Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,601 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

Saturday February 08, 2014 | 06:05 AM
Posted by Luke Rioux

Walter Scott Fox III, better known as Scott Fox, was a fixture in the Portland sailing community for at least the last 20 years. The 56 year old was a longtime member of the Portland Yacht Club, and owned The Boathouse, a boating supply store in Falmouth’s Handyboat complex. He looked like a successful businessman but he spent much of the last 20 years hiding a massive lie.

Fake Loans, Fake Collateral

Fox worked for many years as a commercial loan officer for KeyBank. While he was there, he opened loans and lines of credit in the names of business clients without their permission and withdrew the funds for his personal use. Some of the debt had to be secured by collateral and Fox faked that too. He created fake certificates purporting to show that he owned significant investments. Through his decades of membership at the Portland Yacht Club, Fox befriended well-respected finance executives and he forged of their signatures on those fake documents.

The scheme collapsed when Fox was unable to increase a line of credit to continue paying the interest on the loans. By August of 2012, loans were in default and bank management started asking questions about the fraudulent accounts. Fox resigned from KeyBank suddenly in September of 2012, closed The Boathouse, and later moved to Georgia with his wife.

In September of 2013 Fox’s defense lawyer contacted the U.S. Attorney's Office and arranged for him to come clean. By Thanksgiving, Fox had signed a plea agreement and on February 4, 2014 he walked into Federal Court in Portland, Maine and quietly pled guilty to one of the largest financial crimes in Maine's recent history.

The Mistress

Court documents reference “CNB” a woman who Scott Fox was having an affair with for several years. In May 2011, Fox paid $180,000 in cash for a house at 17 Critter Lane in Windham, Maine and he gave the property to CNB shortly after purchasing it. This is the same property Fox has now agreed to forfeit.

The registry of deeds shows that CNB is Cherish Nicole Burgess, a 25 year old woman from the Bangor area. She has a checkered past and seems to have developed a knack for dating men who end up in jail, though usually for drug trafficking. She has a few arrests on her record for drug offenses and theft, but nothing major. It does not appear that she faces any charges in connection with Fox’s fraud.

The Guilty Plea 

Scott Fox plead guilty to two crimes: Bank fraud and Tax Evasion. In total, the fraud amounted to $14,000,000 and Fox never claimed any of that money as income. He has a plea agreement but it does not guarantee what the sentence will be. The agreement does nail down a few things:

• Fox waives his right to appeal a sentence that does not exceed 135 months or 11 years 3 months.
  • He agrees to pay $8,196,181.15 restitution to KeyBank
  • He agrees to pay $1,349,862 restitution to the IRS
  • He agrees to forfeit a property at 17 Critter Lane in Windham, Maine

What's The Likely Sentence?
In this case, there is no minimum sentence and the maximum is 30 years. Though defense counsel will probably argue for less, we can bet that the sentence will be within the guideline range: something between 108 and 135 months, that’s 8 to 11.25 years. In fact, I suspect the sentence may end up near the top of that range. The amount involved, the duration of the crime and the lengths Fox went to in maintaining the fraud will make a reduced sentence pretty tough.

Bail Pending Sentencing

After entering his guilty a plea, Scott Fox was released on bail. He has conditions of home confinement and electronic monitoring. He will reside at his home in the Atlanta, Georgia area awaiting sentencing scheduled for May 28, 2014 in Portland Federal Court.

#2 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Girl named Cherish? Checkered past? Surprise.

#3 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

Club Fed should be a relief after a few months of house arrest with the missus asking about Cherish.

#4 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,900 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

What a country!! Steal 14 million and no jail.  Sell a half pound of weed and go to jail.  Facking brilliant!

#5 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,601 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

a different article said Scott is likely to get somewhere between 8 and 13 years in prison.  Max is 30 years.

#6 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

a different article said Scott is likely to get somewhere between 8 and 13 years in prison.  Max is 30 years.

