#402 Ron D

Ron D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy Sailing

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:51 PM

ok ,we will set now the difference between a boat for people who want to sail fast and enjoy  (d zero) and a school boat for beginners or people that has no idea about what a boat is

(rs aero) : looks even worst than the laser, the rig is simply disgusting with this boom looking to the air,the hiking position is perfect to get a knee injure in a few hours and the promotional videos are horrible.

now take a look at this videos and you can think what you want, and for sure you will buy the rs aero number 701........

Forgive me - newbie question.  In the second video, is he sitting too far back?  On the downwind runs, it appears that a third of his boat is in the air.  Even though he's on a plane, isn't the stern going to still dig and create drag? Ideally, shouldn't the nose just clear the waves to avoid plowing.  Honest question.

#403 bill4

bill4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, golf, hockey, dark rum

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:59 PM

Hmmmm. VX Evo is only embryonic at this stage. Plus it's a 16 footer with a kite and perhaps, gasp, a chunk of lead under the water. I don't really think it is in the conversation with the 3 others. The comparable incumbent, ie the Laser, should be in the mix. Many would like to consider it the Greatful Dead, but that's probably a bit cheeky and besides, it's Canadian. Bryan Adams is still touring...

#404 Stachel

Stachel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:36 PM

Hmmmm. VX Evo is only embryonic at this stage. Plus it's a 16 footer with a kite and perhaps, gasp, a chunk of lead under the water. I don't really think it is in the conversation with the 3 others. 

That's what I said! 

The Evo is a year away, if it hatches. The Melges seems to be in the "quiet stage", although I heard some positions were sold at the Chicago boat show.

The Evo will be a trainer/compliment for the VX One. It's targeted at middle aged sailors with a little less athleticism and a little more cash to spend.

The others are competing with each other fer sure. A full blown rock and roll battle, while Elvis smirks in the corner and ends up running off with all of the band members hot wimmin.

Don't you think there is a comfort element in the three "new" dingy's that is meant to appeal to today's heavier humans?

#405 bill4

bill4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:56 AM

Sort of. Except every boat these days seems to come with multiple rigs. At the risk of telling a "back in the day" story, I started sailing a Laser when I was a 150 lb teenager, well before Radials. When it was light, I was fast, when it was blowing I had to work my ass off to compete. Made me a better sailor. When the Radial showed up, it was for girls. Then it ended up cutting the fleet in half. Philosophically, I don't like the multiple rigs.

#406 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,691 posts
  • Interests:Dinghies, especially box rule classes.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

Ideally, shouldn't the nose just clear the waves to avoid plowing. 

Completely dependant on hull shape. A low rocker hull will dig the stern in with the bow much lower than a more rockered hull. But as often as not the limiting factor is going down the mine, not speed.

#407 ladymarmalade

ladymarmalade

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Sailing - Rugby and generally being a kiwi

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

Talking to the designer of the aero there is a change of philosophy over the rigs...the rigs are seen as reefs rather than separate classes as with the laser.
Your handicap is determined by the largest rig you use in a regatta. So use a 9 at any stage your overall place will be scored as if you used a 9 all the time, you won't have to re enter as a separate entry. Switching full to radial laser would mean you get two places with a load of dns.
The idea is to get people sailing whatever the wind strength.. Most aero buyers in the UK have bought 2 or more sizes
I am not sure what the zero association plans to do.

Ideally, shouldn't the nose just clear the waves to avoid plowing. 

Completely dependant on hull shape. A low rocker hull will dig the stern in with the bow much lower than a more rockered hull. But as often as not the limiting factor is going down the mine, not speed.
The aero simply goes faster with weight back as soon as she gets on the plane..perhaps something to do with the lipped transom, perhaps something to do with the forward take of the mast that happens off wind, (the top of the mast step is oval allowing fake aft upwind and rake forward downwind.)

#408 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,691 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:40 AM

If that's really the case I'd love to know how they expect the RYA to achieve a handicap figure for each rig. If there's no certainty about which rig is in use it won't be possible to calculate a rational handicap for each rig. Do you have a source for that statement? It seems to contradict what's on the class website.

