#1 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

good-science-1.jpg

Really, who’s to argue? It just makes sense, somewhere… Thanks to Anarchist Ryan.

An argument against it is; it creates huge drag.

#2 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

Seriously where is this? That way that boat is blocked is just down right sketchy? Clearly they know what real jack stands are as there is one in the front. But ahead of that is a 4x4 for the bow and some kind of fucked up looking steel berms for the stern and nothing mid ships?!?!?

#3 acatguy

acatguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

where's Doug?  This man needs a foil  on his keel!

#4 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Seriously where is this? That way that boat is blocked is just down right sketchy? Clearly they know what real jack stands are as there is one in the front. But ahead of that is a 4x4 for the bow and some kind of fucked up looking steel berms for the stern and nothing mid ships?!?!?

It balances alright. But I agree the support could be a lot sturdier. Midships she is supported by the ground with two shelves.

#5 Foreverslow

Foreverslow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing sailboats,and working on sailboats.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Works for the F-117 stealth fighter

News to me that Catalina has an optional quadruple redundant fly by wire system to run it though..

#6 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

Works for the F-117 stealth fighter

News to me that Catalina has an optional quadruple redundant fly by wire system to run it though..

????

Yeah right.. Catalina yachts are the most technological advanced ships in the world that needs quadruple redundant fly by wire systems.

I have the same installed in my beetle.

Attached File  Volkswagen_Beetle_.jpg   145.58K   10 downloads

#7 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

That's the fastest production 27 foot sailing galley ever produced.

#8 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

I remember some Catalina 30 owners complaining about weather helm and some yahoo built these rudders for that "need" lol. Rather than learning how to sail their boats this was the option. What a kelp catcher. ( I am former IC30a commodore )

#9 012345

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

It doesn't need proper stands because when it falls those fenders are going to protect it.  Besides, that rudder must have some sort of special power to avoid bad things happening to the boat - kind of like the twits that put tin foil pyramids on their head.  What other logical reason could there be for that abomination?

#10 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

I think someone misunderstood the twin rudder concept.

Either that or they were on acid when the lesson was given.

#11 Jackovator

Jackovator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Benbob once said about a US AC team and their attempt at a winged keel ...." only good thing about that is, it creates more area for barnacles to grow on it"

#12 tad

tad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

It's a Juan K concept from years ago....The "tuning fork" rudder.....first suggested for a TP52

https://www.thedaily...es-of-his-new-t

http://www.thedailys...djian-gives-his

#13 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:33 AM

well, that explainc something about artemis

#14 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,320 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:36 AM

I bet it's a joy in reverse.

#15 Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

tuning fork as in, it vibrates and hums at anything over 2 knots... lol

#16 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

Believe it or not I built model yachts with rudders like that back in the 70s.  Worked a treat but not that sure the concept scales up...

#17 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,441 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

There was an article about the concept in one of the sailing rags back in the 80s or 90s. They used a Catalina 30 to test the concept before scaling it up to a bigger boat. I'm guessing this is the test bed itself.

The idea was to give better control when heeled and make it more difficult to wipe out. I'm surprised it's still on the boat some 20+ years later.

#18 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:42 AM

I remember some Catalina 30 owners complaining about weather helm and some yahoo built these rudders for that "need" lol. Rather than learning how to sail their boats this was the option.

You have hit the nail on the head for just about every "sail handling system" out there.

Will some cruising expert please explain to me how in-mast furling, in-boom furling, or roller reefing is faster or easier or more reliable than regular slab/jiffy reefing?

Or how genoa roller furling if more reliable than brass hanks.

I'm willing to completely ignore sail shape and efficiency and safety because I know those points are impossible to make for those wonderful "sail handling systems."

#19 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

I remember some Catalina 30 owners complaining about weather helm and some yahoo built these rudders for that "need" lol. Rather than learning how to sail their boats this was the option.

You have hit the nail on the head for just about every "sail handling system" out there.

Will some cruising expert please explain to me how in-mast furling, in-boom furling, or roller reefing is faster or easier or more reliable than regular slab/jiffy reefing?

I'm willing to completely ignore sail shape and efficiency and safety because I know those points are impossible to make for those wonderful "sail handling systems."

It's not more reliable, but easier and faster to handle. Especially if you sail single handed.

#20 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

I've never heard anyone say roller furling was more reliable than hanks. It is simply more convenient - MOST of the time. And then it is not.

And I am sure this rudder is great, as long as you dont need to change your heading.

#21 Nice!

Nice!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

And I am sure this rudder is great, as long as you dont need to change your heading leave the dock.

Fixed for you.

#22 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

It's not more reliable, but easier and faster to handle. Especially if you sail single handed.

I'll race you.

You on a boat with any fancy improved reefing system you think best.

Me on the same boat with a sorted slab/jiffy reefing set-up.

The race starts with both skippers in the cockpit, steering by hand, sailing in normal trim.

The race ends with both skippers in the cockpit, steering by hand, mainsail now reefed.

#23 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

It's no contest. All roller reefing sucks for sail shape. Period.

On the other hand, roller furling is way way easier and faster. Note that racing boats use it to great advantage...

#24 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

roller furling is way way easier and faster. Note that racing boats use it to great advantage...

Of course, but I've yet to see a Catalina 30 with multiple forestays each with application-specific sails.

I see a 135% high-clewed genoa that has been roasting under UV for a decade, Sunbrella UV covered flogged loose and rotting.

Is it different in your area?

#25 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Haha!  No, that's exactly what we see.

Last year there was a boat out there on mooring with a shredding rollerfulred genny. For at least a week. Just kept shredding. Came loose in a blow. Nobody was responsible for it so it just flogged and flogged. Credit to the Catalina company for building a rig that could take that without coming down ;-)

#26 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

I'll race you.

You on a boat with any fancy improved reefing system you think best.

Me on the same boat with a sorted slab/jiffy reefing set-up.

The race starts with both skippers in the cockpit, steering by hand, sailing in normal trim.

The race ends with both skippers in the cockpit, steering by hand, mainsail now reefed.

It's not for nothing the VOR 65 sail with 12 sails. Changing sails in the long run gives more speed.

But for touring, roller reefs are just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users