To be fair to the author, I had an identical reaction when the same phrase was bandied about for this year's Sydney Hobart race.  Although I suppose if you consider that there are hundreds of boats and thousands of people clogging up the seas between either destination, with plenty of professionals willing and able to short-rope you to the top of these two "Everests", then maybe the comparison is a little bit more apt.

Both races are certainly iconic ocean races.  Both offer a taste of danger, and a distraction from the comforts of civilization.  Both could be considered an adventure if you set aside the fact that either track is criss crossed by dozens of vessels in any given week of any given year.  But Everest?  Pah! Try to compare either race to the Vendee Globe, the Barcelona Race, the Volvo or the Mini Transat.  If your 600 mile jaunt is "Everest", what would that make those races?  You are going to run out of empty superlatives pretty quickly.

The abuse of this comparison as a simple extension of the phenomena where every child gets a ribbon, or grade inflation at Harvard.  We have gotten so numb to empty praise intended to make everyone feel special that we have to come up with ever more inflated ways to puff up our fragile egos.  The Newport Bermuda or Sydney Hobart certainly is an accomplishment, particularly for a corinthian sailor who has never been more than 20 miles off shore.  Either race may even be one's personal mountain to climb.  But Everest?  Don't be silly.

A few weeks to get ready.  50-100 grand for a good charter and the pro sailors/sherpas, and you are good to go.  You don't need to be terribly fit, you don't need to know much, and there is a remote chance you will die.  It actually is the perfect comparison Mike

#5 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Except we all know the Vendee Globe is the actual Everest…..   without sherpas or oxygen.

#6 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

I've heard the phrase so many times in so many different races... I think we've got the makings of a new drinking game. 

#7 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

Everest via the Southeast Col has always been a walk-up. Sure, walking above 8000 meters requires stamina, preparation, fitness and determination. And it was a damned tough walk before the advent of modern gear and the weather can get nasty, quickly. But it's a walk-up.

That said, both the Hobart and the Bermuda are basically cake walks. Modern forecasting has taken most of the mystery out of the Gulf Stream and Southern Busters and modern hull shapes have reduced the times to little more than a 3-day weekend even for club racers.

If you want to talk about serious high-altitude mountaineering then you talk about K2.

And if you want to talk about serious ocean racing, you talk about the Vendee, the Barcelona World Race and the Volvo.

#8 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

Except we all know the Vendee Globe is the actual Everest…..   without sherpas or oxygen.

+1

#9 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • Interests:Vary daily

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

Well played Sir!

#10 ALL AT SEA

ALL AT SEA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:water, wind, gravity, keeping the wench happy.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

I have issues with this phrase for other reasons, although the its reference in the Sydney-Hobart did make me wince... My gripe is the traffic on Everest is often thick these days, with groups sometimes queuing for their chance to summit on clear days. Maybe Everest should be referred to as the 'solo non-stop round the world' of mountaineering. 

#11 DFL1010

DFL1010

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Most annoying hyperbole in the world. Ever.

#12 wristwister

wristwister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Yes, it's the Everest of hyperbole

#13 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

a perfect ranting subject for the front page

#14 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

Here it is in the Hobart. Everyone take a shot. 

http://www.dailymoti..._sport&start=31

#15 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:cruising and racing on the Gulf of Maine and beyond

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

On Everest, on average one climber dies for every ten that make it to the summit and back down again (still).

Maybe a better comparison might be that the Newport-Bermuda race is like the Mount Monadnock of sailing....?

#16 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

For a blue water sailor, Bermuda is very short leg, almost a 'lunch stop'.  Most of us are not even really into our sea legs and sleep rhythm when we get there. It is hardly Everest, much less K2 or Nanga Parbat (which is more dangerous)

But the gulf stream can be "interesting".  It is one of the half dozen most interesting ocean features in the world. The gulf stream deserves respect.

#17 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

Really?  A 635 mile jaunt that might take a longish weekend to complete is the same as the world's tallest mountain, located in the remote regions of Nepal? 

Could be an accurate description, here's the line up for Everest.

everest_002.jpg

#18 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

Well played Sir.

#19 Total Slacker

Total Slacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

RM, that was the clearly Everest of Rants.

