#1 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

The new season is in full swing. I usually post my racing foibles here, because I'm just not enough of a hard-core racer to post in the main SA forum and even the CA denizens do a little racing.

As usual, we stink out loud.

This is a result of having a nearly all-new, newb crew every damn year. Things do seem a little different (and for the better!) this year.

The crew overall, is more experienced and definitely more dedicated. We actually practice. People show up regularly, and on time. People are talking and working together.

We are consistently improving.  We closed an 11 minute gap (corrected time) to a 3 minute gap.

For all of these things, I am grateful and excited.

Our competition is very stiff:

2, S2 9.1's

S2 7.9

Kirby 25

J/29

J/30

Express 30

...against my Pearson 30. Due to declining participation, Spin C & B have been consolidated at my little club.

From what I saw, all of these guys are flying high tech sails and have shiny, clean bottoms. Many of them also have long standing, regular crew.

I will be doing some recreational cruising around the Chesapeake as well. I plan to visit Smith Island, Tangier Island (before they're gone!) and sail into the Atlantic in August.

I've already put in my vacation time. Hopefully, we'll hold the 2nd annual Cruising Anarchy Rendezvous as well.

So, whatcha got?

#2 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

The top boats will be using blame, humiliation, swearing and shouting to motivate and develop their crews.  They also use the term 'team' a lot, which frankly is a gay American habit.

Nothing keeps an individual on their toes like knowing the abuse they're going to get when they fuck up. No more nicy nicy.

#3 jameswilson29

jameswilson29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

Tough competition.  Everyone gives you time.  The S2 9.1s and J/29 seem to sail well to their ratings on the Chesapeake.

Let me know if you ever need occasional racing crew in the mid-lower Bay area.

#4 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

The top boats will be using blame, humiliation, swearing and shouting to motivate and develop their crews.  They also use the term 'team' a lot, which frankly is a gay American habit.

Nothing keeps an individual on their toes like knowing the abuse they're going to get when they fuck up. No more nicy nicy.

Rum, sodomy and the lash!

No "team" here, we're "crew" on my boat.  I agree about the habit.

James-

I'll be doing Eastport to Solomon's, Governor's Cup and quite possibly, the Screwpile Regatta.

If you enjoy dysfunctional, 4ktsb's, I have the boat for you!

#5 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:Sailing of course. Travel, adventure, change, meeting people everywhere I go and eating their food... Linux. Trying to break my Xoom tablet getting Android off and Linux on. Stirring the waters...

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

As you are obviously aware, this is a cruising, not racing forum.  But, what does one more or less non-cruising thread in this forum matter?  It's become a dumping ground for many non-cruising related threads because, quite frankly, it appears there are very few bonifide cruisers at sailing anarchy anyway. 

Carry on. :ph34r:

#6 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

It was that way long before you arrived here.

If you're a purist, I highly recommend you join Cruiser's Forum. Oh wait- you've already been exiled due to your acerbic personality. Speaking of exile...

Attached Files

#7 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

CA is kind of like "SA Lite".

The SA response to this thread would be something like:

You freaking loser clogging up the river with your ancient POS. You need to spend $250,000 on a 20 foot boat made out of exotic carbon nano particles stolen from DARPA or just get off the water. What kind of loser would sail around Annapolis anyway? San Diego, Newport, San Francisco, or just admit you are worthless.

Signed,

A guy who could not afford a new mainsheet for an Opti but I ride around on someone else's boat and look down on you

:P  :P

#8 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:Sailing of course. Travel, adventure, change, meeting people everywhere I go and eating their food... Linux. Trying to break my Xoom tablet getting Android off and Linux on. Stirring the waters...

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Yeah, one of the fortunate many.  Rumour has it you tried to join CF and were refused.  Too little experience, knowledge and a slow learner.  Would drag down their shiny reputation for being the place 'real cruisers' go, folks who have something to offer... :blink:

It was that way long before you arrived here.

If you're a purist, I highly recommend you join Cruiser's Forum. Oh wait- you've already been exiled due to your acerbic personality. Speaking of exile...

#9 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

CA is kind of like "SA Lite".

The SA response to this thread would be something like:

You freaking loser clogging up the river with your ancient POS. You need to spend $250,000 on a 20 foot boat made out of exotic carbon nano particles stolen from DARPA or just get off the water. What kind of loser would sail around Annapolis anyway? San Diego, Newport, San Francisco, or just admit you are worthless.

Signed,

A guy who could not afford a new mainsheet for an Opti but I ride around on someone else's boat and look down on you

:P  :P

Nice! :lol:

#10 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

As you are obviously aware, this is a cruising, not racing forum.  But, what does one more or less non-cruising thread in this forum matter?  It's become a dumping ground for many non-cruising related threads because, quite frankly, it appears there are very few bonifide cruisers at sailing anarchy anyway. 

Call the powleece, someone's breaking the forum rules.

What a cunt.

#11 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

The new season is in full swing. I usually post my racing foibles here, because I'm just not enough of a hard-core racer to post in the main SA forum and even the CA denizens do a little racing.

This is a result of having a nearly all-new, newb crew every damn year. Things do seem a little different (and for the better!) this year.

The crew overall, is more experienced and definitely more dedicated. We actually practice. People show up regularly, and on time. People are talking and working together.

We are consistently improving.  We closed an 11 minute gap (corrected time) to a 3 minute gap.

2, S2 9.1's

S2 7.9

Kirby 25

J/29

J/30

Express 30

...against my Pearson 30. Due to declining participation, Spin C & B have been consolidated at my little club.

From what I saw, all of these guys are flying high tech sails and have shiny, clean bottoms. Many of them also have long standing, regular crew.

I will be doing some recreational cruising around the Chesapeake as well. I plan to visit Smith Island, Tangier Island (before they're gone!) and sail into the Atlantic in August.

I've already put in my vacation time. Hopefully, we'll hold the 2nd annual Cruising Anarchy Rendezvous as well.

So, whatcha got?

Hey for the record Ajax has some cruising content so 'officially' this is a valid post! :D

What I got? OK I'll play...

Racing:

Laser: Local club racing at SMSA. Rock Hall Masters in the Fall and maybe Fishing Bay Masters depending on the weekend. Try to get up to West River as well.

Buccaneer 18: Belhaven Pungo, NC, NC Gov Cup, VA Gov Cup and up to PRSA some. Nationals is in CO west of Denver, too far for this kid!!!

Fishing: Rockfish, Bluefish and my favorite Spanish Mackerel.

Cruising: I got something in the works but until it's final I am keeping my mouth shut!

#12 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

Give it a rest Armido. Ajax has been here a long time. We enjoy following his adventures both racing a cruising.

Show me a sailor who has never raced and I'll show you a guy who has never learned the finer points of sailing.

#13 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

"As you are obviously aware, this is a cruising, not racing forum.  But, what does one more or less non-cruising thread in this forum matter?  It's become a dumping ground for many non-cruising related threads because, quite frankly, it appears there are very few bonifide cruisers at sailing anarchy anyway.

Carry on."

No rules.  Nothing stopping anyone from posting their irrelevant shit here.  Post cruising stuff in the racing forum and visa versa.  Anywhere you can draw attention to yourself.  Whatever... :ph34r: 

Give it a rest Armido. Ajax has been here a long time. We enjoy following his adventures both racing a cruising.

Show me a sailor who has never raced and I'll show you a guy who has never learned the finer points of sailing.

#14 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

"As you are obviously aware, this is a cruising, not racing forum.  But, what does one more or less non-cruising thread in this forum matter?  It's become a dumping ground for many non-cruising related threads because, quite frankly, it appears there are very few bonifide cruisers at sailing anarchy anyway.

Carry on."

No rules.  Nothing stopping anyone from posting their irrelevant shit here.  Post cruising stuff in the racing forum and visa versa.  Anywhere you can draw attention to yourself.  Whatever... :ph34r:

Its friggin anarchy dude.  Find yourself a dictionary and read it.

#15 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by armido. View it anyway?

Hobie-  I knew you had something brewing in the cruising realm and I think I know what it might be. Looking forward to hearing about it when you're ready to tell!

#16 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Anyway, Ajax, I am really good at yelling.  Just ask my crew.  I don't know why they keep coming back.  Perhaps we could crew swap.  Give my crew a little break and yours a little discipline.

Wait, never mind, that might backfire. 

So, how about "No top 3, no beer"?  This would be more carrot than stick.

just thinking out loud,

PATSY

#17 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • Interests:Garnacha. Gunk-holing.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

Armido--

shutthefuckup.jpg

#18 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

ISH, seriously dude.  STOP IT.

#19 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

Anyway, Ajax, I am really good at yelling.  Just ask my crew.  I don't know why they keep coming back.  Perhaps we could crew swap.  Give my crew a little break and yours a little discipline.

Wait, never mind, that might backfire. 

just thinking out loud,

PATSY

Yelling works if you're a winner, or at least on the podium.  If I yell, and we keep losing, they'll never come back. ;)

#20 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

Yeah Rev. I'm with Patsy. There is only so much we can take.

This is not "hairy bald guy screwing a guy with hairy legs" anarchy.

Is it?

#21 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

I thought he was just helping with leg stretches. It's OK, it's gone. I wasn't going to screw up Ajax's thread permanently, just a little temporary visual bite.

This better?

armadillo-portrait-close-up-having-sex-3

#22 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

All good.  Ajax will enjoy that much more. :P 

I thought he was just helping with leg stretches. It's OK, it's gone. I wasn't going to screw up Ajax's thread permanently, just a little temporary visual bite.

This better?

#23 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Is it?

Geez bob, You just had to bring that to this thread didn't you......  I just got the image out of my head from the last time...

AJAX,

I remember when you just started and posted everything in SA..  Heck Ca didn't exixt..  Good on ya.  I dare any of these cruising guys to try and come up with anyone they have brought up from nothing and within 2-3 seasons that person is doing what you are doing.  Congrads....  We have BJ also so HTFU and give AJAX a hand...  As to the guys in the fleet that have the shiny stuff.  At this point it just makes it all that much better when you start to beat them on a regular basis with your old stuff and good attitude...  Keep it up, maybe sneak in a new Chute at the bottom mark when your guys get good..  JUst make sure the theme from Wind or "flight of the valkories" is playing max volume when you hoist it at the bottom mark...... :) 

#24 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,008 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

This better?