#409 sosoomii

sosoomii

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

I think that is sales speak, saying what you wanted to hear, because it does contradict other statements and the whole Aero 5 youth circuit thing. It would also seem a bit counter productive as it turns a relatively cheap boat into a relatively expensive boat needing multiple rigs to compete.

#410 bill4

bill4

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

That's quite a creative idea. But at the end of the day it is handicap racing vs one design racing. It stays cheap for the fat guys who would only need to buy one rig. I can't see it working.

#411 sandgrounder

sandgrounder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

One thing I've learned from sailing the D-Zero in 4 of the Sailjuice Winter Series (Handicap) events through the UK winter, with 25 D-Zeros entered, is that in the 3 events I sailed in conditions significantly greater than 20 knots at times, I managed to remain competitive with the larger 8.1m2 (Grey) rig, despite being relatively small at 5'8" and 75 kg (165 lbs). It should be noted that sailors of up to 100 kg have also proven to be competitive in the boat over the winter.

In the Laser, which I sailed for several decades, I would generally need to switch down from Standard to Radial rig in 15 knots+, in order to remain competitive, and would generally be quicker round the course than had I been in the Standard rig.

I am fairly certain that in the D-Zero I would not have been quicker round the course during these windy events with the smaller Blue rig, and feel that the boat rewards good technique and effective, yet simple, tuning of the rig, rather than simple physical attributes.

From what I have observed to date I would estimate that the rig switch from Grey Rig to Blue Rig in say 15 knots of breeze would apply to someone of approximately 70 kg. So from what I can see, in general the Blue Rig is suitable for ladies and youths and the larger Grey Rig is suitable for most adult males, across a large range of wind speeds. I don't believe that rig switching will become a widespread practice in the D-Zero.

#412 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

Clapton's a racist cunt, but even Hotel California has its place on long drives

#413 jeffers

jeffers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

Talking to the designer of the aero there is a change of philosophy over the rigs...the rigs are seen as reefs rather than separate classes as with the laser.
Your handicap is determined by the largest rig you use in a regatta. So use a 9 at any stage your overall place will be scored as if you used a 9 all the time, you won't have to re enter as a separate entry. Switching full to radial laser would mean you get two places with a load of dns.
The idea is to get people sailing whatever the wind strength.. Most aero buyers in the UK have bought 2 or more sizes
I am not sure what the zero association plans to do.

Sorry mate that is complete bullshit and just more marketing guff from the manufacturer.

The Aero is 3 classes and is (well was at launch) being sold as such Aero 9, Aero 7 and Aero 5 same as the Laser is 3 classes (Standard, Radial and 4.7). As to how clubs will handle this is another matter as a fair few clubs in the UK allow class switching in Lasers but allow people to keep the fastest PY so they get 1 set of results (which skews the PY).

The D-Zero Blue is a different class to a D-Zero but will be allowed to race at all D-Zero class events (and may get awarded a separate prize if there are several as well as competing for overall honours). As for PY that is for the people sailing the Blue rig to speak to their clubs to ascertain a rating for them to sail off (a Trial Number).

Now the D-Zero has a PY of 1040 (issued as an EN so clubs should expect to alter this if they feel it is not correct) I believe most clubs are using this for the time being.

#414 washy71

washy71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

The Great Lakes handicapping, in the UK, have given the Aero 9 and the D-Zero the same rating at 1031. They've also given the Aero 7 and D-Zero Blue the same rating at 1059. These will change over time as more data becomes available, I'm sure, but there are numbers out there at least.

#415 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,691 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

My first guess, on seeing an Aero9 lent to a number of sailors at my club of known ability, is that it will end up in the 1000 to 1020 range on our water. 

#416 thisisnotaspoon

thisisnotaspoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:09 PM

Now the D-Zero has a PY of 1040 (issued as an EN so clubs should expect to alter this if they feel it is not correct) I believe most clubs are using this for the time being.

It's about as close to reality as the new Halo rating, but in the opposite direction.

975, fastest non foiling, non trapeze singlehander in the world (faster than a D-one and RS-100 apparently anyway)?

Whatever the RYA were smoking when they dreampt up that number, I want some!

#417 woodman

woodman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

My first guess, on seeing an Aero9 lent to a number of sailors at my club of known ability, is that it will end up in the 1000 to 1020 range on our water. 

