#1 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Multihulls

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:09 AM

The Marstrom M32 Gold Cup starts tomorrow in Miami.

Attached File  m32miami-7.jpg   104.95K   45 downloads

Photo Credit - Peter Gustafsson 

We've been practicing all week and today had organized practice races and practice starts with the fleet.  I am pleased to say that we did not suck today on the practice course.

Here's what our course looks like:

Attached File  M32 Gold Cup Course.jpg   39.95K   53 downloads

We we're first, second, or third out of seven to the reach mark in 5 of the 6 practice starts.  That's a huge improvement for us over the last two events.  Credit to Ian Andrewes for calling great starts and credit to the whole crew for finding the boat speed we need to hold our lane.  I think we're going to be competitive tomorrow.

The event schedule and notice board is here:

http://m32cup.com/gold-cup/

I will try to post some gopro video of today's practice later tonight.

#2 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:16 AM

Here's the press release:

Showdown in Miami for fast growing M32 class

M32 Gold Cup is the first ”unofficial World Championship” where 4 US boats and 4 European boats will see four days of intense racing on Biscayne Bay in Miami.

After trying the format during the M32 Winter Series in january, now it’s for real. Today all of the teams took part in two practice races in 4-5 knots of patchy and shifty winds. It became apparent that this won’t be easy for the early favorites. Wallén Racing won both races after mastering the conditions better than the other teams. If winning the tune-up is a bad omen or not, we’ll see in the next four days.

What’s the big deal

M32 attracts some of the best sailors from different parts of the sport. Olympic champions, Volvo Ocean Race winners and America’s Cup sailors battle it out in boat that they love to sail. It’s also a great stepping stone for young sailors who want to move on to Extreme Sailing Series and America’s Cup.

Fredrik Lööf, Olympic Champion: This is the most exciting boat ever.

Ken Read, CEO North Sails and VOR skipper: After playing around on a M32 catamaran in Sweden last year I found my next boat.

With active fleets on two continents, fifteen boats sailing and seven more in build – M32 is the only established multihull class in this size. And it’s growing rapidly.

Who’s racing

This weekend the three favorites are from Sweden: Fredrik Lööf (Star Class Olympic Champion and three time olympic medallist), Mattias Rahm (match-racing star and America’s Cup strategist) and Hans Wallén (Olympic Silver Medalist and 8 times World Champion) all have a full season in the class and are steadily improving.

Rahm won M32 Cup in Scandinavia 2013 as well as the warm-up race in Miami in November with very consistent sailing. The others are just points behind.

The US teams doesn’t have as much time in the boat, especially in close racing, but they have have the speed to give the Swedes a match. Consistent starts and tactics for the first reach leg will be critical if they want to be in the game.

Media

Daily reports, photos and short video segments will be available. Wan’t to get out to follow the racing, looking for an interview with the teams or have other questions: peter@m32cup.com or +46 733 304000.

Results will be available here.

Schedule

February 28th – Friday
10:00 Skippers meeting
12:00-16:00 Racing (typically 6-8 races)
16:00-18:00 Welcome party

March 1st – Saturday
12:00-16:00 Racing
16:00-18:00 After Sail
19:30 M32 get together

March 2nd – Sunday
11:00-11:30 Drag Race for Charity
12:00-16:00 Racing
16:00-18:00 After Sail

March 3rd – Monday
09:00 Skippers meeting
11:00-15:00 Racing
16:00 Prize Giving

Crew lists

Team Rahm (SWE)
Mattias Rahm
Johan Barne
Mikkel Rössberg
Fredrik Aurell

Team Lööf (SWE)
Fredrik Lööf
Martin Krite
Daniel Wallberg
Andreas Axelsson

WAR – Wallén racing (SWE)
Hans Wallén
Jonas von Geijer
Anders Dahlsjö
Tomas Persson
Philip Carlsson

Sail Racing (SWE)
Klabbe Nylöf
Jonte Häggbom
Jonathan Ameln
Tom Gross

Liftoff (USA)
Malcolm Gefter
Lars Guck
Jonathan Farrrar
Dave Douchett
Katherine Gefter

Ultimate Pressure (USA)
Peter Denton
Jerry Kirby
Luke Lawrence
TBD

Gradient V (USA)
Randy Miller
Ian Andrewes
Alex Van Brunt
Colin Dunphy
Daniel Roberts

#3 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:38 AM

A few pics from today:

Attached File  1956906_694605887258506_866887877_o.jpg   102.48K   32 downloads

Attached File  1891463_694605917258503_1323504554_o.jpg   123.98K   41 downloads

Attached File  1618122_694605960591832_779868669_o.jpg   91.56K   32 downloads

Pics are from: https://www.facebook.com/m32cup

I'm stoked about this event, so don't read these posts if shameless plugging of the event is going to bother you.

Wind was very light and fluky today, mostly 5-7 kts.  Made for challenging conditions.  Top speed today was 18kts.

Yesterday we were practicing in 15-20 kts.  Very gusty.  All boats were reefed and we were sailing in a mildly nasty sea state.  We hit 26kts vmg running and decided to throttle back a little bit since it was just practice and we're still getting used to sailing together.  Liftoff (USA-2) managed to capsize!  Fortunately, they had a coach boat right there to pull the boat back upright.  Nobody was hurt, no damage to the boat.  They hopped back on and sailed back to the beach with a good story to tell.  We got chased back to the beach by an angry thunderstorm.

#4 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

#5 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Interests:Forward of the mast.
    Moore 5oh

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Cool stuff....keep er comin

#6 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

how does the reaching start work out?

does it cause the start to be an even more important factor in the outcome of the race than it is with an upwind start?

#7 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:02 AM

does it cause the start to be an even more important factor in the outcome of the race than it is with an upwind start?

The only class racing I've done in the M32 is with the reaching start.  If you don't get to the reach mark in a good position you are pretty well toast.  Our races are about 20min long and the first leg is maybe 45s.  The start is crucial.

As for whether it's more important than an upwind start, I don't know as this is the only one-design catamaran racing I've done and it's all been reaching starts.  

I will say that it's definitely intense as you are full blast at the edge of control (if there is any wind) right out of the gate. 

#8 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

Results from today:

M32 Gold Cup Results : Miami Gold Cup

Team Name Skipper R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 R8 Pts  

Wallén Racing Hans Wallén 1 1 2 1 2 2     9  

Lift Off Malcolm Gefter 6 5 6 6 3 5     31  

Gradient Vee Randy Miller 5 6 7 7 5 3     33  

Rahm Racing Mattias Rahm 2 2 1 4 6 1     16  

Ultimate Pressure Peter Denton 7 4 3 3 7 4     28  

Lööf Racing Fredrik Lööf 3 3 4 5 1 7     23  

Sail Racing Klabbe Nylöf 4 7 5 2 4 6     28  

Sadly, two DFLs for us.  But, managed a third in the last race of the day so something to build on for tomorrow.  Basically our starts today were not nearly as good as yesterday's practice starts and our angles got all screwed up from time to time such that we were sailing all over the bay.  I think some of this was nerves.  

Today we really struggled most of the day going upwind and being able to balance steering, weight shifting of a 5 man crew, and mainsheet, mast rotation, cunningham, and traveler.  Yesterday we were smoother, but today we were constantly over correcting or under correcting and consequently flying the hull way out of the water in a gust, crashing it down into the water in a lull, and then footing way off to try to build speed back up.  We needed to settle down, but just had trouble making that happen.  Our top three items to focus on going forward are:

1. Starts

2. Crew coordination upwind to improve upwind vmg

3. Laylines

Not a lot of wind today in most of the races.  More breeze expected tomorrow.

M32Cup is putting on a first class event.  Great food, drinks, music, race committee, on-the-water umpire, etc...  Still having a blast and only 5 points out of 4th.

#9 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

The only class racing I've done in the M32 is with the reaching start.  If you don't get to the reach mark in a good position you are pretty well toast.  Our races are about 20min long and the first leg is maybe 45s.  The start is crucial.

As for whether it's more important than an upwind start, I don't know as this is the only one-design catamaran racing I've done and it's all been reaching starts.  

I will say that it's definitely intense as you are full blast at the edge of control (if there is any wind) right out of the gate. 

even with a "normal" start, the start is hugely important - i'm not sure i think it's a good idea to make it even more important.

at some point.., you might as well just end the race at the first mark...

#10 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

even with a "normal" start, the start is hugely important - i'm not sure i think it's a good idea to make it even more important.

You may very well be right.  But it is fun.  It adds an extra dimension that you don't have in a pure windward leeward race.

