125 replies to this topic

#101 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

It was a joke Safiri.  Your hyperbolic post is basically what this thread is about though.  

My recipe? Waking up thousands of miles away from Mt. Everest every morning.  Seems legit.

-R

#102 Nicolations

Nicolations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Reading history, riding my bike, hiking, coffee.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:16 AM

"We all have our el Guapo. You el Guapo just happens to be the real el Guapo."

Name it for the 3 night stay at the Palms, the new le Baron, matching Whirlpool washer and dryer, and a years supply of Siracha hot sauce...

#103 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:25 AM

Three Amigos? Total guess.

#104 MSafiri

MSafiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

It was a joke Safiri.  Your hyperbolic post is basically what this thread is about though.  

My recipe? Waking up thousands of miles away from Mt. Everest every morning.  Seems legit.

-R

Imagine; you been down on the boat, sailed all weekend (boat is 900 km, 4hrs train ride away) you get back and your colleague tells you that he managed to sell a boat which goes to Mars and back in no time, deadline is next week.....basically he sold the impossible, man, I had a shit day :)

Sailing and Climbing have plenty of common, whether you do it solo or in a team....climbing looks more accessible to the population though.....

#105 Nicolations

Nicolations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Watch the mail for your incredible prizes!

#106 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Watch the mail for your incredible prizes!

This is the happiest day of my life!  I conquered the Everest of guessing games!  Very excited indeed.  I should start playing Russian Roulette with my prowess for chance.  

Make sure the le Baron is a convertible with blown out rear suspension and "wood" paneling.  

#107 Nicolations

Nicolations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

You SIR are a classy guy!

#108 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Duh!

#109 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Now please send a check for $450 for administration fees for your prizes. This fee will be returned to you upon your arrival at the Palms....

#110 willsailforfood

willsailforfood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:PHRF? NOT!

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

The abuse of this comparison as a simple extension of the phenomena where every child gets a ribbon, or grade inflation at Harvard.  We have gotten so numb to empty praise intended to make everyone feel special that we have to come up with ever more inflated ways to puff up our fragile egos.  The Newport Bermuda or Sydney Hobart certainly is an accomplishment, particularly for a corinthian sailor who has never been more than 20 miles off shore.  Either race may even be one's personal mountain to climb.  But Everest?  Don't be silly.

Well put, I'm cranky with you.

#111 Nicolations

Nicolations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

Make sure the le Baron is a convertible with blown out rear suspension and "wood" paneling.  

I was at a festival yesterday. In line with several classic cars was a le Baron convertible, with faux "wood" paneling. Me without my camera.

It was, of course, the Everest of car shows!

#112 Flashbrah

Flashbrah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

That's funny OP because, I was browsing the Newport Bermuda site the other day and see a posted article by a skipper who did the race for the first time in 2012 and is sharing his thoughts for other people contemplating doing the race.  "How nice", I thought to myself.  Somebody who is generous with their experience and hopeful that others will get to have the same joy they got from ocean racing.

My good cheer lasted about five or six paragraphs, until in the middle of an explanation about safety he wrote "The Newport Bermuda Race is the best thing since sliced bread".

Really?  A 635 mile jaunt that might take a longish weekend to complete is the same as the world's greatest invention, located in the remote regions of your bread box?

Seriously OP, it's a figure of speech. But the similarities are closer than I'm sure you feeble mind can comprehend.

1. For a non sailor/climber to do either one, it's going to take about a year of prep. 

2. They both take a few days.

3. You can pay professionals to make the trip easier.

4. You can use both experiences to pull chicks at parties.

5. Both experiences cause the death of large numbers of braincells, Everest with temperatures, Bemuda/Hobart with copious amounts of rum.

6. Neither makes you a better person

#113 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:US East coast single & double handed distance racing

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

That's funny OP because, I was browsing the Newport Bermuda site the other day and see a posted article by a skipper who did the race for the first time in 2012 and is sharing his thoughts for other people contemplating doing the race.  "How nice", I thought to myself.  Somebody who is generous with their experience and hopeful that others will get to have the same joy they got from ocean racing.

My good cheer lasted about five or six paragraphs, until in the middle of an explanation about safety he wrote "The Newport Bermuda Race is the best thing since sliced bread".

Really?  A 635 mile jaunt that might take a longish weekend to complete is the same as the world's greatest invention, located in the remote regions of your bread box?

Seriously OP, it's a figure of speech. But the similarities are closer than I'm sure you feeble mind can comprehend.