The other day we walked to the Galapagos Tortoise breeding center here in Isabela.

I was duly impressed to note that the official logo of the center, painted in the front if the information center building five feet high, was...two tortoises humping.

While admittedly it must be an impressive sight to see and hear live I was surprised the logo wasn't a tad more discreet. Of course they also make some cracks about their horny and willing breeding adults in the information plaques so I shouldn't be surprised.

#25 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

BJ, There was a cruising cat dismantled about 400nm SW of you. They have motored back and are somewhere in the galap, arrived yesterday, trying to regroup.

They lost the entire rig. They are thinking about perhaps trying to motor all the way to costa Rico, but that is at the very extreme end of their motoring range.

If you see them around, try to cheer them up a bit.

Ajax, I am anchored up the south river. Need to swing the autopilot compass, and the deck wash pump is getting air somewhere, but otherwise the boat seems very eager to get going north - too hot here already :)

#26 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Stage Lighting, etc.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

I'm sorry I missed THAT, whatever it was.   :D  Or perhaps not...

#27 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

I'm sorry glad I missed THAT, whatever it was.   :D  Or perhaps not...

fixed.  I am going to guess this is what you meant.

#28 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

You're not suggesting are you, that Ajax isn't a deep pockets asshole?  Gee, if he's just a normal guy pursuing the cruising dream, I may have to afford him some - but not too much - slack. :ph34r: 

Is it?

Geez bob, You just had to bring that to this thread didn't you......  I just got the image out of my head from the last time...

AJAX,

I remember when you just started and posted everything in SA..  Heck Ca didn't exixt..  Good on ya.  I dare any of these cruising guys to try and come up with anyone they have brought up from nothing and within 2-3 seasons that person is doing what you are doing.  Congrads....  We have BJ also so HTFU and give AJAX a hand...  As to the guys in the fleet that have the shiny stuff.  At this point it just makes it all that much better when you start to beat them on a regular basis with your old stuff and good attitude...  Keep it up, maybe sneak in a new Chute at the bottom mark when your guys get good..  JUst make sure the theme from Wind or "flight of the valkories" is playing max volume when you hoist it at the bottom mark...... :)

#29 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,008 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

BJ, There was a cruising cat dismantled about 400nm SW of you. They have motored back and are somewhere in the galap, arrived yesterday, trying to regroup.

They lost the entire rig. They are thinking about perhaps trying to motor all the way to costa Rico, but that is at the very extreme end of their motoring range.

Ajax, I am anchored up the south river. Need to swing the autopilot compass, and the deck wash pump is getting air somewhere, but otherwise the boat seems very eager to get going north - too hot here already :)

Escape Velocity, they are anchored here in Puerto Vilamil about three boats away. Mutual friends have been in touch, I plan to drop by and say hi later. Having just dropped and stepped my rig in Panama I figure I can pass on what I know if they decide to go there.

Escape Velocity, they are anchored here in Puerto Vilamil about three boats away. Mutual friends have been in touch, I plan to drop by and say hi later. Having just dropped and stepped my rig in Panama I figure I can pass on what I know if they decide to go there.

#30 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,008 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

I think Panama City is their best bet for a facility that can re-rig them. What a bear though, I can't even imagine the hell of tryng to get a new rig there.

#31 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

You're not suggesting are you, that Ajax isn't a deep pockets asshole?  Gee, if he's just a normal guy pursuing the cruising dream, I may have to afford him some - but not too much - slack. :ph34r:

Is it?

AJAX,

Ajax is a working schmuck, like most of us, trying to take care of his family, and enjoy his boat, w/out telling everyone else how they should be doing it.  He doesn't need me or anyone else to stick up for him, but, even though he's a squid, I will. My great-grandmother would've had this to say: "Bless your heart".   

#32 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

I'm not sure what kind of a program Ajax is running.  He  had panties that smelled like ham hanging off his tiller a few weeks ago.

#33 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

I'm not sure what kind of a program Ajax is running.  He  had panties that smelled like ham hanging off his tiller a few weeks ago.

I was under the impression that you had stayed on his boat.  So they were probably yours.  

Ewwwww!

barfing.gif

#34 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:06 PM

I was under the impression that you had stayed on his boat.  So they were probably yours.  

Ewwwww!

barfing.gif

I know, right? They weren't mine, though.  

Maybe he thought the sail fairy had given him a new code O?

#35 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

Ewwwww!

barfing.gif

So you voluntarily smelled them? You're a sick puppy.

#36 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:17 PM

Armido, we are sure as hell not sitting around waiting for your "fair and balanced" opinion of Ajax's character. Why would we?

Ajax is just fine with me. He's just another sailor.

#37 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:25 PM

Yeah Armido.  And don't you forget who's shit doesn't stink here at SA!  Yur the boss here Mr.  Perry aren't you?  Master of all that cometh, spokesman for all.  Fuck off.

Armido, we are sure as hell not sitting around waiting for your "fair and balanced" opinion of Ajax's character. Why would we?

Ajax is just fine with me. He's just another sailor.

