718 replies to this topic

#1 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

The latest from RS Sailing, sponsor of our much-loved Dinghy Anarchy Forum...

lift-off-1024x681.jpg

After three years of development testing four different hull variations and numerous rig, foil and layout options, RS Sailing will unveil what could become one of the most important new sailboats of this era at the Suzuki RYA Dinghy Show in London – the RS Aero.

In many ways you can think of the RS Aero as a 21st century Laser – with the most fundamental difference being ultra-light weight. A full size single hander that, amazingly, weighs 30kg - the same as an Optimist.

Every dinghy sailor can imagine how that changes the game. Sail the boat and you quickly realise you underestimated it. From the exhilaration on the water, to the sheer user-friendliness ashore, the RS Aero re-sets preconceptions: The rush as the boat accelerates  - the ability to carry it up the beach single-handed – the convenience of youths or small women lifting it onto a roof-rack with ease.

Ultra-light weight means the hull form and rigs need not be extreme, so the RS Aero is utterly exciting without being hard to handle. Wide structural gunwales give a dry ride and make the boat quick and safe to right from capsize.

A three rig system, as per the Laser, has been envisaged from the start to cover the desired sailor range – RS Aero 5 (youths) – RS Aero 7 (women & light men) – RS Aero 9 (men). Racing will be separate – indeed some variation in event programmes is likely, especially for the RS Aero 5. All spars are carbon fibre, with a common top mast and boom for all sails and radically different stiffness lower mast sections. The hull is so light that even the Aero 5 has a higher sail area to weight ratio than most existing single-handers and retains the Aero’s incredibly dynamic feel.

Two v4 pre-production prototype boats will be on the RS Sailing stand at Alexandra Palace. Final stages of the development process are underway, with every aspect of this simple boat having been examined, developed and tested for functionality over fashion, minimal weight, maximum strength and manufacturing efficiency. Perhaps the most remarkable achievement of the RS Aero is that despite being half the weight, built using epoxy resin and significant amounts of carbon fibre in the hull and all-carbon spars, the price will be close to that of a Laser.

UK roll-out of the RS Aero will take place first and a demo tour begins immediately after the Show. Orders are now being taken with a special launch price available on the first 100 boats – over half of which have already been reserved. Click here to get more info.

#2 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

so another singlehanded hiker to join the ranks for a half dozen other RS boats, the Hoot, the DS, the MxNext... I'll believe the price when i see it, along with build quality,. 

#3 cantp1

cantp1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    Skiing
    Squash

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Does it foil?

If it doesn't foil, it's just a waste of time and money...

#4 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

Does it foil?

....you can always wear that foil hat yer've got :rolleyes:

...not everything needs t'foil---it doesn't work everywhere or all the time!

#5 cantp1

cantp1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    Skiing
    Squash

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Does it foil?

....you can always wear that foil hat yer've got :rolleyes:

...not everything needs t'foil---it doesn't work everywhere or all the time!

I agree but at this point they're just copying the Hoot! We don't need two Lasers (oh wait, there's 3 variations), nor do we need two Hoots!

#6 avantgardaclue

avantgardaclue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

so another singlehanded hiker to join the ranks for a half dozen other RS boats, the Hoot, the DS, the MxNext... I'll believe the price when i see it, along with build quality,. 

Hope it's different enough to the Devotti D Zero because I'm guessing that is going to be the serious buyer's choice and that at £5400 will be tough to beat

#7 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

... ...Perhaps the most remarkable achievement of the RS Aero is that despite being half the weight, built using epoxy resin and significant amounts of carbon fibre in the hull and all-carbon spars, the price will be close to that of a Laser.

Yeah

Because the Laser is such an outstandingly good deal.

<_<

Actually I'd love to see this RS-Aero and the D-Zero have a good chance to succeed. Price matters a lot, but also who/where it's brought in

FB- Doug

#8 not growing up

not growing up

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

I agree with COUCHSURFER that everything doesn't need to foil. Besides a modern cockpit for comfort and ease of handling, the main advantage may be the tremendous reduction in weight and all that comes with it. At sometime in the not-too-distant future, the world MAY finally decide that the LASER has  seen better days and move on. This might be the boat. Others have tried to end the LASER reign - could this be it?

#9 GinPalace

GinPalace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Foiling
    Skiffs
    Cats
    Carbon Fiber

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Glad to see this as an option and appreciate the light weight.  Would love to see a real challenge to the laser as I think about getting back into sailing.  Don't want to spend $5k on the same technology I used in the 80's.  I had an Amstrad cassette player back then...  wouldn't buy another one.

Would love to see some real performance figures / head to head comparisons.

In agreement with the posts above -- it's going to be about fleets and circuits and fun.  

Best of luck!

#10 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

What's it rate?

#11 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

at this point they're just copying the Hoot! We don't need two Lasers (oh wait, there's 3 variations), nor do we need two Hoots!

...don't agree t all!.....this boat's a one-piece ,,,no wings,fuller hull......

