193 replies to this topic

#101 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

The 30 point spread is bringing out the thug in Hibbert too. Pacers showing their class.

Sorry, but there was no reason to have Wade and LBJ in there running up the score during garbage time. Those guys must have played 15-20 minutes after the first quarter.  

Sure there was.  Lance Stephenson.  The team was irate, they just kept it off camera, for the most part. 

http://www.sun-senti...0,7305260.story

Blaming the victim. What the Heat did to them in game 6 may qualify as child abuse in one or two of our more civilized states. 

#102 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

The 30 point spread is bringing out the thug in Hibbert too. Pacers showing their class.

Sorry, but there was no reason to have Wade and LBJ in there running up the score during garbage time. Those guys must have played 15-20 minutes after the first quarter.  

Sure there was.  Lance Stephenson.  The team was irate, they just kept it off camera, for the most part. 

Blaming the victim. What the Heat did to them in game 6 may qualify as child abuse in one or two of our more civilized states. 

It was fun to watch.  Stephenson is going to be a star in Milwaukee next year.  

Re Pacers coaching candidates, I'm surprised nobody ever mentions Bob McAdoo.  Perhaps he's too much of a Riley guy to want to leave Miami, or he's too old to make the change, After 18 years as an assistant, not to mention three rings, I'd think he would get the call at some point.  

#103 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

It was fun to watch.  Stephenson is going to be a star in Milwaukee next year.  

Re Pacers coaching candidates, I'm surprised nobody ever mentions Bob McAdoo.  Perhaps he's too much of a Riley guy to want to leave Miami, or he's too old to make the change, After 18 years as an assistant, not to mention three rings, I'd think he would get the call at some point.  

Mark Jackson was shamelessly, and rather intelligently (IMO), campaigning for the job all through the broadcast. He was praising and defending that team and Stevenson in particular. On the surface, utterly ridiculous, but sneakily appeals to the owners almost certain reluctance to blow the team up and starting all over again, and sets the condition he needs for his particular de-knuckleheadization system to work.  After fixing the situation he stepped into at GS, he has good reason to believe he can do it again in Indy. 

#104 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

Yahoo is quoting sources saying that Vogel is staying.  That surprises me a bit.  Despite the better regular season record, that team was not nearly as competitive as last year's team.  All of those problems seem like coaching issues to me.  

#105 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:07 AM

Yahoo is quoting sources saying that Vogel is staying.  That surprises me a bit.  Despite the better regular season record, that team was not nearly as competitive as last year's team.  All of those problems seem like coaching issues to me.  

They have a leadership problem, definitely. Hard to imagine Larry standing pat on this hand. 

#106 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

Rematch!  LeBron and those other guys were able to steal one from the Greatest Team of All Time last year, for which he still has not apologized, so emotions should be running high.  Good viewing ahead.  

#107 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

Not much question who deserves to be in this one, is there? Should be good.   

#108 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Should be a great series. Both teams get some time to rest and heal. I am glad to see the 2-2-1-1-1 format reinstated. I think it is unfair to have the 1 seed potentially facing elimination without having lost a home game during game 6 of the 2-3-2 format.

Even minus Mike Miller and a year older, I think the Heat are a better team with this years healthy Wade compared to last years injured Wade team. Battier, Allen, and Lewis especially have been rounding into the form as the playoffs have progressed.

Parker's ankle is a huge question. If he is limited it puts a lot of pressure on someone else to step up. Heat is too smart, talented and athletic to let Parker get away with being a defensive liability on the floor. Spurs still are talented and still could win this but what gets lost in Ray Allen's season saving 3 point shot is that Green shot 3's at an out of his mind rate early in the series to push Miami to the brink.

Sure it was a bitter loss for the Spurs but the Heat don't feel that they lucked into the win. Rather than worry how they are going to beat the Spurs again, I think the Heat is excited for the chance to prove their win last year wasn't a fluke.

I predict the Heat win this at home in game 6. Parker's ankle clearly bothered him to the point of being ineffective in game 6 of the Thunder series. At his age it is a big task for the training staff and Parker to get the ankle healed in the time frame available. I think it remains a nagging injury throughout the series and puts extra pressure on Ginobili and the rest of the Spurs and their age and the tough road through the Western conference catches up with them.

#109 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

2wml1uh.jpg

Betting lines might be a tad skewed...

#110 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,342 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

And I thought it was just me.  Go Spurs!

#111 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

Hell Yeah!! Go SPURS!!!

#112 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:56 AM

Why did they have to put Jeff Van Gundy on the game? He is such a weenie; still hanging on Zo's leg.

The Spurs are the greatest, purest team in history. LeBron has no chance, without teammates or a coach.

#113 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:22 AM

Why did they have to put Jeff Van Gundy on the game? He is such a weenie; still hanging on Zo's leg.

The Spurs are the greatest, purest team in history. LeBron has no chance, without teammates or a coach.

Is that the guy who did that? Maybe if figures. Somehow, he just sounds like an ankle-biter. 

How many 38 year-old guys could beat a bunch of NBA players down the court and pack it? Ray Allen was ridiculous.  Old bones like high temps I guess. 

#114 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Is that the guy who did that? Maybe if figures. Somehow, he just sounds like an ankle-biter. 

How many 38 year-old guys could beat a bunch of NBA players down the court and pack it? Ray Allen was ridiculous.  Old bones like high temps I guess. 
The Spurs and their fans completely outclassed LeBron. He was no match for their teamwork.

#115 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,342 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

The Spurs and their fans completely outclassed LeBron. He was no match for their teamwork.

Spurs lack of HotDogs helps. 

#116 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

I always knew he was a quitter.

#117 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

Why did they have to put Jeff Van Gundy on the game? He is such a weenie; still hanging on Zo's leg.The Spurs are the greatest, purest team in history. LeBron has no chance, without teammates or a coach.

Is that the guy who did that? Maybe if figures. Somehow, he just sounds like an ankle-biter.   How many 38 year-old guys could beat a bunch of NBA players down the court and pack it? Ray Allen was ridiculous.  Old bones like high temps I guess.

He is one player against a whole team, the greatest team ever assembled in any sport, ever, and the classiest team and fans in sports.

#118 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Why did they have to put Jeff Van Gundy on the game? He is such a weenie; still hanging on Zo's leg.The Spurs are the greatest, purest team in history. LeBron has no chance, without teammates or a coach.

Is that the guy who did that? Maybe if figures. Somehow, he just sounds like an ankle-biter.   How many 38 year-old guys could beat a bunch of NBA players down the court and pack it? Ray Allen was ridiculous.  Old bones like high temps I guess.

He is one player against a whole team, the greatest team ever assembled in any sport, ever, and the classiest team and fans in sports.

I have to allow for the fact that was probably tongue in cheek, but even if it is, I like to think there is an element of truth at least. Disappointing to have the sideshow of the AC not working but I thought it was a good game by both teams for most of the game. Spurs needed that one to have a chance. I still think it is 50/50 at this point even if Vegas doesn't agree. Hoping the Spurs prevail but I fear the Heat when their back is against the wall.

#119 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

#LeBroning

#120 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

I have to allow for the fact that was probably tongue in cheek, but even if it is, I like to think there is an element of truth at least. Disappointing to have the sideshow of the AC not working but I thought it was a good game by both teams for most of the game. Spurs needed that one to have a chance. I still think it is 50/50 at this point even if Vegas doesn't agree. Hoping the Spurs prevail but I fear the Heat when their back is against the wall.

The Spurs are a bad match up for the Heat. All those three point shooters, two guys who are hell on wheels driving into the paint (last year Gianobli sucked dog balls)  and Timmaay!  inside. Yet, the Heat did do an amazing job of pressuring all around the perimeter, slapping it away and pilfering the kick out passes inside until LaBron left. 

The Heat are a bad match-up for the Spurs. Everybody needs help against Wade and LB, Chalmers had a bad game but thrives against smaller players like Parker on offense. Allen's having a good year. Lewis is contributing. 