That's over 7 figures/year plus room and board. How do I get in on that?

#7 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,900 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, i misread it, the bit about home confinement while awaiting sentencing.

#8 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

Humm from facebook picture she doesnt look to bad.... for a Maine chick

Attached Files

#9 Foreverslow

Foreverslow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing sailboats,and working on sailboats.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

does that make him a grifter????   ;<)

#10 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:07 AM

Scott's son put my 2.4mR on top of his Nissan Xterra in 07 after the Miami OCR and was also pulling a trailer of dinghies for some Souther Yacht Club and brought them all back to So Cal. I still thank them for this act.

I hope all goes well for Scott's family.

Attached File  P1271862.JPG   105.69K   122 downloads

But as the other Scot knows when you break the Law it can bite back rather hard.

#11 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:44 AM

I got a little chandlery in Falmouth, Maine:

I'm paying off my vendors with some dodgy cheques.

I got a little critter down in Critter Lane:

I'm digging on the ego boost and meth-fueled sex.

My bank has launched an inquiry,

My Yacht Club buds won't talk to me,

My wife has gotten kinda chirpy,

Cherish says I might have herpes.

I got them Grifter Preppy Blues:

I guess it's time I paid my dues.

What's fourteen million, between friends?

I'll serve my time, then start again.

If I had robbed a liquor store --

If I were young and black and poor --

I'd go to Maximum for sure

for forty years, or even more.

But I'll go to the MCC

No concrete walls for men like me.

In maybe eight years, I'll walk free

Rejoin the lads at PYC;

And the best of it will be

That Cherish just turned thirty-three!

We'll buy that house among the trees

on Critter Lane, just her and me;

We'll sail my boat upon the sea --

Life's pretty sweet for Scott Fox III.

#12 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:16 AM

Great poster here on SA.  I always enjoyed reading what he wrote.  If he has access to a computer hopefully we will hear from him again.  He owned a J105 and had a hell of a mess at a mark during a Key West race week.  It definitely was one crash to look at as the sprit extended being part of the issue and no where to go as his boat speed was more than the boat in front of him......problem of one design racing.  He also owned a FT10.  

His son should be done with at least his undergrad if not further so this shouldn't affect the son too much.  Sad news.  He was also an early advertiser on SA and a big reason the forum was split up with Dinghy Anarchy.  

It does make me think twice about some of you other posters....exactly what do you do for a living?

#13 slip knot

slip knot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Education obtained from the proceeds of crime.
Wouldn't the son have to give back his education, same as if it were a stolen car he was driving?

#14 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

Key bank didn't have a loan committee or auditors???

#15 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

how to UN-educate Slip ?

electric shock to the cranium?

#16 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Great poster here on SA.  I always enjoyed reading what he wrote.  If he has access to a computer hopefully we will hear from him again.  He owned a J105 and had a hell of a mess at a mark during a Key West race week.  It definitely was one crash to look at as the sprit extended being part of the issue and no where to go as his boat speed was more than the boat in front of him......problem of one design racing.  He also owned a FT10.  

His son should be done with at least his undergrad if not further so this shouldn't affect the son too much.  Sad news.  He was also an early advertiser on SA and a big reason the forum was split up with Dinghy Anarchy.  

It does make me think twice about some of you other posters....exactly what do you do for a living?

if the boat is eq/gt 105 there's a probability  that there crime is white collar as opposed to the alternatives 

#17 slip knot

slip knot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

Maybe the education money was a loan from first marblehead?

#18 Paul Romain Tober

Paul Romain Tober

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Lots of us here know Mr. Fox.

#19 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,601 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

I can assuredly say that it does.  Plus a white-collar criminal who stole millions!  I think there are a lot of guys in the Northeast that fit that description, don't you? ;)

#20 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,601 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

And lots of us know his kids, too, and hope that they get through the shit this situation throws at them as quickly as possible.  No fun having a dad in prison, but some of us have worse!

#21 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,900 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Key bank didn't have a loan committee or auditors???

Bankers are not the brightest bulbs.  When Peoples Bank bought Norwich Savings Bank, they assumed the debt on a commercial condo project in my town that was intended to be retail on the first floor and offices above.  Many of the units were unfinished, including no wiring or drywall yet.  It took me ten years to sell out the project.  I kept bringing them reasonable offers, but they rejected most, because they had their appraisals and their banking rules.  So for ten years they threw more good money after bad, paying taxes and condo fees, instead of cutting their losses and moving on.  I think the only smart bankers are the wall street crooks, who wrecked the economy, while knowing that if they got caught, their pals in DC would protect them, which is exactly what happened....

#22 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

I can assuredly say that it does.  Plus a white-collar criminal who stole millions!  I think there are a lot of guys in the Northeast that fit that description, don't you? ;)

And lots of Lawyers too......eh Clean

#23 dcbsheb

dcbsheb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

And lots of Lawyers too......eh Clean
Now don't go and get yourself put on timeout again.

#24 Kitty in Drag

Kitty in Drag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

He was a poser on the race course... and a poser in life.

#25 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Lots of us here know Mr. Fox..  No fun having a dad in prison, but some of us have worse!

No fun having a dad in prison, but some of us have worse!

Like his kids. They're better off having their scumbag father in prison than at home teaching them to be like him

#26 gregj1

gregj1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

he starts this scheme in '96 when he had declared income of $134,000

I don't know him and I feel sorry for his wife and kids but, this guy is just a greedy douche bag

#27 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Many people feel that "perception is reality".

Stories like this *may* reinforce the perception among non-sailors that yacht clubs (and by association, sailing) are for rich, white, dishonest assholes.

I know for a fact, that if any of my co-workers got their hands on this article, that I would endure no end of un-subtle jokes and ribbing about my finances and integrity.

#28 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

I hear you, but you're biased because you're a member of the sailing community. Non-sailors might look at this through a different lens.

#29 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

I guess the difference between supporting someone and attacking someone is if they post and advertise here.

#30 Dick Ishuge

Dick Ishuge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

Plenty of douch baggery from boathouse.

#31 snakepliskin

snakepliskin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Wow. Ive known the Fox family for more than 20 years, this is absolutey devastating and I am really thinking about his family right now. Not everyone got along with Scott but I've always known him to be extremely gregarious, absolutely dedicated to his family, an important member of the gulf of maine sailing community back to the 70's, and an absolutely unsung hero to youth sailing in Maine and New England. The sailing programs and events he has supported and started and lend his considerable energy to are countless. Both his kids are out of college I believe by this point, so that is some good news. 

#32 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

As far as the sailing aspect of the man's life goes - one thing for sure, the media coverage will most certainly focus on "YACHTSMAN goes bad" and will show every image of him or anyone else they can get onboard a big sailboat - it gives the story a 'hook' much like the little 'love-nest' aspect.

Give'em Dirty laundry !

As an aside, a cynical (oft-divorced) associate of mine once remarked, of the women he knew:
"They don't care where it comes from, as long as you spend it on THEM." -- sometimes I wonder how many sailing crews are in that same boat. How many of us have crewed for crooks ? (turns out I did on occasion) or, (for example) Do any of the Numbers gang give a crap that the gourmet lunches and exotic sails are paid for by people buckling under ridiculous student debt ? or that the proliferation of 'easy money' has distorted any sense of fiscal accountability in higher education ?

I sure doubt it.

#33 slip knot

slip knot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Wow. Ive known the Fox family for more than 20 years, this is absolutey devastating and I am really thinking about his family right now. Not everyone got along with Scott but I've always known him to be extremely gregarious, absolutely dedicated to his family, an important member of the gulf of maine sailing community back to the 70's, and an absolutely unsung hero to youth sailing in Maine and New England. The sailing programs and events he has supported and started and lend his considerable energy to are countless. Both his kids are out of college I believe by this point, so that is some good news. 