#38 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Well, this went downhill fast.

#39 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,008 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

I am reminded of the parable of the frog and the scorpion. He can not help it, it is his nature.

#40 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:49 PM

Yes Armido, as a matter of fact I am the master of all here on CA and I have the hat to prove it. I have minions here. They fly out at night and do my bidding.

I fucketh offeth not!

But don't let me stop you from pronouncing who is worthy and who is not. Maybe some respect you intelligent opinion.

Not me though..

I think you are a old, lonely guy in a boat that smells bad, wondering why you don't have more friends and how long can you go without changing your underwear.

The best you can do to simulate "friendship": is to antagonize people like Ajax

Pathetic..

Hey, WHL is here for dinner and tomorrow we go racing. No need to "simulate" friends just invite them to stay the night and do some sailboat racing. Works every time.

I can guarantee you, that one way or another Tim and I will have a great day tomorrow.

I washed my dog this afternoon, just for Tim. I thought she smelled fin but my wife assured me that she didn't.

When my son Max was about 8 years old we took our dog to the groomer. When we picked her up Max said, "Hey look Dad, they buffed her asshole."

I have to go make dinner now. This Maestro  has household chores to attend to.

#41 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:30 AM

BJ,

Tell Escape Velocity to consider heading to Ecuador as it's closer, and it certainly has facilities to do the job. Their South Pacific trip is probably off for the year so they might as well hang out where the weather is nicer and the prices are cheaper.

If they're dead set on Panama, tell them to check out Astillero Bayano, link is here. The yard is located 23nm north of the canal zone on the Pacific side. They should call ahead and ask for Alejandro Gerbaud de la Gerente, who was the yard manager when I was there last. He's educated at Georgia Tech, super knowledgable, super capable, fluent in English and very easy to work with. He can arrange getting a mast delivered, rigged and stepped. It's not that difficult.

The should be able to get a few cans for extra fuel in the Galapagos - worst case they might have to have an empty plastic drum or jerry cans shipped by air from Ecuador.

#42 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,008 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

Good info Moonduster. I didn't get to them today, it's been rainy and crappy all day so we didn't get too far from the boat...

#43 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:11 AM

Ewwwww!

barfing.gif

So you voluntarily smelled them? You're a sick puppy.

Stop being a troll. Anybody within a 1/2 mile knew they smelled like ham. 

#44 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:21 AM

So to sum up:

- Ajax is still super enthusiastic about racing but having problems beating other boats (who have, to be fair to them, been sailing longer than he has...).  Consensus is that he should keep trying, and maybe yell.

- Armido is still a friendless dick who is jealous that people respect Bob

- BJ and Moonduster don't care about any of this but are looking to give moral support to someone who lost their mast.  Raining in the Galapagos.

- Ish is the curator of an amazingly odd and disgusting collection of images, painstakingly assembled over the years.

- Bob washed his dog but probably did not buff anything as he has to cook dinner (for his lovely wife!) and is going racing with Tim.

- something about ham that I do not want to think about.

#45 monsoon

monsoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:42 AM

Yes Armido,

...snip

I think you are a old, lonely guy in a boat that smells bad, wondering why you don't have more friends and how long can you go without changing your underwear.

so the ham underwear are Armido's... hmmm...  one mystery solved

#46 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:50 AM

Thanks Bob, I just updated my sig line.

#47 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:14 AM

Sculper:

I think have it nailed.

Thanks.

#48 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

Thanks Bob, I just updated my sig line.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

"Hey look Dad, they buffed her asshole."

That needs to be engrave on a brass plate and installed...........somewhere. :blink:

#49 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:50 AM

I deny everything. I just reposted a picture that I thought looked like Armido's avatar, and they have some weird dead guy's legs in front of Santa Claus.

Further proponent sayeth not.

#50 Illegal Smile

Illegal Smile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, music, books, bacon

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:30 AM

PATSY

As a member of Ajax's crew, I do not approve this message.

I am concerned about the ham smell, though. The boat is a veritable bouquet of spiral-cut, maple-cured aromas. I don't smell carrots at all, however.

#51 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:46 AM

I washed my dog this afternoon, just for Tim. I thought she smelled fin but my wife assured me that she didn't.

When my son Max was about 8 years old we took our dog to the groomer. When we picked her up Max said, "Hey look Dad, they buffed her asshole."

Attached Files

#52 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

Well, looks like you should be posting in 'Bicthing & Complaining Anarchy" if you don't like it here than I suggest ya STFU and move on.

I second Blokes judgement of your character too.

Carry on."

#53 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

Anyway, Ajax, .......Perhaps we could crew swap. ....

just thinking out loud,

PATSY

a little Swinging Anarchy - Kinky! 

Maybe we should see if the Ed will make a Swinging Anarchy forum for crew swaps, perhaps start a new craze!

#54 BayGal

BayGal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Sail Shape, Boats, Rum Drinks, cookies

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

Well to aim back on thread. I'm racing Tuesday and Thursday night. Plus a bunch of weekend races.
Cruising my Monday night ladies sail is back happening. Going out this Sunday with friends. Memorial day going down to NC to hang with the family and according to my nieces one of the planned highlights is sailing to the doughnuts shop on grandpa's boat.