Two teams who nearly always get a lot of their people a lot of good looks, just different ways. It seemed to me they were both pushing things a bit because they had both spent so much time recently playing against teams that aren't able to do that on a consistent basis. Can't tell shit from this one, other than LaBron is a quitter, of course. But we already knew that.

#121 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

The Spurs are a bad match up for the Heat. All those three point shooters, two guys who are hell on wheels driving into the paint (last year Gianobli sucked dog balls)  and Timmaay!  inside. Yet, the Heat did do an amazing job of pressuring all around the perimeter, slapping it away and pilfering the kick out passes inside until LaBron left. 

The Heat are a bad match-up for the Spurs. Everybody needs help against Wade and LB, Chalmers had a bad game but thrives against smaller players like Parker on offense. Allen's having a good year. Lewis is contributing. 

Two teams who nearly always get a lot of their people a lot of good looks, just different ways. It seemed to me they were both pushing things a bit because they had both spent so much time recently playing against teams that aren't able to do that on a consistent basis. Can't tell shit from this one, other than LaBron is a quitter, of course. But we already knew that.

LeBron deserved the boos when he left. He has no class.

#122 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

The Spurs cracked me up at the beginning of the game. They brilliantly punished the stupid Heat for their stealing of kick-out passes on their drives into the lane all during the previous game by brilliantly ordering Manu and Parker to look to finish first, pass second. They finished the hell out of them too, for awhile there. Damn shame LaBron had one of his rare lucky nights.   

So it goes...

#123 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Was a 2-2-1-1-1 series.  Now a 2-1-1-1  So Miami gets three home games and Spurs only two which would be the same if it were the 2-3-2.  Will this old school schedule make a difference or??

#124 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

Was a 2-2-1-1-1 series.  Now a 2-1-1-1  So Miami gets three home games and Spurs only two which would be the same if it were the 2-3-2.  Will this old school schedule make a difference or??

Both teams are great on the road, so I don't think that home court advantage makes a difference.  The Spurs will take at least one of the next two games.  

The Spurs still have the advantage because they are classy, and LeBron alone cannot beat a whole team.  .  

#125 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Both teams are great on the road, so I don't think that home court advantage makes a difference.  The Spurs will take at least one of the next two games.  

The Spurs still have the advantage because they are classy, and LeBron alone cannot beat a whole team.  .  

The Spurs are a good road team. I think the spurs had the best regular season road record this year. But there are some negative stats as well for the Spurs on the road especially against the Heat. Spurs are only 3-5 in these playoffs on the road and 0-2 in away games following a loss. Also the Spurs are 1-7 versus the Heat in Miami in the big 3 era. Part of this goes to the Heat bench being better, sometimes much better, at home.

Without the AC and Lebron malfunction in game 1, Miami could have taken that game. Still there was almost no way Miami was going to take both games from a back against the wall Spurs team at home, so a 1-1 split was the best realistic Heat hope for the first two games.

I expect Miami to take game 3 and game 4 to become a pivotal struggle with the Spurs chances on the line. I don't think that The Spurs can come back from 3-1 (nor can the Heat if they somehow drop 2 at home)

#126 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

The Spurs are a good road team. I think the spurs had the best regular season road record this year. But there are some negative stats as well for the Spurs on the road especially against the Heat. Spurs are only 3-5 in these playoffs on the road and 0-2 in away games following a loss. Also the Spurs are 1-7 versus the Heat in Miami in the big 3 era. Part of this goes to the Heat bench being better, sometimes much better, at home.

Without the AC and Lebron malfunction in game 1, Miami could have taken that game. Still there was almost no way Miami was going to take both games from a back against the wall Spurs team at home, so a 1-1 split was the best realistic Heat hope for the first two games.

I expect Miami to take game 3 and game 4 to become a pivotal struggle with the Spurs chances on the line. I don't think that The Spurs can come back from 3-1 (nor can the Heat if they somehow drop 2 at home)

If either of these teams gets a 3-1 lead, game 5 will be the end, especially if it is the Spurs with the lead and the home game.  

#127 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

Nobody will ever know. There was a lot of whining about having the best schedule and being rewarded with having to play three straight road games for it. A week, with the gaps, and if you win it on game five you got the revenue of one fewer home games than the other team got. 

#128 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:48 AM

Spurs definitely showing more class tonight.

#129 2slow

2slow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:51 AM

pretty damn amazing team play.  Spurs look like they have been playing together since they were kids

#130 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

They couldn't (and didn't) keep that pace though.  Back to reality the rest of the way, I reckon. 

#131 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:55 AM

They couldn't (and didn't) keep that pace though.  Back to reality the rest of the way, I reckon. 

LeBron doesn't even have the class to argue the call when he obviously charged into Diaw. Pathetic. He needs to be more like Duncan.

#132 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:50 AM

Tim hasn't fouled anyone during his entire 18 year career, and isn't about to start now. The bright lining is Joey Crawford really, really, hates him for that.  

#133 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:18 AM

First half for the ages for the Spurs. 19-21 from the field at one point in the second quarter. Leonard had a career game. He was both the best offensive and defensive player in the game.

Heat had no heart for defense in the first half. even though the Heat offensive was on track in the first half I thought Spo should have put Haslem in during the first half. He has been a defensive and energy catalyst and the Heat lacked both.

They were much better in the second half but it was too big a deficit to get over. Spurs won all the critical plays. I expect the Heat to play with the urgency that they have lacked at times this season for the rest of the series.

Miami at this point needs to win games 4 5 and 6. Trying to win a game 7 in San Antonio is a tough tough task.

I would be surprised to see Heat lose game 4 but their road to the championship became much more difficult after tonight. Spurs took back control of the series with a superb all around team effort.

Stan Van Gundy proved himself in idiot again. After multiple replays showing a clear shot to the chin by an elbow he insisted on hanging his flopping hat on that play. I am not sure which announcer was trying to call Pop a rogue genius for sitting Duncan and Parker in the fourth but even Vogel would be smart enough to leave hot players on the floor while giving aging players a rest while up by double digits in the fourth.

#134 Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:34 AM

That was some beautiful basketball tonight. Those guys were on. Period. They pulled more shots out of their asses collectively to last an entire series. Dont watch any basketball really and the last two games we watched had the best of both teams. Going to be interetsing to see if the spurs can play that way again.

#135 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

First half for the ages for the Spurs. 19-21 from the field at one point in the second quarter. Leonard had a career game. He was both the best offensive and defensive player in the game.

Heat had no heart for defense in the first half. even though the Heat offensive was on track in the first half I thought Spo should have put Haslem in during the first half. He has been a defensive and energy catalyst and the Heat lacked both.

They were much better in the second half but it was too big a deficit to get over. Spurs won all the critical plays. I expect the Heat to play with the urgency that they have lacked at times this season for the rest of the series.

Miami at this point needs to win games 4 5 and 6. Trying to win a game 7 in San Antonio is a tough tough task.

I would be surprised to see Heat lose game 4 but their road to the championship became much more difficult after tonight. Spurs took back control of the series with a superb all around team effort.

Stan Van Gundy proved himself in idiot again. After multiple replays showing a clear shot to the chin by an elbow he insisted on hanging his flopping hat on that play. I am not sure which announcer was trying to call Pop a rogue genius for sitting Duncan and Parker in the fourth but even Vogel would be smart enough to leave hot players on the floor while giving aging players a rest while up by double digits in the fourth.

Jeff Van Gundy has had a hardon for the Heat ever since he was coach of the Knicks during a bench clearing brawl in which he ended up on highlight reels, clinging to Alonzo Mourning's lower leg.  Flopping?  Ginobili and Parker are two of the most reliable floppers in the league (but they are very classy about it).

That first half shooting clinic seemed to be a good spot for some Haslem defense to me as well.  I'm not sure that anything short of an accidental and completely unexplainable leak of carbon monoxide into the Spurs locker room at half time would have changed the outcome, though.  

#136 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

It seemed like in game 2 anything the Heat hoisted up found the bottom of the net, no matter how improbable the shot. Last night it was the Spurs turn for quarters 1,2 & 4 anyway. The coaches always talk about effort...and that's smart coaching...but sometimes I really think it's just luck. Come on.....19-21 shooting??? Crazy shit.

I did like the hustle though, especially Patty Mills diving to the floor to complete a steal - pass - dunk when the Spurs were up by double digits. That was a momentum changer when it looked like the Heat might come back and at least get close.

Good teamwork last night. I thought the Heat played better than the score reflected.

#137 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

Jeff Van Gundy has had a hardon for the Heat ever since he was coach of the Knicks during a bench clearing brawl in which he ended up on highlight reels, clinging to Alonzo Mourning's lower leg.  Flopping?  Ginobili and Parker are two of the most reliable floppers in the league (but they are very classy about it).

That first half shooting clinic seemed to be a good spot for some Haslem defense to me as well.  I'm not sure that anything short of an accidental and completely unexplainable leak of carbon monoxide into the Spurs locker room at half time would have changed the outcome, though.  

Every time JVG gets face time on camera, I can't help but wonder if the dent in his forehead is from Alonzo's knee.

#138 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Put him on Boris? Not a bad idea. Miami might be well advised to go deeper into their bench as well. The Spurs are platooning fresh legs on them.   

#139 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

Hard to believe it, but the Heat could be even less classy next year.  

#140 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

My daughters pointed out tonight that in the Apple ap store you can get "The Spurs ap" or "The LeBron ap"

That's pretty telling...

#141 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:16 AM

This one will be over early. Heat playing soft and Joey is calling the game.

Edit. I meant to say the LeBrons. Sorry.

#142 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:26 AM

And lbj in the locker room early.

Never mind -just a potty break.

#143 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:15 AM

I am shocked that the Spurs managed to take both games but even more shocked that the Heat were so flat tonight. Energy from the Heat seemed like a preseason game at times, rather than fighting for their season.

The Spurs' bench is making the Heat's bench seem like JV or more aptly a senior league team.

Maybe the Heat can take advantage of a complacent spurs game and take game 5 but it seems improbable given the series so far that the Heat can take three in a row. Spurs in 5 is a much better bet than Heat in 7.

#144 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:08 AM

Stick a fork in this one, it's done.  Nothing in the tank.  

#145 Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

Whats to say. One team is playing as a team. The other is fumbling around.

#146 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

For the second game in a row, the San Antonio Spurs absolutely blew up on the Miami Heat, won the game 107-86 and are now a win away from having all of America hold the world's largest circle jerk party to celebrate their unified irrational and stupid hatred for a professional basketball team.

Chris Joseph

and on the other side of the fence...

With the Heat having to go back to San Antonio Sunday, Game 4 was a "must win" game. A better description would probably be "the ass taco" game, thanks mainly to the Heat being completely overwhelmed by a Spurs team that is not a team, but more like a diabolical mechanism that eats souls.

The Heat did what they never do -- they lost back-to-back playoff games, at home. The Spurs near-perfect basketball did this.

It's easy to blame the Heat players for a lackluster performance. And certainly many fans are saying they "just didn't want it enough." That's nonsense. This Spurs team would make even Michael Jordan's Bulls look abysmal.

Heat fans waited for Miami to come out in Game 4 and serve the Spurs a can filled with ass whoopin' and vengeance. Instead, Heat fans got served a can filled with some old lady's queef.

That's more on the Spurs perfection than on the Heat's supposed lackluster performance.

#147 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

#148 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

For the second game in a row, the San Antonio Spurs absolutely blew up on the Miami Heat, won the game 107-86 and are now a win away from having all of America hold the world's largest circle jerk party to celebrate their unified irrational and stupid hatred for a professional basketball team.

Chris Joseph

>With the Heat having to go back to San Antonio Sunday, Game 4 was a "must win" game. A better description would probably be "the ass taco" game, thanks mainly to the Heat being completely overwhelmed by a Spurs team that is not a team, but more like a diabolical mechanism that eats souls.

The Heat did what they never do -- they lost back-to-back playoff games, at home. The Spurs near-perfect basketball did this.

It's easy to blame the Heat players for a lackluster performance. And certainly many fans are saying they "just didn't want it enough." That's nonsense. This Spurs team would make even Michael Jordan's Bulls look abysmal.

