Best Way to Learn?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Q-Douglas

Q-Douglas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:dinghy racing, daysailing, and restoration projects.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

Any advice out there for the best way to get into the sport? I've seen lessons advertised occasionally at random beach spots, but that's about it.

#2 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

1) Buy or borrow a trainer kite (2m or 3m) and spend a few hours playing with it on the hard

2) Take a lesson.  Or many lessons.

3) Find other people to go with

Lessons are generally expensive, but it's not really the kind of activity where you want to go just figure it out.  Lessons should be on the instructor's gear, which will give you the opportunity to try out the sport before dropping the money on your own gear.

#3 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

I googled "kiteboarding forum" and in a few seconds found sites in the US, UK and AUS each with tens of thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts.

#4 Q-Douglas

Q-Douglas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:dinghy racing, daysailing, and restoration projects.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

I googled "kiteboarding forum" and in a few seconds found sites in the US, UK and AUS each with tens of thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts.

but I would have to go through being told to fuck off again  :unsure:  or worse yet...not being told to fuck off at all.

Thanks for the info JMD. The initial cost has always scared me away from it.

#5 Maestro

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Extreme Sports

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:11 AM

Kiting isn't as safe to jump in to cold turkey like a sailboat, or windsurfing. The best way is to take a couple of lessons, learn the safety, and then fly high! This way you don't need any gear to start, so if you hate it, there's no investment

#6 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:27 AM

Kiting isn't as safe to jump in to cold turkey like a sailboat, or windsurfing. The best way is to take a couple of lessons, learn the safety, and then fly high! This way you don't need any gear to start, so if you hate it, there's no investment

+1
Taking lessons is important, they will also explain to you how the safety gear works.
It doesn't hurt to buy a training DVD either before taking lessons, good way to learn the theoretical stuff.
The best way is to go someplace windy for a week or so and take lessons there, you can quickly make a lot of progress that way.

#7 jsdeimel

jsdeimel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

+2 with taking lessons.  

also a cheap kite off ebay isn't going to be the safest kite to learn on

#8 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

If you are in the NY area there is a place out in Amityville LI, right next to the dinghy shop that does an excellent job of getting people up to speed.  http://nykitecenter.com

Besides nice grass fields nearby to learn how to fly, there sailing area is in shallow protected marsh lands.  One nice feature they employ is have jet skis to take you out to the sailing area and also as you learn they can bring you back up wind.

#9 NaptownChick

NaptownChick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

Any advice out there for the best way to get into the sport? I've seen lessons advertised occasionally at random beach spots, but that's about it.

I am planning on going to OBX this spring to take a multiday lesson, I bought a trainer kite on Amazon, and have had it out a few times, but the weather lately hasn't been too conducive for me to stand on a windy field for hours at a time. 

There is also a Maryland/NoVa kiteboarders forum thats full of helpful people at eastkb.com too. 

#10 toe72

toe72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

My path;

1. Hours with a trainer in various conditions, trying to be precise/take lessons

2. Start on snow with skis (if possible) - less effort recovering/take lessons

3. Go south or someplace warm and take lessons...you'll get it going easily from there...up first day on board in water

In windsurfing, your problems are over when you fall. In kiteboarding, your problems have just begun when you fall...

Take the safety stuff seriously, easy to hurt yourself doing kooky newbie things.

#11 bobber

bobber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

All of the above, particularly lessons from a competent instructor - kiteboading can kill ya. The best investment I made was a one hour lesson at a wakeboard cable park to learn how to get up on a board and control it. I came from a windsurfing background where keeping the board flat and riding the fin is key. That does NOT work on a twin tip kiteboard. It is a great sport  and a good complement to sailing and windsurfing.

#12 MicroTom

MicroTom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Its all good........

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Any recommendations on a central Florida instructor for a noob?

#13 hobie17li

hobie17li

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

I have the trainer kite, actually only two lines..

#4. go with somebody with a zodiac to pick you up downwind

looks like fun 

#14 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

I got a short lesson on the safety features and how a kite reacts to input. Then I have just spent many hours on a frozen lake with skis, and by many I mean days and days. Basically I'm completely comfortable with a kite on skis, to the point of bring able to basically drive the kite blindfolded. I found it easy to learn on the ice as if something happened (twist something, break something, get over/under-powered, whatever) I could always put the kite down, walk up to it, pack it up and carry it back rather than dragging around.