...........not such a 'skiff transitional' as (hoot)s,,,,but simpler for your average off-the-beach guy

...I still haven't figured how I'll launch/land a (hoot) in surf.

.............thilly for ED to use the title 'lift off' for a non-foiler though  :mellow:

#12 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hope it's different enough to the Devotti D Zero because I'm guessing that is going to be the serious buyer's choice and that at £5400 will be tough to beat

ah thats what i was thinking, not DS. 

#13 not growing up

not growing up

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

Some questions: Is 30kg TOTAL weight or just the hull?  Total sail area? Square top? Fully battened? 

#14 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Looks good to me. I'd be interested in something like this.

I sailed a laser in the 1980s and wouldn't go back to one. The world has moved on since 1980. It's ludicrous that people are still sailing boats like the laser that are poorly constructed and deteriorate rapidly.

#15 AvidSailor

AvidSailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, sailing dinghies, and naval architecture.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

does anyone know the LOA of this boat?

#16 sandgrownan

sandgrownan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

Looks like a big O'pen Bic...

Glad to see this as an option and appreciate the light weight.  Would love to see a real challenge to the laser as I think about getting back into sailing.  Don't want to spend $5k on the same technology I used in the 80's.  I had an Amstrad cassette player back then...  wouldn't buy another one.

Would love to see some real performance figures / head to head comparisons.

In agreement with the posts above -- it's going to be about fleets and circuits and fun.  

Best of luck!

Exactly, and that's why kids prefer the Bic to Optis. Fun. This is the way to revitalise our sport. 

#17 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:21 AM

....Devoti has winglets,, offset hiking straps,,and a chute,no?

........these guys are going hard after the laser market ....good onya!

At sometime in the not-too-distant future, the world MAY finally decide that the LASER has  seen better days and move on. This might be the boat. Others have tried to end the LASER reign - could this be it?

...yeh,,with all the fluff laser's going through,,it'd be rather nice to have something -nice- for the rank and file to sail.

...I always wish force5's had made it.

Some questions: Is 30kg TOTAL weight or just the hull?  Total sail area? Square top? Fully battened? 

...I'm betting it's the hull-weight....by the time you account for any weight in the spars,sail,blades,,etc,,,you'd either have an expen$ive or frail build

#18 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

....Devoti has winglets,, offset hiking straps,,and a chute,no?

........these guys are going hard after the laser market ....good onya!

>>  At sometime in the not-too-distant future, the world MAY finally decide that the LASER has  seen better days and move on. This might be the boat. Others have tried to end the LASER reign - could this be it?

...yeh,,with all the fluff laser's going through,,it'd be rather nice to have something -nice- for the rank and file to sail.

...I always wish force5's had made it.

...I'm betting it's the hull-weight....by the time you account for any weight in the spars,sail,blades,,etc,,,you'd either have an expen$ive or frail build

You're thinking of the D-one. The D-zero is a production version of Dan Holman's Punk.

The RS-Aero looks nice, relatively conventional but sporty... but if it's coming to market at over $9k then it's just plain too expensive. The Laser is 1970s tech at $7k and too expensive for this market segment. It may be that the Aero is going to have a lot more longevity, and thus is really a better deal, but will people go for that logic?

FB- Doug

PS- I liked the Force 5 too, is it possible that somebody will pick up the Weeks production?

#19 fwoark

fwoark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

I'm keen. Any more info?

#20 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

You're thinking of the D-one. The D-zero is a production version of Dan Holman's Punk.

I was wondering if they meant D-One. I have not heard of anything called the D-Zero. But the D-One is considerably more complicated, with an asym, no?

#21 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

Ah. So there is a D-0.

#22 sosoomii

sosoomii

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Very nice Dan! See you at the show tomorrow.

Bad form posting that pic on the sponsors thread though ;-)

#23 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

With the laser class in disarray, it looks like there is a queue of boats wanting to take over.

#24 sosoomii

sosoomii

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

Just winding you up! Could be the best show in years.

#25 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

Wait a minute, the R7 uses same size sail as full rig Laser but is rated for someone weighing 25lbs lighter than me?

And yeah Laser old tech heavy and ultimately bendy with new tackle hastening its demise I like the build of something like the Areo.

#26 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

Wait a minute, the R7 uses same size sail as full rig Laser but is rated for someone weighing 25lbs lighter than me?

And yeah Laser old tech heavy and ultimately bendy with new tackle hastening its demise I like the build of something like the Areo.

..yeh,,,a LOT more power-up/down with carbon spars,,,and the weight/inertia  differences are rather unbeleivable

........brave new world ,really

...looking forward to the next beach-launch dinghy trials,,where laser started out  ;)                                             

#27 Decoy

Decoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

Looks like the hull weight is 30kg.

Specs at http://www.rssailing...lore/nz-rs-aero

#28 williwaw

williwaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

The look of the boat is not very newish, looks like an old OK dinghy

#29 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

agree but at this point they're just copying the Hoot! We don't need two Lasers (oh wait, there's 3 variations), nor do we need two Hoots!