Heat fans waited for Miami to come out in Game 4 and serve the Spurs a can filled with ass whoopin' and vengeance. Instead, Heat fans got served a can filled with some old lady's queef.

That's more on the Spurs perfection than on the Heat's supposed lackluster performance.

Crying-baby3.jpg

#149 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

Chris Joseph

>>With the Heat having to go back to San Antonio Sunday, Game 4 was a "must win" game. A better description would probably be "the ass taco" game, thanks mainly to the Heat being completely overwhelmed by a Spurs team that is not a team, but more like a diabolical mechanism that eats souls.

lockquote>

Crying-baby3.jpg

No crying from me.  My life doesn't get any better or any worse because one of my teams wins or loses a championship.  If it did, I'd be a lot worse off, because most of my teams suck.  The Heat have had an awesome run, they just ran into a buzz saw of a team, that played perfect basketball for the last two games.  The gap between the Spurs (when they play basketball instead of games) and Heat is every bit as big as the gap between the Heat and anyone else in the Eastern Conference.  It's an amazing clinic to watch.  The next time someone talks about Indiana being built to beat the Heat, they need to ask whether they are built like the Spurs.  

#150 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

They, unfortunately for the Larry Bird fan in me, are not. But, anyhoo, the baby is for the article writer, who is hilariously passive aggressive butthurt. There's nothing irrational about hating a team of mega douche bags, and no, it's not more about the Spurs. It's two teams playing, and it's on both their shoulders the outcome.

BqA09TyCcAAseeT.jpg

#151 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

That pic should have Leonard in it.  He's the guy that is making it happen.  Including Parker and Ginobili flopping, with nobody within a few feet of them, would be a fitting but unnecessary gesture.  Duncan should have that incredulous "what, me, foul?" look on his face, for authenticity.  The other side should have Haslem behind the action, waiting for a chance to play.  

#152 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

I have never been a LBJ fan (political one or the basketball one) but I thought he showed a lot of class in the press conference. Some of the questions were just unbelievably stupid. One guy asks exactly the same question as was asked two questions before just so he can get his mug and name out on TV. Give me a F'ing break.

It ain't over until it's over and if any team is capable of doing what has never been done, it is the Heat. Saw it last year for sure.

I'm hoping that they wrap it up on Father's Day. I'll be at "The Friendly Spot" in Southtown (historic area just south of Downtown SA) with my wife and two daughters. If the Spurs don't win Sunday night I'm telling them all that they let me down.

I'm tempted to do an on-line bet on the Heat for Sunday night just so I'll have something if the Spurs lose. Plus my betting record is atrocious so it would probably be good Karma for the Spurs.

Sol, I agree it's Leonard (and Diaw) that are making it happen. I think the Heat are doing a decent job against the main targets, it's just that the Spurs have the depth to have others carry the game

#153 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

Peyton mentioned Wade had no lift and couldn't even dribble around Diaw, and the Spurs noticed and never switched to double him again. That really makes it tough. They absolutely need him to have a shot. 

#154 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

I have never been a LBJ fan (political one or the basketball one) but I thought he showed a lot of class in the press conference. Some of the questions were just unbelievably stupid. One guy asks exactly the same question as was asked two questions before just so he can get his mug and name out on TV. Give me a F'ing break.

It ain't over until it's over and if any team is capable of doing what has never been done, it is the Heat. Saw it last year for sure.

I'm hoping that they wrap it up on Father's Day. I'll be at "The Friendly Spot" in Southtown (historic area just south of Downtown SA) with my wife and two daughters. If the Spurs don't win Sunday night I'm telling them all that they let me down.

I'm tempted to do an on-line bet on the Heat for Sunday night just so I'll have something if the Spurs lose. Plus my betting record is atrocious so it would probably be good Karma for the Spurs.