Then I got to playing on water. I haven't spent much time on the water, but having complete confidence in my kite-driving skills made it pretty easy to get going as I only had to think about the board. Key thing to practice in the water first was a bit of body dragging, getting the feeling of using the kite to move you slowly without a board. And finding a place with water not much deeper than your waist makes recovering from falling off the board a lot easier.

#15 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

but I would have to go through being told to fuck off again  :unsure:  or worse yet...not being told to fuck off at all.

Thanks for the info JMD. The initial cost has always scared me away from it.

The initial cost really isn't too bad for gear.  You should be able to pick up a gently used set (kite, bar, harness, board) of gear for $1,000-$1,500 on craigslist if there is kiteboarding in your area.  New can be more like $2,000-$2,500.

Anything cheaper than that and you will spend so much time and money working on the bladders that it will eclipse any up front savings.  I spent something like $700 for my first set of gear and there is nothing more frustrating than spending a blue bird day sitting on the beach because you can't figure out why the leading edge won't hold air.

When you go to buy a kite, err on the side of big for your first one.  When you're starting out, you probably won't be going out in 25 knots, and you won't have the skills to really work apparent wind on the kite, so it's nice to have the grunt of a 13 m or 14 m to pop you out of the water and onto a plane.

#16 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Any recommendations on a central Florida instructor for a noob?

Good people, but a couple hours away from you:

http://cloudninekite...g.com/home.html

#17 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:14 AM

*cough* buy an ad *cough*

#18 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,339 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

The initial cost really isn't too bad for gear.  You should be able to pick up a gently used set (kite, bar, harness, board) of gear for $1,000-$1,500 on craigslist if there is kiteboarding in your area.  New can be more like $2,000-$2,500.

.....I found  the 'full-immersion' route to work well.......go to a kiteboard mecca (with cash in pocket),for a 3-4 week visit---enough to gain a solid core of skills,,,

,,get word-of-mouth on the beach as to who's the best approach -to your needs-  on lessons---some have jetski/radio's,,,some have a more casual approach,,,,but it's great to get going on someone else's gear ;)

..in the meantime,learn about what gear's for sale in the area,,and learn what's hot,,what's not from the wind-tribe in the area....and most importantly,,try-out what's available as you gain some skills

......I ended up with a 3kite,1board Cabrihna set-up for ~$1G(late season)

....Trainer Kite's are helpful for the -very- basics of safety and maneuvering,,,

,,,but the -real- lessons start when you're handling a -LOT- of power :blink: :mellow: ...and have a powerable kite with 4-line controls,,,

...a BIG lesson I can share(from some hard-knocks),,,is to start visualizing the -opposite- of natural clutch-response when  you get overpowered........ie let power-bar OUTWARDS to de-power......it may seem thilly,,but it's worth going through the mental exercise 1000 times before doing much else ;)

#19 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

...a BIG lesson I can share(from some hard-knocks),,,is to start visualizing the -opposite- of natural clutch-response when  you get overpowered........ie let power-bar OUTWARDS to de-power......it may seem thilly,,but it's worth going through the mental exercise 1000 times before doing much else ;)

This I find a much easier instinct to get a hold on for people who have sailed, particularily in small high-performance oriented boats compared to somebody who's on their first time with a kite (I have taught a number of friends, from sailing buddies to school and work mates, but my sample is probably still small compared to a professional instructor).

#20 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,339 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

This I find a much easier instinct to get a hold on for people who have sailed, particularily in small high-performance oriented boats compared to somebody who's on their first time with a kite (I have taught a number of friends, from sailing buddies to school and work mates, but my sample is probably still small compared to a professional instructor).

....certainly comes under the -survival instinct- category!

...unless you find it 'fun' t'rip the tether-mount right out of the board as you depart th'planet :unsure:  :mellow: 

#21 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

*cough* buy an ad *cough*

Who are you talking to?

#22 Wielicki420

Wielicki420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, wakeskating, kiteboarding, surfing, and enjoying an ice cold beer at the end of a session.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

JMD. Reht directed that comment towards me. I posted some insight about getting into kiting, as well as some gear that I was selling without realizing that the site had a classified section.

