#2 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:27 AM

Must be an optical delusion -

Surprising how dry a ride that is, I know flat water but still impressive.

#3 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

Nice!

#4 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

Can you imagine how much faster it would have gone without that club foot cutoff stump on the keel.

#5 Snapper95

Snapper95

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

As long as it is faster than the other J/70's in the race...

#6 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Can you imagine how much faster it would have gone without that club foot cutoff stump on the keel.

If a J/70 do +18 knots with ease and a J/111 does +22, there must be some magic going on  :D

#7 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

so .. what a j/88 should do?

:D

#8 Snapper95

Snapper95

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

Well, if you get it going fast enough the foot becomes a foiling surface-

https://m.facebook.c...100000109346959

#9 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

Well, if you get it going fast enough the foot becomes a foiling surface-

https://m.facebook.c...100000109346959

I thought the speed came from the patented speed vortex created by the cavitation plate end effect while in the fourth mode

#10 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

An early prototype Gen 1

CAM00190_zps49b4df8f.jpg

#11 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

If a J/70 do +18 knots with ease and a J/111 does +22, there must be some magic going on  :D

20' swell? 5 knot current? Video or it didn't happen...

#12 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

20' swell? 5 knot current? Video or it didn't happen...

+22 in a J/111 is perfectly doable. Video below. I've done 18+ solo with ours.

#13 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

I looked out my office widow earlier today and saw 1 going down I287 at about 18.4 knots

#14 scaredsheep

scaredsheep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:eating grass

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

did 19 mph j 27 daysailing w code zero

#15 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:Forward of the mast.
    Moore 5oh

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

but did you put the kite up in 60 knots?

#16 Notorious B.I.G

Notorious B.I.G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

that doesn't make sense

#17 scaredsheep

scaredsheep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:eating grass

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

that doesn't make sense

#18 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Doesn't look like they are sitting far enough back - they would have probably been able to sustain 16+ for more than a split second if they had gotten a little more cozy in the back of the bus.

Hours on end doing 19+ in big seas and 30+ knots of wind on an Express 27. We were later informed by a larger boat with proper mast head gear that they were seeing winds reaching into the 50+ range. Might explain why we were doing 20-21 at the tops of the waves and dropping into the 19's between the waves. Bow wake on both sides of the boat was 2-3 higher than the deck and back to the chain plates, driver basically had to look between the bow wake to drive. I recall it was like that from about 6pm till about 10am the next day.

#19 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

Doesn't look like they are sitting far enough back - they would have probably been able to sustain 16+ for more than a split second if they had gotten a little more cozy in the back of the bus.

Hours on end doing 19+ in big seas and 30+ knots of wind on an Express 27. We were later informed by a larger boat with proper mast head gear that they were seeing winds reaching into the 50+ range. Might explain why we were doing 20-21 at the tops of the waves and dropping into the 19's between the waves. Bow wake on both sides of the boat was 2-3 higher than the deck and back to the chain plates, driver basically had to look between the bow wake to drive. I recall it was like that from about 6pm till about 10am the next day.

Your on drugs if you think :

1 An express 27 would go 19+ for hours

2 If you think an Express 27 could with stand 50+ knots of breeze

Bottle that shit up move out to CO and sell that shit. You will be a millionaire in weeks 

#20 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:55 PM

Bottle that shit up move out to CO and sell that shit. You will be a millionaire in weeks 

Gots picts some place we weren't the only ones several other expresses did the same that race. Hell the Olson 30 with a cheeta graphic on it pegged higher speeds than we saw. The new SC52 with carbon floor boards blew the course record out of the water. Well over 100 racers did that race no need to bottle it up for you. I just feel sorry for you sounds like you live some place where you would never get conditions that could do that for a whole fleet of boats. As for the Express 27 vs wind I'd take the Express over a first 40.7 any day pretty much the whole fleet in SF has been through 40+ many times with very little to worry about. Hell it can blow 40 through the GG several times a year during major sailing weekends.

There is a good reason the Santa Cruz boats are considered great boats they were built to sail in stuff that can be down right wicked.

#21 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:Forward of the mast.
    Moore 5oh

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:39 AM

Gots picts some place we weren't the only ones several other expresses did the same that race. Hell the Olson 30 with a cheeta graphic on it pegged higher speeds than we saw. The new SC52 with carbon floor boards blew the course record out of the water. Well over 100 racers did that race no need to bottle it up for you. I just feel sorry for you sounds like you live some place where you would never get conditions that could do that for a whole fleet of boats. As for the Express 27 vs wind I'd take the Express over a first 40.7 any day pretty much the whole fleet in SF has been through 40+ many times with very little to worry about. Hell it can blow 40 through the GG several times a year during major sailing weekends.

