• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Thisbe_8Can9

Thisbe_8Can9

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all forms of SAILING not BOATING. Boating is for people who have engines in their boats and no sails. Current passion is racing vintage, wooden metre boats on Lake Ontario.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

Attached File  1888799_10151987294102989_1973521525_o.jpg   176.98K   92 downloads

In life, if you are lucky, you will meet a person who changes your life; someone who takes you under their wing and helps you to be a better person; someone who makes a difference.  Today we lost one of those people, today we lost Hans Fogh.  My condolences and thoughts are with his family as they mourn his passing.

Hans touched the lives of many people, sailors and non-sailors alike, all over the world.  His sailing career was impressive with many Olympic appearances that included winning a silver and bronze medal; America's Cup; World championships wins in Flying Dutchman, Soling, Etchels and many local championship wins in a variety of classes.  I was fortunate enough to have raced with Hans in Soling's, Stars, as well as on my 8 Metre.  I was also fortunate to have worked for Hans for many years where I learned many things about myself, things that Hans could see and helped me to realize.  "Do it right, and do it right away." was what Hans would say.  "There are no such things as problems, only solutions" was another saying of his.  Those of us who called him friend also know many of his "Hansisms" for which he was famous.  Many of us would try to immatate him and in our best Danish accent,  "Once you have boats speed you have nothing to worry about!" is always the first one that comes to mind.

I will remember Hans as a person who made a difference in this world; he made a difference in my life and I will be forever greatful for what he taught me and the opportunities he gave me.  

Fair winds and slack tides Hans.  Rest in Peace.

John Mitchele

#2 HobieAnarchy

HobieAnarchy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:05 AM

That was unexpectedly quick, but probably for the better considering his diagnosis.

RIP, Hans.

#3 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:31 AM

One of the very best sailors in Canada for decades - a big loss.

#4 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Boats and trees.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

RIP Hans Fogh

I personally never met the man but he was always in my list of inspirational heroes, along with Paul Elvstrom.

Condolences to Canada.

Fair winds mate!

#5 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:58 AM

Such sad news...   :(

#6 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:21 AM

Very sad to hear this.  One of my fellow countrymen, who was also a good friend that I am lucky to have sailed with a great deal long time ago.  The sailing world has lost a one of the best. 

Håber at du sejler for evigt på den anden side Hans!  Hvil I fred (selvom det sikkert aldrig vil være helt fredeligt med din latter rungende.

Christian

#7 Jethrow

Jethrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

So Sad

I also worked with Hans for a number of years and it was a very enjoyable time. My sympathies go out to his family. :(

Geoff Kitchen

#8 TUBBY

TUBBY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

Any one who ever sailed a metre boat knew of Hans & admired him.

Sad news.

Condolences to the family & all who knew him.

TUBBY

#9 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,070 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

I didn't know him personally but I knew of him and admired him all my life. Best wishes to his family and friends.....

#10 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

As a high school kid cutting my competitive teeth in the Flying Dutchman class in the early 70's, Hans was one of those demi-gods of the class and much admired. I think I had a couple sails from his loft along the way. Here is an excerpt from a 1959 Sports Illustrated article that I thought would be nice to add here in tribute.

Not so far from that part of the Danish coast on which Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark, looked down in melancholy from Elsinore, two sailors who seem intent on getting their breeches wet are shown racing toward a finish line offCopenhagen in their Flying Dutchman. Hans Fogh (left) is hiking out, supported only by ankle straps, and Ole Petersen is hung precariously in a "trapeze," countering the tendency of the boat to tilt sideways and, in consequence, slow down. At the point in the race shown above, Hans and Ole were in the lead. Then the wind died suddenly. Hans and Ole fell in the water, thereby recalling Horatio's warning (Hamlet, Act I), "What if it tempt you toward the flood, my lord?", and also Laertes' lament (Act IV), "Too much of water hast thou, poor Ophelia." However, by acting with un-Hamletlike alacrity, the boys got their boat righted, bailed and sailing in time to finish first and become, for the moment, most unmelancholy Danes.

#11 Pearl Necklace

Pearl Necklace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hans was monumental in Canadian and world sailing, and a huge force in the shaping of Toronto's sailing scene for decades.  He will be sadly missed. 

Our condolences to Mrs Fogh, Morten, Thomas, and their families at this very difficult time.

Fair winds Hans.

Brent and Barb Hughes

#12 DonKeyHoTey

DonKeyHoTey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Small, fast boats.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

farvel og god tur, hurtig viking.

-Per

#13 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Location:The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society
  • Interests:recreational gynecology.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

fair winds.

#14 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,649 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

No Hans > no Laser in big numbers> no J-boats> no lots of things

He was one of the very most profound influences on racing sailing and many if us live very different lives because of his influence

#15 Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

This is very sad news and I offer my condolences to the Fogh family. A huge loss for the sport.

I was fortunate enough to have Hans on my boat a few times. He had instincts that I have never seen in anyone else. I truly believe he could see the wind.

Fair winds

#16 LSCM24

LSCM24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

Fair winds Hans,  and our sympathy to your family.  You were a great sailor,  and an inspiration to Canadian sailors.

#17 CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:34 AM

Very sad news - heartfelt sympathies to the family.

I only sailed with him a handful of times but would bump into him several times every summer in Toronto.  Even if you did not know him he always had time for anyone who had questions about sailing.  He was a gentleman in every sense and of course an absolute speed demon on the race course. I look forward to someone sharing a list of his accomplishments but I'd really love to hear the stories - I know he had many.

My Hans stories might be kinda of lame but nonetheless special to me.  I was puttering around with my boat in the NYC dry sail area when he walked by and said, "your rudder is not on straight" in that great accent.  I looked down from the deck and noticed who it was, and jokingly said "is that fast?" he said, "no, not fast" with a big smile.  I am sure he could tell it was not straight from across the parking lot but it took me a 1/2 day with lasers to figure out is was out about an inch at the tip.

Second story is coming into a finish overlapped with kites in about 20, in a not-so-important weekend race.  Everyone is micro trimming looking for the last tenth of a knot (he was a guest on the boat checking the sail inventory) when suddenly

runs from the cockpit like a flash and body checks the boom and says "it was going to gybe" with another big smile on his face.  He was of course providing a good natured ooch in a fun race but I knew then he was a guy that loved (and was used to) winning.

Sail on. 

#18 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:40 AM

Total bummer.

Sailed with Hans in Mexorc on J-Bird.  Dave Ullman came by the boat and asked if we needed one more guy, we were pretty loaded.....Hans introduced himself and I was in awe.  Others on the boat did not know him and I said...ABSOLUTELY..jump on!  Hans was an icon.  Dave smirked and knew we had the good guy on our boat!

Hans had a knack for not being impatient.  I remember sailing into a header and he said...hold on...no tack...more wind ahead.  We stayed on port into the fresh breeze and went on to a large lead and win.  Hans just had the midas touch and was very diplomatic. 

Patience, pleasure and true gentleman is how I would describe sailing with Hans.

Condolences to his family and friends.

#19 George Hackett

George Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

Never knew the man personally but always knew the man.  Rest in peace and condolences to the family. 

#20 GER308

GER308

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Climbing, Drinking, Running....

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Sad, I spent a day driving a motorboat for him looking at Star sails. Great guy.

#21 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

I didn't know him but I grew up in Australia and Hans' name gained many a mention here in the sailing magazines.

He was one of those `natural' sailors.

R.I.P to a natural sailor.

#22 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Condolences to all of Hans' friends and family. Fair winds and following seas Hans...

#23 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hans was monumental in Canadian and world sailing, and a huge force in the shaping of Toronto's sailing scene for decades.  He will be sadly missed. 

Our condolences to Mrs Fogh, Morten, Thomas, and their families at this very difficult time.

Fair winds Hans.

Brent and Barb Hughes

Well said Brent. Condolences to Mrs. Fogh, Morton, Thomas and the entire family/grandchildren. 

Well into his 70s you would still see Hans entered in big Star and Soling regattas. When others may have walked away after a lifetime of championships and competing at the highest level, Hans continued to mix it up with those (many) decades younger than himself. How amazing is that?

He clearly didn't shy away from classes where a little grunt can go a long way.

Leading by example. Fair winds Hans. 

Peter Wickwire

#24 Giles

Giles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

I was not aware Hans was suffering from CJD and am saddened to hear of his death.  I expected to see him on the water for quite a while yet - he was such a huge but humble presence.

Deepest condolences to Thomas, Morton, Kirsten and the entire Fogh clan.  The sailing world has lost one of the nicest and most talented people you could meet.

Giles Anderson

#25 FinnPin

FinnPin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

I sailed against Hans in the Canada's Cup.

He was a tenacious competitor!