Except RS have a marketing budget, and a history of successfully bringing new boats to market. The boat is just the starting point. 

If you want to foil, get a Moth - it's at the sweet spot in terms of size, (see SHC's post about how his big Moth didn't work), so a non-Moth foiler is going nowhere.

What with this and the D-Zero, I'm missing out by not being able to go to the dinghy show this year. :(

#30 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

This. This is exactly what would work I think.

In every conversation about the mythical "laser-killer" on this forum, people have went on about how the RS100, D-one, moth or whatever will be the boat to take over from the laser.

But in reality I think something more like this could be the answer- basically the laser but updated

#31 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

Viral marketing tho innit? Nobody has control! Anarchic sensibility should have precedence over the revenue dollar.

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

;)

The priorities I see for success in this market is sailing characteristics- it must hit the niche of being fast but no too squirrely, rewarding & fun but not overly demanding. Obviously means different things to different people but there are already stable slow boats sitting idle, and quirky twitchy rockets sitting idle too. It must be relatively inexpensive, and it should be robust and have long service life at that price. It must be simple & quick to rig/unrig, people nowadays don't have the time or temperament to fuss with finicky rigging (or the ones that do, are already sailing a boat they like).

Looks to me like there are several possible Laser replacements on the horizon, and several of them may be successful in the market. I -hope- they come to the US sooner rather than later.

FB- Doug

#32 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Huh, no spinnaker option. Even the Vareo has a spinnaker. Then again you got the RS100.

#33 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

........ RS have a marketing budget, and a history of successfully bringing new boats to market. The boat is just the starting point. 

......yeh,,,rub it in,eh! :mellow: <_<

Looks to me like there are several possible Laser replacements on the horizon, and several of them may be successful in the market. I -hope- they come to the US sooner rather than later.

.....yeh,RS not only has the marketing budget,,,but of course those resources extend to R&D,,build, etc,,,

,,,,,,,,and they could probably manage a generous 'trade-your-laser' program--that'd be th'kicker!

.......  laser started at ~$660 in the 70's,,,I have a feeling RS will likely 'tell' us what those $ are worth now ;)

........pretty well positioned to be a walk-through for the SH olympic class,,given the chance

Huh, no spinnaker option. 

....status quo boat,,,laser appeal

......it's pretty incredible to realize just how unadventurous the mass market is.

....I see a lot of local laser buddies,,and their creative avoidance of even trying a hoot,,even when there's a ready local fleet to join and local laser #'s flail,,,and can't help but see that 'something's up' there :mellow:

...it's incredible to see that sportboats have gotten a grip in NA,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,but those are mostly experienced sailors gone full-circle,,,joining the 'simplify' movement!

#34 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

.......  laser started at ~$660 in the 70's,,,I have a feeling RS will likely 'tell' us what those $ are worth now ;)

That's easy. I tend to like "rule of 72" simple and can do it in my head but there's also

http://data.bls.gov/...1972&year2=2014

which gives the answer ~ $3,700 which I think is a bit low. WTF you can't even find a new Opti for that.

FB- Doug

#35 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

That's easy. I tend to like "rule of 72" simple and can do it in my head but there's also

http://data.bls.gov/...1972&year2=2014

which gives the answer ~ $3,700 which I think is a bit low. WTF you can't even find a new Opti for that.

...yeh,,I always imagined that boat-bux$ shrink faster than general inflation :mellow:

....it'd be quite a phenomena if the RS guys took anything like that # as a starting point!

#36 Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Order form is up at RS...

http://www.rssailing....pdf?1393450518

Launch price for first 100 is 4870GBP

Goes up to 5480 after.

Seems like boats go a bit less in US than just simple exchange rate math, too lazy to do a comparo of retails on two RS boats that are available in both markets to get an RS exchange rate.

#37 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Not too bad a price when you compare say the RS100 (I know its a different boat etc, but at least used prices are coming down to around the £5000:00 mark)

A spinnaker option, at least, would be nice.  Like I was saying the Vareo has that option, I got to try one out a couple of years back..while off the wind was fun it was a disappointing boat, heavy and very uncomfortable gunwale to hike from. Gave me sore hamstring/buttock area.

That said, that same time I noticed a big Laser following (I was at Minorcasailing, Menorca) with racing/coaching every day, pretty much.

#38 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,233 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

as you report having a spi on a singlehander does not transform the boat

it will guarantee it won't sell in any decent numbers though 

may as well  keep going and ask for wing and trapeze options too

#39 not growing up

not growing up

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

For the RS Aero to replace the Laser ( it may be time ) RS will need a ton of support and endorsement from pros and top amateurs.The push will have to be top - down. Regular sailors and racers will have to think that the Aero really is a better boat to get them out of their Lasers. Opinions from the top will sway the masses. 

#40 Martin Wadhams

Martin Wadhams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

In answer to questions:

Hull weight of the RS Aero is 30kg (66lb) basically the same weight as an Optimist!

Sailing weight 49kg (108lb)

Length 4m - 13'2"

Beam 1.4m - 4'7"

Three sizes of rigs (nothing new there) RS Aero 5 - RS Aero 7 - RS Aero 9, typically for youths - women / light men - men respectively.

Epoxy foam sandwich hull with significant use of carbon fibre in high load areas

Carbon fibre spars

Sails have full length top battens with square head - short battens lower down.

Luff track on mast and halyard

Full info and some explanation behind all the design is now up at www.rssailing.com

Exciting and unbelievably busy day today at the Dinghy Show in London.

Amazing reception today - very exciting.

#41 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

So Martin - is the report on the Y&Y forum of 70 sold today true? 

#42 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

For the RS Aero to replace the Laser ( it may be time ) RS will need a ton of support and endorsement from pros and top amateurs.The push will have to be top - down. Regular sailors and racers will have to think that the Aero really is a better boat to get them out of their Lasers. Opinions from the top will sway the masses. 

....err,,how could 'the word' not travel fast from -any- direction?

...comfort,,,drainage ,,,carbon irreconcilability,,,easy up the ramp,,,strong organizational support....and **.....need I go on?!

...**....I'll bet we  see a proper world's within a year

...hmm,,I should see if they need a rep in these parts :mellow:

#43 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,056 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

If they bring a container load to Sydney, I'll have one. Had been thinking of a Laser to supplement my A Class sailing but cannot bring myself to do it. A fleet of these in Sydney would be great.

#44 Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Why is there almost no video (I actually could find none on YouTube) of this 10k next generation single hander "phenom" sailing circles around lasers and leaving them behind? Perhaps a video of a lady lifting the boat on top of a car by herself? Hey RS? Some (actually LOTS!) video please.!? I think is is weak to have zero video on a product website. Really, really weak.

#45 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

What would a Sydney price be 10K?

#46 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts
  • Interests:Dinghies, especially box rule classes.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

sailing circles around lasers and leaving them behind? 

Might not be the best thing to do...To my mind there are two suitable downwind speeds for a singlehanded boat - at least if you sail inland in gusty conditions like I do.

The first is to sail downwind at the same speed gusts travel, so that if you are in a gust you stick with it, if you are not they catch you.

The second is to sail downwind fast enough to catch gusts, so that if you aren't in a gust you can catch one

If you are between those two speeds then when you get in a gust you will sail out of the front and get into the lull and be stuck there, with the raggy unsteady front of the gust just behind. Not nice

If you are slower than gust speed then you will tend to fall out of the gusts and back into the lulls.

The laser is about gust speed downwind, so that's actually a sensible target to aim for. With the ICs we are starting to nibble at gust catching speeds, and of course the Moths do catch them, but no mass market boat will be that quick.

#47 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Laser class turmoil creating entry opportunity.
Congrats to Dan Holman for getting his boat into production, looks good, like the .2 m extra!
And to RS for bringing a simple, clean, modern boat to market, shame about the .2 m missing!

#48 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

Interestingly,,after the initial offer,,both the RS and D-zero come in at about the same.....

£ 5,400.00 = $9,041US  =  $10000CDN = $10,125AUS

the GBP's sure on a spike in the last few years  months,,,it was ~1.6 or so when it mattered to me

...was it Ben's gold or what!? :mellow:

#49 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

If the proverbial laser-killer ever arrives, it will be less expensive than a laser. The demographics for laser sailing (outside of junior sailing) is getting older and older. 20-30 year olds just aren't going to be able to buy a 10k boat. 

#50 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Interestingly,,after the initial offer,,both the RS and D-zero come in at about the same.....

£ 5,400.00 = $9,041US  =  $10000CDN = $10,125AUS

the GBP's sure on a spike in the last few years  months,,,it was ~1.6 or so when it mattered to me

...was it Ben's gold or what!? :mellow:

If the price was the same, I'd be more likely to pick the D-zero... it's much cooler looking.

If the proverbial laser-killer ever arrives, it will be less expensive than a laser. The demographics for laser sailing (outside of junior sailing) is getting older and older. 20-30 year olds just aren't going to be able to buy a 10k boat. 

Well, it's $9k at the moment... about the same as a Megabyte. Which has not exactly set the world on fire, but it seems like a bit more boat than the Aero.

I have to say, this price is disappointing. Sure it's better built than the Laser but that's the whole purpose of advancing technology... make better stuff, use less resources.

Applying inflation to the 1970s Laser price, you get something around $4k. If the Aero were priced at $4k I'd buy two, and I wouldn't even have to explain it to my wife... at $6k I'd buy one with little hesitation, and work at building a fleet here. At $8k I am not all that enthused, and would certainly have to do some home budget negotiating with Mrs Steam... at $9k there is no realistic hope of a fleet starting up around here and it would have to be significantly more impressive than the Megabyte which I'm already familiar with (and like a lot, but again no hope of a fleet around here) before I'd get one.

Bummer

Or maybe it's just me

Already confirmed that I'm an old fogey but hopefully not yet at the stage where all I can talk about is my latest operation and how much stuff costs nowadays.

FB- Doug

#51 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

...yeh...when Laser came on,,,they were pricing equivalent to an Opti IIRC :blink:

..........Laser certainly knew their marketing.

What's an opti worth today? :mellow:

....from what I've seen,,Laser sailors are -very- stuck on what they've got,,

even with fleets dwindling to rather pathetic #'s,, ,,not that umpteen classes will help that

...the best answer I have for my bit in the scene,,a different market to these,,

..........is to build a strong local group,,,go from there.

...at least in dealing with a 'skiffy' sort,,,mature sailors come to see that the challenges and joy come from smaller fleets,or even -solo- sailing,,,and the pains of schedules,travel,and crew availability all become secondary

#52 Norm

Norm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

is that the standard main sheet system ? does it work OK ?

i dont know about about RS but it is a shame when boats are put on market and controls look good but need upgrading to actually work

30kg hull makes it interesting for man handling,  opens up more buyers  - easy car topper and store in garage under ceiling 

#53 Wavedancer II

Wavedancer II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

How do these boats compare to the updated (2nd generation) Byte?

#54 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

So, RS does sell a boat for $3k...

#55 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:17 AM

So, RS does sell a boat for $3k...

The Tera isn't for adults.

#56 Wavedancer II

Wavedancer II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:20 AM

With the laser class in disarray, it looks like there is a queue of boats wanting to take over.

Athough the class organization (ILCA) may be in disarray, this really hasn't effected Laser sailing as such. In my neck of the woods (USA), it's sailing as before. Frostbiting, club racing, Regional and National championships all have good turnouts.

I might be reluctant to buy a new boat though, but this only effects Laser Performance and the dealership that would sell me the boat. So far, my current (2004) one is holding up.

Even though the D-zero and RS-Aero look mighty nice, it will be a long time for them to catch up with the Laser as far as numbers and opportunities to race are concerned.

#57 Oscar Whitbread

Oscar Whitbread

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

is that the standard main sheet system ? does it work OK ?

i dont know about about RS but it is a shame when boats are put on market and controls look good but need upgrading to actually work

30kg hull makes it interesting for man handling,  opens up more buyers  - easy car topper and store in garage under ceiling 

I agree, that's a big winner for me, easy to car top and simple storage. Possibly eliminate the need for a trailer/dolly which would open up a lot more launching options in my area too.

#58 Martin Wadhams

Martin Wadhams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Sorry - posted some answers yesterday, but appears not to have worked.

More than 70 ordered now - not all of them placed at the Dinghy Show, but a lot were.

Received an email late Saturday from our AUS dealer which included the throw away line - you'd better put me down for 10 (not included in quantity above), so hopefully a boat in Sydney will be possible, SimonN.

I promise the controls and mainsheet do all work, Norm.

Response to the price at the weekend was that for an epoxy / foam sandwich hull with significant amounts of carbon fibre, all carbon spars and epoxy sandwich foils, the Aero is fantastic value. That was literally everyone's view I heard - and I spoke to a serious number of sailors. Controlling cost while halving the weight and making the boat truly exciting to sail has been a huge factor in the design and development process. 

#59 EdFontana

EdFontana

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Do you communicate what "epoxy hull" means to useful life (resale value) anywhere in the documentation?

Lead customers will recognize that, but others will not.

Very nice work, by the way. Thank you for bringing it to market.

#60 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Location:as a general rule: i'm there where there is no wind

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Hi there

I like the effort and it seams to look like a great boat.
from the Web page I really like the possibility to stack 3 boats on a single standard trailer. With only 30 kgs this makes a lot of sense to me!
If this is the laser killer or not is not for me to tell.
I am sure the aero is good or even great value for what it is. But does the laser replacement need full carbon spars? I'm not sure but I don't know. Is it state of the art? Yes.
I'm not a laser sailor, I'm not involved in the discussion but I read quite a lot about it.
From my outside point of view I'd say the new laser killer has to be cheaper in absolute numbers than the laser by 20% or more.
Given 40 years of development in materials, manufacturing, design and calculation one would think that this should be possible and still get a better performance and build quality boat. No it won't have carbon spars. If this is not possible, then it proves what a great design the laser really is.

I am also missing some videos on the Web page. I hope they will come.
The hoot was very good on that. A bikini girl, carrying the hull under one arm and using the supplied tool to easily get it on the cars roof.
Sail on!

#61 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

I went to the show yesterday and missed it first time I went past the stand as there were too many people crowded around it.

Later I bumped into a very good yachter who asked if I'd seen it cos he'd just bought one, so I went back to have a look.  It's a very simple looking little boat with some nicely put together carbon bits and pieces to keep it light and make it look nice.  My 5 year old overheard the salesman telling some old boy how light it was, at which point he tried to drag it off it's stand.  That made it clear how light the thing really is.

