#102 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

from Jonathan Weston, maybe we can get a few more sailors in Monterey, CA this weekend.

Due to low participation, and the fact that the top three sailors on the West Coast will be here, I've decided that we are going to sail singlehanded on Sunday. This might get a few more Singlehanded boats that can only commit to one day on Sunday, and give the crew a day off to play in Monterey. Here is the NOR.

NOR MPYC WETA FIRECRACKER REGATTA

Entry Fee: $50 payable to Monterey Peninsula Yacht Club on day of race. ($30 if just sailing Saturday, $25 if just sailing Sunday). YC Dinner SaturdayNight $20 per person.

Saturday, July 5

Inaugural Doublehanded Nationals

Doublehanded racing on open ocean course.

Each boat must carry at least a crew of two (Skipper and Crew).

Each race will consist of two laps with windward start and finish.

If there is a reaching mark set, reaching mark must be rounded to port on first lap.

Starting line to starboard of committee boat, finish to port.

No throw outs.  Foul = 360

Scoring:

1st = 3 points

2nd = 2 points

3rd = 1 point

Boat with most points wins Inaugural Doublehanded Nationals.

Sunday, July 6th

Race of Champions

Singlehanded racing on open ocean course.

Each race will consist of two laps with windward finish.

If there is a reaching mark set, reaching mark must be rounded to port on first lap.

Scoring:

1st = 5 points

2nd = 3 points

3rd = 1 point

No throw outs.  Foul = 360

Boat with most points wins.

Weta FIRECRACKER award goes to best score over two days.

#103 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

Wish I could be there. Enjoy.

#104 X X-Yachter

X X-Yachter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Is the the first awlgripped Weta? Got tired of yellow and I swear it's faster.

Attached Files

#105 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Interests:surfing and sailing

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

^^^

Beautiful job.  Very stealthy

#106 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, flying, fishing, knocking around.

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

Outstanding. You're putting ideas in my head for my plain-jane grey Weta.

#107 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

That's an excellent color on your weta... looks great..

#108 sail(plane)

sail(plane)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Weta #676

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

Have you also applied fast orange to the daggerboard and rudder? Thats even faster

#109 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

Who's going?  https://www.facebook.com/HeinekenHPDO

#110 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Cool!

#111 X X-Yachter

X X-Yachter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Have you also applied fast orange to the daggerboard and rudder? Thats even faster
Excellent suggestion. I might need an exit hatch on the main hull too.

#112 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

If you went on some sort of expedition, how long could you leave your boat in the water before barnacles became a problem?

#113 not growing up

not growing up

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

In S.W Florida, my guess is baby barnacles in only a few days this time of year. Not good!

#114 AdventureTri

AdventureTri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

TP, if you're sailing it every day on your expedition, it shouldn't be a problem.  The problem is when its sitting still with no water flow to brush new growth off.  We have had really good success with EP2000 on Osprey, moored at a dock year round. It's photo-reactive, releasing hydrogen peroxide with sun exposure.  Lighter colors of the paint work better.

#115 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

We should make the Buzzelli a  really bid deal for the Weta fleet! I'm in for all three days.

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=158650

#116 vyleart

vyleart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:going fast.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

Just bought a used weta today, picking it up on Tuesday.

I have a few questions, I hope it's the right place if not don't hesitate to point me in the right direction.

- The weta I just bought needs some TLC after few years of neglect under the sun and cormorans digestive excretion due to overeating of anchovies but it is structurally sound (yes it was love at first sight). Any advice on gelcoat/paint job ideal scenario and things to avoid (aside from an ugly color) to give it a fresh new face. Type of gelcoat, and paint ideal to work with.

- I have seen on a video of some san francisco wetaists a neat jib stay holder with a ring to lead the gennacker furling line, and was wondering if it is a custom job or if it is just the current deck fitting (that I may be able to buy).

- I am about to install a hitch on my car to pick up the weta on tuesday, and was wondering what is the diameter of the ball and if the trailer has an electrical connection or not.

Thanks in advance for reading a newbie.

