Superyacht Mast pulled filmed by a Drone -- Pigeon Vision

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 PigeonVision

PigeonVision

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Kiteboarding, Spearfishing, Piloting.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

Hey peeps,

Thought you guys would enjoy this, its Felicita West mast being pulled out. This crane is the largest in the state of FL.

Hope you guys enjoy.

-Pigeon Vision

#2 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

All that just to pop a few rivets?

#3 klkirkman

klkirkman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:43 AM

When all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.

#4 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

A few comments-

First, that was amazing.

Second, I'm amazed that the rigging crew tolerated that drone buzzing around so close while the actual crane operations were going on. They didn't mind the distraction?

Lastly, I noticed that people didn't even look up when the drone was hovering over them in the parking lot. Is it that quiet or was it far away, but using a high powered zoom lens?

#5 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

Great video once again.

Sweet tap dancing christ there's some money sitting there in that marina... :blink: :wacko:

#6 bait

bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

Way to go Tony and the crew from Seahawke rigging. True proffesionals.

I am sure all the other yachts in the yard are pleased to loose their parking spots to a couple blow boat rigs taking up most of what little parking there is at Rybovich.

Again great job to a first class rigging company!

#7 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

That damn Obama has obviously crippled the economy ! Just look at those poor yacht owners in Flo-rida.

#8 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

Very well orchestrated. And entertaining to watch, too! 

#9 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:53 AM

Second, I'm amazed that the rigging crew tolerated that drone buzzing around so close while the actual crane operations were going on. They didn't mind the distraction?

Lastly, I noticed that people didn't even look up when the drone was hovering over them in the parking lot. Is it that quiet or was it far away, but using a high powered zoom lens?

Yes, drones are virtually silent.  My neighbour just bought one and it makes no noise at all.  All battery / electric motors.

I was just hearing on the news about people flying drones into airport zones.  Certainly very bad.  But given that even a $300 Radio Shack drone can carry 1 lb, I'm wondering how long it will be before we have our first terrorist attacks on airliners at takeoff.   1 lb of explosives would take down a jet I'm sure. 

On a happier note, drones are certainly changing the entire film industry.  They are giving us a view of the world that we never had before.  I think we are just getting the start of this now.

#10 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:04 AM

The crazy thing is that we were already doing this 20 years ago with little cameras and a ham radio FM Tv downlink.  But that was not mass produced and that is all the difference.

It's like google glass. Also 20 years ago--the MIT guys with the ham radio FM TV link attached to their thrid eye all day.  Ät the grocery store, "honey, what do you think of these vegetables?"

#11 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:10 AM

Great video once again.

Sweet tap dancing christ there's some money sitting there in that marina... :blink: :wacko:

Any normal person could retire in comfort for what that rig is worth.

#12 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:25 AM

For some reason, these videos remind me of those birds that perch on the back of a rhinoceros. It's a niche.  It will find a taker.

#13 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:29 AM

Nice job, PV.

#14 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

The whole level of expertise that is shown on this video is amazing. Everyone had to do their job to the T. Not a simple matter to make all the moves and translations to get that massive rig on its chocks in the parking lot. Nice video and really shows just how good these guys and yourselves are at their respective jobs. Thank!

#15 PigeonVision

PigeonVision

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:13 AM

Thank you guys! All comments are greatly appreciated, Tony and the guys at Seahawke Rigging are true professionals. What a seamless job they did.

More goodies to come! 

Stay stoked my friends, 

-Pigeon

#16 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

Great production... keep em coming... :)

#17 Bluto

Bluto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

Great video once again.

The mast they pulled is worth what most of us payed for our homes.

#18 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Is it me, or did i see Necker Belle, Sir Richard Branson's 110ft toy catamaran, in the back of the marina at Rybovich?

#19 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

I would love to have this service at our regattas on the Ches. Bay.

Currently, we have a company called Offshorepix.com that buzzes the area in a sort of sea-plane. They do a great job, and their prices are much more reasonable and other companies, but using a drone would probably greatly reduce their costs and hence anyone else who loves aerial photos of their boats.

#20 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

Great video. They picked a windless day judging by the anemometer at the top of the crane.

#21 Snore

Snore

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Sailing,

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

Great video! Always impressive watching a good rigger and crane operator- like a fine symphony.

Ajax - we have a firm called "boatpix.com" down here that takes photos of boats and uses the documented name and port to send you an offer to buy the photos. The more you are out there, the more photos and contacts they send you. We average 2-3 solicitations per year from them.

#22 1sailor

1sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:'SuperFly' Audi / Melges 20

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Thank you guys! All comments are greatly appreciated, Tony and the guys at Seahawke Rigging are true professionals. What a seamless job they did.

More goodies to come! 