#11 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:32 AM

Here's the one start that we got absolutely right today.  Felt pretty good leading the fleet.  We ultimately fell back to third in this race.  We got passed by an olympic medalist and an america's cup skipper.  I'm okay with that.  I'd like more of this tomorrow:

#12 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:41 AM

Here's the one start that we got absolutely right today.  Felt pretty good leading the fleet.  We ultimately fell back to third in this race.  We got passed by an olympic medalist and an america's cup skipper.  I'm okay with that.  I'd like more of this tomorrow:

Randy,

Looks like WAY too much fun!!! :-P

Besides Ian, who do you have for crew?

-MH

#13 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:47 AM

it does look great!

#14 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:01 AM

Randy,

Looks like WAY too much fun!!! :-P

Besides Ian, who do you have for crew?

-MH

Ian Andrewes

Daniel Roberts

Alex Van Brunt

Colin Dunphy

#15 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:01 AM

Thanks for keeping us posted Randy!

#16 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

M32Cup is putting on a first class event.  Great food, drinks, music, race committee, on-the-water umpire, etc...  Still having a blast and only 5 points out of 4th.

Thx Randy! We do what we can :D  

It's a great bunch of sailors, so we just have to add that extra touch.

Photos from today added to http://www.flickr.co...1682559934/show

#17 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:33 AM

Thx Randy! We do what we can :D  

It's a great bunch of sailors, so we just have to add that extra touch.

Photos from today added to http://www.flickr.co...1682559934/show

Great photos! Looking forward to the video.

#18 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

Attached File  1278952_695062427212852_1265825544_o.jpg   109.95K   25 downloads

Attached File  1966114_695062507212844_1060280586_o.jpg   140.92K   23 downloads

#19 chippin' away

chippin' away

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

Gawd those boats look Burly. 

#20 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:30 AM

Gawd those boats look Burly. 

They are beasts when the wind blows.  Mainsheet and traveler loads are high.  We use at least two guys on the mainsheet upwind.  It is a boat that requires an athletic crew.

#21 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:45 AM

Today we had breeze and sailed well.  We moved up from 7th to 4th in the standings.

Attached File  M32 Gold Cup Standings after Day 2.jpg   102.02K   22 downloads

I'm stoked to be in the mix and the leading american boaat.

Video and pics probably tomorrow.

#22 Sail_FAU

Sail_FAU

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Great updates Randy! Keep up the forward progression!

#23 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

Great updates Randy! Keep up the forward progression!

Thanks! Check out the videos below.  We did not suck.

#24 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

Wallen Racing has been almost untouchable this regatta.  Nothing but bullets and a couple 2nds.  The one race he got hung up on the pin at the start he lucked out and got a general recall.

Wallwn, Loof, and Rahm are also clearly in a class of their own with a big gap between Loof in 3rd and us in 4th.  It will be very tough to get into the top three unless Loof T-bones Wallen (could happen, he's one aggressive mofo).  Otherwise, we're going to keep doing what were doing and I would love to pull out a bullet in at least one race.  This is a big change from our original objective of "don't be last, and don't break anything."

I do need to work on maintaining a steady and low to the water ride height of the windward hull.  This requires fairly drastic corrections at times with the kite up and gets interesting when in close quarters with other boats.  Yesterday during one race we had overstood the leeward gate by a bit and were fully lit up coming in on our then layline.  We had Ultimate Pressure pinned above us without them able to bear off in the puffs.  I thought they were going to drop thier rig directly on our boat.  Fun times!

#25 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

Well done, Randy!

3A6Y5jh.jpg

Other boats don't have that red line at the end of boom.

What's that?

#26 F18 VB

F18 VB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:04 AM

What's that?

It is a bungee that keeps the tiller extension on the leeward side from flying off the back. It is the same system that some skiffs use.

Other boats clip the leeward extension into the tiller crossbar similar to the AC/45's. 

#27 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:32 AM

What's that?

It is a bungee that keeps the tiller extension on the leeward side from flying off the back. It is the same system that some skiffs use.

Other boats clip the leeward extension into the tiller crossbar similar to the AC/45's. 

Yup.