OK, leaving now...

#20 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,666 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

Nowadays Mt. Everest is quite a tourist destination anyway.
Pay and you'll get to the top.

That's the Everest of Exaggerations.

Firstly, the major guiding companies won't accept people without prior climbing experience. One, for example, specifies climbing experience at Alpine grade AD (which is far from cutting edge but still excludes 99% of the population) and prior experience above 6000m.

Secondly, if you aren't hyper-fit, you aren't going to get far.

Thirdly, cross your fingers for good weather. No weather window, no summit.

Fourthly, people still die in the attempt. Not nearly as many proportionally as used to do so but more, much more, than any sailing event.

One of the major guiding companies actually provides stats on success rates, which vary from 55%-75% year to year. Of those who don't make it, around half don't get as far as the South Col, which I think is the destination of the long line of climbers shown above (i.e. they are not on the way to the summit).

No I haven't summited Everest but I know people who have.

#21 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,666 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

Everest via the Southeast Col has always been a walk-up. Sure, walking above 8000 meters requires stamina, preparation, fitness and determination. And it was a damned tough walk before the advent of modern gear and the weather can get nasty, quickly. But it's a walk-up.

Other than the Hilary Step, which doesn't really fall into most people's idea of a walk. It's a bit airy. Yes there will be fixed ropes.

img_062-dav-hillary-step.jpg

#22 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

I climbed with a great PNW climber Pete Schoening for several years, who was the highest American before Whittaker (whose Swan 44 Impossible never quite performed well. . . it's different).  Pete executed "The Belay" that saved 5 falling climbers on K2 in '53, and was a truly amazing guy.  I learned more about tying knots, safety, what can go wrong, and keeping it simple from him.   Pete made it to 26,000 feet on Everest at 69 years old.  I want to be like him when I grow up.

I've gotten my ass kicked climbing, and on Sydney/Hobart, but neither compares to Everest before the tourist masses, and certainly Newport/Bermuda does not.

#23 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Cool. You might want to do a light edit. I have two or three minor typos in there

#24 euro

euro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

+1

Everest???  I've never climbed the big mountain myself but have gone south a fair few times and can tell you; Hobart is a walk in the park most years with the odd exceptions that can probably be counted on 1 to 2 hands in the 69 years its been on....  And the vid?  Classic Australian media bla...

#25 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • Interests:Vary daily

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Where is that?

Someone had to say it...

#26 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

and i have always been under the impression that cape horn (on the usual non-benevolent days) was the everest of sailing. :P

#27 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

i think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill....

who cares what he says?

he accomplished a goal - good for him.

#28 Cruzan1

Cruzan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Rum and bow legged woman.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Good rant. Newport to Bermuda is more akin to a weekend hike along the Appalachian trial.

Cue the Deliverance music

#29 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,254 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

#30 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

It is known.

#31 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:US East coast single & double handed distance racing

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Maybe Everest should be referred to as the 'solo non-stop round the world' of mountaineering. 

Rich Wilson includes a fun graphic in his Vendee presentation:

Vendee.jpg

Sums it up nicely.

#32 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Well played Sir.

LOL.
RM, I had the same reaction as yours. What a load of extravagant bollocks that report was. I agree with Estar that the Gulf stream is a fascinating bit of water to get across optimally, and has a personality of its own.

#33 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

i think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill....

who cares what he says?

he accomplished a goal - good for him.

I don't think anyone has a problem with that achievement, only the mountains he has made of the molehill when there are much more deserving comparisons :)

#34 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

For some… those races can be the Everest of spewing.

#35 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

Cool. You might want to do a light edit. I have two or three minor typos in there

That's ma job!  Might through in my own take as well.  

#36 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

That's ma job!  Might through in my own take as well.  

Well, you're throwing in your own spelling. Might be better without the edit...

#37 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

That's about the only part of the editing process I'm good at!

#38 Haji

Haji

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:Energy systems, Bike racing, Guitar playing, XC Skiing

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Maybe Everest should be referred to as the 'solo non-stop round the world' of mountaineering. 

Vendee.jpg

Sums it up nicely.

Is it still only 50 or so?  I suppose I should know, but I don't.