Looks great for someone who wants to sail a simple singlehander.  Guess we'll have to see how many of them there are who are prepared to get their cash out.

Is it a Joe Richards design?

#62 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

.....when I saw the center-sheeting,,,an instant sigh of relief......no-more-hooked-sheets!!!

...I'd imagine y'all did your homework on details

Response to the price at the weekend was that for an epoxy / foam sandwich hull with significant amounts of carbon fibre, all carbon spars and epoxy sandwich foils, the Aero is fantastic value. That was literally everyone's view I heard - and I spoke to a serious number of sailors. Controlling cost while halving the weight and making the boat truly exciting to sail has been a huge factor in the design and development process. 

...great splash Martin,,had missed the build materials...yeh certainly part of moving on from the laser is investing in a boat who's race-life is -well- extended from what we've known. ;)

The hoot was very good on that. A bikini girl, carrying the hull under one arm and using the supplied tool to easily get it on the cars roof.
Sail on!

...it's so funny how the mind works--the HOOT-gal was in a wetsuit!! :mellow: :lol:

#63 Alex W

Alex W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Interests:sailboats, bikes, metalworking, diy

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

RS Sailing lists the price of the Aero as "starting at $7,499".  That's nicer than $9,051.

If a big fleet appears in Seattle then it would be tempting.  Without one I have pretty limited interest.

#64 High Flow

High Flow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Location:as a general rule: i'm there where there is no wind

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

.....when I saw the center-sheeting,,,an instant sigh of relief......no-more-hooked-sheets!!!
...I'd imagine y'all did your homework on details

...great splash Martin,,had missed the build materials...yeh certainly part of moving on from the laser is investing in a boat who's race-life is -well- extended from what we've known. ;)

Sail on!

...it's so funny how the mind works--the HOOT-gal was in a wetsuit!! :mellow: :lol:

Indeed it is! while writing the sentence I was wondering if she was actually wearing a bikini. I even started questioning if it actually was a girl!
still:
girl in a bikini - that's the image that was stored in my mind.

#65 Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Jim,

The point is that there is no video backing up anything at all.

1. Lets see it sailing.  Heavy air, light air, upwind, reaching, downwind, small, middle and big sail.....
  2. Lets see it in various conditions vs. other boats in the segment
  3. Lets see it being rigged.
  4. Lets see it being lifted up on a car by a young woman

It is incredible to me that there is not more video as RS is supposedly a proper marketer of their products, etc.

Someone please post a few video's of this thing...OR...are there literally no video's?

sailing circles around lasers and leaving them behind? 

Might not be the best thing to do...To my mind there are two suitable downwind speeds for a singlehanded boat - at least if you sail inland in gusty conditions like I do.

The first is to sail downwind at the same speed gusts travel, so that if you are in a gust you stick with it, if you are not they catch you.

The second is to sail downwind fast enough to catch gusts, so that if you aren't in a gust you can catch one

If you are between those two speeds then when you get in a gust you will sail out of the front and get into the lull and be stuck there, with the raggy unsteady front of the gust just behind. Not nice

If you are slower than gust speed then you will tend to fall out of the gusts and back into the lulls.

The laser is about gust speed downwind, so that's actually a sensible target to aim for. With the ICs we are starting to nibble at gust catching speeds, and of course the Moths do catch them, but no mass market boat will be that quick.

#66 Lake Shark

Lake Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:boats, babes, and brews

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

The boat looks nice but I'm skeptical of the whole "car top-able by one person claim" I can easily lift the weight of an Opti over my head but I can't easily lift an Opti over my head and place it on a car due to its shape

#67 Lake Shark

Lake Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:boats, babes, and brews

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

The boat looks nice but I'm skeptical of the whole "car top-able by one person claim" I can easily lift the weight of an Opti over my head but I can't easily lift an Opti over my head and place it on a car due to its shape

#68 Norm

Norm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

Thanks Martin,

Send some to Aus quick before our currency drops any further.

It would be interesting to see price on Australian soil after our Government have a crack.

#69 EdFontana

EdFontana

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:31 AM

A Laser is car top-able by one person. You need the ultra wide Thule bars for the spars on the passenger side. If you are on grass and the distance is manageable you can use a set of 3 swimming pool noodles from Walmart as rollers. Just throw the third one in front and keep doing that leap frog style. The fact that I used the rollers and admitted it says something about how physically strong I am (not).  If you can hold two block without a mainsheet cleat you will be fine.

I think a longer boat is easier, as the bow can reach the back crossbar with you still at the balance point. At least that is the easiest way.

#70 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

A Laser is car top-able by one person. You need the ultra wide Thule bars for the spars on the passenger side. If you are on grass and the distance is manageable you can use a set of 3 swimming pool noodles from Walmart as rollers. Just throw the third one in front and keep doing that leap frog style. The fact that I used the rollers and admitted it says something about how physically strong I am (not).  If you can hold two block without a mainsheet cleat you will be fine.