#55 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

Hey Bob, did your dog smell like ham? ...cause that might bring this all together nicely.

#56 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,008 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Yes Armido,

...snip

so the ham underwear are Armido's... hmmm...  one mystery solved

I think Bob is being a little unfair to Armido; I'm guessing he doesn't wear underwear.

#57 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

I am reminded of the parable of the frog and the scorpion. He can not help it, it is his nature.

Yeah, just like others in this thread who can relied upon to frequently insult others, including you. ;)   

#58 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

Not to derail the thread, but I need to buy 10 gallons of gas for the big boat and 5 more for the dinghy and my minion pay check is late. Bob - can you check into this? Thanks!

#59 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

I miss Slug Zitski.

#60 BayGal

BayGal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

http://th05.devianta...ter-d59u452.jpg

#61 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

You appear to be a bitter person railing against anyone with a better boat, a worse boat, more money, less money, a faster boat, a slower boat, or anything else that does not meet with your approval.

I go sailing to have fun and be happy. You might look into it ;)

Yeah, just like others in this thread who can relied upon to frequently insult others, including you. ;)   

#62 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

You appear to be a bitter person railing against anyone with a better boat, a worse boat, more money, less money, a faster boat, a slower boat, or anything else that does not meet with your approval.

I go sailing to have fun and be happy. You might look into it ;)

Clearly a case of the pot calling the teakettle black.  Otherwise, would you be saying anything to posters who disagree with you, or state their opinions about anything at all?

#63 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

I miss Slug Zitski.

and Do Rag..................................

#64 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

Was the underwear made of ham?

cause that could be why it smelled like ham.

#65 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

Or was it just porcine sized?

#66 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:53 PM

Or was it just porcine sized?

Ewww...I would prefer made of ham in the normal size and configuration.

Ajax, step in any time here.

#67 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:monthly Social Security check, oil painting, martinis

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:24 AM

So to sum up:

- Ajax is still super enthusiastic about racing but having problems beating other boats (who have, to be fair to them, been sailing longer than he has...).  Consensus is that he should keep trying, and maybe yell.

- BJ and Moonduster don't care about any of this but are looking to give moral support to someone who lost their mast.  Raining in the Galapagos.

- Ish is the curator of an amazingly odd and disgusting collection of images, painstakingly assembled over the years.

- Bob washed his dog but probably did not buff anything as he has to cook dinner (for his lovely wife!) and is going racing with Tim.

Sculpin, I also agree that you have nailed this thread. Since buffing has been introduced to the thread, and since you have an interest in power tools, and since has become an all-purpose thread, please look at my thread under "Gear" titled "Waxing boat - good electric buffer/polisher," in which I ask for recommendations for a moderately priced buffer, and make a recommendation.

Thanks.

BTW, I think Armido is taking all of this rather hard. Bob, perhaps you could be sweet to him for a little while.

#68 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:33 AM

So to sum up:

Sculpin, I also agree that you have nailed this thread. Since buffing has been introduced to the thread, and since you have an interest in power tools, and since has become an all-purpose thread, please look at my thread under "Gear" titled "Waxing boat - good electric buffer/polisher," in which I ask for recommendations for a moderately priced buffer, and make a recommendation.

Thanks.

BTW, I think Armido is taking all of this rather hard. Bob, perhaps you could be sweet to him for a little while.

<Hysterical laughter ensues>

#69 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,008 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:26 AM

I don't know, you showed up here right off the bat and started insulting everyone and everything. Me, and many people that I've met and think well of you started right n and and continue to insult and ridicule.

I've yet to see you NOT act like an unrepentant douche in any thread you've joined in, though I've not read them all. Guess what - people don't like people that run around being rude, obnoxious and arrogant.

You made your bed here with your attitude and behavior big guy, now you sleep in it. Stop acting like a twat of epic proportions and maybe people will stop taking you down too.

This isn't crusing forums, you won't get flicked for being a douche. Doesn't mean people have to respect you for it.

#70 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

I don't know, you showed up here right off the bat and started insulting everyone and everything. Me, and many people that I've met and think well of you started right n and and continue to insult and ridicule.

I've yet to see you NOT act like an unrepentant douche in any thread you've joined in, though I've not read them all. Guess what - people don't like people that run around being rude, obnoxious and arrogant.

You made your bed here with your attitude and behavior big guy, now you sleep in it. Stop acting like a twat of epic proportions and maybe people will stop taking you down too.

This isn't crusing forums, you won't get flicked for being a douche. Doesn't mean people have to respect you for it.

Rest my case. :D

#71 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

Rest my case. :D

Looks to me like you proved his

"Twat of Epic Proportions" would be a great name for a punk/ska band though

FB- Doug

#72 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

Steam Flyer, et al,

Yeah, like I said - just like others in this thread who can relied upon to frequently insult others, including you.  One thing you can be assured of at Sailing Anarchy.  Nobody's hands are clean.  If you review threads I've started, in each and every case where an insult was registered I was not the first in the thread responsible for it.  Read down from the top of this thread.  Who is the first to post an insult?  You may be a deep pockets asshole who objects to the subject of my thread(s) or something I say in a post, and are more likely than not to be the initiator of a shit fight - first to cast a stone.  You can be guaranteed my response will be equally or more obnoxious, crude and aimed at cutting you off at the knees.  This I promise.  So, fuck off. :ph34r:

#73 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

No, dickhead, your first post in this thread was insulting and demeaning, just like most of your posts. Since you don't seem to like anyone here, and you obviously have nothing positive to contribute, why don't you just bugger off? 