1. For a non sailor/climber to do either one, it's going to take about a year of prep. 

5. Both experiences cause the death of large numbers of braincells, Everest with temperatures, Bemuda/Hobart with copious amounts of rum.

You're right, it's a figure of speech, one that says "this is the highest peak, you can't get any higher."

Reference to the Bermuda Race as some incredible challenge deters others from trying. This misconception is also forwarded by the organizing authority who insists on piling more and more egregious rules and regs on potential entrants, again giving the impression the race is incredibly dangerous and should only be attempted by those at the top of their game. People are so risk averse as to rule out a Bermuda race because someone said it was the "Everest of Sailing." We need to be encourage people to enter, not discourage them. The Bermuda Race is not the Everest of Sailing. It's a moderate endurance race followed by a fun party that, with the right planning, prep and budget, can be entered and finished by anyone.

Here are some entry stats. I suspect the trend is partially due to these misconceptions. An 18% drop in participation in 4 runnings is nothing to sneeze at.

NewportBermudaEntry.jpg

#114 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,181 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

"I'm sure you feeble mind can comprehend"... nice bit of irony there.

So it took you six months to come up with that rather tortured bit of bread box blather? Work a bit harder.

#115 Zander

Zander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

The Everest of sailing would look something like this:

It was once one of the hardest things in the sport, partially because you could not actually get there from the most favorable side. A bit like the early circumnavigators would have only been allowed to go around against the prevailing winds.

It is an event in which a few very dedicated diehard professionals try to find ways in which to make it more difficult, like they would try single handed in a 49-er.

While many of the professionals in the sport have given up on the event, there are now a large number of under-trained amateurs who want to do it. Some of those have adequate experience; many have only played with rubber ducks in bath tubs. To get these people to the finish-line, a large number of locals have to do course for the event in cheap inflatable rubber dinghies to put marker buoys in the water at every mile. (Their clients cannot be relied on to do their own navigation.) If a group of these local “course markers” dies there is some outcry, but on the whole the business is too profitable for their families to quit. At regular intervals along the course, the locals also make small artificial islands with restaurants catering to the needs of the “adventurers” (wine is served). Finally once all preparations are in place the “adventurers” set out (in fact their boats are fully crewed). Once every 10 years or so there is a big storm, incompetence of the “adventurers”, their egos and crowding on the racecourse means that some of them die (as well as the crews of their boats).

Most people only make it to the start to have a look. Many of these people either complain that getting there to watch is either too hard, or that the “authentic feel” of the experience has been taken away. Spectators tend to dress-up as if they are to compete in the event itself. They all talk very loud and in simple language to the staff attending them in hotels and restaurants. This is because they have not yet realized that the money they bring every year means that many of the “locals” they interact with have gone to university and speak a variety of languages.

At the end of the event, the airport is closed for a week due to bad weather and everyone is stranded. The town they are in runs out of beer and people pay over the odds for helicopters to take them home.

#116 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

So you are saying it is the Clipper Race?

#117 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,813 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

...'everest of sailing'.........get over it!  <_<

#118 MauiPunter

MauiPunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, soccer, and poker.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

I had the mount everest of movements this morning.

#119 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,813 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

...uh-oh 

...please. no.  :mellow:

#120 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,181 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

Pointy on one end, broad on the other and a difficult push to get to the finish?

#121 MauiPunter

MauiPunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, soccer, and poker.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

Pointy on one end, broad on the other and a difficult push to get to the finish?

That about sums it up.

#122 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

That about sums it up.

I have it on good authority that turds are pointed at both ends.

#123 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

imho, this is the volvo of mountains.  :P

IMG_2124_Everest.jpg

#124 Nicolations

Nicolations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:06 AM

Well engineered, safe and family friendly?

I wanna meet your family!

#125 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

and i have always been under the impression that cape horn (on the usual non-benevolent days) was the everest of sailing. :P

Thing is, everyone just goes around the Horn. No one stops to climb it. What are they afraid of?

#126 thinwater

thinwater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, climbing, kayaking

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

I climbed ice extensivly, both water falls and moderatly high altitudes. I sail off shore occationally, sometimes in smaller boats than I should have. Any comparison by a person who has not done both is plain silly (some posters have, most users of the comparison have not).

It's not that one is more dangerous (both have elements of danger that go beyond what you can control--avalanch or rougue wave), or that one requires more skill (both require enormous skill to do safely if there is no paid crew/guide). It is that they are very different undertakings. Climbing tends to be very demanding for relativly short time periods. Sailing through storm requires enormous sustained effort with no sure end point. Either can be undertaken by the unqualified... and it might work out for them.

Both have scared me about equally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users