#39 miscut jib

miscut jib

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Everest is up to >4000 summiters, 538 people summited from the south last year alone:

http://www.alanarnet...3-season-recap/

Number of basecamp trekkers is in the many thousands a year and there's internet cafes along the way. Not quite Kansas, but it's nothing like the  experiences of the pioneers of climbing in terms of remoteness.

#40 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

Nice to see the death ratio down from 10% to only 3.6% on Everest (and only 1.2% for 2013!) -- which means only 1 person has died in the attempt for every 28 people that made it to the summit (on average). I wonder what the death ratio is for non-stop solo round-the-world sailors, or for astronauts orbiting the earth. Everest still strikes me as more dangerous....

#41 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:41 AM

Nice to see the death ratio down from 10% to only 3.6% on Everest (and only 1.2% for 2013!) -- which means only 1 person has died in the attempt for every 28 people that made it to the summit (on average). I wonder what the death ratio is for non-stop solo round-the-world sailors, or for astronauts orbiting the earth. Everest still strikes me as more dangerous....

NASA was 3.4% the last time I looked.

Solo non-stop is lower.  There was a high spike back when the boats would stay upside down, but particularity recently it is well under 1%.  Still orders of magnitudes higher than most other perceived 'dangerous sports'.  I put the following together for the Low Speed Chase report, but they got edited out of the final draft:

Base Jumping .04%

Cycling .001% (interaction with cars make it more dangerous than one might expect)

SKyDiving .001%

Football (european) .001%

Running a marathon .0008% (heart attacks a major cause apparently)

Skiing .00006%

#42 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:34 AM

I have an acquaintance who has climbed Everest at least 14 times, plus done 2 rescues above 27,000'. No matter how much help you get, it sounds like a miserable slog. Bermuda can be a lovely sail, I don't see Everest as being a lovely walk, no matter how well it goes.

Everest is safe compared to K2, which is safe compared to Hummingbird Ridge.

#43 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:11 AM

In context, should it not be the "Marianas Trench of Sailing"?

#44 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

In context, should it not be the "Marianas Trench of Sailing"?

i think more people have walked on the moon than have been to the bottom of the Marianas Trench

#45 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Agreed.

Evans, one thing about the published mountaineering death rates is that they are comparing the number of climbers who died in the attempt only to the number of climbers who successfully reached the summit (and came back down), not to the total number of climbers who started out from base camp with the intention of trying to make the summit, but turned back before getting there (and before dieing) for whatever reason. So I believe that is a little different from the statistics you cited for other action sports, where they are probably looking at deaths compared to the total number of participants (at all levels? e.g. skiing the bunny slopes?).

My Dad turned back just 200 or 300 feet (vertical) short of the summit of Denali. Well into his sixties, he just couldn't keep up with the younger members of his party, and knew that he had run out of time...

#46 miscut jib

miscut jib

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Fair point about the basis for calculation, but then you also need to take into account 7 of the recent fatalities have been Sherpas, i.e. professionals working on the mountain with much different goals than a recreational climber or even a western professional. Everest, because it's Everest, also attracts all manner of people. 82 year olds trying to be the oldest to summit (another recent fatality), parties of 16 year olds, different scene entirely. Apples and Kumquats.

#47 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

I've gotten my ass kicked climbing, and on Sydney/Hobart, but neither compares to Everest before the tourist masses, and certainly Newport/Bermuda does not.

The only guy I know who has done Everest, Fastnet, Hobart, Lhotse and (IIRC) K2 and Towers of Paine (sp) agrees that the offshore races are the proverbial stroll through the greenery compared to the Himalayas.

#48 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

NASA was 3.4% the last time I looked.

Solo non-stop is lower.  There was a high spike back when the boats would stay upside down, but particularity recently it is well under 1%.  Still orders of magnitudes higher than most other perceived 'dangerous sports'.  I put the following together for the Low Speed Chase report, but they got edited out of the final draft:

Base Jumping .04%

Cycling .001% (interaction with cars make it more dangerous than one might expect)

SKyDiving .001%

Football (european) .001%

Running a marathon .0008% (heart attacks a major cause apparently)

Skiing .00006%

Sydney-Hobart about .0004 

#49 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

Vendee.jpg

Sums it up nicely.