#26 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Boats with wings are cool, just plain cool

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Hans was hugely influential to me in my sailing career and in life for that matter.

As a kid I remember standing in his living room looking at the Olympic medal thinking, "Wow, I actually know someone who has an Olympic medal!". It allowed me to think that "hey, possibly I could do something like that one day".

I grew up sailing Opti's against Thomas and Morten and Hans was always willing to do a little coaching for all of us in the squad, pointing the way for those of us who seemed to be more aimless on the course. As I grew a bit older I realized I shared his interest in messing with boats to always try and make them go faster. I remember taking his first ever vertical cut sail to the worlds one year as his own kids refused to try it. I thought, "hell yeah, this is going to be awesome". I doubt it was, but it didn't matter to me, it was cool to be trying some new stuff and it was cool that Hans would hand it to me to try out.

Over the years Hans built many sails for our family 8 meters, and then our Dragon and of course the Etchells. He sailed on our 8 with my brother driving one year when they won the Sira cup (world cup for old boats.). Even when I wasn't buying sails from him because I was using wings, he was always keenly interested in the developments on the cats and such.

When my parents kicked me out of high school for a year and stipulated that I could not be a charter captain in the BVI's, it was Hans who gave me a job at Fogh Marine, trying to sell lasers in the dead of winter.

Most especially, Hans was a gracious competitor. When we finally beat him in an Etchells regatta, he was very generous in his praise of our efforts.

He was a huge influence to me in sailing and I and many others owe him a big debt of gratitude. He will be greatly missed in this part of the world.

My thoughts and condolences to Kirsten, Morten and Thomas.

Fair winds, Hans, fair winds (And I hope you get a lift when you need it too).

Lots of love and respect.

B

#27 Hammer

Hammer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

I worked and sailed with the Fogh family for years and to this day I still take their guidance when ever possible.  Hans ability to guide you in the right direction while giving you confidence in the choice you made was incredible.

Not only did Kristen and Hans build a life for themselves in a new country, but they did it with style and grace.  Hans was always pushing for more, and you could tell by the way he did business and the way he sailed on the racecourse he was a winner.  

I, along with most that have been influenced by Hans feel very lucky for the time spent with him.

"I am 100% sure, I think" that Hans will be missed by an entire community.

Kristen, Morten and Thomas, Remember the good times, he was a truly great man.

Hamish

#28 HobieAnarchy

HobieAnarchy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

I first met Hans when I was the PRO for the 2010 Soling North Americans.

The epic battle that ensued between him, Stuart Walker and Peter Hall was something I'll always remember. Hans won, of course. He was gracious in victory and in defeat.

Later, when I was a judge at an Etchells US Nationals, Hans took the time to explain how the halyard latch system worked (germane to a request for redress), even though he was busy putting his boat away.

I just heard the memorial service has to be relocated due to the expected attendance.

Condolences to the Fogh clan. Hans will be missed.

#29 in_TO

in_TO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Here is my Hans story.

I worked at Fogh Marine for a few summers in the late 80s or early 90s. The 8mR Worlds were across the lake in Rochester, and Hans was driving a modern from Europe (quite possibly Gitana, but memory is a bit hazy). He asked a co-worker of mine to splice up all new running rigging, out of then quite new Spectra cordage. A day or two into the regatta, Hans returned to the store with the mainsheet splice pulled out, along with a few others.  He didn't get upset, but calmly stated that one must learn from one's mistakes. The splices were done with the standard eye-splice technique, not the more complicated core-to-core splice that high modulus cordage calls for.

Attached Files

#30 Rusty

Rusty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

My sincerest condolences to the Fogh family.

I had the pleasure of racing with and against Hans in a number of classes including J24s, Etchells, IOR/IMS/PHRF, 8 Metres - the list goes on.  Each and every time I was lucky enough to be on board with Hans - I was struck with his ability to balance intensity to win, with grace and often humour.  You could fill an entire thread with "Hansisms" (and we should!).  He set an amazing example for all competitors to strive for. 

I count myself very fortunate to have had those opportunities, precious few that they were, to sail and compete with Hans.

Fair winds...

#31 Cwinsor

Cwinsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

I remember being at Fogh Marine one time among many, buying some kit with my then 13-yr old son who was becoming a pretty competitive Laser sailor here on Lake O. The boy was very into his boat and wanted to do some mod to the running rigging that was all the rage on the circuit at the time, can't remember what. Hans came over to ask if we needed any help, then listened patiently as my son, who hadn't a clue who he was, proceeded to lecture him how poorly conceived and executed the stock system was.  Hans just smiled and winked at me, never for a minute dampening the enthusiasm of my know-it-all kid  for trying to make a boat go fast. He loved our sport and was loved by many in it. My condolences to his family. 