There is a good reason the Santa Cruz boats are considered great boats they were built to sail in stuff that can be down right wicked.

Pics would be much appreciated if you have them...sounds badass

#22 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:59 AM

I don't know about 40 kts, but certainly the bow wave thing happens on an Express27

5384729_f520.jpg

#23 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:35 AM

Read Squallbusters off of the E27 website. Gary Clifford (RIP) and JL were halfway to HI and only 50 miles behind Merlin when they had to take a break. I sailed the Tiburon Nationals in 40+ and the boat was fine. The crew, all of us, were terrified. There was carnage.

#24 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:49 AM

Read Squallbusters off of the E27 website. Gary Clifford (RIP) and JL were halfway to HI and only 50 miles behind Merlin when they had to take a break. I sailed the Tiburon Nationals in 40+ and the boat was fine. The crew, all of us, were terrified. There was carnage.

That was the one off the Marin head lands right? I think my boom on the cruiser is the remains from the rig dropped during that event. Gusty as heck tucked up against marin if I recall.

got stuck trying to race a J/24 OD event on the city front one time when it was blowing 36 at the windward bouy. Only time we nearly sank the J/24 on a white sails small jib round down came back up with nearly a foot of water below and that was with the rear hatches glassed in!!! Worst abuse anyone could dish out on crew is racing j/24's on the city front.

#25 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:13 AM

No, this was 4-5 years ago. We raced off of the Tiburon YC/Paradise. Will advertised it as "the kinder, gentler Nationals" hoping for less breeze than the City Front or Circle courses.

On Friday it fucking nuked. 42+.

Scheduled for three races, 2 W/L and one long distance race, we called it a day after race two. Score: Skip and Jody broke the boom on Simba, Mars Attacks had a mass crew overboard. El Raton pulled the traveler out of their deck. Great White dropped the rig. At least two pretzeled spinny poles. Just sailing ack into the Tiburon YC, around the dredge was a hazardous hate mission.

Saturday it dropped into the 30's and it felt doable.

Sunday it was down another 10, it felt calm, but the damage had been done. Will P. walked away with the prize. He and his crew sailed really well in some real breeze.

#26 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

No, this was 4-5 years ago. We raced off of the Tiburon YC/Paradise. Will advertised it as "the kinder, gentler Nationals" hoping for less breeze than the City Front or Circle courses.

On Friday it fucking nuked. 42+.

Scheduled for three races, 2 W/L and one long distance race, we called it a day after race two. Score: Skip and Jody broke the boom on Simba, Mars Attacks had a mass crew overboard. El Raton pulled the traveler out of their deck. Great White dropped the rig. At least two pretzeled spinny poles. Just sailing ack into the Tiburon YC, around the dredge was a hazardous hate mission.

Saturday it dropped into the 30's and it felt doable.

Sunday it was down another 10, it felt calm, but the damage had been done. Will P. walked away with the prize. He and his crew sailed really well in some real breeze.

Yep same one I was thinking of. Great White's old mast is my upgraded boom on the E28 LOL. Almost bought Great White, back in like 2002. The 2000 PAC CUP we passed Great White father son double handed team right at the finish man did their trash smell bad.

Will can sail in the heavy stuff and the light stuff. In like 2004 Berkely midwinters championships we had one of those fronts blow through mid race. That was when I was racing the U20 and right when Peter Lyon's started his photo gig. Last down wind run we rounded the mark with Will and blew by him only to have an epic round down whip out about mid way to the line. Tore the head off the kite finished be hind about 4 other boats with Kami Richards on the W28 right behind us. He told us they were seeing 40+ at the mast head behind us when we nearly went ass over end on the U20. Last through water speed reading we saw on the U20 was 16knots which 15yrs racing that boat we had only seen one other time and that had a similar result.

Will rebuilt that kite for me, but he thought we owed him time with the U20 till he looked up the rating at the awards gathering and came over and said Damn you guys were hauling ass!!! HA HA

#27 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

it's memorialized in sharpie cartoon form on lightnup's chart table... 

#28 Notorious B.I.G

Notorious B.I.G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

that doesn't make sense

#29 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist