#1 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

http://www.myfoxny.c...fter-teen-cited

"I could be wrong on that, but the reality is our customers don't anticipate drinking water that's been contaminated by some yahoo who decided to pee into a reservoir."

Please discuss this fluid situation

#2 NACRADUDE

NACRADUDE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,286 posts
  • Interests:Various women, various boats, and various states of consciousness.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

Some pretty stupid fucking plant operators. A pint of piss in 38M gallons of water and they dump it all.

Ever hear of a fucking bird flying over and dropping a deuce?

Idiots.

#3 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

Just think about what the fish are doing in that reservoir? 

Hey Woody.  Free water for SoCal.  BYO Bucket.

#4 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,512 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Young Man Urine a lot of trouble

#5 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

That's not urine that's myine

#6 kevlar®

kevlar®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Poor taste.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

Minor edit for you.. 

Some pretty stupid fucking plant operators. A pint of piss in 38M gallons of water and they dump it all.

Ever hear of a fucking bird flying over and dropping a deuce?

Idiots. Oregon. 

#7 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

asstards...

#8 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

"The water will be drained into the sewage system, eventually reaching a treatment plant before it's dumped into the Columbia River."

Kinda funny they're going to treat it AGAIN before throwing it in a river, as if noone has ever taken a leak in the river.

#9 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

I think this is more about making a point you guys. City water departments especially today place a very very high importance on the security of their water. In CA most of our major water storage locations within a city water grid have been covered for a long time plus most water system elements are some what kept out of the public view by design to avoid any interest in messing with the water. I worked for a city water plant for many years in the lab the GOV requirements, testing for nasty stuff and procedures for city water systems are very strict.

Just a tip for all of you - bottled water isn't required to meet anything close to what City water systems are required to meet regarding water quality checks. The next time you crack open a bottle of water consider the possibility the bottle may have sat in a warehouse in Mexico for months before city water some place was put in said bottle and shipped to your local store. Last time we tested bottled water out of curiosity we found some interesting stuff in them most of which would come from sitting in a dirty warehouse before getting filled.

Drink up!!!! ;-)

#10 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

I cant put my hands on the exact number of times the entire volume of the colorado river get reused prior to it making it to the ocean but its a bunch. Use it for drinking water, piss and shit it out, collect it, treat it and pump it back in the river. I would buy bottled water if i lived in Kali

#11 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,824 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

What a pisser.  

#12 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I think this is more about making a point you guys. City water departments especially today place a very very high importance on the security of their water. In CA most of our major water storage locations within a city water grid have been covered for a long time plus most water system elements are some what kept out of the public view by design to avoid any interest in messing with the water. I worked for a city water plant for many years in the lab the GOV requirements, testing for nasty stuff and procedures for city water systems are very strict.

Just a tip for all of you - bottled water isn't required to meet anything close to what City water systems are required to meet regarding water quality checks. The next time you crack open a bottle of water consider the possibility the bottle may have sat in a warehouse in Mexico for months before city water some place was put in said bottle and shipped to your local store. Last time we tested bottled water out of curiosity we found some interesting stuff in them most of which would come from sitting in a dirty warehouse before getting filled.

Drink up!!!! ;-)

People always says that, but at the end of the day most bottled waters taste fine, but in some cities the tap water just plain and simple tastes like ass, though I'm sure it's perfectly safe.

Phoenix tap water tastes like ass, but then it's probably because it's Colorado River water than travels quite a ways in an open ditch.

#13 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

I cant put my hands on the exact number of times the entire volume of the colorado river get reused prior to it making it to the ocean but its a bunch. Use it for drinking water, piss and shit it out, collect it, treat it and pump it back in the river. I would buy bottled water if i lived in Kali

Turd just FYI we found rat Turds in the bottled water. So perhaps thats why you prefer the bottled stuff?

The CA water plant I was at sent water out to the grid during winter storms that was so clean we almost would need to add stuff to it. Winter storms impact water quality in a big way the raw water entering the plant was brackish water you couldn't see through a glass of it when it left the plant after ozone treatment, settling pond, another Ozone treatment and then live activated carbon taste and odor filter which involves big basins filled with tons of activated carbon, then given a very very minor shot of Chlorine to address system maint needs it was sent to the grid in a form that no bottled water company could offer unless they bottled our water and sold it in clean glass containers.