Stay stoked my friends, 

-Pigeon

Pigeon, the last 10 seconds of your St. Barts regatta footage was pretty sporty.  Where'd she go ?  She oughta be in all your videos.

#23 o69u812

o69u812

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

Love your work, BTW any more pics of your girlfriend?

(1) your newly posting here

(2) its friday ;-)

sailor LOL

#24 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

The guy in the bosun's chair has got stones the size of that rig. I don't suffer from vertigo (much) but I dunno if i'd take that ride.

I know the difference between 30' and 175' doesn't matter - dead is dead but still..... :o

#25 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

That bosuns chair ride would be ridiculous.  By the way, were you walking next to the drone on the low PL shots??  Where were you standing for the high elevation pics??  I assume you had to get permission from the crew to operate, just curious what hoops you had to jump through to gain access.  

Good stuff..  Keep em coming.  

#26 phillysailor

phillysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

This was a fascinating viewpoint to an interesting evolution… thanks for sharing. Since this ends up being an awesome informercial for Seahawke Rigging, I wonder if they'd provide a little voice-over interview/explanation of a few of the finer points of the process?

#27 PigeonVision

PigeonVision

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Tony, the rigger and I worked together on this project. We may have another video coming out next week of Zenji pulling there rig out as well. 

There going to fit 3 masts in that parking lot I'm curious how there squeeze the cranes inbetween all of them, guess we will wait and see!

Thanks for the comments & tips we will try to do some voice-over's on the next one that provides some information about loads / weights / facts about the pull. 

Pigeon

#28 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Great logo as well as the video.  Props

#29 bait

bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:51 AM

Yes, drones are virtually silent.  My neighbour just bought one and it makes no noise at all.  All battery / electric motors.

I was just hearing on the news about people flying drones into airport zones.  Certainly very bad.  But given that even a $300 Radio Shack drone can carry 1 lb, I'm wondering how long it will be before we have our first terrorist attacks on airliners at takeoff.   1 lb of explosives would take down a jet I'm sure. 

On a happier note, drones are certainly changing the entire film industry.  They are giving us a view of the world that we never had before.  I think we are just getting the start of this now.

The rigger up the mast, the guy on the halyard, the crane driver and maybe a couple other are all wearing communication headsets. That is the only way to communicate over the distances and screaming from the top of the rig would be futile. They would never have even heard a drone near them.

#30 lelandhubble

lelandhubble

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

So cool to see that work being done from all those angles.  I always love seeing your video up.  Keep it up!

#31 charisma94

charisma94

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Anarchy

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

Great video once again.

The mast they pulled is worth what most of us payed for our homes.

Let's assume a house cost $5-600k... The furling package alone would be north of that.

There'd be no change out of $12mill for that rig.

#32 charisma94

charisma94

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

The rigger up the mast, the guy on the halyard, the crane driver and maybe a couple other are all wearing communication headsets. That is the only way to communicate over the distances and screaming from the top of the rig would be futile. They would never have even heard a drone near them.

An interesting point. From about half way up, the bosons chair isn't hauled up... The weight of the halyard weights more than the dude in the chair...

There's a down haul on him that controls his ascent, not the halyard!

When it's time to come down, he gets winched down, not lowered.

#33 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

An interesting point. From about half way up, the bosons chair isn't hauled up... The weight of the halyard weights more than the dude in the chair...

On boats this big, I have always tied the tail of the halyard to the chair. That way they weight of the halyard is negated and you are just moving the weight of the crew around.

The tales of crew members being sucked into the rig by the weight of the halyard, are endless but no one can name an instance of it actually happening.

#34 bait

bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

With all the modern day rigging getting lighter and lighter and this rig being pan American rig (can go through the Panama Canal) at 200 feet of air draft as long as you either send up an adult rigger rigger or use a weighted bosons chair as is common, the thought of getting stuck at the top of the mast is,less of an issue. Back when wire to rope was common I remember being sent aloft in weighted chairs to offset the weight of the halyard on these large yachts. I was a bit skeptical the first time, but got use to it as time went on.

The only real story I remember of a crew member getting injured by getting sucked into the mast head sheave was on the old New Zealand Americas boat that races against DC's catamaran back in the 80's it might have been an urban legend, but I remember it being an interesting story at the time.

#35 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Location:Tinh Gia, Central North Province, Vietnam, but I still call Australia home.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Just a quick sanity check.
In the world of big crane lifts, this would be fairly low risk.

Yes it is impressive due to it being a mega yacht, but for a big lift, its not difficult.

Fairly straight forward single crane lift and well inside 75% capacity of that crane.

#36 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:Kite Surfing, binge drinking.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

Lotta those big boats have dedicated "man lines", halyards that are only about 6 or 8 mm, no need for tag lines.

I'd say the bill for lift was at least 100k. And that's just for the cranes!