We were just talking about/researching that...

We came up with 101 successful attempts by 78 individuals. I've seen several definitions of "around the world" but I think the one most people point to is WSSRC (section 26.1.a). Certainly all the Vendée Globe finishers on this list meet that standard but I can't vouch for the rest.Those who started and finished from Europe probably meet it but the Australian listings might need more scrutiny. For example I recall there was a stink about Jessica Watson's track not exceeding 21,600 nm. Anyway, lots of missing data, and my apologies if anyone was left out but here's what we came up with. All corrections welcome.

SinglehandedNonstopCircumnavigators1.jpg

#50 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

That said, both the Hobart and the Bermuda are basically cake walks. Modern forecasting has taken most of the mystery out of the Gulf Stream and Southern Busters and modern hull shapes have reduced the times to little more than a 3-day weekend even for club racers.

If you want to talk about serious high-altitude mountaineering then you talk about K2.

And if you want to talk about serious ocean racing, you talk about the Vendee, the Barcelona World Race and the Volvo.

You've summited Everest then? Attempted K2? Denali? I'm just trying to calibrate your version of a walk up. Lots of people die on the easiest "walk ups" on Everest and Denali. And as hard as K2 is, it isn't close to the most difficult summit in the Karakoram.

#51 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

I have an acquaintance who has climbed Everest at least 14 times, plus done 2 rescues above 27,000'. No matter how much help you get, it sounds like a miserable slog. Bermuda can be a lovely sail, I don't see Everest as being a lovely walk, no matter how well it goes.

Well, it's unrepeated and Freer and Cheesemond are still up there. But there are tons of routes more difficult that K2: Latok 1 for example, Ogre, I could write for a week and not get to the end of a list of routes that I don't have the balls to try.

#52 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:52 AM

Vendee.jpg

Sums it up nicely.

We came up with 101 successful attempts by 78 individuals. I've seen several definitions of "around the world" but I think the one most people point to is WSSRC (section 26.1.a). Certainly all the Vendée Globe finishers on this list meet that standard but I can't vouch for the rest.Those who started and finished from Europe probably meet it but the Australian listings might need more scrutiny. For example I recall there was a stink about Jessica Watson's track not exceeding 21,600 nm. Anyway, lots of missing data, and my apologies if anyone was left out but here's what we came up with. All corrections welcome.

JG do you have this as a PDF or XLS file?  Would appreciate

#53 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:12 AM

Jonathan, thank you for doing that research.

What an amazing feat of Jon Sanders. 5 times around in two trips. And he was only the fourth to do it at all.

#54 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

John,

Nice work. Just glancing briefly at it you need to remove Samantha Brewster. Her Westabout circumnavigation was not non-stop. SHe stopped in Brazil, I think it was for a broken boom. 

You are right that Jessica Watson's circumnavigation was questioned. Unbelievably she did not sail the requisite miles in the opposite hemisphere to her start, by just a few hundred miles. Seems to someone should have told her at the time just remove any question. Her voyage should still be recognised in a list like yours, but rightly the WSSRC will not because of the 'youngest' age category anyway.

#55 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

John,
Nice work. Just glancing briefly at it you need to remove Samantha Brewster. Her Westabout circumnavigation was not non-stop. SHe stopped in Brazil, I think it was for a broken boom. 
You are right that Jessica Watson's circumnavigation was questioned. Unbelievably she did not sail the requisite miles in the opposite hemisphere to her start, by just a few hundred miles. Seems to someone should have told her at the time just remove any question. Her voyage should still be recognised in a list like yours, but rightly the WSSRC will not because of the 'youngest' age category anyway.

Please. Anything but this shit again.

#56 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

Vendee.jpg

Sums it up nicely.

Where the fuck is Reed Stowe?????

#57 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

John,

What shit? I am saying her voyage should be recognised but that the WSSRC has rightly stopped recognising the 'youngest' category. As for the distance thing, if the WSSRC are not recognising it then it is irrelevant. Untwist your knickers, I still think what she did is amazing, and more than I would/could have done at that age for sure!