Actually that water was canned by a one of the largest Budwiser plants on the West coast you can purchase it in 6 packs, 12packs and 24packs.

#14 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

Drink up!!!! ;-)

People always says that, but at the end of the day most bottled waters taste fine, but in some cities the tap water just plain and simple tastes like ass, though I'm sure it's perfectly safe.

Phoenix tap water tastes like ass, but then it's probably because it's Colorado River water than travels quite a ways in an open ditch.

Taste is impacted by the minerals in the water and how effective the T&O Taste and Odor activated carbon filter beds are at the water plant. Well water often has the strongest taste of all the sources due to the mineral content it contains.

#15 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

Actually that water was canned by a one of the largest Budwiser plants on the West coast you can purchase it in 6 packs, 12packs and 24packs.

What asshat allowed clean water to be wasted in Budweiser???

#16 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

What asshat allowed clean water to be wasted in Budweiser???

To be fair its the only good thing about that product so I consider it a public health service that at least the water used is some of the best water you can possibly use for such a product.

#17 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Turd just FYI we found rat Turds in the bottled water. So perhaps thats why you prefer the bottled stuff?

The CA water plant I was at sent water out to the grid during winter storms that was so clean we almost would need to add stuff to it. Winter storms impact water quality in a big way the raw water entering the plant was brackish water you couldn't see through a glass of it when it left the plant after ozone treatment, settling pond, another Ozone treatment and then live activated carbon taste and odor filter which involves big basins filled with tons of activated carbon, then given a very very minor shot of Chlorine to address system maint needs it was sent to the grid in a form that no bottled water company could offer unless they bottled our water and sold it in clean glass containers.

I was talking about point source discharge wastewater treated to reuse standards. They dont send that right back out to customers. they put in the river and the next guy down the line pums it in treats it and send it out for drinking water. Rinse and repeat on down the line.

#18 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

he must have had a healthy piss stream... 

#19 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

I was talking about point source discharge wastewater treated to reuse standards. They dont send that right back out to customers. they put in the river and the next guy down the line pums it in treats it and send it out for drinking water. Rinse and repeat on down the line.

Wow so you understand the basic water cycle! Nice!!!

We could always tell when we had a dead jack rabbit or other animal in our water source given our bacteria counts in the lab. We could also track down the source and remove it from the supply. Trust me a dead deer is a far far far bigger issue to water born issues than city treated waste water that meets required ie mandated quality levels before being released directly back into a water shed. However that golf course you play that has signs posted all over the place stating recycled waste water used has a different level of mandated standards which are not the same as what gets sent back into a river. Lets just say I wouldn't go around licking the sprinkler heads on the golf course.

#20 bluefin1

bluefin1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

brackish water? how did you remove the salt?

#21 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

Salt content is a non issue when you monitor it at the intake and when levels become too high you switch to your secondary source. Brackish water is the fresh vs salt inversion zone simply put you don't use salt water. This is another reason why the CA water Tunnel plan poses a major threat to major drinking water supplies for Northern CA given bleeding more fresh water off the Sacramento water shed would result in salt water going further up the delta impacting water quality for cities.

If you want some interesting reading do some googling on Stewart Resnick he's made millions playing games with Water for profit and now CA Tax Payers are being primed to pay for his largest scam yet building water tunnels to his water company to water his cheap desert land he bought from oil companies for pennys on the dollar.

He made his first millions bottling up what little drinkable water they have on Fiji and selling it to Yoga fans in LA.

http://exiledonline....e-under-attack/

#22 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Maybe they should just give the kid a 5 year suspension from ISAF sanctioned events, and leave it at that.

#23 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

We could always tell when we had a dead jack rabbit or other animal in our water source given our bacteria counts in the lab. We could also track down the source and remove it from the supply. Trust me a dead deer is a far far far bigger issue to water born issues than city treated waste water that meets required ie mandated quality levels before being released directly back into a water shed. However that golf course you play that has signs posted all over the place stating recycled waste water used has a different level of mandated standards which are not the same as what gets sent back into a river. Lets just say I wouldn't go around licking the sprinkler heads on the golf course.

