23 replies to this topic

#1 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

They just put this up. It is aimed to be "similar to the capability our forecasters have on their workstations. "

http://new.nowcoast.noaa.gov/

#2 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

VERY cool stuff.  I'm not a weather nerd so I don't know how much of this is valuable to amateur forecasters/navigators etc, but it's fun to play with

#3 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Interesting...

I've had a recent brainwave (let me know what you think), rather than broadcasting weatherfaxes as they do today why doesn't the USCG or whoever broadcast gribs like the ones you can order via email. I'm sure given a standard protocol that a smart enough client could pick out an area/forecast of interest from a repeating data stream. it would Make it possible to get grib quality data with a <$200 SSB receiver.

#4 TheOffice

TheOffice

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Nice!  If you right click on an inshore or coastal region you get the forecast.  The ocean temp needs to display a legend.  What temp is yellow?

You can go back 2 hours on the wind barbs, but not forward, so it is of limited use offshore.  Maybe they will incorporate that soon.  

The new satellite is supposed to be on-line next month.  Hopefully we forecasts will improve.

#5 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

Clever! Lots of information to be had.

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Thanks Evans.  On front page now.

#7 Inland Pirate

Inland Pirate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

Is there a UK version?

#8 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:the pointy end of the boat

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

a UK version of a US government website?  doubtful.

#9 triple trouble

triple trouble

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Dayboats with classic and modern lines that are good looking and fun to sail.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Brilliant!

#10 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

I've noodled around in it for awhile and it looks interesting but I'll be happy when the site is fully functional with radar and satellite data. There is a function showing showing historic views rollback (3 hours I believe) which is very handy in my eyes. The spot reports stop at the Canadian border but that's fair enough and we get good information from Environment Canada (and other good sources) for that. For satellite etc I like to use the boys & girls from U of A as it's sort of local: http://www.atmos.was...ather/sat.shtml and NOAA linked by NASA that's pretty groovy: http://weather.msfc....estpacusir.html .

Hmmm.....apparently we are about to be bitch slapped but I knew that on Monday.

Yes, I'm an amateur weather nerd.

Paging Mr. DryShirt. Please pick up the white courtesy phone in the lobby!

#11 Inland Pirate

Inland Pirate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

a UK version of a US government website?  doubtful.

As in a UK Met Office service which is similar....

#12 rule69

rule69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Interesting...

I've had a recent brainwave (let me know what you think), rather than broadcasting weatherfaxes as they do today why doesn't the USCG or whoever broadcast gribs like the ones you can order via email. I'm sure given a standard protocol that a smart enough client could pick out an area/forecast of interest from a repeating data stream. it would Make it possible to get grib quality data with a <$200 SSB receiver.

Is fleetcode still a thing?

#13 JasonD

JasonD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

Looks cool at first site...however it's taking forever to load data and the overlays, and I'm on a super-fast connection.  I'll keep watching.

#14 pro from dover

pro from dover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

Great, another gov'ment give away. Just like GPS, spend billions on hardware and then just give the info  away for free

#15 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:58 AM

it's not free, we are paying for it

#16 pro from dover

pro from dover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:10 AM

you get a bill every month for your GPS usage ? Is that kinda like that "pay as you go " deals?

#17 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

you get a bill every month for your GPS usage ? Is that kinda like that "pay as you go " deals?

Someone call an IRS auditor.

#18 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

Just checked it out, looks good so far and there is a LOT there! Have to play with it more when I have some more time.

#19 Bruce T. Shark

Bruce T. Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:After Race Parties<br />Frank Mundus<br />Peter Benchly

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Nowcast? WTF these are the same people that just apologized for missing the winter FORCAST, not nowcast...btw i know Mark is good, but they guy i follow:

1. Called Sandy's landfall on the NJ coast from 9 days out and was 25 miles and 4 hours off - and called it a hurricane - NOAA downgraded it prior to landfall.

2. Predicted this winter a year ago

3. FORECASTS (as in forward thinking)

4. Is very self critical..

5. I pay a monthly fee to get his review, access to models - including the ones NOAA uses

Grin, thanks anyway ESTAR...btw if anyone wants to PM me i will tell you who it is..and you can get a free 30 day look..

#20 atoyot

atoyot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,716 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

No, the OP does not reference "nowcast". Read the link again.

#21 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

Nowcast? WTF these are the same people that just apologized for missing the winter FORCAST, not nowcast...btw i know Mark is good, but they guy i follow:

1. Called Sandy's landfall on the NJ coast from 9 days out and was 25 miles and 4 hours off - and called it a hurricane - NOAA downgraded it prior to landfall.

2. Predicted this winter a year ago

3. FORECASTS (as in forward thinking)

4. Is very self critical..

5. I pay a monthly fee to get his review, access to models - including the ones NOAA uses

Grin, thanks anyway ESTAR...btw if anyone wants to PM me i will tell you who it is..and you can get a free 30 day look..

I have  friend at NOAA who predicted Sandy 12 days out. And he was the one at NOAA who convinced the brass during the NHC to HMC handoff that the storm really would go left.

And I don't pay a dime for this service. There are some really really great minds at NOAA and NOAA has fantastic tools. But you have to do some looking around. Of great utility to sailors are the aeronautical products.

#22 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Skype: slim_joel

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:14 AM

CRAMMIT HATAS!!

I predicted Sandy 25 days out!

JELLUS!? You that's who!!

#23 Zonker

Zonker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

Interesting...

Probably wouldn't work unless you want to be receiving the data stream for a few hours.  A weatherfax is a simple image.  The pixel is on or off.  If you get some static on the radio link you might get some speckles (on instead of off)

A grib file is a digital file.  Lots of data.  If you get static you get garbage.  You could (with a suitable clever protocol) figure out a way to get 90% of the data by listening multiple times to the data.  But it would take a lot of time.  A grib is a very compact data package for YOUR area.  To broadcast an ocean's worth of data would take too long. Different users have different area requirements.  So I don't think this idea would work, sorry.

#24 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Interesting...

With an SSB transceiver and a pactor modem coupled to a laptop you can do FTP by email and get whatever files you want from NOAA for free once you do the initial setup.  GRIBS, Surface analysis, 500mb, current, 24 hours 72 hours, 96 hours forecasts. whatever you like.

A satphone makes a simple and much faster way to do it. But there is a per minute cost. We got several different weather charts (surface analysis, 500mb etc) for the North pacific for current, 24 hours, 48 hours, 96 hours and did it twice a day (racing) for a few dollars a day.

from mailasail.com "A file of GRIB data at a 1 degree latitude/longitude spacing covering the area 30N to 45N, 10W to 15E, giving wind arrows for eight times ie 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 96, 120 hours ahead (12 hourly to 3 days and 24 hourly to 5 days) would be 15x25x3x8 ie 9000 values.

The file containing these data is less than 15 kb"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users