So, jim, you think its faster than a blaze? I am sure Mike will have a view, but in all the evidence I have seen even on flat water, the blaze is quicker. In breeze it will pull away comfortably upwind and on a tight reach the blaze is quite a bit faster. On a broad reach there isn't anything between them. I still reckon 1035 ish and 1065 for the 7. We are running off those and no surprises yet. In fact no one has won a race yet.

#418 woodman

woodman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

Back on topic. - was that a red zero at the show and should we have different PY's for a faster colour........

#419 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,691 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

The RYA doesn't dream up numbers. The numbers are what comes back in the data from the clubs.

So, jim, you think its faster than a blaze?

I haven't seen it against a Blaze, but I'm reasonably confident that at our club its faster than a Laser EPS and slower than a Phantom, probably nearer the Phantom. We have sailors of equivalent standard in EPS and Phantom - indeed both have also borrowed the Aero 9  and reached much the same conclusion. Our Aero 9 has won several races off 1015 with 3 different helms. On hull shape and weight I suspect it will have a higher top speed than a Blaze, but I don't have an opinion on overall round the track performance.

#420 Daniel Holman

Daniel Holman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

The RYA doesn't dream up numbers. The numbers are what comes back in the data from the clubs.

I haven't seen it against a Blaze, but I'm reasonably confident that at our club its faster than a Laser EPS and slower than a Phantom, probably nearer the Phantom. We have sailors of equivalent standard in EPS and Phantom - indeed both have also borrowed the Aero 9  and reached much the same conclusion. Our Aero 9 has won several races off 1015 with 3 different helms. On hull shape and weight I suspect it will have a higher top speed than a Blaze, but I don't have an opinion on overall round the track performance.

If I'm not mistaken, Jim, you are on  a smallish pond, where a *ero style boat will be at its strongest against mixed PY opposition. Good point and squirt, easy to tack and gybe, accelerates quickly, manouvrable, easy to exploit all of its potential etc. Mark my words though, the standard Blaze has something like 60% more RM, a foot more LWL, and about 20% more sail area - bring RM into it, which you will for the most part with 11.5m2, and all that power, and the blaze is a class apart in a straight line in an wind high single figures and TWA <90. No matter how shit the overall package might be, a smith and wesson will always beat four aces! A gokart will beat  a porsche round a gokart track, but on anything like open road, the porsche wins.

#421 jeffers

jeffers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Jim, you are on  a smallish pond, where a *ero style boat will be at its strongest against mixed PY opposition. Good point and squirt, easy to tack and gybe, accelerates quickly, manouvrable, easy to exploit all of its potential etc. Mark my words though, the standard Blaze has something like 60% more RM, a foot more LWL, and about 20% more sail area - bring RM into it, which you will for the most part with 11.5m2, and all that power, and the blaze is a class apart in a straight line in an wind high single figures and TWA <90. No matter how shit the overall package might be, a smith and wesson will always beat four aces! A gokart will beat  a porsche round a gokart track, but on anything like open road, the porsche wins.

and this my friends is exactly why clubs should adjust PYs.......

My experience last weekend is that it is likely that the Zero will get a reduced PY at my club in the future if the RYA issued one does not drop. For now though they are going to use the issued PY (we were going to stay on 1044 if the RYA had not issued an EN). The boat, whilst it has an EN is still a bit new to be moving the numbers round. As it was the PYS website suggested 1090 for the D-Zero at my club.....

My experience of the Blaze (sailing on the same water) was that it was hard to sail to handicap. Now it is some 20+ points faster I would find it impossible. However now that Laser has gone the other way it makes it a more attractive option.

Will I be going back to a Laser?? Hell no I am having way too much fun in my D-Zero (which is kind of the point isn't it)

#422 jeffers

jeffers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

Some D-Zero related news. The UK Distributor has announced that the D-Zero is heading to Minorca Sailing  to join their huge fleet of boats.

Good work by the guys at Suntouched to get a foot in the door there.

#423 ChuckLinn

ChuckLinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Time to perhaps renew this thread a bit.  As I write, my D-zero to be, ordered directly from Devoti is making its way to the US, and will soon be in Canandaigua Yacht Club in upstate NY. Rodney Cobb (Suntouched sailboats - he is singlehandedly responsible for UK success in this class, IMHO) has also imported two D-zeros - one in NYC and one in Clearwater, Florida - and is offering them for sale at very competitive prices. Further on, I believe there is one other D-zero in the NYC area - some early adopter from months back.