D

#117 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:55 AM

Welcome to the Weta fleet! There is a forum on yahoo that you can check out - https://groups.yahoo...-Trimarans/info and also check out the tips and tricks page on the website - http://www.wetamarin...tips-and-tricks and the owner's locker - http://www.wetamarin.../owner-s-locker

Hope to see you at nationals! They are at Richmond Yacht Club in San Fran October 3 - 5. Also two stalwarts of the class live near you - Bruce Fleming and Robert Shirley. I'm sure they'd be happy to help out and welcome another keen owner. If you post on the yahoo forum they are there under their names. Unfortunately you have just missed the Summer Sailstice training camp but there are more get togethers coming up - you can check out the racing calendar on wetanorthamerica.com - http://www.wetanorthamerica.com/#!calendar/c1t44 

I do marketing for Weta, I've only been the US once for Weta (WetaFest in Florida earlier this year) but I feel like I know everyone as I cover all the Weta events and try to get press out for them.

Cheers,

Miranda

#118 vyleart

vyleart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:going fast.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

Hi Miranda,

Thanks a lot for the links, I will definitely jump on these forums for more answers. When it comes to nationals, I think I first need to tame the beast before I can even consider turning around a buoy with anyone else but a seagull, as I have have never sailed one before. We will see how quickly I can adapt, the least I can do is come to SF as it is not too bad of a trip.

Thanks for doing the videos by the way, they were very useful in me deciding on getting a weta, great job!

Best,

David

#119 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Great, glad you are enjoying the videos!

I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly it's pretty easy to sail, just got to get used to the width. I might have run over a mark or two when I started sailing them....

Cheers

#120 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

Just heard back from Juana's and they say "no problem".  There are a bunch of Weta's in that area, yes? Surely we can put a fleet together.

Hell, Sept. 7th is my 40th anniversary! If I can talk my wife into a regatta on that weekend (I already have), surely some more of you can manage.

#121 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

How to sail your Weta without using the helm

Just a fun video, would love to see some owner attempts at doing the same thing!

Cheers,

Miranda

#122 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:22 AM

:lol: You're too tough for me girl!

#123 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

haha it's really not to difficult!

#124 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

I ran across this video software today, http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

And made this video of uncut footage. It's Daytona in really light air. Nothing exciting but here it is. 

There are days like this! The RC canceled for no wind and thunderstorms in the area

#125 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

Is that a speedpuck on the bow?

#126 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:06 AM

Yes ma'm :rolleyes:   Purely for training purposes.

#127 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

haha would be cool to see the speeds! Can't quite read it in the video

#128 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yeh, the speeds were clear when I posted to Youtube, don't know what happened. Best I recall top speed was 5.6 mph but mostly 3-4.

I want to get some thunderstorm activity. It is very common here, I just wonder if people in the other parts of Weta world experience the same thing. June through August they occur daily, often more than once.

#129 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

If it wasn't for thunderstorms nearly every other afternoon here, we'd have to stop sailing from June through August. Not smart to go out in them, but you get to jonesing about sailing and decide you just have to go. I tried to outrun one last week. Barely made it back to the shore before the bottom fell out. Wind capsized the boat while it was under bare poles.

#130 sail(plane)

sail(plane)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Weta #676

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

Wind capsized the boat barepoled while on the water with you on it, or was it on the trailer onshore? (of course that wouldn´t be a capsize)

If it wasn't for thunderstorms nearly every other afternoon here, we'd have to stop sailing from June through August. Not smart to go out in them, but you get to jonesing about sailing and decide you just have to go. I tried to outrun one last week. Barely made it back to the shore before the bottom fell out. Wind capsized the boat while it was under bare poles.

#131 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Going, going....

#132 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

Wind capsized the boat barepoled while on the water with you on it, or was it on the trailer onshore? (of course that wouldn´t be a capsize)

I had taken the boat up the beach a bit and dropped all sails. The wind blew it completely over, not turtled mind you, as it could only go over so far on the ground.  So technically I guess you're right - it wasn't a "capsize" but rather a "turn over."

#133 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

Bravo!

#134 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:43 AM

We should be able to do this. Maybe not me, being old, fat and lazy but someone could.

http://sailinganarch...it-was-awesome/

Some facts of interest about our race:

• Fastest average speed over 100m: 14.68 kts

• Fastest instantaneous speed:  15.4 kts

• 1st in Double-handed division

• 43rd out of 317 in overall ORR results

#135 krash

krash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

I've done some crazy distance races and other adventures.  But I am NOT going to do the Chi-Mac race on a Weta...

#136 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

:D  I meant that level of performance.

What's the fastest you've ever sailed 100 miles? Any body of water. I'll take a guesstimation. What boat?