#37 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

Lotta those big boats have dedicated "man lines", halyards that are only about 6 or 8 mm, no need for tag lines.

I'd say the bill for lift was at least 100k. And that's just for the cranes!

What? No way. 

Even at $1,000 an hour it would be less than $10k each crane for a day, plus milage, surely?

#38 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:08 AM

I managed a 120 tonne mobile crane job in the Melbourne cbd a few years back, it was about 50K just for the crane. But we had to do it at midnight on a Sunday so the penalty rates were huge. That crane there looks like at least a 250 tonne, 2 or 3 grand an hour no problem. It would take a minimum of 4 or 5 hours just to set it up with a crew of 3 or 4.

Plus the smaller crane (still looked like 120 tonne), a couple of cherry pickers, a big fork lift etc etc. 100 k easy.

#39 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:17 AM

I managed a 120 tonne mobile crane job in the Melbourne cbd a few years back, it was about 50K just for the crane. But we had to do it at midnight on a Sunday so the penalty rates were huge. That crane there looks like at least a 250 tonne, it would take a minimum of 4 or 5 hours just to set it up with a crew of 3 or 4.

Plus the smaller crane (still looked like 120 tonne), a couple of cherry pickers, a big fork lift etc etc. 100 k easy.

Really? Amazing. Good reason to stick with a 30 footer - even if I could afford a bigger boat!!!!

#40 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

Yep, as they scale up in size the risks scale up exponentially. It becomes a real science, particularly the density/load ratings of the surface. They take enormous care in spreading the load of each support leg in an even and stable manner. A couple of ol' two by fours just wont cut it!

I spent about 350K in three months on cranes, the company sent out a man with me to every site to inspect and measure up the job. He took all sorts of measurements with a tape and also some sort of laser scope for measuring the height. Then he'd take all the data back to the office and feed it into his computer and then recommend the right crane for the job.

Was a good fun project while it lasted!

#41 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

650 tonne! I was way off!

http://www.sarens.co...chure_kleur.pdf

#42 charisma94

charisma94

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:44 AM

With all the modern day rigging getting lighter and lighter and this rig being pan American rig (can go through the Panama Canal) at 200 feet of air draft as long as you either send up an adult rigger rigger or use a weighted bosons chair as is common, the thought of getting stuck at the top of the mast is,less of an issue. Back when wire to rope was common I remember being sent aloft in weighted chairs to offset the weight of the halyard on these large yachts. I was a bit skeptical the first time, but got use to it as time went on.

The only real story I remember of a crew member getting injured by getting sucked into the mast head sheave was on the old New Zealand Americas boat that races against DC's catamaran back in the 80's it might have been an urban legend, but I remember it being an interesting story at the time.

I met an old timer in the UK who was aboard VELSHEDA back in the day and a guy was killed this way. According to him, he was the one who went up after to get the body down... head injury... believe it or not???

It happened a few times on my boats, with the first of the +50m rigs.  Wasn't that dramatic, fast or outta control... We had one "know it all" rigger who didn't beleive us that you need to be mindful of this happening... he went aloft on a 28mm vectran halyard after some rain... toward the masthead the load came off the winch and up he went. He came to a slow stop as the splice slowly jammed in the sheave 3 or so foot from the top... he didn't have the strength however to push himself down and free the splice - we had to go and get him.

#43 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

(2) its friday ;-)

sailor LOL

Well played but don't think Pigeon is going to play along...

#44 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

ok that is cool....  You could do some serrious jack sparrow or waterworld shit with that rig.......

#45 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

(2) its friday ;-)

sailor LOL

Well played but don't think Pigeon is going to play along...

The implications of a drone fly by over one of florida's topless beaches is just staggering......   

#46 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  • Interests:Garnacha. Gunk-holing.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Great stuff.  The next time I need to step the mast on my Precision 23, I know who to call.

#47 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

I thought Florida passed one of those Felony Topless laws like California's?

#48 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Florida is not California. I assure you, there is NOTHING good to see at a Florida nudist beach.

#49 PigeonVision

PigeonVision

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

Hey brothers,

I know its unrelated but we helped shoot this commercial in Trinidad, the common denominator in this shameless self promo post is beer. We're taking out Zenji's rig on the 16th... any tips for that video?? hmm..

#50 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Nice work, did you use drones for that as well?

#51 Merrill Levi

Merrill Levi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

dunno if you call it a tip - maybe just an 'idea' - every few minutes go to split screen with one side from drone and other side is image from a handheld showing dogman "hand calls" or activity with the mast heel (deck 'n dock stuff that marries to what drone is filming)

love your work

ML

#52 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

You need to retain and trademark the drone recovery by the young lady in the bikini.  You should probably include the launch as well.

#53 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

any tips for that video?? hmm..

More ass, and send us a heads up before you publish.

clean at sailinganarchy dot com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users