So - while it is unlikely that the D-zero will take over the rather positive success the RS Aero is having (especially on the US west coast) - the D-zero is not out of the picture. And a fine boat with wonderful construction it appears to be. Can't wait to sail mine.

#424 jeffers

jeffers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

Time to perhaps renew this thread a bit.  As I write, my D-zero to be, ordered directly from Devoti is making its way to the US, and will soon be in Canandaigua Yacht Club in upstate NY. Rodney Cobb (Suntouched sailboats - he is singlehandedly responsible for UK success in this class, IMHO) has also imported two D-zeros - one in NYC and one in Clearwater, Florida - and is offering them for sale at very competitive prices. Further on, I believe there is one other D-zero in the NYC area - some early adopter from months back.

So - while it is unlikely that the D-zero will take over the rather positive success the RS Aero is having (especially on the US west coast) - the D-zero is not out of the picture. And a fine boat with wonderful construction it appears to be. Can't wait to sail mine.

Good to hear that Chuck, hopefully you can lend your newly found expertise to any others wishing to import one. it is a shame the Devoti cannot find a dealer who are willing to take the distribution on in the US.

As for the UK class, Rodney has done a huge amount of work ably assisted by his good lady wife and his team of regional Sales agents and by the volunteers who are running the UK class association.

#425 ChuckLinn

ChuckLinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

Breaking into a dealership market is a bit tough, with Laser and RS (not that I have ever actually seen any RS boat model in the flesh) having the obvious dealers tied up. But.. it seems that at least for now, Rodney is at least managing to get boats across the pond. Its the market itself that needs to be developed.  Like the UK, it is glutted with cheaper used Lasers, which do last essentially forever for recreational sailors. But - with its performance and rather futuristic looks, the D-zero may perhaps find a niche. In our dreams intercollegiate and high school sailing would adopt a new boat (I'm guessing that Aeros may be a bit too fragile for them - but perhaps D-zeros also). But .. that's dreaming, I'm afraid. 20 year olds don't care about pain.

#426 jimmy kneewrecker

jimmy kneewrecker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

dreaming?  nightmare more like.... the DZ would accelerate far too quickly and has too high a top end for college team racing.  And as for maintenance, it would be far too fragile, it's not just pain 20 years don't care about...

(same observations apply to Aero too before partisanship and tribalism accusations kick in)

#427 WestCoast

WestCoast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

Breaking into a dealership market is a bit tough, with Laser and RS (not that I have ever actually seen any RS boat model in the flesh) having the obvious dealers tied up. But.. it seems that at least for now, Rodney is at least managing to get boats across the pond. Its the market itself that needs to be developed.  Like the UK, it is glutted with cheaper used Lasers, which do last essentially forever for recreational sailors. But - with its performance and rather futuristic looks, the D-zero may perhaps find a niche. In our dreams intercollegiate and high school sailing would adopt a new boat (I'm guessing that Aeros may be a bit too fragile for them - but perhaps D-zeros also). But .. that's dreaming, I'm afraid. 20 year olds don't care about pain.

Lots of cool boats trickle over here.  If anyone wants a cool new boat, they can get it to the states.  Some fireballs come in, Musto Skiffs, 470s, 49ers.

Demand aside, the problem is distribution networks.

Having a few boats on the east coast doesn't help people in the south.  Having a guy bringing in containers of boats in the midwest even doesn't help the guy in Vancouver.

For a commercial product to have success (allowing reasonable purchase price for the bulk of the market - not just the hardcore) requires reasonable shipping costs and availability for a customers.  That means, you need to have dealers in 5-7 geographically significant locations who are taking large quantities of boats.

And, that is further complicated by the fact that there aren't many sizeable dinghy stores left in the US.

There are lots of big boat yards and stuff that are Laser dealers, or whatever, but, those guys aren't invested in building new fleets, doing the demos, hosting the regattas, etc.

There are probably 10 stores now that can really help a new class get going.