We have had this situation a couple of times before, where a poster is of zero or negative value...and it is possible to get voted off this island.

#74 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

No surprise whatsoever you are the next to post. You are at the top of the list of people who post crude, demeaning and provacative comments.  Nothing insulting or demeaning in my first post.  Just because you disagree with my proposition, doesn't make it so.  And, it's predictable you'll make no admission Ajax was among the first to attack. ;) 

No, dickhead, your first post in this thread was insulting and demeaning, just like most of your posts. Since you don't seem to like anyone here, and you obviously have nothing positive to contribute, why don't you just bugger off? 

We have had this situation a couple of times before, where a poster is of zero or negative value...and it is possible to get voted off this island.

#75 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,127 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

Please, God, make sure Ish has no pictures of bonified cruisers. While I'm not 100% sure what that means, I'm very sure I'd rather not see it.

#76 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Please, God, make sure Ish has no pictures of bonified cruisers. While I'm not 100% sure what that means, I'm very sure I'd rather not see it.

Ha!  Another you're or your moment.  Thanks.  Bonafide, not bonified.  Usage here meant to mean genuine or authentic. :blink:

#77 BayGal

BayGal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Atmosphere -lighten up. You tried to enforce rules at something titled anarchy. People rightfully laughed.

Anarchy means a state of disorder created by the lack of rules or lack of following the rules.

Everything else has been you insulting people and them jabbing back. Chill grab some friends go out sailing anchor grill something and have a beer try this smile thing. I find sailing makes me smile.

Disclaimer. I have met Ajax. I have seen his boat out racing and cruising. Yes he has a slow boat and is a slow racer but he is a nice guy and good looking by sailor standards which are low.

Armido sorry autocorect above from armido to atmosphere

#78 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

It's amazing what you can find with Google Image.

IMG_0895.jpg

I have no idea why this came up.

#79 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

Life is thread drift.

#80 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

As usual, we stink out loud . . . This is a result of having a nearly all-new, newb crew every damn year . . .

Due to declining participation, Spin C & B have been consolidated at my little club . . .

. . . So, whatcha got?

"What we got" here on SF Bay is a huge, vibrant shorthanders' club (all races are SH or DH).  Over two hundred members, no facilities but a great rapport with several yacht clubs who let us use their race decks, and an interesting mix of long, random-leg races in both the Bay and ocean.

I burned out on trying to keep a crew together about 12 years ago, did my first SSS race and I've never looked back.

www.sfbaysss.org

#81 armido

armido

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

"Atmosphere -lighten up. You tried to enforce rules at something titled anarchy. People rightfully laughed."

Wrong.  Just making an observation.  Enforcing rules is up to others and I made no report a rules violation occurred.

"Anarchy means a state of disorder created by the lack of rules or lack of following the rules. "

What I said.  No rules.  I appreciate this feature at S.A.

"Everything else has been you insulting people and them jabbing back. "

Wrong.  A mis-characterization of the timeline in this thread.

"Chill grab some friends go out sailing anchor grill something and have a beer try this smile thing. I find sailing makes me smile. "

I sail alone by choice and smile frequently.  Healthy.  C.A. is sometimes a good source of reasons to smile. Don't drink beer and avoid using charcoal or propane grills because they are a drag to have to clean.

"Disclaimer. I have met Ajax. I have seen his boat out racing and cruising. Yes he has a slow boat and is a slow racer but he is a nice guy and good looking by sailor standards which are low.  "

Don't doubt any of this.  What posters who are up in arms fail to grasp is, were it not Ajax who had started the racing thread but somebody else, the content of my first post would still be valid.  Critics just have a propensity to defend Ajax...

"Armido sorry autocorect above from armido to atmosphere." 

:ph34r:

#82 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

What a strange trip this thread is on.

Ignoring that we often don't seem to know if we are cruising or racing this would seem to be the place for me to point out that we hold claim to the fastest floating sailing BBQ on the Bay where Ajax resides.  No panties flung about though; sorry.  Some might have been a bit stained however by events during the AYC sponsored cruace a weekend or so ago.

#83 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

Can't someone introduce Armido to Brent Swain?

I think they'd make a great couple.

#84 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

2, S2 9.1's

S2 7.9

Kirby 25

J/29

J/30

Express 30

So, whatcha got?

Your rating assumes a clean bottom and good sails. To be competitive, you'll want to do the best within your budget to see to that. Also, you should (if you haven't already) empty the boat of any excess gear and cruising paraphernalia. Take off all you legally can.

#85 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

2, S2 9.1's

S2 7.9

Kirby 25

J/29

J/30

Express 30

So, whatcha got?

Your rating assumes a clean bottom and good sails. To be competitive, you'll want to do the best within your budget to see to that. Also, you should (if you haven't already) empty the boat of any excess gear and cruising paraphernalia. Take off all you legally can.

Especially the ham panties.

#86 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

I can imagine Armido jumping up and down yelling "Respect My Auth-Or-It-Tay" at a bar in Eastport while pointing out all the non-cruisers :lol:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gx4jn77VKlQ

#87 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Jon:

In fact they have met and Ish posted a photo of them together.

#88 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Ajax, way to start a shit storm. Nice going :D

Our racing is very laid-back PHRF, mostly Hunters and Catalinas, with a few Beneteaus and Jeaneaus, all in the 30's, plus me (J22), and an S2.

I think racing skills are important to cruising for a few reasons. Smart boat handling, a well sailed boat, and crew management, are integral to racing and should be important to cruisers. IMHO, Ajax's post is appropriate. Now if he were to introduce a rules or protest question, that would be different: we would have to get out the flame thrower.

#89 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:51 PM

I note that Armido's interests include Linux and "stirring the waters." These should be taken as fair warning.

#90 chessiebaysailor

chessiebaysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:37 AM

Back to Ajax's spring:  It'd be interesting to compare notes w/ Tartan30 sailors, which I was until recently.  There used to be a clutch of them down on the West/Rhode, and they've rated close to the P30 for years around here.  We always struggled on W/L, but the point to point or when a shift got us to reaching was always more interesting relative to the 27-30 ft. 5 ktsb crowd.  Always have a clean bottom, though.  doesn't have to be polished, but wipe it down day before or day of.  And there's no way to make Dacron sails "look fast"...the trim is either fast or not, and upwind, our main seldom "looked" fast when it was.  We always carried a bubble and tried like the dickens to get the leech free.

Also, it seemed on light air point to points, mast height, clean bottom and helm concentration counted for more than fancy sails at our level.  There is a certain "zen" to helming in <5 knot winds.  Strength, ultimate sail shape, planing ability don't help, but keeping an eye on the cats paws, avoiding movement out of frustration, patiently waiting out maneuvers seems to count for a lot.  And we get a lot of light air races around here.  Of course, if it's happening out in front of 'Naptown with dozens of SeaRays zooming around waking you in the Maytag machine, or getting blanketed by towering A0 rigs rolling over the top, it all sucks no matter what, but in the rivers and calmer areas, I kind of like it.

#91 zenmasterfred

zenmasterfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:18 AM

Yupper, done a lot of racing, now a cruiser, my former wife once answered when someone asked if I still raced and she said not unless I could see another boat. Enough said, sail fast and armido fuck off...

#92 boatyardboy

boatyardboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

Back to Ajax's spring:  It'd be interesting to compare notes w/ Tartan30 sailors, which I was until recently.  There used to be a clutch of them down on the West/Rhode, and they've rated close to the P30 for years around here.  We always struggled on W/L, but the point to point or when a shift got us to reaching was always more interesting relative to the 27-30 ft. 5 ktsb crowd.  Always have a clean bottom, though.  doesn't have to be polished, but wipe it down day before or day of.  And there's no way to make Dacron sails "look fast"...the trim is either fast or not, and upwind, our main seldom "looked" fast when it was.  We always carried a bubble and tried like the dickens to get the leech free.

Also, it seemed on light air point to points, mast height, clean bottom and helm concentration counted for more than fancy sails at our level.  There is a certain "zen" to helming in <5 knot winds.  Strength, ultimate sail shape, planing ability don't help, but keeping an eye on the cats paws, avoiding movement out of frustration, patiently waiting out maneuvers seems to count for a lot.  And we get a lot of light air races around here.  Of course, if it's happening out in front of 'Naptown with dozens of SeaRays zooming around waking you in the Maytag machine, or getting blanketed by towering A0 rigs rolling over the top, it all sucks no matter what, but in the rivers and calmer areas, I kind of like it.

That's exactly how we would win in a worn out CNC34, good tactics sail trim. We have pulled out some bullets and wins against much lower rated boats in the past. We still do alright even with half of the crew gone and a mixup of randoms every week.

#93 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

I miss Slug Zitski.

Slug sailed boats that were so big most of us couldn't comprehend what he was talking about, I found some of what he had to say quite interesting.  He just had a special way of telling it.

#94 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Wow, you guys have spun out of control in my absence.

Estar-  Sorry I missed you. I looked around and realized that my house had gotten out of control, so I spent all of Saturday making it less of an embarrassment. I spent Sunday taking care of Mother's Day things. I WILL link up with you before you head north. (Unless you've already left)

You guys think the panties are odd? On Sunday, I found part of a chicken wing in my cockpit, and discovered a racy, red bra in my V-berth that had absolutely nothing to do with me or anyone that I'm dating. I immediately texted Clove Hitch asking what kind of head games he's playing. Turns out, he had nothing to do with it. The chicken wing was probably snatched from the trash by a bird, and dropped into my boat. The bra turned out to be from a crew member, who always changes from her work clothes, into her "super hero" sailing clothes. I must say, I was totally baffled at first!

BayGal-  You're far too kind. :)

Chessiebaysailor has nailed my situation. I'm in the West/Rhode rivers.  Alas, the Tartan 30 population has dwindled and those that remain are no longer raced. Ditto with the Pearson 30's. There are 4 or 5 in my river alone, and they refuse to race. I've asked them.