#58 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

John,

What shit? I am saying her voyage should be recognised but that the WSSRC has rightly stopped recognising the 'youngest' category. As for the distance thing, if the WSSRC are not recognising it then it is irrelevant. Untwist your knickers, I still think what she did is amazing, and more than I would/could have done at that age for sure!

Yep. That's the shit I mean. Once you have achieved something more than body odour by yourself, come back and comment on JW achievements.

#59 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

John,

Yep. That's the shit I mean. Once you have achieved something more than body odour by yourself, come back and comment on JW achievements.

Nope, sorry, I don't understand your issue. All I have done is state facts and say I think she is impressive. 

DO I think it is right for WSSRC to stop the 'youngest' category, well yes. Not because of Jess, but because of who might come in the future.  Pull your head out of your arse.

As for achieving something more than body odour, what the hell does that have to do with having an opinion?

#60 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

JG do you have this as a PDF or XLS file?  Would appreciate

Here you go: XLS and PDF. I have a couple different people working on this so it's being updated continually. If you want to make edits/contributions, perhaps a google doc would make more sense.

Just glancing briefly at it you need to remove Samantha Brewster. Her Westabout circumnavigation was not non-stop. SHe stopped in Brazil, I think it was for a broken boom. 

Roger that, thanks. She has been removed.

#61 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

^^

Jeanne Socrates 2013

I am guessing there are several more "cruiser types" who gave done it quietly, people like the griffith's (I believe their specific trip did not make the currently "correct" distance, but of course back then the WSSRC did not exist). I know there was an Irish guy who did it in a 38' steel boat - we met him in kinsale but can't remember his name. There is also a soviet block guy (polish ?) who has done it - we met him in Iceland.

#62 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

^^

Jeanne Socrates 2013

I am guessing there are several more "cruiser types" who gave done it quietly, people like the griffith's (I believe their specific trip did not make the currently "correct" distance, but of course back then the WSSRC did not exist). I know there was an Irish guy who did it in a 38' steel boat - we met him in kinsale but can't remember his name. There is also a soviet block guy (polish ?) who has done it - we met him in Iceland.

Were they non-stop? Most cruisers want to stop at least a few times along the way.  I would love to do a Richard Clifford style circumnavigation. Taking about 7 years and working his way slowly through the Pacific.

#63 QBF

QBF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:My Dog, writing my dog's blog, and sailing.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

The Polish sailor mentioned might be Tomasz Lewandowski who sailed non-stop West to East from Ensenada, CA to Ensenada, CA during 2007-2008 on a Mikado 56 named Luka.

The trip took a leisurely 391 Days, 20 Hours, 29 Minutes, 10 Seconds.

However, Tom did have his First Mate, Wacek with him (Jack Russel Terrier)

Tom's voyage was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records 2010 (page 90 something).

Unfortunately, Mr. Lewandowski passed away in 2012.

Here is a link to his website
http://www.soloaroundtheworld.com

Attached Files

#64 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

More, maybe a separate topic worth ??

Dutchies:

Jan Wit - 54yr old
Mono boatname Bastaert van Campen (design Koopmans Ned) Loa 11.87 meter 1995-1996 263 days Plymouth-Plymouth (UK)
info: trustworthy source Kustzeilers
http://www.kustzeile...ld rond_kl.pdf

Pleun van der Lugt 30 yr Mono Zeeuwse stromen (ferro cement design Jay. R. Benford USA) 12,70  meter 1981-1982  286 days Zierikzee-Zierikzee (Ned)

#65 Haji

Haji

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

To address RM's original concern, and given that thousands have successfully climbed Everest, perhaps we need a new metaphor for the solo RTW stuff. 

So, what difficult adventure is there, that has roughly the same number of wackos (77 or so, evidently) that have done it? 

Looking at the top mountain challenges, it appears that many more have done all of them than have gone solo RTW, however the death rates are much higher (130 have successfully climbed Annapurna, however the death rate 41%, yow!).  Baintha Brakk sounds like a toughie...only a few have made it however can't find out how many exactly. 

Hard to find a comparable event...suggestions?

#66 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

Any numbers on how many have climbed everest solo without oxygen bottles?