And, all of those stores have probably been burned by manufacturers in the past who promised 'this is the next laser, we'll support you, make you money, this will be easy, please buy a container'

Just to see their dollars rot or the manufacturer go bust    (been there, done that).

So, it's not a huge surprise that the last few dealerships aren't jumping up and down to take up new products (not just D-Zero, but even the Aero has a hard time getting traction from the bigger guys).

It's a high risk, fairly low reward proposition until there is a critical mass.  So, stores don't bother - not worth it.

Hell, even LaserPerformance has a hard enough time with reliable distribution.

Hobie Cat does it best, but they sell even more mass market products.  But they have tons of dealers, covering the country.

No matter how sexy and amazing the product.... if it's hard to get, customers won't get it.  

The US is a complicated beast for foreign manufacturers to figure out.  
There is a reason the Melges 14 won't go anywhere, or why a long list of really sexy boats don't get imported in great numbers here.
There is no silver bullet for a cool boat like a Zero.  There is no cure.  

--
You need a good product, at a good price point for the end user, with enough margin in it so a dealer can make a buck.
You then need invested dealers, geographically spread out to service the big markets, with the disposable cash flow to take a risk on another new product from a manufacturer that has to have a track record of success...

It's like hunting unicorns though.....  It's not as easy as some people on the internet make it sound.
Would love to see more Zeros replace all sorts of old singlehanded boats - the US needs more cool modern boats!

#428 ChuckLinn

ChuckLinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

Can't disagree with a single word in that, WestCoast. You guys have been doing fantastic job with the Aeros, which are awesome boats as well. The US is just a hard market to understand and crack, and with funny communities as well - look at the midwest scow community, and the intercollegiate circuits. Boats designs seem to come and go. Perhaps the best thing to happen to the US would be for the price of lead to greatly increase, then maybe some of the thousands of keel boat sailors would go back to their roots and sail something where grams and ounces are the enemy.

#429 washy71

washy71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

This thread has been quiet for a while! I thought I'd post a video that a friend of the Class Association put together for the recent London Dinghy Exhibition.

#430 LumpyOne

LumpyOne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:00 PM

Sailed an aero recently. Sure is light and feels zippy. cant take enoiugh power out of the sails though - nowhere enough range in the power settings. Some have got all three sails apparently. shows that they got the rig wrong in my mind- should never need three different sails in a dinghy. Overall it was nice enough just needs a decent rig. Dzero rig looks more like it, can it sail across a decent range??

#431 washy71

washy71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

Over the winter several of us, at my water, have been out in all sorts. I'm 5'10" and 73kg and have managed 30kts+. It took some time to work up to those kind of wind strengths and learn how to tune the rig for it. In the end I was a little stunned out how comfortable it went upwind in those conditions! Goes well downwind in a blow too.

#432 LumpyOne

LumpyOne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:54 PM

Aero 9 is no way faster than a blaze with same sailor skills, that is boll**ks. when its just planig possibly. Any real wind Blaze will sod off upwind. When its really flyin,  Aero 9 will be limping in to get another sail. This multi rig in one class crap is ridiculous. if your light habve a small one sure, but having a fatty sailing a 5 because its a bit blowy shows the rig is rubbish.

#433 jeffers

jeffers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

Aero 9 is no way faster than a blaze with same sailor skills, that is boll**ks. when its just planig possibly. Any real wind Blaze will sod off upwind. When its really flyin,  Aero 9 will be limping in to get another sail. This multi rig in one class crap is ridiculous. if your light habve a small one sure, but having a fatty sailing a 5 because its a bit blowy shows the rig is rubbish.

This is what will skew the PY, someone sailing a 7 or a 5 but claiming the 9 handicap. As Washy says the D-Zero grey rig is pretty good across the conditions, stiff enough when it is light and flexible enough when it is windy to give a great gust response. I wouldn't want a Blue rig for mine as if it was windy enough for me to use it then it is too windy to sail.

#434 LumpyOne

LumpyOne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

My beef is that it seems you need two.

#435 jeffers

jeffers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:58 PM

My beef is that it seems you need two.

I agree and a second rig on a D-Zero or Aero is not cheap but on the Zero it is not necessary IMO you are either Grey or Blue.