#137 tsw

tsw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, kung fu, volleyball

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

So what if we set up a Weta Mackinaw-to-St. Ignace-or-Mackinaw to Mackinaw Island race.  5 mile race across the straits and under the Bridge.  Sailing probably similar to what the west coast guys are always talking about on SF bay. It would be fun to get a group of wetas and go camping and sailing in the UP an hang with the Yoopers (http://bigstory.ap.o...pers-dictionary).

#138 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

My apologies, I had no intention of dragging the Mackinaw race into the discussion. I was just wondering what a serious distance sailor could do with a Weta.

On the other hand, You guys should go for it!

So how 'bout it, how fast could you expect an expert on a Weta to sail 100 miles?

#139 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

Hopefully someone will complete the Everglades challenge on a Weta one day.

I'd guess that with an angle cracked sheets to broad reach you could conservatively average 8-10 knots over 100 miles, provided there was wind of course. In ideal conditions you could probably average 12 knots. The boat will get to 13-14 very easily and top speeds of around 18-19 knots.  

I'm pretty keen to do the Coastal Classic (unofficially) on a Weta it's about 120 miles, on the 24th of October from Auckland to Russel, anyone want to come down and join me?? http://www.coastalclassic.co.nz/

10410465_10152559598270874_8373461784268

#140 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

The Coastal classic would be an awesome race to do.... Go for it!

#141 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:55 AM

Jennifer-Kroon-2.jpg

The Notice of Race for the US Weta Nationals has been released. You can check out all the info and register for the regatta on the Richmond Yacht Club website.

Roger Kitchen is going to visit on his way to the US Sailboat Show in Annapolis, he'll be doing an informal Q&A on Friday night about all things Weta, this is a great opportunity to hear all the stories from the founder of the Weta himself.

Chris and Phil from West Coast Sailing will come down, they can deliver parts and help out with rigging and tuning, contact West Coast Sailing to order parts and ask about charter boats. Charters will also be available from Pierpont Performance Sailing.

Schedule

Thursday 10/2 -- Weta Rigging and Sailing Clinic: Sharpen your skills on and off the water with veteran Weta sailor and San Francisco bay local, Dave Berntsen, who will offer rigging advice and some smooth water practice races inside the Richmond Harbor jetty.

Friday 10/3 -- Golden Gate Dash Hit the water, if you dare, for an informal long-distance adventure race all the way to the historic Golden Gate Bridge and back, beginning with a rabbit start in Richmond Harbor. Then it’s up through Raccoon Straits, taking in views of historic Angel Island and Tiburon. Venture into the rapid currents of the Golden Gate, where if the weather is nice, we will regroup and continue to the Marin Headlands. A second start will begin the downwind ride – through the slot between Angel Island and Alcatraz, jibing around the island to the finish at the mouth of Richmond Harbor. Support boat will be provided by Dave Berntsen. This is a hi-wind skilled sailors only event and will not count towards the Nationals trophy, but prizes will be provided for the cumulative results. Tie goes to the upwind winner!

Saturday & Sunday 10/4 & 5 One-Design Weta Racing Around the buoys courses, hosted by Richmond Yacht Club as part of their Multihull Invitational in the challenging waters of San Francisco Bay in the area of Southampton Shoal, Keller Cove, or the northern portion of the Berkeley Sailing Circle. If it’s windy, local Dave “Davo” Berntsen is the favorite to beat. If it’s light, Marc Simmel is one to bet on. How many visitors can we get to shake up the scene? Promises to show up have been made by Jim Leonard, Mike Mead, John Luzius, and the Austin crew!

The Richmond Yacht Club Multihull Regatta is a local favorite, with great race management, and casual club dinners Saturday and Sunday for reasonable prices.

Lodging options

Berkeley is a cute town on the East Bay, about six miles from RYC, or you can cross the bridge to Marin, (Marin Valley, San Anselmo, Tiburon, Sausalito area) would be ideal for people wanting to get the most out of the area and be close enough to the sailing venue. The cheapest options are definitely found at airbnb.com from 60-150 per night.

https://www.airbnb.c...5/2014&guests=2

The only drawback here is that you can't cancel out easily, so you have to be committed to the event, which is not a bad thing. But hotels are easier to check in and out of and you don't have to deal with hosts - a price to pay for that, ranging from about 150-300 per night. The good news is that this is low season, so while those prices may seem high, they are low for the area. If you want to stay in the city, there are many hotel options  there. Trivago, Orbitz, Hotels.com will be your best guide.