Here where i live the dringing water comes from ground water so no bacteria. We do the iron removal thing from shallow ground water and RO from deeper salt water wells. Reuse waste water is irrigated with recharging the ground water. Lets just say i would rather have mother earth polish the waste water than some dipshit plant operator counting on a uv bulb and pumping it in the river especially when its raining its ass off and the I&I is overwhelming the plant

#24 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Here where i live the dringing water comes from ground water so no bacteria. We do the iron removal thing from shallow ground water and RO from deeper salt water wells. Reuse waste water is irrigated with recharging the ground water. Lets just say i would rather have mother earth polish the waste water than some dipshit plant operator counting on a uv bulb and pumping it in the river especially when its raining its ass off and the I&I is overwhelming the plant

Some of the worst water samples we ran tests on were well water samples. Very few wells are properly maintained or properly built just FYI. The only water sources we ever shut down due to serious health threats were wells.

If you have your own well used for drinking, food prep etc - I highly recommend you have a sample tested during the winter months ideally the sample taken after a few hours of very heavy rain. This will give you a good idea about your well health status regarding water quality.

#25 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Now I can say for sure that the water in Portland tastes like piss.

#26 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

Now I can say for sure that the water in Portland tastes like piss.

It shouldn't since they flushed the water supply.

#27 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

The pisser speaks up:

http://www.vocativ.c...source=outbrain

Notable quotes:

“Everybody thinks it’s funny and a joke and I’m going to be on the news,” he says, flicking the cigarette butt into a nearby bush. “It’s no fuckin’ joke, dude. I don’t want people thinkin’ that Dallas is a dumb ass because he pissed in the fuckin’ water. In our drinking water. Yeah, that’s fucking awesome. I mean, wouldn’t you be pissed about that?”

- Dallas Swonger, the perp

Water Bureau officials, however, insist Swonger took a leek in the drink. “When you see the video, he’s leaning right up because he has to get his little wee wee right up to the iron bars,” bureau administrator Davd Shaff told the Oregonian. “There’s really no doubt what he’s doing.”

- Water Bureau official

#28 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,483 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

The pisser speaks up:

Notable quotes:

“Everybody thinks it’s funny and a joke and I’m going to be on the news,” he says, flicking the cigarette butt into a nearby bush. “It’s no fuckin’ joke, dude. I don’t want people thinkin’ that Dallas is a dumb ass because he pissed in the fuckin’ water. In our drinking water. Yeah, that’s fucking awesome. I mean, wouldn’t you be pissed about that?”

Water Bureau officials, however, insist Swonger took a leek in the drink. “When you see the video, he’s leaning right up because he has to get his little wee wee right up to the iron bars,” bureau administrator Davd Shaff told the Oregonian. “There’s really no doubt what he’s doing.”

- Water Bureau official

What a dick. 

#29 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

The pisser speaks up:

Notable quotes:

- Water Bureau official

What a dick. 

Apparently a little one, at that.

#30 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

This is literally the dumbest thing I have seen by a municipality in ages, which is saying something, since I'm a utility contractor and deal with them everyday.

There's no significance to one guy taking a leak in millions of gallons of water and the thought of all that expense "to send a message" is insane. Ducks are shitting in that thing all day long.

#31 atoyot

atoyot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

True as that is, I'll file that tidbit with the number of rat turds that are allowed to be found in a box of cerial, etc.

#32 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,483 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

This is literally the dumbest thing I have seen by a municipality in ages, which is saying something, since I'm a utility contractor and deal with them everyday.

There's no significance to one guy taking a leak in millions of gallons of water and the thought of all that expense "to send a message" is insane. Ducks are shitting in that thing all day long.

I looked up that utility's average daily. 80 million per day winter, 110 summer, and they have way, way, more than they know what to do with during spring run-off. 

Not sure which is sillier, dumping because someone peed in a pond that big or thinking 38 million gallons is a lot of water.

#33 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

News today said the reason for the dump was even though actual contamination is infinitesimal they were worried about the "consumers confidence in the quality of the water".

Seriously.

#34 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:42 PM

It's Portland.  FFS.  Go check their teeth.  They don't fluoridate their water for gods sake, its bad for the water.  

#35 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:47 PM

News today said the reason for the dump was even though actual contamination is infinitesimal they were worried about the "consumers confidence in the quality of the water".
Seriously.