I think a longer boat is easier, as the bow can reach the back crossbar with you still at the balance point. At least that is the easiest way.

...Laser...just drag it on the gunnel ,,,'beach-boat' afterall :P

#71 torrid

torrid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:13 AM

Yes, yes we do keep getting older.  When I was in my 20s, I couldn't afford a $5k boat (equivalent for the time).  However, I could afford a $1000-1500 Laser that was competitive enough for my skill level.  THAT is why the Laser is so hard to replace.

#72 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

I'm seeing a rich vein of well off middle aged men looking to buy one to give them something to club sail while their kids are playing optis.

Another rig for the Mrs and perhaps a mini one for the kids to mess about with when there isn't much wind...

#73 Martin Wadhams

Martin Wadhams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Replacing the Laser has never been our plan. The boat will be around forever. But not everyone sails a Laser - and some Laser sailors move from boat to boat over the years. We hope (and believe) the Aero will find its place in the game.

Many things have happened in boat development - rotomoulded boats like our Tera and Quba give an entry point and great sailing for realistic cost. The Aero is aimed at the more experienced sailor who is able to spend a bit more, for another level. In time the used Aero market will give a lower cost option.

Yes, it's a Jo Richards design - and I'd like to give full credit as well to our own Technical Director, Alex Southon, who has put heart, soul and experience into working with Jo to make the Aero what it is / will be. His kids probably don't recognise him........

Until this last few days we've deliberately not sought publicity for the Aero. We knew that as soon as the word was out we'd come under pressure to start delivering boats - and we just wanted the space to do the best possible job and press the go button when we're ready. So, I have to admit we haven't done all kinds of promo material yet - including video. We'll get onto it.

We are working on a specific RS Aero addition to a roof rack that will make single handed roof loading convenient.

The bikini thing has got my attention and I couldn't possibly say more right now.

#74 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,850 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

The demographic outside of junior sailing is much older than 20-30s. The biggest adult single-hander class in the UK is the Solo, at a price point not dissimilar to the Aero. Sailors are mostly the wrong side of 40, many of them well the wrong side.

#75 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Yes, it's a Jo Richards design - and I'd like to give full credit as well to our own Technical Director, Alex Southon, who has put heart, soul and experience into working with Jo to make the Aero what it is / will be. His kids probably don't recognise him........

Jo's not designed a lot of dogs recently, not unless he's asked for another off the beach for sailing schools shitter by the manufacturer.  So we can probably give the shape the benefit of the doubt...

This was one of his, this years Bloody Mary winner.

http://www.yachtsand...yandy103242.jpg

#76 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

The bikini thing has got my attention and I couldn't possibly say more right now.

...... methinks a MartinWadhams bikini shot would be something of a mis-fire :mellow:

#77 postpast

postpast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Old Cars, Old Heavy Equipment, Sailing, Fixing Sail Boats,

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:32 AM

The marketing approach here seems brilliant. If they could deliver at $8,995 I bet they could have a success. This looks to me like a possible replacement to the Laser, but the Laser is all about class. Cost is a big factor; under $7500 a real chance, over $10,000 not so much.

A wild marketing idea? how about offering 100 rs Aero's for $500,000 or 50 for $345,000.

#78 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,684 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

Hey Martin - how much of this is a play for the 2020 Olympics?  With the Laser so sloppy right now and years of litigation ahead, the question has gotta be asked, doesn't it?

#79 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:04 AM

......hmm,,not a bad idea..                       captain obvious!

........do you think  they thought of that? :huh:

#80 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

What would a Sydney price be 10K?

Current exchange rate is GBP1 = AUD1.85396. Base price is GBP5,480. Toss in a trolley, cover, foil and spar bags and it comes to GBP6,083 => AUD11,278 plus 10% GST (AUD12,405) plus shipping (AUD1,500?) plus… so not much change from AUD14k. Very close to a second hand Mach2.

A local dealer may make things easier, but not cheaper.

#81 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,056 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:25 AM

Hi RobG

I would like to buy a second hand Mach 2 for very close to AU$14k. Any leads?

(serious enquiry!)

Thanks

#82 sosoomii

sosoomii

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

Rob,

Assuming they are made in Thailand like some other RS boats, you have double accounted for shipping (if anything shipping to Oz May be cheaper than to UK). Also you used the VAT inclusive price (20%) and then added GST. There is also (here at least) an introductory discount. And that isn't even mentioning the ludicrously strong Aussie dollar, which is hardly the fault of RS, but which surely is softening the cost of imports for you.
What does a new Laser xd cost in Oz these days?

#83 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Rob,

Assuming they are made in Thailand like some other RS boats, you have double accounted for shipping (if anything shipping to Oz May be cheaper than to UK). Also you used the VAT inclusive price (20%) and then added GST. There is also (here at least) an introductory discount. And that isn't even mentioning the ludicrously strong Aussie dollar, which is hardly the fault of RS, but which surely is softening the cost of imports for you.

