Anyone with experience with the Javelin 14' Skiff?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Stuff4Toys.com

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

I was banging around YouTube this morning looking at boat building videos, and ran across this fellow building a Javelin 14' Glass/Foam sandwich skiff.  www.javelins.org is this a decent competitive skiff design?

Any fleets in SE USA?

BenSmall.jpg

#2 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,801 posts
  • Interests:Dinghies, especially box rule classes.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

Seems to be a really neat boat, although I haven't sailed one. First class pedigree. AFAIK boats in Aus and NZ only.

#3 3Hulls

3Hulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

Here's the video I was watching

#4 Andrew P

Andrew P

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

I think it was originally a Spencer design from NZ.

I've sailed them back in the day and they were/are great boats , with fleets based in Lake Maquarrie, Melbourne and Perth.

I think the maquarrie fleet has died off and the Melbourne fleet is seemingly going the same way. 

That said they are a great boat to sail. 

#5 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

I think it was originally a Spencer design from NZ.

I've sailed them back in the day and they were/are great boats , with fleets based in Lake Maquarrie, Melbourne and Perth.

I think the maquarrie fleet has died off and the Melbourne fleet is seemingly going the same way. 

That said they are a great boat to sail. 

Javelin is basically a bigger Cherub.  Flying Ant was another Spencer design of the time that was smaller than a Cherub.  

Don't know where and how many Javelins are sailed these days but I don't recall them ever having large fleets here in Sydney.  I-14 is faster. more expensive and more tricky to sail, Javelin a bit more user-friendly but hard to imagine there's much of a market for that boat these days.  29er would be a modern equivalent and possibly cheaper.

#6 dwlee

dwlee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

There are active fleets in NZ, Melbourne and Perth. There have been a few built in North America over the years, but I don't know of any in SE area. With equally skilled sailors the Javelin is faster then a 29er and the Javelin can be sailed competitively with a much greater range of crew weights (140 to 180kg) due to having more freedom set the boat up to suit. If you had a Javelin professionally built it would be more expensive than a 29er but should be cheaper than a I-14.

The design that was built in Agustin's video was designed about 15 years ago and has won multiply nationals in NZ and Australia as well as the Interdominions (between NZ and OZ). It's a good all round design without any particular vices, but there are other Javelin designs that are faster in specific conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users