#67 QBF

QBF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:My Dog, writing my dog's blog, and sailing.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

Here are some statistics 1922 - 2006 from Explorer's Web.

As of 2006, there were only 144 successful Everest climbs without oxygen.  How many there have been since 2006, I don't know

http://www.adventure...restO2Fat.shtml

Attached Files

#68 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

As of 2006, there were only 144 successful Everest climbs without oxygen.  How many there have been since 2006, I don't know

I came across this blog with a recap of the 2013 season on Everest, indicating 9 people did it without oxygen bottles last season alone.

#69 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,954 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

Were they non-stop? Most cruisers want to stop at least a few times along the way.  I would love to do a Richard Clifford style circumnavigation. Taking about 7 years and working his way slowly through the Pacific.

Wonder how long Dylan could take...?

#70 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

As an aside, Charlie porter just died . . . He was a rock and ice legend, and then took up sailing in Patagonia. A very low profile guy, but one of the true studs.

Just some background on his early climbing . . . .http://www.supertopo...ORTER-INTERVIEW

#71 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:30 AM

To address RM's original concern, and given that thousands have successfully climbed Everest, perhaps we need a new metaphor for the solo RTW stuff. 

So, what difficult adventure is there, that has roughly the same number of wackos (77 or so, evidently) that have done it? 

Looking at the top mountain challenges, it appears that many more have done all of them than have gone solo RTW, however the death rates are much higher (130 have successfully climbed Annapurna, however the death rate 41%, yow!).  Baintha Brakk sounds like a toughie...only a few have made it however can't find out how many exactly. 

The Ogre, aka Baintha Braak has seen three (3) successful ascents. 7 climbers total. Bonington, Scott, Huber, Stocker, Wolf, Kennedy, Dempster.

Latok remains unclimbed.

#72 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

As an aside, Charlie porter just died . . . He was a rock and ice legend, and then took up sailing in Patagonia. A very low profile guy, but one of the true studs.

Just some background on his early climbing . . . .http://www.supertopo...ORTER-INTERVIEW

Did you ever meet him?

#73 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

^^. Yes, spent quite a bit of time with him in Patagonia. We shared having "escaped" from similar New England roots. I had profound respect for him. He did very hard stuff very quietly, just for the personal pleasure.

#74 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

John,

Nope, sorry, I don't understand your issue. All I have done is state facts and say I think she is impressive. 
DO I think it is right for WSSRC to stop the 'youngest' category, well yes. Not because of Jess, but because of who might come in the future.  Pull your head out of your arse.
As for achieving something more than body odour, what the hell does that have to do with having an opinion?
So why bring it up? Whether she sailed the correct distance or not has been debated to death in many many threads over the years. Back peddle as hard as you like now, but it doesn't change the fact that you said she didn't sail the distance. Get back to us when you get back from your solo lap.

#75 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:43 AM

I came across this blog with a recap of the 2013 season on Everest, indicating 9 people did it without oxygen bottles last season alone.

Getting closer, though i imagine the number of soloists is even smaller than the RTW'ers?

#76 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:13 AM

Until the rise of commercial/guided ascents in the 90's, the fatality rate was 37%. The commercial expeditions put so many people on top that the rate is down to .04. Nepal makes a craplad of money off of these trips, so there is virtually no hope of giving the mountain back to nature or climbers that have earned the right to be there.

There are so many ways of getting the chop while climbing over 8000m, especially when climbing without supplemental oxygen. what you need to remember is that every hour that you spend up there...you're dying...slowly. If you screw up, you might as well be in space. You walk over a lot of unsuccessful climbers on the way to the summit of Everest...on the easiest route.

#77 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

Getting closer, though i imagine the number of soloists is even smaller than the RTW'ers?

It's hard to tell Alan without going back to messner's ascent and counting them from the AAJ journals. I'm fairly certain the number of soloists without supplemental O2 is pretty darn low.

#78 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:20 AM

Until the rise of commercial/guided ascents in the 90's, the fatality rate was 37%. The commercial expeditions put so many people on top that the rate is down to .04. Nepal makes a craplad of money off of these trips, so there is virtually no hope of giving the mountain back to nature or climbers that have earned the right to be there.