#23 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

I learnt on my own but did have a 1 day course where I learnt a lot. Things like setting up the kite and lines and then relaunching the kite from the water after a crash, these were of great help.

I would have carried on with the course but ran out of time and had to return home. I bought a used 7.5mtr size LEI Kite with new bar/line set.

I didn't have a harness, but utilised a dinghy trapeze harness (actually the most comfy thing I ever used, looking at adapting one to take a kite style hook) I borrowed a board and attempted to learn:) 

The biggest thing was self launching and landing, DONT do this as a learner..if you got assistance then use it. I never had a problem as such, it was out of sheer need that I sussed out the self launch thing. Getting assistance is next to impossible where I live, small population means limited interest in such things as kiting.

I spent a long time trying to get up and riding, many many hours in fact. One day I got it though! got that initial burst of power for a few metres. I was so pleased:)  I learnt to ride very quickly after that, the basics came very easily. I am a dinghy sailor as well, so watching the wind and knowing apparent wind was a huge plus in my favour.

Its best to get instruction, my first kite was a bit small for my weight but I wanted this so as not to get into too much trouble. I wanted to learn to body drag and self launch/land and do packdowns. All basic stuff that no one should neglect to learn.

Its a great activity, so pleased I got into it. I wanted something for when the wind is too much for sailing, and now I got it. I got 2 years under my belt since learning. Currently teaching another guy who I sold some gear to a few weeks ago. He realises just how important tuition is.

Schools are the ideal, using their gear and getting good solid instruction.  You can learn with a patient kite surfing friend too, but keep an open mind on any suspect practices and don't try to kite in conditions that are too rough. Things can go wrong very quickly, and always take time to look over your gear for signs of wear and tear.

Sorry to blather on! I think its a great thing to learn, sure its expensive if you buy all new stuff, but it lasts a long time if you take care of it.  I kite so much that my poor old RS700 Skiff hardly ever gets used now:)

#24 someoldsalt

someoldsalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

QD - you're in Naptown-get in your car and go to the outerbanks, not that far-do one of these coupla days courses at Real Kiteboarding and you will be set - not cheap but worth it imho

#25 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,339 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

do one of these coupla days courses at Real Kiteboarding and you will be set - not cheap but worth it imho

......the term 'paradox of thrift' comes into play here,,,,you can sometimes find an 'independent operator' to learn from...

,,,maybe doesn't use a jetski,,maybe no vhf for instant feedback,,but by the time they're just shouting from shore or as they speed by,,,you're definitely wasting any $ you spend,,,and taking much longer on a period that can be painful and hazardous :mellow:

...best to bite the bullet on this one!

#26 samwise-cabr

samwise-cabr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Laser and J24 sailing. Kiteboarding. Foiling..The Usual

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Anyone have any good recommendations on a good learning video? Free or paid. I am a gearhead, but that doesn't do me any good if I lack the concept of working the kite properly...

#27 teknologika

teknologika

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

The progression DVD's are OK. They are a little bit out of date now, and shows some techniques that I would never adopt, such as their self launch and self landing techniques.

Personally I purchased the kiteboared magazine on the ipad and it has a good beginner guide that includes videos, but as everyone keeps saying, you can't beat lessons with an instructor.

#28 samwise-cabr

samwise-cabr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Laser and J24 sailing. Kiteboarding. Foiling..The Usual

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

I eventually plan on taking classes with an instructor once the water in Texas starts to actually warm up. Until then I want to get a good grasp of the concepts so I understand what they are talking about at the lesson. I'll look at the kiteboard magazine beginners guide. Thanks!

The progression DVD's are OK. They are a little bit out of date now, and shows some techniques that I would never adopt, such as their self launch and self landing techniques.

Personally I purchased the kiteboared magazine on the ipad and it has a good beginner guide that includes videos, but as everyone keeps saying, you can't beat lessons with an instructor.

#29 Mossy757

Mossy757

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Kites
    Surfing
    Dogs
    Anarchy

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

Kittyhawk Kites in OBX has a good trainer video that includes a section using practice kites, set me up for some early successes during my first lesson (jet ski assisted). Would agree that a multi-day lesson flattens the learning curve significantly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users