Bull City- Sorry for the shit storm.  I was honestly just excited about the weather finally turning for the better, and was looking for good ideas from other people. Please ignore and discreetly step around the steaming pile in the middle of the thread.

Hey, Spinsheet Magazine has this thing called the "Century Club".  Spend 100 days on the water this year, submit some kind of log document to show it, and get recognized. I'm saving all of my GPS tracks as .gpx files and I'm going to send them in. I know I can do 100 days, easy. My fellow Bay sailors should get in on this!

#95 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

Ajax,

None of my business and forgive me if its obvious but if you want a boat in a class that is more fun to race in (nothing against PHRF B/C but you sound more interested in OD), like cruising as well as racing and want a symetrical chute, sell the Pearson and buy an Alberg 30 or Cal 25 for a quarter of the price.  I am not an owner in either, just  sayin...

And come on; 100 days is way too easy.  There are 52 weeks in the year.  Frostbite the Laser all winter at SSA, Snipe or Laser every Tuesday at SSA in summer, MRSA every Wednesday, the weekend racuing, daysailing and family trips... heck we usually get to 150.  Always wanted the milestone of 50% of the days on the water but never been able to hit one.  Do it for you; not Spinsheet?!

Heck, come do DTM instead of the short race and cruise back the long way around.  Five fun days in the bag.

Wess

Fastest BBQ sailing on the Bay

#96 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

No surprise whatsoever you are the next to post. You are at the top of the list of people who post crude, demeaning and provacative comments.  Nothing insulting or demeaning in my first post.  Just because you disagree with my proposition, doesn't make it so.  And, it's predictable you'll make no admission Ajax was among the first to attack. ;)

A preoccupation with right and wrong is a sure sign of arrested development, armido…

Ajax, the racing you have under your belt makes you a better cruiser; no doubt of that. Bring the discussion on… CA style of course.

#97 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Really for any "big boat" you might race, you can do better as a racer finding a OD class and leaving the big boat in cruising mode.
I can find something to race all in - boat, sails, trailer, outboard, and beer - for considerably less than a new set of sails for my boat. OTOH if you want to be a better Pearson 30 sailor, getting the Pearson 30 out on the course way to do it. I remember back in the day when our P-30 was one of the "hot boats" in the fleet. We bought her brand new with a genoa and a spinakers for $16,000 B) That was a LONG time ago.

Ajax,

None of my business and forgive me if its obvious but if you want a boat in a class that is more fun to race in (nothing against PHRF B/C but you sound more interested in OD), like cruising as well as racing and want a symetrical chute, sell the Pearson and buy an Alberg 30 or Cal 25 for a quarter of the price.  I am not an owner in either, just  sayin...

And come on; 100 days is way too easy.  There are 52 weeks in the year.  Frostbite the Laser all winter at SSA, Snipe or Laser every Tuesday at SSA in summer, MRSA every Wednesday, the weekend racuing, daysailing and family trips... heck we usually get to 150.  Always wanted the milestone of 50% of the days on the water but never been able to hit one.  Do it for you; not Spinsheet?!

Heck, come do DTM instead of the short race and cruise back the long way around.  Five fun days in the bag.

Wess

Fastest BBQ sailing on the Bay

#98 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

Wess is certainly right that the Alberg 30 and Cal 25 are popular OD fleets on the Chesapeake.

The Pearson 30 was right along with them.

What happened? Well, we can argue the cause all day long, but the simple fact is, fleets come and go, and by the time I buy a Cal 25, and get it all dialed in, the locals may have lost interest in them, and now I'm sailing an orphan again.  I'll stick with what I've got.

There are a few P30's still racing, such as "Heyday", who took 2nd place, PHRF C in last year's Gov Cup. I'm not totally alone. I've actually tried to revive the P30 class, but I was advised that it would draw boats away from PHRF C, which is already struggling. So, rather than spread ourselves even thinner, I put it on the back burner for now.

#99 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

Making OD classes out of "big boats" is always a chicken-and-egg problem. A 30 foot boat, even if you get one free, is an expensive propostion for most people to maintain. No one wants to spend the money on the slip, the boat, sails, etc. and HOPE a class springs to life. I do feel your pain. When we had a Pearson 30 we considered her a fantastic boat to race and cruise. Here we are winning (I think - I hope) a race. One thing you can do to not cannibalize the PHRF fleet is do a "race within a race". Make the P-30 class races PHRF races and just get your own trophies for the order the P-30s finish in.

Attached Files

• Attached File  p30a.jpg   15.07K   16 downloads

#100 BayGal

BayGal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hey, Spinsheet Magazine has this thing called the "Century Club".  Spend 100 days on the water this year, submit some kind of log document to show it, and get recognized. I'm saving all of my GPS tracks as .gpx files and I'm going to send them in. I know I can do 100 days, easy. My fellow Bay sailors should get in on this!

100 days is easy. We are still early in the season and I'm already at over 30 and that does not count tonight or thursdays races or friday saturday and sunday cruising plans. ( no plans weds night yet)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Racer cruisers, cruiser racers, racing, cruising

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users