#28 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

The M32 Gold Cup Miami is over.  Wallen Racing kicked ass.  A big congratulations to them on their dominating performance.  We got a solid 4th in the regatta with only Olympic medalist and fully pro boats on the podium this time.  We even managed a couple 2nd place finishes.  Here are the final results:

Team Name Skipper   Pts day 1-3 R18 R19 R20 R21 R22 Tot Pts Pts net  

1 Wallén Racing Hans Wallén SWE 28 dnf 1 1 1 1 40 32  

2 Lööf Racing Fredrik Lööf SWE 51 1 4 2 2 2 62 55  

3 Rahm Racing Mattias Rahm SWE 46 3 3 3 5 4 64 58  

4 Gradient Vee Randy Miller USA 78 2 5 5 3 6 99 92  

5 Ultimate Pressure Peter Denton USA 86 6 2 4 6 5 109 101  

6 Sail Racing Klabbe Nylöf SWE 90 5 6 6 dnf dns 123 115  

7 Lift Off Malcolm Gefter USA 98 4 7 7 4 3 123 116

http://m32cup.com/gold-cup-results/

#29 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

You may very well be right.  But it is fun.  It adds an extra dimension that you don't have in a pure windward leeward race.

Yesterday we did a few races on the traditional windward-leeward course.  For me the verdict is now in and I prefer the reaching start.  I like the instant acceleration and adrenaline pumping during a reaching start.  I like that we're all together in a fleet fully lit and all within feet of each other and this is how the fleet rounds the reach mark essentially together.

I can't say whether the upwind start provided more passing opportunities or chances to recover from a blown start but it did not actually feel this way.

Finally, the reaching start and finish really is a fun and intense extra dimension to a race that I thought was noticeably missing when we did the traditional windward-leeward course.  These reaching legs are all about extremely active trimming of highly loaded mainsail controls.  The harder and more actively you work the sail trim on the reach, the faster you go.  Steering up or down does not effectively at these anglesl.  We call it "Beast Mode."

#30 mundt

mundt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

great job, congrats!

#31 bobber

bobber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

#32 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Thanks!

#33 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

For those interested, there are some photos from the event here.

"Official report" here and a short video from our charity race Sunday:

#34 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Here's Race 12, our best performance of the regatta. Won the start, led all the way around the track and then one bad tack let Rahm Racing get close and then they got by us on the final reach to the finish. Next time they won't get past.

After a quick detour to Disney World it's back to SF today and back to the office so I can keep supporting this habit.

#35 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

In related news, there are are 7 new M32s currently in build! After 7 boats and 20+ races in varied conditions plus a heavy air practice day, there were no significant gear problems. I think we've made a lot of progress up the learning curve. So more M32 one-design racing ahead.

And, at least a couple boats are coming out for the Delta Ditch Run and I'm working on getting a fleet over for Rolex Big Boat Series.

Miami was awesome, an M32 fleet for RBBS would be epic!

#36 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

And, at least a couple boats are coming out for the Delta Ditch Run and I'm working on getting a fleet over for Rolex Big Boat Series.

Hi Randy,

Awesome news!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Cheers!!!

-MH

#37 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

In related news, there are are 7 new M32s currently in build! After 7 boats and 20+ races in varied conditions plus a heavy air practice day, there were no significant gear problems. I think we've made a lot of progress up the learning curve. So more M32 one-design racing ahead.

Has the mast-breaking issue been sorted?

#38 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

Has the mast-breaking issue been sorted?

I think so. The big issue for us was we weren't provided with any loading parameters when I bought the boat.  We didn't have max/min diamond tension settings and I didn't know that we couldn't dump the traveler with the gennaker powered up.  Some mast failures, including ours have occurred with insufficient diamond tension.  Another failure occurred when a sail built with too small a bolt rope literally jumped out of the luff track.  At this point all of this critical information has circulated around the fleet and we know much better what we can and can't do with the rigs.  I also know that the new owner is contemplating specifying a beefier section for new rigs.

In the last Miami event we had 7 boats that sailed 22 races plus several practice races and training days including a couple heavy wind days and had no issues.  I'm not saying that's a long record, but it is going in the right direction.

#39 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Here's the wrap up from Miami. Thx to everyone.

#40 EarthBM

EarthBM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:33 AM

Just curious, why do you need 4 crew to race these things?

#41 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:43 AM

To hold it down!   Some teams race with 5.

#42 F18 VB

F18 VB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

It can be done with two people. But, it is a very powered up boat.

It is also VERY physically demanding. It takes two big dudes to just trim the mainsheet when sailing in a straight line in order to keep the windward hull just above the water. You need to pull big heavy boards up and down on each tack and gybe. Mark roundings are fairly complex.

