15 replies to this topic

#1 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:59 AM

Isn't the paddle in the ad on this forum backwards?

Correct

Stand-Up-Paddleboard.jpg

Attached Files

#2 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

I believe so. Bored are we?

#3 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

..take it to SUP anarchy,,as if <_< .

other than it's original use in surf conditions,,I can't think of a more stupid otw sport than stand-up paddling :mellow:

#4 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

other than it's original use in surf conditions,,I can't think of a more stupid otw sport than stand-up paddling :mellow:

so, say you want to explore some pond, or harbor, or or other body of water, under your own power...

why is it any more "stupid" than a kayak, a canoe, or a rowboat?

the SUP is simpler, cheaper, and generally easier to get on and off a car than any of those.., except for some kayaks.

#5 Snore

Snore

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Sailing,

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

Yes the paddle is backwards. A better photo of the paddler would be appreciated :)

#6 jadearama

jadearama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:AC, Kiteboarding, Olympic Classes, Moths and anything that goes fast

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

In fairness MauriPro dont seam to have a clue, guess they could do with a kiter or two on the staff.

Heres a lighwind freeride kite and board. Ideal for some down the line action on that reef *I dont think so*

Attached Files

#7 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

so, say you want to explore some pond, or harbor, or or other body of water, under your own power...

why is it any more "stupid" than a kayak, a canoe, or a rowboat?

the SUP is simpler, cheaper, and generally easier to get on and off a car than any of those.., except for some kayaks.

Cheaper?  A cheap SUP is at least double what a cheap kayak costs.  One allows you to sit comfortably and has cupholders.  The other not so much.

Only redeeming quality is the ability to see stuff the water better due to higher position.

Which is not to say I haven't spent a couple hours on a SUP.  Comparable to fat chicks/mopeds.

#8 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

you can get inexpensive SUP boards now - a package of board and paddle can be had for $650 new

that might be a bit more than the cheapest kayak and paddle package, but not by much.

i prefer standing on the board to sitting

anyway, i think whatever gets people on the water without motors is good!

there is no arguing with the success of SUP - they have races with over 1000 entrants.

my yacht club has SUP boards for the junior sailors - they love them!

#9 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

5 days no posts in -KITEBOARD- anarchy :mellow:

,,,time for you guys to sacrifice some small animals...  

........................perhaps the only hope to get this KITEBOARD section moving again!! <_<

#10 ozchrisb

ozchrisb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Sorry been foiling too much to post.

#11 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,229 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Isn't the paddle in the ad on this forum backwards?

Correct

Stand-Up-Paddleboard.jpg

Forward bent increases your stroke its been used by Canoe peeps for decades. Backwards would be the bent part bent back thus reducing your stroke length.

#12 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

If you are out on the water with someone you like to look at, SUP is much more fun than kayak!  But I would love to SUP with a long kayak style double paddle!

#13 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

Sorry been foiling too much to post.

How's the foiling going Chris?

Can't remember, are you just picking it up this season?  You have a sword right?

I'm 90% done building mine,  should be hitting the water in May! 

#14 ozchrisb

ozchrisb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

Picked it up at the end of February and have had around 12 sessions, maybe more. I was going to keep a proper log but that never happened. The first session was hopeless, i couldn't even get up and planning with the board in the water for about 10 minutes. Once I could get around like that it took another 4 or so sessions (some were 20 minute jobs when there wasn't any wind) until it clicked one day. Now I can foil around the place and even get my head out of the boat to look around. I still don't have any consistent maneuvers. I'm trying to surface tack and gybe. The gybe is okay sometimes, the tacking is hopeless. I tried one foiling tack and it just a huge explosion the first time you try it. If I can get a moderate wind day I'll work on it again. Getting faster downwind is my current focus. I want to be able to finish a race again! It's a really amazing feeling, I doubt I'll ever go back to a raceboard, and it is like starting from scratch for those first few days. Have fun, and show us photo's of what you're working on.

#15 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

^ Sounds good Chris,

Glad to hear you're progressing.

I'll upload some photo's and post em,  Had the foil done, then did the stiffness test mentioned on kiteforum, and found i'm a bit light on the laminate.  I just added two more layers of 9.8oz uni down the strut and measured again this morning and got much better results, flexing only 2.5 cm's with the 5kilo weight.

I would need to add a few more to get to the stiffness of your sword, which i think flex's approx 1.5cm.  I have no current dreams of winning any regatta's soon, so i'm gonna leave it as is till i can figure it all out.

I've also made some tacking attempts on my 6' surfboard (non-foiling) with similar results to yours... it's a tricky move!

#16 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

...^^...all good guys--just let this SUP thread ......DIE!!

Attached File  ThreadPolice.jpg   39.23K   0 downloadsAttached File  ThreadPolice.jpg   39.23K   0 downloadsAttached File  ThreadPolice.jpg   39.23K   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users