It's pretty easy to be a nice, easy going guy when you are playing with millions of dollars that isn't yours, and that you have no intention of paying back.

#34 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

It's pretty easy to be a nice, easy going guy when you are playing with millions of dollars that isn't yours, and that you have no intention of paying back.

What do you mean?  About half the money stolen was used to pay the interest on the improper loans and it fell apart when he couldn't get a loan to keep the improper loans current.  He intended to pay it back.  The problem was he could not steal any more money to do it.

#35 snakepliskin

snakepliskin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

Not offering any justifications, just my personal observations.

#36 slip knot

slip knot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

What do you mean?  About half the money stolen was used to pay the interest on the improper loans and it fell apart when he couldn't get a loan to keep the improper loans current.  He intended to pay it back.  The problem was he could not steal any more money to do it.
Correct.
I should have said that he intended to pay the stolen loans back with stolen money, not that he didn't intend I pay them back at all.
I guess that's a big difference?
Still, as I said, it's easy to play the cool guy when you are playing with someone else's millions.

#37 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Garnacha. Gunk-holing.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

I should have said that he intended to pay the stolen loans back with stolen money, not that he didn't intend I pay them back at all.
I guess that's a big difference?

Only if you want to be nit-picky about it.  haha

#38 islandplanet

islandplanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

So 8 to 13 and likely out early for good conduct I'm guessing. Some years ago a friend of mine went to visit a buddy who was doing time in "Club Fed" for a non-violent felony drug bust. The visit was nothing like you see in the movies where you're on opposite sides of a glass window. They were hanging out in a recreation room and he met some of the other inmates, most of whom were well educated white collar felons. Some made the most of their time. The funniest part was one guy he met who said that prison was the best thing that happened to him. He was playing tennis almost every day and getting into shape. He talked about his blood pressure and cholesterol levels greatly improving and feeling much better than he had before being locked up. 

#39 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

What a greedy fuck, though.  If I was a sailor (and I am ) that had acquired millions of bucks illegally  (I haven't) I would buy a massive blue water boat and never drop anchor in a country that had an extradition treaty with the US.  What kept him around?  A strumpet named Cherish?  Haha.  What a plonker.

#40 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,601 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

So 8 to 13 and likely out early for good conduct I'm guessing. Some years ago a friend of mine went to visit a buddy who was doing time in "Club Fed" for a non-violent felony drug bust. The visit was nothing like you see in the movies where you're on opposite sides of a glass window. They were hanging out in a recreation room and he met some of the other inmates, most of whom were well educated white collar felons. Some made the most of their time. The funniest part was one guy he met who said that prison was the best thing that happened to him. He was playing tennis almost every day and getting into shape. He talked about his blood pressure and cholesterol levels greatly improving and feeling much better than he had before being locked up. 

Easy to get into shape in prison, but not easy to do much else.  Don't underestimate the mental toll it takes either or the speed with which you age inside; even a relatively lax prison is still prison.  If you haven't been locked up, I recommend you don't opine on how easy it is.  It ain't.  

Average federal prisoner gets about 13% off for good conduct.  As said before, there is no 'early release' or parole - just that conduct discount.  As also said before, the max sentence is 30 years and there is nothing keeping the judge from ordering that.

#41 TheDeerHunter

TheDeerHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

&nbsp;

&nbsp;
Plus he gets to expand his sexual horizons. In the land where part time book keepers steal 300K from a church and lunch ladies manage to steal funds from a school district the bank is lucky it wasn't more. Very poor internal controls and I am surprised they didn't sweep this away just to save face. How it wasn't caught by the audit team and the loan review team shocks me. In my day anything over a mil had to get two signatures and go to loan review. Would not be surprised if others were involved and if he is roaming amongst us at Key West in 6 years.

#42 Ship o' Fools

Ship o' Fools

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

"A man with a briefcase can steal more money than any man with a gun" -Don Henley

When Scott Fox posted on SA, there were a lot of Fox haters.  I am surprised by the restraint.