I think they were also worried about the rash of sicknesses after drinking the water from hypochondriacs and/or scammers. They probably figured the easiest safest and cheapest thing to do was dump all the water.

#36 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,483 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

Seriously.

Might be talking about their own concern of a shitstorm of faux outrage by doing nothing.

We, the public, behave a lot like spoiled brats..sometimes. 

#37 Owen

Owen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

Salt content is a non issue when you monitor it at the intake and when levels become too high you switch to your secondary source. Brackish water is the fresh vs salt inversion zone simply put you don't use salt water. This is another reason why the CA water Tunnel plan poses a major threat to major drinking water supplies for Northern CA given bleeding more fresh water off the Sacramento water shed would result in salt water going further up the delta impacting water quality for cities.

If you want some interesting reading do some googling on Stewart Resnick he's made millions playing games with Water for profit and now CA Tax Payers are being primed to pay for his largest scam yet building water tunnels to his water company to water his cheap desert land he bought from oil companies for pennys on the dollar.

He made his first millions bottling up what little drinkable water they have on Fiji and selling it to Yoga fans in LA.

http://exiledonline....e-under-attack/

Interesting as usual, bulb20guy!  

, , , , , , , , , , , , , 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . 

- - - - - - - - - - -  

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ! 

Those are for you to copy and paste as needed.   :)

#38 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

Quite a while ago in Seattle, some kid and his dog got over/around the fence to one of our reservoirs to go for a swim.  They completely dumped and cleaned that as well, then sent his parents a bill.

But I agree, this kid in Oregon is a dick.

#39 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

It's Portland.  FFS.  Go check their teeth.  They don't fluoridate their water for gods sake, its bad for the water.  

Is the chicken local?    Was the kid pissing in the reservoir a vegan?

#40 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

Seriously.

Might be talking about their own concern of a shitstorm of faux outrage by doing nothing.

We, the public, behave a lot like spoiled brats..sometimes. 
I took a public admin course once and the instructor offered the following formula for use when estimating the impact of any event in a community.

Community Impact = actual impact x community perception of the impact raised to the 10th power.

That concept stood me in good stead for my entire career.

#41 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,483 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:33 AM

Looking at the incredible water shed Portland set up and draws from, of which they only utilize a small fraction of capacity much of the time, I wonder if they know that there stuff is pure gold in CA. 

I suspect it would take a 10' pipe to handle their extra water right at the moment. Just from Portland's shed. 

#42 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

#43 Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

I know that lake,

, backpacked around  the edge, on the way to someplace else,  a long time ago,
(, and a galaxy far away ).

It's just a lake in the PNW Wetside forest, with all that entails,, trees falling over, animals, alive or not, fish poo,  etc, etc.

<_< so somebody took a whiz,,& they drain the freakin' lake.

nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk

:o , if they happened to find video from  35~40 yrs ago,

, that showed the "goings on" involving a hippy chick & some long-hair dude in that lake.

, it would be a massive heart attack, right there at the monitor.

#44 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

I looked up that utility's average daily. 80 million per day winter, 110 summer, and they have way, way, more than they know what to do with during spring run-off. 

Not sure which is sillier, dumping because someone peed in a pond that big or thinking 38 million gallons is a lot of water.

The position is that 38 million gallons isn't a lot of whatever compared to a guy taking a leak is the same level of hilariousness as the decision to dump it.

This is a completely idiotic action no matter how anyone chooses to frame it and is symbolic of how stupid we are as a people. It's a waste, and waste is stupid.

The public needs to be outraged sometimes. And then told to STFU.

#45 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

A sailing friend of mine who had a hanger in England that specialized in doing overhauls on classic aircraft. He was expecting an old Grumman Mallard seaplane to arrive from Monte Carlo for an engine rebuild and annual. The owner of the plane had bought it on a whim thinking that being able to land it just outside the harbor and come taxiing into the inner harbor would be as impressive as having a big yacht and make him the toast of the town. Sadly, the authorities totally disallowed him in operating the plane in their waters. He ran into similar sentiment everywhere he flew it and was always forced to land at the not so cool airfields. His son had gotten checked out to fly the plane but not for water landings or takeoffs due to the paranoia of the civil and national authorities. 