#32 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

I only met Mr. Fogh once at the end of last summer at the Etchells Canadians in Kingston. I got the chance to talk to him (albeit briefly) and he was happy to give advice and seemed really happy to be out racing. I remember sitting there thinking "I hope that when I get to that age I'm still excited to go out and race at a competitive level in a boat anywhere near as physical as an Etchells". Sailing in Canada and internationally has lost a great community builder and a talented sailor.

Smooth winds, a following tide, and fair weather on your way Hans.

To his family and his sailing community in Toronto, my condolences.

#33 floating_condo

floating_condo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:;)

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Sailing with Hans  in the One Ton Worlds was inspiring and a reminder of how some of the best sailors in the world are also some of the nicest people to be around, both on and off the water.

Best wishes to his family.

Lyn Hines

#34 No720s

No720s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:sailing, dogs, antiques, biking, gardening, fishing, scuba and of course eating!!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

I never had the pleasure of sailing with Hans but he was a legend and I only met him once at his shop truly a gentle soul who gave so much to so many my condolences to his family and sailing friends .

#35 sgoodall

sgoodall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

I was very fortunate to apprentice as a sailmaker under Hans, in Toronto during the late '70s. When I finished my apprenticeship, Hans generously arranged that I could go to Denmark and work with sailmaking greats Paul Elvstrøm and Poul Richard Høj Jensen. Hans was not only a terrific sailor, but a wonderful teacher, and he became one of my mentors and role models.

Thank you, Hans. You will be sorely missed, and never forgotten.

Sandy Goodall

#36 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:sail ski

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

Only sailed with him or against him a few times but he was a class act and very generous with his knowledge
Fairs winds Hans!

#37 carlwasher

carlwasher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

Fair Winds Hans!!!

#38 Merrill Levi

Merrill Levi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Only ever sailed against Hans, always a gentleman, on and off the water.

Fair winds Hans.

ML

#39 snipeguy

snipeguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Shampoo testing, picking stones out of my tires, beating catamarans boat for boat with my Snipe.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

One of the greatest sailors I had the honour and pleasure of knowing and competing against. Goodbye Hans.

#40 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:14 AM

RIP - Late to sailing I only knew of Hans through that sail trim video he was in with Tom Widden on that JBoat.

Come to think of it, I think I bought a Laser deck cover from his store mail order.........

#41 rebootfkz

rebootfkz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

With Hans sailed the Star pre words in 2001 in medemblik. I can still remember the conversations we had on board. I was a youngster he well respected. It was a coincident I sailed with Hans his crew didn't make it and i was available.  In my opinion he was a observer always looking at the wind water coulds changes and people. We talked about where he came from and sailing. He was very interested in people and easy approachable. Going upwind i asked him if he could tighten the sheet an inch more. He didn't ask why he just did it and smiled. Later on he told every body the story that

I asked him to tighten the sheet and poof there we go faster end pointing higher. That made me grow a few inches and gave me confidence. He shared his knowledge by just pointing you in the right direction to find the answer your self.  

Later on I met him a couple of times I sailed star he was coaching the Canadian Yngling girls. We always chatted a few minutes and always ended with good sailing to you 

RIP Hans

#42 Mike P

Mike P

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:sailing skiing whiskey

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

My Hans Story

About two summers ago I had the pleasure of having him on board my boat. When he jumped on board  he tugged at  the rigging and immedaietly said  much too tight. He asked for some tools and made his adjustments no gauge just feel.

After he left I thought I would measure the tension so I know how to set it up next year when I restepped mast (about 55 feet high). Amazing, to me anyways, was that every single shroud three each side were matched exactly in tension to the one the other side. After the race he sat with us for a beer and told us how feel in the most important thing in sailing and all the fancy electronics ect are junk that distracts from really learning I have taken this to heart and try as a new comer to sailing to get that. Great advice from an amazing guy

Fair winds Mate

#43 Centurion

Centurion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

I have had the pleasure of having Hans come out with us at several regattas and offer his advice.

As others have said a gracious man and a great sailor.

You will be missed.

