• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Jayavarman

Jayavarman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Sailing more & working less.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:49 AM

Recommendations for a hand held DSC radio waterproof that I can put in my ditch bag for southern california coastal sailing.  around the islands but not further off shore than that.  

Thanks in advance,

Jaya

#2 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

..do NOT use the Cobra HH125,,,as much as the packaging ,,manual,,and even the unit itself is emblazoned with the word 'waterproof' it is NOT waterproof.....it takes going to their website,,going in 3 pages before they mention the word 'splashproof' in brackets  :mellow:  <_<

...I'm not sure what the 'DSC' means in your post

#3 Jayavarman

Jayavarman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:18 AM

DSC stands for Digital Selective Calling:

http://www.vhf-dsc.info/

For example:

http://www.westmarin...radio--12960563

#4 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

Icon makes a solid product. M92 is their offering, and the most expensive. Standard horizon hx851 is slightly cheaper, which is nice. Also includes a strobe light. Both have integral gps as a function of making the dsc a possibility without having to hook up a separate GPS unit. I don't think you would be unhappy with either product. Both float too.

#5 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:28 AM

For example:

...interesting technology

#6 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Van Isle 360, Pacific Cup, Bermuda 1-2

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Uniden mhs 135 DSC. $139 at West Marine. It's all that.

#7 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

For example:

...interesting technology

It has been around for over a decade, although not implemented as completely as originally envisioned.

#8 IStream

IStream

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

Uniden mhs 135 DSC. $139 at West Marine. It's all that.

Not had good luck with Uniden. Can't go wrong with Icom or Standard Horizon.

#9 Jayavarman

Jayavarman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

Thanks all, I've heard enough.  I'm going to purchase the ICOM M92.   $251.99 on Amazon currently.   Safety and durability. 

-Jaya

#10 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

Although I have had other ICOM handheld VHF's, I have had the Standard Horizon HX851 for about 4 years and found it to be excellent. It's waterproof, floats, has a strobe, transmits at 6 watts, 5 and 1watt, built in GPS, the charging base has an NMEA I/O port and all round, is a good radio and safety tool.

Edit: and has an optional external mic

#11 Jayavarman

Jayavarman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

Has anybody registered one of these before?  If I have two units one inboard and one handheld do I register both to the boat?  What if I take my handheld  on another vessel?  Say I want to take my new ICOM on the Delta Ditch run later this month?

#12 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

The whole handheld thing has not really been worked out. Here's the Boat US MMSI registrar's thoughts. Bottom line is that all your registrations (EPIRB, MMSI, Spot, etc.) are only as good as the knowledge of the person who answers the registered phone number.

#13 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

I registered mine with Transport Canada before there was a decent procedure for handhelds. As a result, I was told I needed a radio station license and call sign associated with a specific vessel name. I said it was a handheld VHF and could be used on any vessel in any country. The person on the other end of the phone said she needed a vessel name to go with the station license. I asked "how about the vessel name being ANY VESSEL?" That didn't fly and the nearest compromise I could get was "ANY CANADIAN VESSEL" as the vessel name to go with the MMSI and station license's call sign. :D

#14 Jayavarman

Jayavarman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Okay, here is my thinking:  I register my handheld to my tender (though I don't have one yet) and when I replace my aging inboard VHF I will register that to the boat?    Oh well, nothing is ever easy is it. 

#15 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

I registered mine with Transport Canada before there was a decent procedure for handhelds. As a result, I was told I needed a radio station license and call sign associated with a specific vessel name. I said it was a handheld VHF and could be used on any vessel in any country. The person on the other end of the phone said she needed a vessel name to go with the station license. I asked "how about the vessel name being ANY VESSEL?" That didn't fly and the nearest compromise I could get was "ANY CANADIAN VESSEL" as the vessel name to go with the MMSI and station license's call sign. :D

.....it's not as if a rescue vessel would pass you by because they come across a sinking boat of different name! :mellow:   :rolleyes:

#16 solosailor

solosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

Register them separate.   Register the fixed house VHF to the boat.   Then make a new registration for the handheld VHF to the same boat.    But now you can change the latter anytime to any boat you might sail on with a few clicks.

#17 seaker

seaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

This is a small waterproof to 425 feet diver radio.  It looks like it would be good as a emergency radio.  I have seen them in Dive shops but have not used one.  http://www.nautiluslifeline.com/

#18 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

re: registration:  Go to Boat US.  As I understand it - you get your boat a MMSI - and then log that into the VHF.  

Problem is many handhelds (all?) can only ever have 1 MMSI - so the registration solution doesn't really fit the technology - as I'll carry that VHF with me on other boats...

#19 Sailabout

Sailabout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Interests:Engines

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:46 AM

geez, if you sell the boat get a new handheld with the new boat, if you dont want the dsc features then dont buy one just dont expect a ship to be listening on ch 16 so it can come and help you or relay a message.

#20 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

Relax, no one is listening to DSC anyway ...

#21 Sailabout

Sailabout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Interests:Engines

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

well yes, on a dsc set you cant not listen to it.

commercial set volume down etc you get a nice alarm ringing when someone sends you a dsc call.

I notice its getting used more and more for that since AIS as you now know who to send it to

#22 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:32 AM

geez, if you sell the boat get a new handheld with the new boat, if you dont want the dsc features then dont buy one just dont expect a ship to be listening on ch 16 so it can come and help you or relay a message.

ya missed the point. I use it on my boat, and I also carry it on OPBs, just in case I fall off...  I used to carry a PLB but a DSC VHF in VHF range seems like a much faster solution to get rescue assets on the way.

#23 Jayavarman

Jayavarman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:17 AM

So, continuing with my original thread ... Now that I've purchased my DSC handheld what do I do with it?  My idea - I'm going to make a weather proof charging station at the wheel pedestal.  This way the radio is always charged and within arms reach while underway.  I figure the 12 volt socket I install at the wheel pedestal will also come in handy to inflate the RIB tender.  Any comments?

Jaya 

#24 Zonker

Zonker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:11 AM

Keep it in a belt bag around your waist?  If you fall in, it's pretty handy to have it with you...

#25 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:17 AM

that's what I do - fanny packs are back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users