J109 Anchor Roller - Exactly how to attach to stem fitting?

j109 anchor roller

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jkalucki

jkalucki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, cruising, beer cans.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

I bought a 2004 J109 last year and it came with a brand new unused replacement anchor roller. I can't figure out how to securely attach the roller to the stem fitting. There are bottom holes that line up over the mushroom buttons, but I don't see how to bolt the roller to the fitting flange with the given hardware. Perhaps something's missing, or this is a roller for another type of J-Boat.

Could another J109 owner walk me through how they do it, or, even better, send a photograph of how their anchor roller attaches to the stem fitting?

Thanks

#2 Expatriated

Expatriated

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:24 AM

I can take a photo on Friday but the roller slots over the mushrooms and then two bolts go horizontally through the roller and through the stem head fitting.

#3 jkalucki

jkalucki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:04 AM

Expatriated,

That would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

-John

#4 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

There should be four 5/8" bolts with washers, lock washers and nuts.  When installed over the pins, the holes on the starboard side of the roller should line up with matching holes in the stemhead.  Installing or removing the bow roller is about a 5 minute exercise.

#5 jkalucki

jkalucki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

My confusion came from what I think was the wrong set of hardware but the right bow roller for a J/109. I'm pretty sure that I have it on correctly, but I'd like to ask everyone's opinion on what I've put together:

The roller's holes are exactly 1/2", and the stem fitting is somewhat larger than that. So, I bought new 7/16" stainless steel bolts (grade 5, I think) with a nylon and metal washer for under the bolt head and nut, a Nyloc nylon lock nut, a nylon washer between the roller and the stem fitting. When tightened, everything feels quite solid and aligned.

Also, do you have have a bolt across the outer top of the roller to keep the rode captive within the roller? There look to be extra holes for just this purpose. If so, do you keep your rode rove through the roller and back into the chain locker when stowed, or how to do handle feeding through the roller? Or, do you just have the one wheel roller and the rode tends to not hop out of the roller?

Thanks,
John

J/109 Bow Roller Attachment

#6 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Looks right.  The original had two bolts, each with two SS washers, a lock washer and a nut.  Nylock is fine, but if you're going to be taking it off for racing, you should replace every few uses.  Also keep an eye on those nylon washers... nylon doesn't like sunlight.

There should be a toggle pin or a fast pin that goes through the holes on the end of the roller.  The roller is a modified Lewmar 66840017, so you might be able to get a replacement from Lewmar.  Tether it to the roller!

We store our anchor with its chain shackled and moused.  To install, we pull the bitter end of the chain aft, through the roller (no need to disturb pin), shackle the rode and thimble onto the chain, mouse the shackle (we use a wire tie), and carefully lower the anchor off the bow.  Watch out for your gelcoat.  We then haul on the rode to pop the anchor up into the roller, as if we were weighing anchor. 

5 minutes and done.

#7 jkalucki

jkalucki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

All sounds like excellent advise. Thank you!

The nylon washers are all backed and captive by stainless steel washers, or between the pieces. They only get sunlight on their top thin edge. I think if they do eventually crack or fail, they can't really go anywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users