The son was tasked with flying the Mallard to me friends shop and decided to take his trophy wife along for the ride. The plan was for the plane to remain with my friend who would try and broker it as the plane was no longer very high on the families priorities if they couldn't show it off to their yachting friends. They were running a bit behind schedule but still on track for an evening arrival just before dusk and the wife looked down to see a nice long narrow lake as they descended on their approach for landing. She suggested that her husband land the Mallard on the lake since it would probably be the last chance to do so and he told her he was not checked out for that skill. An argument ensued and she taunted him with 'how hard can it be?' and finally pulled her mink coat and silk blouse open to display her impressive breasts with the final plea, "If you want to play with these tonight, you WILL land this plane on that nice calm little lake!"

In the flat fading light he made a very conservative pattern and as he approached the surface he was surprised at the clarity of the water and the glass calm on the surface left him with no depth perception as to how far he was from the surface. He flared and stalled a bit high and they plane hit hard and nosed over and they were fortunate to get out before the poor abused Mallard sank to the bottom of what turned out to be the reservoir for a big bottled water company. They made it ashore and hiked a short ways before catching a cab and going to a guesthouse to get dried out and warmed up. Never mentioned a thing to anyone about the incident and went to bed.

My friend was growing worried when they had not landed at his strip by the time it got dark but figured the spoiled rich son had landed somewhere enroute so as to not do any night flying, especially at an unfamiliar field. A call would have been nice but that would have required consideration, something that is in short supply in spoiled kids. 

Next morning, my friend got a phone call from the water company asking if he were missing any aircraft since the lake was right on the glideslope to the airfield. Mike said that one was over due and why were they asking and they said there was a fuel slick spreading across the surface of their precious reservoir and would he come take a look. They rowed out in a little rowboat and sure enough, Mike could smell AVGAS and see the faint outline of the Mallard. They were all alarmed that the couple might be dead and drowned still in the plane and raced to the shore to get the rescue divers there when the well rested couple got out of a taxi none the worse for the experience. 

Needless to say the water company was not pleased and brought suite against the plane owner and sent him a bill for the wholesale value of the entire reservoir! Quite a sum but they seemed to think that they had legal grounds for such an action. Mike and his team salvaged the plane which had little damage other that being immersed and took it to his shop to pickle the engines and do water mitigation. Mike was a barrister as well and ended up representing the owner and eventually negotiated the fine for the lost drinking water and bought the plane for a pittance and the cost of the salvage work. He certainly took better care the plane and eventually flew it Trans-At to get a repower somewhere in Indiana I think. I got an invite to do the return to England via Lindbergs old route but had to pass on that crossing.

#46 Ancient_Mariner

Ancient_Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

Portland is an embarrassment to us who live in the south....

On the other hand, Ashland is even worse.

#47 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

You left the most important part of this story out.  Did he get to play with her tits that night or not?

A sailing friend of mine who had a hanger in England that specialized in doing overhauls on classic aircraft. He was expecting an old Grumman Mallard seaplane to arrive from Monte Carlo for an engine rebuild and annual. The owner of the plane had bought it on a whim thinking that being able to land it just outside the harbor and come taxiing into the inner harbor would be as impressive as having a big yacht and make him the toast of the town. Sadly, the authorities totally disallowed him in operating the plane in their waters. He ran into similar sentiment everywhere he flew it and was always forced to land at the not so cool airfields. His son had gotten checked out to fly the plane but not for water landings or takeoffs due to the paranoia of the civil and national authorities. 

The son was tasked with flying the Mallard to me friends shop and decided to take his trophy wife along for the ride. The plan was for the plane to remain with my friend who would try and broker it as the plane was no longer very high on the families priorities if they couldn't show it off to their yachting friends. They were running a bit behind schedule but still on track for an evening arrival just before dusk and the wife looked down to see a nice long narrow lake as they descended on their approach for landing. She suggested that her husband land the Mallard on the lake since it would probably be the last chance to do so and he told her he was not checked out for that skill. An argument ensued and she taunted him with 'how hard can it be?' and finally pulled her mink coat and silk blouse open to display her impressive breasts with the final plea, "If you want to play with these tonight, you WILL land this plane on that nice calm little lake!"