There are so many ways of getting the chop while climbing over 8000m, especially when climbing without supplemental oxygen. what you need to remember is that every hour that you spend up there...you're dying...slowly. If you screw up, you might as well be in space. You walk over a lot of unsuccessful climbers on the way to the summit of Everest...on the easiest route.

Thanks NS.  It's funny how the ocean seems like a blank slate, but every circumnavigator (and even ocean crosser, really) is riding over thousands of dead bodies themselves, in a way.  

#79 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:29 AM

Absolutely. However sailing technology has made the trip around a LOT safer. There's no technology, other than O2 tanks that you have to lug on your back, that's going to help you up. It's your legs and lungs. As Moonduster said, it's just a walk up...

#80 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:22 AM

Absolutely. However sailing technology has made the trip around a LOT safer. There's no technology, other than O2 tanks that you have to lug on your back, that's going to help you up. It's your legs and lungs. As Moonduster said, it's just a walk up...

Well that's not quite right. Just like in sailing, improvements in communications and particularly weather forecasting has had a huge impact on Everest. That is a big part of the traffic jam problem. All the guiding companies have access to this and now know exactly when and how long the window will be open for. Same with drugs. Diamox and Decadron are two drugs that help deal with attitude sickness and some estimates say that 90% of those attempting the summit are now using them. I agree that any comparisons between the S2H and climbing Everest are just plain stupid. The S2H might be someone's personal 'Everest' (We have a headland at the top of Moreton Bay we call 'the Day Skipper's Cape Horn') but anyone with zero sailing experience can splash the cash down, show up boxing day morning and be aboard a yacht that makes it to Hobart. You cannot just show up without any experience or preparation and climb Everest no matter how many Sherpa’s you hire. Unless you train for a least a year and spend weeks going up and down to acclimatize, then you WILL die. No question about it.

#81 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

So why bring it up? Whether she sailed the correct distance or not has been debated to death in many many threads over the years. Back peddle as hard as you like now, but it doesn't change the fact that you said she didn't sail the distance. Get back to us when you get back from your solo lap.

Because Jonathon Green specifically stated 'I recall there was a stink about Jessica Watson's track not exceeding 21,600 nm. Anyway, lots of missing data, and my apologies if anyone was left out but here's what we came up with. All corrections welcome.'

I was merely responding to that.

I am not back peddling, even her own website admits that she sailed less than 20,000 miles when she entered Australian waters. It is not in dispute that she did not meet WSSRC requirements, it is not my opinion just fact. My opinion is that her circumnavigation should be recognised in general (and it is) even if not by WSSRC.

I tried to take this out of this forum as it is not relevant to the topic, but your message box seems to be full.

As for not commenting until I have completed a solo lap, well surely that goes both ways. Imagine if only those who had done the Newport-Bermuda or climbed Everest could comment on this thread...it would be a lot shorter.

#82 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:Water and Mud

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

X2 JW should absolutely be on the list.

#83 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:Water and Mud

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

Also there is this guy....

Guo Chuan has succeeded in becoming the first Chinese sailor to circumnavigate the earth non-stop and singlehanded.

#84 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Thank you all for additions/deletions, keep them coming. I'll post this update but won't continue to bombard this thread with the list thereafter unless requested. Clean, the updated XLS is here.

SinglehandedNonstopCircumnavigators2.jpg

#85 Panoramix

Panoramix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

Thank you all for additions/deletions, keep them coming. I'll post this update but won't continue to bombard this thread with the list thereafter unless requested. Clean, the updated XLS is here.

SinglehandedNonstopCircumnavigators2.jpg

Bernard Moitessier is missing (1969). He abandonned the golden globe but that was to carry on further...

#86 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

He stopped at French Polynesia, and that is maybe not enough north to make the circle complete, though he sailed enough miles...

#87 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

I agree, our little ocean races are a lot easier than climbing a mountain.  That being said, most "club racers" don't do it in a 3 day weekend. But maybe a "longish" weekend has a different definition than what I'm used to? 3 days is an average of 8.8+ kts.

#88 Haji

Haji

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

What Clean said is so true; we are sailing over countless dead bodies out there.  Especially when going around the horn, etc.