#436 gt_uk

gt_uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Learning to sail smarter & faster

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:36 PM

Yep, newbie here - but long timer lurker & reader of SA

Yep, I own a D-Zero - pretty much since the boat was launched

Yep, I've posted various video's about sailing D-Zero's

No, I'm not a complete fanboy...

...I just enjoy sailing & racing the boat with other like minded folk :D

However, these VR Sport video's of the recent UK National's I thought were worth a share

Helped give me an idea of what I missed due to a prebooked, overlapping family holiday :(

Day 2 here

<hmmm seems I cant embed the video's as easily as I'd hoped...>

Final day here

<hmmm seems I cant embed the video's as easily as I'd hoped...>

Full race reports & results can be found on your normal sailing sites ;)

edited to try and correct video links...

#437 jeffers

jeffers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

It was a great event gt. Friday was epic, full on conditions and lots of waves. really showed the pondies in the fleet up but most managed 1 race, a fair few managed to complete the second. I just couldn't stop the boat plowing into the back of the next wave as my technique was definitely found to be wanting. The boat is just so damn quick in those conditions and having to hop from wave to wave in that sort of swell definitely needs practice!

Saturday and Sunday whilst still pretty breezy at times were much more like it. Still advantage to those with wave sailing skills on the whole though.

Class report can be found here: http://www.d-zerosai...rt-and-results/

#438 Blaze720

Blaze720

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

Will be interesting to see the impact of volatile exchange rates - should give any decent UK built boats a real hike in overseas markets and many are today suggesting $ 1.20-1.25 to the UK pound is where it will likely be for quite a while - bouncing around up and down at the moment of course but that is thought likely once the immediate dust settles and uncertainty lasts (ie a long long time yet !).  The euro is under some pressure as well of course ...  Good time to have $ US... and many other currencies !!

Anyway if the whole consumer world is not too spooked I would expect a lot of new boats to head off across the Atlanticetc in the next year.  

Funny old world ....  

#439 lonbordin

lonbordin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Sailing, Snowboarding. In real life I'm a CISSP (IT Security) working for a mid-sized company.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

Will be interesting to see the impact of volatile exchange rates - should give any decent UK built boats a real hike in overseas markets and many are today suggesting $ 1.20-1.25 to the UK pound is where it will likely be for quite a while - bouncing around up and down at the moment of course but that is thought likely once the immediate dust settles and uncertainty lasts (ie a long long time yet !).  The euro is under some pressure as well of course ...  Good time to have $ US... and many other currencies !!

Anyway if the whole consumer world is not too spooked I would expect a lot of new boats to head off across the Atlanticetc in the next year.  

Funny old world ....  

If there was a market for these boats in the US.  There isn't... but it would be great if there was... sigh.

#440 WestCoast

WestCoast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:22 PM

Funny old world ....  

I don't know a lot about Devotti, but, a few of the larger dinghy manufacturers in the UK trade in USD to their North American accounts.

So, currency swing for now hasn't changed anything for those companies.

For the others, maybe, but, those of us who have been doing this a while know things can swing the other way, so we don't tend to pile on all of a sudden to a product with a suddenly favorable exchange rate.

It's a global business.  It's not like they are only sourcing UK based parts, sub assemblies, sails, and then exporting in GBP only.

#441 Blaze720

Blaze720

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

It is the RS Aero that is produced in the UK and should really benefit ... the D's come over from Poland. 

Both might benefit outside in N.America etc from the exchange rate problems but medium term onwards the GBP is heading down further still and so might help RS more.... GBP will settle maybe 10 cents lower than just now - this is widely forecast to be the case for some time at least until some of 'our' 'politicians' sober up, sniff the breeze real deep for once and smell that bitter coffee coming their way soon (...so that is possibly never in some quarters).  

You simply could not make it up ....   

#442 jeffers

jeffers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

The D-Zeros can also go straight from Poland to the US. There is no pressing reason from them to pass through the GBP zone aside from one of the Devoti distributors is based here (and unless exchange rates do something very strange and make it advantageous to go EUR-GBP-USD).

The real advantage RS has is a US wide dealership network and import channels in place. The price may fluctuate with exchange rates but having a distribution model in place is better.

#443 Blaze720

Blaze720

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

Well of course ...  nothing other assumed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users