#43 Blitz

Blitz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

And he bailed out. Wonder where that money came from? Maybe they should have frozen his assets since he has to pay back millions. He is still spending cash on himself. Wonder how much bail was.

#44 dcbsheb

dcbsheb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

Don't underestimate the mental toll it takes either or the speed with which you age inside; even a relatively lax prison is still prison.  If you haven't been locked up, I recommend you don't opine on how easy it is.  It ain't.  

^^^ This ^^^^

There is such a thing as doing hard time, but there is no such thing as doing easy time.

#45 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

Yeah Bernie M had the same problem. Small consolation if you're the one that got ripped off.

#46 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:38 PM

"A man with a briefcase can steal more money than any man with a gun" -Don Henley

When Scott Fox posted on SA, there were a lot of Fox haters.  I am surprised by the restraint.

Maybe waiving others dirty laundry isnt cool?  Putting it on the mythical front page was of no benefit either. 

#47 Parma

Parma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

I remember this guy; he had an FT10 that was offered at $39k on the SA classifieds and I thought "anybody who will sell an FT10 for $39k will take $25k if it's cash in a briefcase" But now I'm glad that I did not drive up to Maine to make the offer with cash in hand because that boat might get clawed back by the courts along with anything else he bought, like that house, jewelry or what have you.

#48 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,601 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

Maybe waiving others dirty laundry isnt cool?  Putting it on the mythical front page was of no benefit either. 

An old time SA'er and FT10 and sportboat aficionado whose kids have sailed with quite a few on this board going to prison for a potential double digit sentence.  That is certainly of interest to the long time SA community.  I don't know what 'no benefit' means or whose benefit you think the front page is for, but obviously it ain't for you.

#49 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

An old time SA'er and FT10 and sportboat aficionado whose kids have sailed with quite a few on this board going to prison for a potential double digit sentence.  That is certainly of interest to the long time SA community.  I don't know what 'no benefit' means or whose benefit you think the front page is for, but obviously it ain't for you.

Maybe next year it will be on the American Greed TV Show?

#50 HobieAnarchy

HobieAnarchy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

Scott used to race Hobie 16s in the early '80s when I lived in Maine - I vaguely remember him - I mostly remember that I really didn't care for him.

BTW, his behavior is classically typical of fraud - starts small, escalates until it's out of control. Says he always intended to pay it back (uh, no). Throw in a hot mistress and the shame level goes off the chart. All fun and games until he gets caught.

#51 slip knot

slip knot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

So to anarchists that actually know him, did you have any feeling that he was up to something, or did he hide it pretty well until he got caught?

#52 snakepliskin

snakepliskin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:26 AM

So to anarchists that actually know him, did you have any feeling that he was up to something, or did he hide it pretty well until he got caught?

No clue to be honest, though i havent lived in Maine for several years.

just realized I also know the lawyer who wrote the bit above, also someone who knew the fox family for a couple of decades. 

#53 Owen

Owen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

A strumpet named Cherish?  Hah

Yes it's anarchy, but please, maintain some civility.  Strumpet indeed.  GOOD DAY, SIR! I say GOOD DAY!

And he posted as...?  

#54 Sailabout

Sailabout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Interests:Engines

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

too big to fail

too nice to be a conman

too pretty to be a hooker

too geeky to be a hitman

all very successful traits

#55 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,601 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Maybe next year it will be on the American Greed TV Show?

Happy i do not know what that is.

#56 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

This story reminds me of a bit from Tolstoy

Pierre had learned. . .that happiness is within him, in satisfying of natural human needs, and that unhappiness comes not from lack, but from superfluity.

#57 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

#58 stealingisacrime

stealingisacrime

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

Stealing is a Crime.  

That is why I have a job.  

#59 Jerk

Jerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

What happened to his J37?

#60 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,900 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

Stealing is a Crime.  