Australia has a free trade agreement with Thailand, so there shouldn't be any import duties into Australia. Correcting for the lower GST (10% versus VAT of 20%) and assuming equal shipping costs gives a price of $10,337

RS Sailing: is this roughly what it will cost in Aus?

#84 sosoomii

sosoomii

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

You guys are rich. I'm sure they'll add another thousand to redistribute your wealth...

#85 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hi RobG

I would like to buy a second hand Mach 2 for very close to AU$14k. Any leads?

(serious enquiry!)

Thanks

I'm sure you know who/where to ask to find boats in the $15-18k range. They aren't hanging around, you have to wait for them to come up.

Rob,

Fair enough. I used the current exchange rate, so if it's currently "ludicrously strong" then things won't get better in that regard.

#86 Martin Wadhams

Martin Wadhams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Slow down....you're running ahead of us with Olympic talk! We've always believed the Aero has big potential - and it has certainly been a bit of a challenge this week keeping up with the response. But we haven't ever discussed the Olympics and have learned the hard way that what will be, will be, on that front...

Please bear with us on the launch pricing around the world. Announcements will follow as soon as possible - along with other launch info for each region.

Actually, manufacture will be in the UK. The design and construction system have focussed on keeping man-hours as low as possible, to make this feasible. And freight will be efficient due to the shape / stacking to allow a lot of boats in a box. We are working with a company who's main business is in parts for the aircraft and other industries - high tech composites specialist.

#87 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Don't convert the UK pounds to other currencies because that at least has the 17% or whatever VAT in it. If the lower US$7500 price is right for the US then that is competitive with a Laser. The D-0 is interesting as well. With Laser class turmoil the blood is in the water...

#88 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,049 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

FWIW, VAT is 20% now. OMG. WTF. ETC.

#89 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

The D-0 is interesting as well.

......the 'D-0' ?....Dohh......DH.......Daniel Holman..........ohhhh,,D-zero,,,the Homer Simpson boat,,I get  it!!  :)

............I think :huh:

#90 WestCoast

WestCoast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

Hoping to sail the Aero in a few weeks while visiting RS with another guy from our store.

I can confirm there will be a North American launch pricing offer, but seems like demand in the UK will soak up production time for a while. 

Can't say what price, but expect it to be attractive.

I've been doing this a while now, and seen a lot of singlehanded boats.  I'm biased, but from the information I've gotten about the project, I have a suspicion the RS boys have nailed this.

#91 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing, motorcycle road racing.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

70 BOATS ORDERED! Now that's a home run imho. KO in Galveston is an RS dealer, will they get some?

#92 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

70 BOATS ORDERED! Now that's a home run imho. KO in Galveston is an RS dealer, will they get some?

I understand that they are fully returnable deposits if you decide it's not for you following a test sail.  That said those I know who've put deposits down are quite excited and serious about actually owning one.

#93 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

Schiesse! Maybe they should start putting it on booze. You Poms certainly drink enough that the overall rate might come down. One would have though that the Tories would be cutting taxes rather than raising them but your Conservatives are different from ours.

Anybody have any facts/baseless opinions on the Aero relative to the D0?

#94 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

Slow down....you're running ahead of us with Olympic talk! We've always believed the Aero has big potential - and it has certainly been a bit of a challenge this week keeping up with the response. But we haven't ever discussed the Olympics and have learned the hard way that what will be, will be, on that front...

Please bear with us on the launch pricing around the world. Announcements will follow as soon as possible - along with other launch info for each region.

Actually, manufacture will be in the UK. The design and construction system have focussed on keeping man-hours as low as possible, to make this feasible. And freight will be efficient due to the shape / stacking to allow a lot of boats in a box. We are working with a company who's main business is in parts for the aircraft and other industries - high tech composites specialist.

Dinghy manufacturer with their minds in the 21 century... Cheers mate!

#95 torrid

torrid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:05 AM

Hey Martin - how much of this is a play for the 2020 Olympics?  With the Laser so sloppy right now and years of litigation ahead, the question has gotta be asked, doesn't it?

Make it an Olympic class?  Way to kill the class, even before it gets started.

#96 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Make it an Olympic class?  Way to kill the class, even before it gets started.

Yeah, it's killed the Laser stone dead.

#97 radicalmove

radicalmove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

So will George have one of these at Strictly Sail Pacific in April ?

#98 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts
  • Interests:Dinghies, especially box rule classes.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Schiesse! Maybe they should start putting it on booze. 

Start? Booze gets VAT and extra taxes called excise duty. At sailing club prices my post racing pint is approaching 50% tax...

#99 WestCoast

WestCoast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

So will George have one of these at Strictly Sail Pacific in April ?

not this april as the launch is UK focused for the first half of the year, but the following Strictly Sail... oh yeah.

Phil (our marketing manager) and I are flying to the UK next month the Aero in person.

#100 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Phil (our marketing manager) and I are flying to the UK next month    in    the Aero..........

..it's got a detachable propulsion system too???  :blink:  :o          ;)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users