During the 02/03 Around Alone, I had to stop at Port Stanley in the Falklands to repair the broken boom (2nd time I broke it).  One evening, some of the wonderful locals who were helping us took us to dinner (me and Erich Chase, our carbon repair guru who flew in on the once-a-week plane). 

On the wall in the restaurant was an old chart printed with notes and little diagrams's where hundreds of recorded lost ships were recorded.  On the Southwest side of the island (where much of the wind comes from) there were very few notes.  I brought up that this was odd, given that many ships would have been lost there on the lee shore.  Whereupon a knowledgable local pointed out that the SW side of the island was a lot of sheer cliffs, and so the ships lost there would have been dashed away without a trace.  Never recorded, just gone.

Made me quiet for a while.

B

#89 Haji

Haji

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

Anyhow, I think I might start saying I've done the Baintha Braak of Sailing.  Has a nice ring to it.

#90 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

The Ogre, aka Baintha Braak has seen three (3) successful ascents. 7 climbers total. Bonington, Scott, Huber, Stocker, Wolf, Kennedy, Dempster.

Latok remains unclimbed.
So what you're saying is that Latok is like the Everest of mountain climbing?

#91 Ho'Okele

Ho'Okele

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

That's a REALLY long queue...I don't know if I could hack it. They should hire some velvet rope guys from Vegas so if you show up with hot chicks, they let you through to the front!

Really?  A 635 mile jaunt that might take a longish weekend to complete is the same as the world's tallest mountain, located in the remote regions of Nepal? 

Could be an accurate description, here's the line up for Everest.

everest_002.jpg

#92 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:04 AM

Instead of the "Everest" of sailing, why not just settle on the "Apollo 13" of sailing and call it good.

#93 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

What Clean said is so true; we are sailing over countless dead bodies out there.  Especially when going around the horn, etc.

During the 02/03 Around Alone, I had to stop at Port Stanley in the Falklands to repair the broken boom (2nd time I broke it).  One evening, some of the wonderful locals who were helping us took us to dinner (me and Erich Chase, our carbon repair guru who flew in on the once-a-week plane). 

On the wall in the restaurant was an old chart printed with notes and little diagrams's where hundreds of recorded lost ships were recorded.  On the Southwest side of the island (where much of the wind comes from) there were very few notes.  I brought up that this was odd, given that many ships would have been lost there on the lee shore.  Whereupon a knowledgable local pointed out that the SW side of the island was a lot of sheer cliffs, and so the ships lost there would have been dashed away without a trace.  Never recorded, just gone.

Made me quiet for a while.

B

^^This.

Cape Horn is the Everest of sailing - especially when you're racing around it.

The Vendee sailors do it "without O2" (solo-non-stop) - the VOR sailors "with O2". But I think it's a very apt comparison.

The Newport-Bermuda? Please. Not even the vaunted Sydney-Hobart can make that claim. Those might be 5.11 sport climbs. They're not anywhere NEAR "Mount Everest Epic".

#94 MauiPunter

MauiPunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, soccer, and poker.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:25 AM

I sailed to the outer harbor.  Where's my medal.

#95 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

In your cornflakes packet !!!

#96 Nicolations

Nicolations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Reading history, riding my bike, hiking, coffee.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Maybe it should be compared to defeating the Nazis....

Still laughing. I'm gonna use that.

#97 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

Is Newport Bermuda is Everest then that makes the vendee globe going to the moon and back

#98 MSafiri

MSafiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

what is Everest of Sailing is a question of preception, right now my Everest is surviving this day in the office, tomorrow my Everest will be something else.

#99 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

what is Everest of Sailing is a question of preception, right now my Everest is surviving this day in the office, tomorrow my Everest will be something else.

You should see a shrink for that.  There are some great medications out there for anxiety, etc...

#100 MSafiri

MSafiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

Mr. Finn glad to hear ur days are full of sunshine and never a shit day in ur life,care to share the recepie?

we all have our personal Everest..and it is Everest cose the average human imagines everest=highest=hardest, this sounds better than K2 of Sailing or walkingtothesouthpoleandback of sailing, sounds heroic and they need to sell the race to those who are not into sailing that much.

Msafiri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users