That is why I have a job.  

A copper who sails??  Rara Avis.....

#61 Hwyl

Hwyl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

Scott was always nice to me. I'm sorry that he felt he had   to erect such a house of cards.

#62 stealingisacrime

stealingisacrime

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Retired Cop (LODI) currently running store security training programs for a national retailer.

I have seen a lot over the years and I am never surprised what people will do to keep up with Jones'.  

I wish I could say that I have never seen this before, it is more common that you might think - people doing anything to get cash to live a lifestyle they can't afford.  That is, in part, why theft statutes in many states have become so granular - so the law fits the crimes like a glove, ensuring some level of conviction.

Stealy Out.

#63 Pomme De Terre

Pomme De Terre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

I'll second that...

#64 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,194 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

well ya have to give Scott credit as he found a way to actually make money in the Sailing World

Ummm as long as people gave him credit anyway  :o  -_-

#65 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

She looks just like what she is.

#66 Ross

Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

Scott's son put my 2.4mR on top of his Nissan Xterra in 07 after the Miami OCR and was also pulling a trailer of dinghies for some Souther Yacht Club and brought them all back to So Cal. I still thank them for this act.

I hope all goes well for Scott's family.

attachicon.gifP1271862.JPG

But as the other Scot knows when you break the Law it can bite back rather hard.

I grew up racing with his two kids, and always had a good time with em. Hope they fare well enough and I wish em the best..

Every time I saw him with the kids, he never looked suspicious, just looked like a sailing parent taking care of kids and spreading the sailing joy..

#67 MauiPunter

MauiPunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, soccer, and poker.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:34 AM

She not as hot as that image leads you to believe.

580972_2940363994864_1597998672_n.jpg

#68 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:52 AM

580972_2940363994864_1597998672_n.jpg

Depends is she the one on the right or the left?

#69 MauiPunter

MauiPunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, soccer, and poker.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

Depends is she the one on the right or the left?

smh.    :)

#70 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,611 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

I produce lesbian porn videos ;-)

#71 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

You hiring?

#72 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

This is nickel dime bullshit............We have this person called Kathleen Wynne  who  has managed to  essentially  misappropriate or misuse for her own benefit over $5billion  and  has said  "i'm sorry"   and thus no jail time for her or her Party and no restitution order either........and might get reelected........nickel dime shit storm about Fox........he should have gotten into Cdn politics..........he would have got a statue instead of jail.

#73 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,880 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

Best reply ever.

#74 Pomme De Terre

Pomme De Terre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

http://www.presshera...n-fraud-scheme/

#75 Pomme De Terre

Pomme De Terre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

http://www.presshera...0626_FOX_01.jpg

#76 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

I'll second that...

Poseur perhaps monsieur?

#77 captpiratedog

captpiratedog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:punk rock, freestyle sailing, enduro racing, super moto racing ,old porno

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

out foxed n not scott free  pussy  got hold of thee

#78 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

Scum.

#79 peeker

peeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Location:just moved from starboard coast to the leeward coast.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

He's only sorry because he got caught...he had every intention of continuing his scheme...He got what he deserves.

#80 2to1

2to1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Black Holes

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

I'm a purse snatcher. btw, 'ol railmeat got what he was asking to get. something mildly comforting about watching these white-collar types fall out of the sky on fire.

#81 2to1

2to1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Black Holes

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

:D 

#82 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

You hiring?

Only if your cock is small enough to fool the camera

#83 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,900 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

You're as young as the women you feel!! LOL

#84 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

You hiring?

Only if your cock is small enough to fool the camera

Well I just want to be a cameraman, so thankfully I don't have to meet that criteria.

#85 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Oh, I thought you'd have wanted to be on the other side I f the camera

#86 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

Only if they were bi. I'm not much good to a lesbian I'm afraid.

#87 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

Do you get nervous about those toys they play with?

#88 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

Always vigilant.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scott fox, fraud, embezzlement, boathouse, maine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users