Camping is on the other side of the bridge as well (talking the Richmond Bridge here in all cases) at China Camp State Park. You can reserve. Nice bike trails if you have the energy for that.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=466

Slumming options could include a yacht club member's boat if you can arrange that with Davo, or even Van Rental crashing. Renting an RV or van can be found online with many options with an RV had for about 200 per day.

Of course, if you drive from Texas or Florida in an RV or Van you will have your digs right there or in your toy trailer. The parking lot at the YC is gated and seems very secure. While Richmond is no sight to see, the YC itself is on the other side of the mountain bay side in a beautiful harbor, which leads out onto a great harbor to sail flat water in, which leads out to SF Bay and the best racing site for sailing Weta's this side of Alabama.

#142 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,763 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Miranda for the update!!

Here's a little vid from this past weekend...... first time I tried my version 1.0 of twin tillers.

#143 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

I'm pretty keen to do the Coastal Classic (unofficially) on a Weta it's about 120 miles, on the 24th of October from Auckland to Russel, anyone want to come down and join me?? 

i'd be interested

crewing with you

or in a rental boat

last time i did that route 

was over 3 days with the military

in a fleet of montague whalers

Attached File  montague whaler.jpg   62.96K   6 downloads

#144 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Miranda for the update!!

Here's a little vid from this past weekend...... first time I tried my version 1.0 of twin tillers.

haha love them!

#145 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

I'm pretty keen to do the Coastal Classic (unofficially) on a Weta it's about 120 miles, on the 24th of October from Auckland to Russel, anyone want to come down and join me?? 

i'd be interested

crewing with you

or in a rental boat

last time i did that route 

was over 3 days with the military

in a fleet of montague whalers

attachicon.gifmontague whaler.jpg

Cool! I've gota convince Roger or someone to drive chase boat and someone else to drive the road trailer and dolly's up the coast. If we have two boats it would be better to have one each, bit faster if it's off the wind. PM me your email and I can keep you in the loop

#146 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

those chipmunks at the end of the video are pretty funny!

#147 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

WetaFresh was pretty successful, 8 boats where last year there was one keen owner (Tim Wieringa, who did a great job organizing the regatta). The report and link to results is up on the Weta website - http://www.wetamarin...afresh-goes-off

There was also a drone there, who did a little whoopsie while filming the beach...

1623683_10152286046121169_48227281458330

#148 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,763 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

The DJI Phantom drone has a rep for fly aways. Actually all drones have fly away problems but DJI gets the brunt of the reputation. I own one and have about $2000 into it so I pay attention to these issues. The DFW drone guy had mechanical failure at Wetafest, not fly away. I think in large part fly away problems are caused by everything being on one frequency now. 2.4Ghz. I'm adding a LRS system (long range system) to mine which switches it to 400Mhz and nothing lives there. Anyways, I hope his bird was repairable. At least it was fresh water.

#149 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

Dave,

Nice job on the tillers. Your brackets are a nice touch - able to keep the tillers out of the water when the boat is well heeled but still allow you to move them up and forward when sitting further towards the bow. Nicely done. 

What is your impression after having sailed the boat with twin tillers?

#150 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,763 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Dave,

Nice job on the tillers. Your brackets are a nice touch - able to keep the tillers out of the water when the boat is well heeled but still allow you to move them up and forward when sitting further towards the bow. Nicely done. 

What is your impression after having sailed the boat with twin tillers?

My first reaction was forgetting I had 2 tillers but once I got over that, they seem great. The main reason for me having 2 is that my boat handling skills suffer in high winds and it's mostly due to tiller f'k ups. It gets stuck under hiking strap, tramp or wrapped around kite sheet. The support brakets worked fine. There was no real added friction. But the thing is that I haven't tested it yet in wind conditons I want. I'm also worried that those supports are looking to snag a kite sheet as well. so we will see.

#151 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

They might, or might not. I just went with short rope leashes for simplicity. They don't offer a "snag point" and you can simply toss one tiller away and pick up the other. You don't have to carefully set it in anything. I briefly thought about using a bungee, but quickly reasoned that if you heeled enough and got the end of one in the water, it might stretch the bungee and then slingshot it back at the rear aka... or yourself. 

I'll be interested to see how you like yours after a few more outings. Good luck.

#152 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Are either of you coming to Juana's?

#153 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

WetaFresh racing and sailing through channel from Muskegon to Michigan

#154 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

You have to admire a man who is sufficiently self confident to fly a pink reacher!

#155 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

True.

#156 tsw

tsw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

I represent that remark. A) I'm Dutch, and if was free. B). It's all about bringing attention to the brand, trying to find enough sailors in the frozen north to do some OD racing on the Weta.