An example of rounding the leeward gate:

1 person drives the boat and acts as tactition

1 person blows the spinnaker sheet off the winch

1 person furls the spinnaker and then pulls in the cunningham and mast rotation

1 person runs the mainsheet and gets help from the person that blew the spinnaker sheet of the winch

1 person runs the main traveler

The last two are important and require a lot of man power because the apparent wind moves back fast when the spinnaker drops and the heeling moment goes up while rounding the mark. So, the main needs to go out compared to the downwind setting before completing the round up. Then the main and traveler need to be in tighter compared to going downwind.

See time 4:15 in post #34 for an example of how much work there is to do on a maneuver. It wasn't even windy enough to have to adjust the mainsail trim. BTW The sixth man in the blue helmet is a "guest racer".

#43 EarthBM

EarthBM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

Yep, makes sense, thanks!

#44 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

Solosailor and F18VB are right on.  But... double-handing is possible and no big deal in a light breeze.

It's not the quickest way around the racecourse in general, but in 5-6kts of breeze it is fast and it's a great feeling being totally powered up in glassy water and a light breeze.  Things do tend to get interesting quickly when the breeze come up.

#45 sailher

sailher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Awesome boats.  I bought tickets for the wife and I to race as guests on one of the points races.  It was a bit light but still hit 16+ off the wind.  If you can get on one of these, do it!

Oh, and we are in the video as well. cool I guess.

#46 EarthBM

EarthBM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:05 AM

Just need to get 3-4 of them in So Cal to get the ball rolling

#47 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

I think there are several components that are cool with this class.

First of all is's a pretty sweet ride. Not cutting-edge-foiling-just-for-pros but a good mix of light air speed (to get up on one hull and blast away in a dying 4 knot breeze is pretty cool) and a beast in a blow. The #1 priority is that it's fun.

But we all know that it's takes more to build a class, and it's here were we might differ. Even if we think Stars or Etchells are boring boats, there's still some lessons to be learned on how to build a class that attracts the best sailors as well as owners and younger sailors who want to get into a bigger multihull.

The third component, and the one that I'm working on (disclaimer - I'm running the M32 Cup) is to establish a format and circuit that provide lot's of opportunities for one-design racing. It can be the M32 Cup, that we're running in Scandinavia for its 2nd year, or a similar Cup in the US. Or the winter series and Gold Cup in Miami, Or a raid through the Swedish archipelago in chartered boats... With several fleets, critical mass and an active community we can do lot's of cool stuff.

I can see 3-4 fleets happening in the US in the next few years. We'll do whatever we can to support that.

The key is cost control, with focus on regional fleets and smart logistics. For a serious campaign the budget is about 20% of Extreme 40. So mor fun for a fraction of the price. Naturally more expensive than F18 or Nacra, but possible for a serious young team or ambitious owner.

We'll see. 

Ley me know if there's any questions.

#48 lemminjuice

lemminjuice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

It can be done with two people. But, it is a very powered up boat.

It is also VERY physically demanding. It takes two big dudes to just trim the mainsheet when sailing in a straight line in order to keep the windward hull just above the water. You need to pull big heavy boards up and down on each tack and gybe. Mark roundings are fairly complex.

An example of rounding the leeward gate:

1 person drives the boat and acts as tactition

1 person blows the spinnaker sheet off the winch

1 person furls the spinnaker and then pulls in the cunningham and mast rotation

1 person runs the mainsheet and gets help from the person that blew the spinnaker sheet of the winch

1 person runs the main traveler

The last two are important and require a lot of man power because the apparent wind moves back fast when the spinnaker drops and the heeling moment goes up while rounding the mark. So, the main needs to go out compared to the downwind setting before completing the round up. Then the main and traveler need to be in tighter compared to going downwind.

See time 4:15 in post #34 for an example of how much work there is to do on a maneuver. It wasn't even windy enough to have to adjust the mainsail trim. BTW The sixth man in the blue helmet is a "guest racer".

Compared to any other 30 foot plus racing multihulls I have sailed, the loads on the Marstrom are small. The boards are super light, can be raised and lowered with one hand. Some of the Marstrom's have multiple ratchets on the mainsheet which makes it much more manageable to trim the main with one person. 

#49 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Loads aren't too bad. Especially for the driver...

The mainsheet and traveller do take a bit of effort with no winches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users