Sol, I agree it's Leonard (and Diaw) that are making it happen. I think the Heat are doing a decent job against the main targets, it's just that the Spurs have the depth to have others carry the game

I was against bringing LeBron to the Heat, arguing that he was a born loser who would find a way to lose.  The self-aggrandizing "decision" on TV was the worst decision the guy ever made, but he was just a kid.  Kids do stupid stuff from time to time.  After the loss to the Mavs, I thought I had been proven right.  Then the last two years happened.  All the while, the guy has stayed out of the arrest reports, out of the gossip columns, stayed with the same girl, showed up for bike rides with groups of local kids, and lots of other stuff that never made the press.  He is getting no help in this series, after getting a lot of help throughout the playoffs.  As Mark notes, Wade is out of gas; nothing left in the tank.  How many shots did he clank off of front iron?  Most of them.  This is not the same team as last year.  Sunday should be the end of it.  Ask me to concede and I will say "NUTS!", but I really don't see how the Heat win another one.  

#155 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

He thought it not a matter of being tired, but of a knee flare up.  

They can definitely win some more games. The Spurs have their base D all figured out and are hitting a lot of outside shots. The first is somewhat fixable and the second can fix itself at any moment. At the other end they need a couple guys to get hot at the same time for. A can happen. 

#156 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

Wade's knee could be flaring up, but we won't know until after the season. He won't say anything or use it as an excuse. He will fight through it. If you read about him having surgery in two weeks, you know.

#157 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

http://www.funnyordi...2014-nba-finals

#158 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Ha.

#159 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,342 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

The kindest act that could be done is end the Heat's misery tomorrow.  The fat lady hasn't sung but dudes, it is so over.

Spurs Rock.

#160 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:15 AM

Christ, if the Heat are ever going to be classy they are going to have to learn how to flop.

#161 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

Taking Parker out of the game with LBJ killed them last year.  This year...not so much. Two of the Big Three are getting their asses kicked. 

#162 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

Taking Parker out of the game with LBJ killed them last year.  This year...not so much. Two of the Big Three are getting their asses kicked. 

Eh.  Not the Heat's year.  They're getting beaten by a better team.  

#163 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:36 AM

Sometimes............................................................nice guys finish first

#164 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:38 AM

Would have never guessed such a big win with Parker shooting terribly. Team win as always

#165 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,829 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

Had to do some late night work in town. It is truly amazing how generally happy folks are that SA won.
Even the guy in a Nowitzki jersey was happy..... Although he had to remind me who was the first team to beat the heat.

#166 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Sometimes............................................................nice guys finish first

They finished first because they are the best team. There are plenty of examples of them not being nice guys, but I do not care to take away from what they accomplished by denigrating them after the fact. Congrats to the victors.

#167 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

The Spurs have quietly built one of the best runs in NBA history. I don't think they get near enough credit,.

#168 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Spurs thoroughly outmatched the Heat. in retrospect it is more surprising that the Heat got one than that the spurs ended it in just 5.

in the harsh world of the new labor contract salary cap, when your top players are all playing for less than market value and your finals MVP is making $1.5 million, your team is going to be really really good.

I hate to see the public through taxes carrying some of the economic load for sports teams with the players and owners making millions. that said the players union got owned in the last negotiations. clippers may go for $2 billion and Lebron and other stars have to decide whether they want to get a larger paycheck (but still small fraction of their economic worth) or compete for titles.

it will be interesting to see what happens with the spurs payroll in coming years. the patriots had a similar run of getting players to take less to chase championships (led by Brady) but that run came to an end and free agents went back to who is going PAY me. there is only so far you can get with aging players willing to take less to chase an elusive championship in their last few years in the league.

#169 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

you sure flip-flopped there..

#170 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,957 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

The playoffs are over?  Shit, it feels like it was just 2 months ago they were starting.

Oh, right.

#171 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

you sure flip-flopped there..

Yup.  You got me there.  

#172 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

The playoffs are over?  Shit, it feels like it was just 2 months ago they were starting.

Oh, right.

Severe lack of drama. The wheels came off, or were torn off. It doesn't matter. It was a spanking. 

My gut tells me D Wade has played his last game, and game 2 of this series was it. He took a lot of punishment in his long, distinguished career. It came home and roosted the hell out of him.  

#173 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

seriously funny shit

My daughters turned me on to this site. It's a parody of Buzzfeed by the Onion and really well done.