#157 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

I have just made a new video on gybing the Weta, I've tried to give some tips for all levels. Let me know what you think!

#158 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

Very nice. Always good to get tips from you.

#159 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:41 AM

Thanks!

#160 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

NZSailorChick,

For heavy air, pre-cleat the jib sheet on the new side first. Release the jib sheet (lazy sheet on new jibe) as you cross the boat or at the start of the jibe to avoid backwinding the jib. 

BTW: Nice to see that you are wearing the harness.

#161 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

I got some advice from Miranda earlier, and wondered what those of you with furling jibs when using the Screecher mostly downwind. I've tried both furling the jib and keeping it out, and find little difference. Can anyone confirm that furling the jib allows more air to reach the Screecher? While it seems logical, I can't say I can tell any difference.

#162 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

I've no idea but I'll make a small wager, should the knowledgeble weigh in, that the question really concerns the Main.

#163 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

I keep the main roughly at the side of the cockpit, since it's working on the apparent wind. This might not hold true in very, very light air days, but otherwise I can't see letting it out very far.

#164 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:45 PM

Sounds like a great question for Miranda!

#165 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,763 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

I got some advice from Miranda earlier, and wondered what those of you with furling jibs when using the Screecher mostly downwind. I've tried both furling the jib and keeping it out, and find little difference. Can anyone confirm that furling the jib allows more air to reach the Screecher? While it seems logical, I can't say I can tell any difference.

I think folks can argue both sides of this but I've raced side by side with me furled and the other not without any distinct difference at all.

#166 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

in my experience

if the wind is light - always furl the jib

if the wind is strong - always furl the jib

if the wind is average, and you are doing short downwind gybes - fuel the jib

if the wind is average and you are on the 1, very small, point of sail where the jib can hold it's shape enough to add some drive, and you are going to stay on that point of sail for a long time...

- don't bother furling the jib

#167 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

You guys are confirming just about what I've suspected and experienced. Thanks.

#168 not growing up

not growing up

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:16 AM

Miranda doesn't furl or talk about it much? 

#169 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:59 AM

not many wetas have furling jibs

and the advantage from furling or not furling

isn't as big as correct weight placement

ie in light conditions having a furling jib and using it well

still won't make up for the drag from a sucking transom caused by sitting too far back

#170 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

That's why in light air during regattas I don't sit towards the stern. I stay closer to the center of the cockpit both fore and aft and side to side. 

But if having the jib out is costing me anything, and since I can easily remove it, I'll furl it if that's the better idea. So far I just can't tell any difference.

#171 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

That's why in light air during regattas I don't sit towards the stern. I stay closer to the center of the cockpit both fore and aft and side to side. 

But if having the jib out is costing me anything, and since I can easily remove it, I'll furl it if that's the better idea. So far I just can't tell any difference.

On the other hand, furling the jib gives you slightly better visibility under the screacher while thundering downwind and one less line to pull during a jibe. 

#172 Tom Kirkman

Tom Kirkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

Very true.

#173 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

I was on holiday last week sorry guys! Miles (boyfriend) at Cardrona in the South Island....

10628309_10152621795080874_6054810952687

Anyway I never race with the furling jib, to slow upwind, but I would recommend furling unless sailing on quite a high reach. But like Pete said the main and not over sheeting the screecher is more important...

#174 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

Check out Bruce at the Wine & Roses regatta....

#175 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Interests:surfing and sailing

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

Sadly, his Go-Pro ran out of juice before the strongest winds and best racing.

Bruce also did a good write-up of the regatta here:

http://www.wetamarine.com/

#176 Pewit

Pewit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

Jonathan Weston made the Front Page of SA! http://sailinganarch.../09/01/wet-fun/

#177 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,763 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

That is one long ass tiller extension he has!!

#178 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:30 AM

Nice video and write-up. May set the hook for the guy DaveK sent my way for a demo a few weeks ago.

#179 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

Weta number 1000 has landed in Atlanta, Georgia. Apparently they had to work in 100 degree heat, think they earned their beers that night!

http://www.wetamarin...ives-in-the-usa

container_opening.jpg

#180 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:41 PM

FANTASTIC!

#181 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

How many can you fit in a shipping container ??

#182 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

used to be 10

in a 40'

#183 tsw

tsw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

I heard this shipment was 12

#184 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yep 12 in a 40ft - tightly packed of course...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users