#44 Bedford

Bedford

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

attachicon.gif1888799_10151987294102989_1973521525_o.jpg

In life, if you are lucky, you will meet a person who changes your life; someone who takes you under their wing and helps you to be a better person; someone who makes a difference.  Today we lost one of those people, today we lost Hans Fogh.  My condolences and thoughts are with his family as they mourn his passing.

Hans touched the lives of many people, sailors and non-sailors alike, all over the world.  His sailing career was impressive with many Olympic appearances that included winning a silver and bronze medal; America's Cup; World championships wins in Flying Dutchman, Soling, Etchels and many local championship wins in a variety of classes.  I was fortunate enough to have raced with Hans in Soling's, Stars, as well as on my 8 Metre.  I was also fortunate to have worked for Hans for many years where I learned many things about myself, things that Hans could see and helped me to realize.  "Do it right, and do it right away." was what Hans would say.  "There are no such things as problems, only solutions" was another saying of his.  Those of us who called him friend also know many of his "Hansisms" for which he was famous.  Many of us would try to immatate him and in our best Danish accent,  "Once you have boats speed you have nothing to worry about!" is always the first one that comes to mind.

I will remember Hans as a person who made a difference in this world; he made a difference in my life and I will be forever greatful for what he taught me and the opportunities he gave me.  

Fair winds and slack tides Hans.  Rest in Peace.

John Mitchele

That's a picture of you having coffee with a "little Danish". Fair winds Hans.

#45 DTH

DTH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

I was working at The Elvstrom Toronto loft in the 70s. One day Hans came in with a funny looking mast with no shrouds, and said he needed to cut a sail to fit it. He flexed it against the floor a few times, then rolled out cloth and cut a sail. That was the first Laser sail, and it was near perfect. He took it for a test sail and then adjusted just one seam. Later on we cut thousands more.
Hans was a great guy. Last summer I told him I was having trouble making my 4KSB go fast, and he insisted on going for a sail, after which he personaly went to the loft and recut 2 Gennys and a main himself. (wen started going faster right away). We had planned to go for a sail this spring to look at the sails again; Hans insisted he needed to look again to make sure they were just right.
Hans was a great guy, and a friends to hundreds of sailors. He will be missed.

#46 T.O. Joe

T.O. Joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:stuff on the water

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

When getting an M24 campaign together a few years ago, we were working with Hans on the water to get boat speed and handling improved.....Just before a big regatta, Hans had the our crew over to his house on the Lakeshore for a pep talk. It was good. He then quietly slipped me his personal copy of 'The Miracle on Ice' the video portraying the incredible Team USA victory in Lake Placid. After watching this he said, 'you'll be ready' . He always led by example, fair winds Hans.

#47 Thisbe_8Can9

Thisbe_8Can9

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all forms of SAILING not BOATING. Boating is for people who have engines in their boats and no sails. Current passion is racing vintage, wooden metre boats on Lake Ontario.

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

Today we will bid our final farewell to Danish/Canadian sailing legend Hans Fogh.  Funeral services will be held today at 3pm in Mississauga.  The tributes and stories that people have shared about Hans have overwhelmed the family.  At the evening visitation I talked to all of them and they were grateful and surprised at just how many people Hans was able to influence and help during his 76 years with us.  At the evening visitation, the hall was filled with flowers, pictures of Hans from all periods of his life, and it was attended by over 200 people.  I understand that the afternoon visitation was equally well attended.

Hans will be forever remembered as someone who selflessly offered help and assistance on and off the race course and as a strong competitor and a true champion in every meaning of the word.  The knowledge that we gained through his help is something that should be paid forward and when we do think about how many people Hans influenced as just one man; and how through us many more will share this gift.

Hans was a friend of mine for 25 years; a mentor for 15 and my skipper for two years.  He will be missed but never forgotten, "I'm 100% for sure..."

John Mitchele

Thisbe 8CAN9

#48 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

John,

It's good to hear that so many people were able to attend in person, I hope that the family knows that there are hundreds more people around the world who would be there if they could and certainly were there in spirit.

#49 MKF

MKF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:High performance sport boats...<br /><br />And going even more radical!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Another one of the all time greats.  A man that was always willing to help and listen.  As said above everyone has a great story to share about Hans and sailing...

Regards to the family, and Han's hopefully your always on a lift!

MKF 

#50 Slap Shot

Slap Shot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Attached File  1518791_766719380014470_7674994714844248390_o.jpg   86.48K   23 downloads

The Soling fleet pays tribute to Hans prior to the first start in the US Championships this past weekend in Annapolis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users