After reading this link, look around. It's hilarious!

http://www.clickhole...sing-nba-fi-309

#174 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for four great years, LeBron, and good luck in Cleveland.  Four straight Finals, two straight titles. That sure was fun to watch.  I was sure wrong about about him, when I did not want the Heat to sign him four years ago. No arrests, no chasing starlets and/or whores, tons of charity work.  MVP caliber play every year.  He's awesome.  

Get to work Riley.  

#175 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

I'm happy. I can like LeBron and the Heat again.

#176 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

I would have preferred that he announce before all of the good free agents were gone, leaving the heat with 55 million in cap space, but I've had my fun for a while.  It could be some tough times for me as a sports fan, in the next year or two....

Wade, Birdman, and UD.  That's kind of a big three.  Will need Benny Hill music.  

http://www.newyorker...g-him-back.html

#177 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

I forgot about Birdman. Looks like I still can't like the Heat just yet.

#178 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

He isn't going to stick around for a rebuilding project.  It'll be Cole and/or Napier, Grainger, McRoberts, Jugdish, and Swamy, with Clayton vying for the NBA Sixth Man Award.  FML.  

#179 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

You say that like he has a choice in the matter.

#180 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

The Heat want him, but have several competitors.  

#181 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:39 AM

Generally other teams are willing to pay more for free agents like Birdman than the team they were last on. Other suitors seem to look with rosier glasses at the upside while the team that had them last sees warts and all.

#182 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

Dude, nobody wants the Birdman. He might literally be the worst player in the NBA.

#183 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Dude, nobody wants the Birdman. He might literally be the worst player in the NBA.

Bird is awesome.  He never takes a play off, and plays well.  Cavs, Mavs and Rockets all lining up.  

#184 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Bwahahaha. His crowning achievement is being on a team with LeBron James. Google his background. I'm not even being hyperbolic when I'm saying he might be the worst player in the league. Nobody is lining up, some people will just give him a one year deal to fill a roster spot as he is roughly the size of an NBA player.

#185 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

I'd be happy to have him back with the Heat.  I know his background.  He fights hard for every game.  He just looks like a freak. Right now, the Heat have Cole, Napier, McRoberts, Grainger and Bosh.  That's it.  They could use the Birdman.   

#186 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

Rudy fought hard for Notre Dame. He still sucked.

#187 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

Bird doesn't suck.  He isn't a superstar, but you have to have a guy who is willing to get down and dirty and fight for every loose ball.  With Bosh playing more and more outside, that guy was Birdman.  Perhaps that changes now that they have committed to making Bosh "the guy" (wha what?), but I doubt it.  Besides, he's from Texas.  He'll go to Houston for a chance to win.  

#188 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Dude he sucks. He scrubbed around between D league and being the last option on several NBA teams before happenstance brought him to LeBron. As Charles would sat, he's turrrrible. The way he looks is actually the only good thing about him, his play doesn't even exist.

#189 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Dude he sucks. He scrubbed around between D league and being the last option on several NBA teams before happenstance brought him to LeBron. As Charles would sat, he's turrrrible. The way he looks is actually the only good thing about him, his play doesn't even exist.

Charles is a cocksucker with no rings.  Bird was great in Denver, until he got greedy.  

#190 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

turrible.png

#191 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

He does have one ring, I suppose, but I hope I never have to see it.  It's only slightly less foul than the other end of his digestive tract.  

#192 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

He sucks offensively in that he is utterly unable to get his own shot, but there are worse being paid a heck of a lot more, Kendrick Perkins springs to mind, but Anderson, at least, has excellent timing on his cuts. However, George Karl doesn't keep anyone around for that, and neither does Pat Riley. They keep guys like Chris around for this...

http://www.nba.com/v...birdman-d1.nba/

As good as it gets.

Miller is also savvy, but a liability as a perimeter defender. How do they get away with keeping that sharp shooter on the floor? He "knows his limitations", and guys like Chris. 

#193 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

Kendrick Perkins is roughly 5,098,094.09^5 better than Birdman.

#194 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,479 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

Perkins is the only guy in the NBA who can't dunk. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users