In the flat fading light he made a very conservative pattern and as he approached the surface he was surprised at the clarity of the water and the glass calm on the surface left him with no depth perception as to how far he was from the surface. He flared and stalled a bit high and they plane hit hard and nosed over and they were fortunate to get out before the poor abused Mallard sank to the bottom of what turned out to be the reservoir for a big bottled water company. They made it ashore and hiked a short ways before catching a cab and going to a guesthouse to get dried out and warmed up. Never mentioned a thing to anyone about the incident and went to bed.

My friend was growing worried when they had not landed at his strip by the time it got dark but figured the spoiled rich son had landed somewhere enroute so as to not do any night flying, especially at an unfamiliar field. A call would have been nice but that would have required consideration, something that is in short supply in spoiled kids. 

Next morning, my friend got a phone call from the water company asking if he were missing any aircraft since the lake was right on the glideslope to the airfield. Mike said that one was over due and why were they asking and they said there was a fuel slick spreading across the surface of their precious reservoir and would he come take a look. They rowed out in a little rowboat and sure enough, Mike could smell AVGAS and see the faint outline of the Mallard. They were all alarmed that the couple might be dead and drowned still in the plane and raced to the shore to get the rescue divers there when the well rested couple got out of a taxi none the worse for the experience. 

Needless to say the water company was not pleased and brought suite against the plane owner and sent him a bill for the wholesale value of the entire reservoir! Quite a sum but they seemed to think that they had legal grounds for such an action. Mike and his team salvaged the plane which had little damage other that being immersed and took it to his shop to pickle the engines and do water mitigation. Mike was a barrister as well and ended up representing the owner and eventually negotiated the fine for the lost drinking water and bought the plane for a pittance and the cost of the salvage work. He certainly took better care the plane and eventually flew it Trans-At to get a repower somewhere in Indiana I think. I got an invite to do the return to England via Lindbergs old route but had to pass on that crossing.

#48 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

I'm thinking not. After getting her mink wet?

#49 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,957 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

#50 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,483 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

The position is that 38 million gallons isn't a lot of whatever compared to a guy taking a leak is the same level of hilariousness as the decision to dump it.

This is a completely idiotic action no matter how anyone chooses to frame it and is symbolic of how stupid we are as a people. It's a waste, and waste is stupid.

The public needs to be outraged sometimes. And then told to STFU.

Gotta live in the real world when dealing with people. Why waste energy battling for the SOP of ignoring people peeing in the water reservoirs? That's the way the press would frame it, bet the farm.  

They might have claimed that "It wasn't that far away from being due for it's regular bottom sweep-out anyway" though.  Nice red herring. 

#51 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

That reminds me of another story.

For a lot of wild fires in CA they don't fight them aggressively in public forests unless structures or people are threatened. A few years back a fire fighter told me that several air drops of fire retardant were done by Los Angeles in an area where they didn't need to fight the fire and the drops were at too high of an altitude to have any effect.

Why, you ask?

Apparently it was decided that it was cheaper to spend several million bucks on air drops that made it look like Cal Fire was doing something than it was to mount a PR campaign to explain to the public why the fire didn't need to be fought in that area.

#52 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

That reminds me of another story.
For a lot of wild fires in CA they don't fight them aggressively in public forests unless structures or people are threatened. A few years back a fire fighter told me that several air drops of fire retardant were done by Los Angeles in an area where they didn't need to fight the fire and the drops were at too high of an altitude to have any effect.
Why, you ask?
Apparently it was decided that it was cheaper to spend several million bucks on air drops that made it look like Cal Fire was doing something than it was to mount a PR campaign to explain to the public why the fire didn't need to be fought in that area.

Well probably not completely accurate, but you're not far off. I've sorta ordered PR drops before but rarely retardant from fixed wing, usually water from rotary wing. The firefighting aircraft cannot land loaded so if you order it and it gets off the ground you generally own it unless they can divert to another fire. If the fire is on state or fed land, they own it. Additionally, drops are not without risk. The profession and the pilots take a very dim view of drops ordered for other than structure protection or perimeter control. So no-one would order aircraft for PR...ever.....now if you ordered one during initial attack or during the fire and you pick the fire up before the aircraft arrives on station, and there is no other fire they can divert to.........you might put the drop in a PR advantageous location.

#53 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,469 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

hayden.jpg

#54 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

Drink up!!!! ;-)

Small wonder the water Company hired you so young. That way they get you cheaply whilst you still know everything.

#55 derelicte

derelicte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

why not just bill the idiot's parents for the 38 mil gallons used. win - win for everybody involved! :D

#56 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

They should have at least had some fun with it. Why not arrange a pissing contest for charity?

Pay $5 for the chance to win $10,000 based on a variety of categories: furthest target it, longest (time-wise) stream, largest quantity, most targets hit in 30 seconds, worst smell, etc...

Then the second level: win $100,000 if you're willing to swim in and drink the water after the first contest.

#57 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,701 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

, worst smell, etc...

I could win that, just need to eat some asparagus first....

#58 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

ttp://www.kgw.com/news/Police-People-may-have-urinated-in-Tabor-reservoir-255521531.html

Apparently it was $175k worth of water that they flushed. I'd be pissed if I were a paying customer who essentially had to cover that loss. Sheesh.

#59 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,621 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Sheese is rite!

#60 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:05 AM

It's odd that their TREATED water is in exposed storage. Seems to me it'd be better to put it in tanks or, at least, in a sheltered location.

Wonder how much deer and bird crap is in there that Oregonians are drinking. A herd of elephants could drop several tons of steaming piles and apparently noone would care if it ends up in their lemonade, but one guy drains the lizard and they flush $175k down the drain.

#61 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:23 AM

I don't have news article to reference, but a couple weeks ago, Portland went on a boil order for tap water. Seems that their city water tested positive for e-coli. They had it cleared up in about 4 days. I talked to a friend there and her work was under the order, but her home was just outside the zone.
Evidently, the feds have ordered Portland to cover the reservoirs and they have refused. Does seem strange that the treated water is stored in the open.

#62 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:36 AM

I don't have news article to reference, but a couple weeks ago, Portland went on a boil order for tap water. Seems that their city water tested positive for e-coli. They had it cleared up in about 4 days. I talked to a friend there and her work was under the order, but her home was just outside the zone.
Evidently, the feds have ordered Portland to cover the reservoirs and they have refused. Does seem strange that the treated water is stored in the open.

How many farms do you have near the water supply and how much rain?

Odds are the e-coli came as a result of runoff from a freshly fertilized farm(s) or else you have far more serious problems.

We basically have been getting drenched this year, right when the fields need to be turned over, many a boil notice out lately.

#63 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,483 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:49 AM

ttp://www.kgw.com/news/Police-People-may-have-urinated-in-Tabor-reservoir-255521531.html

Apparently it was $175k worth of water that they flushed. I'd be pissed if I were a paying customer who essentially had to cover that loss. Sheesh.

They might have sold it for that, but they damn sure didn't pay that much for it. Check out their system sometime. Portland's watershed this time if year, during mountain snow melt? They only tap into a tiny percentage of the available supply. 

#64 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

It's odd that their TREATED water is in exposed storage. Seems to me it'd be better to put it in tanks or, at least, in a sheltered location.

Wonder how much deer and bird crap is in there that Oregonians are drinking. A herd of elephants could drop several tons of steaming piles and apparently noone would care if it ends up in their lemonade, but one guy drains the lizard and they flush $175k down the drain.

Once the plant workers smelt the stench from his crotch there was no other choice, but to flush!

#65 atoyot

atoyot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

....but the guy only put in a wee amount.

#66 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

How many farms do you have near the water supply and how much rain?

Odds are the e-coli came as a result of runoff from a freshly fertilized farm(s) or else you have far more serious problems.

We basically have been getting drenched this year, right when the fields need to be turned over, many a boil notice out lately.

I believe that their water comes from the higher elevations in the Cascade Mountains, above farms.

#67 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

http://www.kgw.com/n...-255521531.html

They might have sold it for that, but they damn sure didn't pay that much for it. Check out their system sometime. Portland's watershed this time if year, during mountain snow melt? They only tap into a tiny percentage of the available supply. 

Yeah, but what does it cost in terms of wages, maintenance, chemicals, storage, etc... to treat the water that they do obtain? Utilities are known for having fairly predictable profits but they're generally not that big. I'm guessing there isn't some gigantic mark up on the water.

#68 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:52 AM

Seems they have LEAKY security on their water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users