• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 Skol

Skol

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:foredeck overboard expert. PBR can spinnaker pole construction. bailing water.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

We cooked for years on a portable propane BBQ. It's important to get a cast aluminum one, the stamped steel crap lasts for about 14 seconds.

The BBQ is cool enough after an hour to stow away belowdecks. We kept ours in the lazarette of our 24-foot Shark, along with an aluminum baking sheet which we used to protect the deck under the BBQ. In use, it sat on the aft deck over the lazarette. We also had a single-burner and a two-burner propane stove on board, so we could do some pretty impressive meals.

Gas_Grill_Die_cast_Aluminum_Portable_BBQ

that little grill is sweet!  any specific brand to look for?   ... maybe follow the URL on the pic.  duh.  

#102 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

We cooked for years on a portable propane BBQ. It's important to get a cast aluminum one, the stamped steel crap lasts for about 14 seconds.

The BBQ is cool enough after an hour to stow away belowdecks. We kept ours in the lazarette of our 24-foot Shark, along with an aluminum baking sheet which we used to protect the deck under the BBQ. In use, it sat on the aft deck over the lazarette. We also had a single-burner and a two-burner propane stove on board, so we could do some pretty impressive meals.

Gas_Grill_Die_cast_Aluminum_Portable_BBQ

that little grill is sweet!  any specific brand to look for?  

The names keep changing...you can tell the better ones by the quality of the casting.

Edit: look for a stainless burner.

#103 psychosailing

psychosailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Location:http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0yqdBxMvr0uKvrusCCqNy6087OrQtXpUS

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

I liveaboard a 29ft and I can't live without a 2 burner + oven stainless steel propane stove.

I also have an italian coffee machine you use on the stove. Oh yes, and a Terrible Towel to dry dishes.

stove1.jpgstove2.jpg

Psycho'  looks like you've got a nicely sized galley.  I'd have to reconfigure the port side settee and lockers to fit a full size stove like yours.  Are you able to refill propane at your marina?   Do you ever notice moisture buildup with day-to-day use on your 29?  

One of my big drawbacks to propane, for me, is that I've long since gotten rid of my car.  Around here you have to drive somewhere At least with kerosene I can order 5 gallon containers of K-1 and have it shipped.  Diesel would be optimal.   Another big problem with propane in a big metro area is that the common Blue Rhino and tank exchange programs are colossal ripoffs.  There are 2 places you can go to in the East Bay for bulk refills with your own tank, but it's about a 2hr round trip from my marina with your own wheels.  

My columbia 29 came with a side dinette which is also our double bunk on port side and the long skinny galley on starboard. We preferred this layout over other options with classical two side berths. To fit the stove we had to rip out two drawers and do some minor carpentry modifications. We didn't lost too much storage because pots and pans live in the oven when not in use, still it was a difficult decision but we are happy we made it.

You are right Skol, for some reason US is the worst place on earth to refill your propane tank. It's also a place where you are screwed if you don't have your own wheels. In South America, Caribbean and Europe it's less of a problem to find propane.

A full tank lasts about 3 months, so when it's 2 months since last refill I start to think about it and look for a refill, so I have a month time to find the best situation. If I had enough storage I would have a spare tank, but it's not my case. Anyway I always find a way to get a lift or a to get to a close enough hardware store to refill my tank. Marinas also deal with propane addicts so they are able to arrange something for you.

Nice work shoehorning in that stove.  The  side galley layouts are a definite plus I think.   A buddy of mine has a Rawson 30 that is configured very similarly and it definitely seems to work better than the miniature L-shaped galleys typically found on boats our size.   

re: propane availability - It seems like it's just the coastal cities.   Back in the interior states where I grew up, propane is a very common fuel source for homes in rural areas and can be had inexpensively virtually anywhere.  You could just about flag down one of the trucks if you were to wait an hour.   

There is a couple who refitted an albin vega and I remember they installed a full size stove where the cabin bunk was. They have a lot of videos of the rebuild in their website:

http://velocir.com/albin-vega-rebuild/

It' definitely a huuuuuuge project.

#104 psychosailing

psychosailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Location:http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0yqdBxMvr0uKvrusCCqNy6087OrQtXpUS

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

I liveaboard a 29ft and I can't live without a 2 burner + oven stainless steel propane stove.

I also have an italian coffee machine you use on the stove. Oh yes, and a Terrible Towel to dry dishes.

stove1.jpgstove2.jpg

Psycho'  looks like you've got a nicely sized galley.  I'd have to reconfigure the port side settee and lockers to fit a full size stove like yours.  Are you able to refill propane at your marina?   Do you ever notice moisture buildup with day-to-day use on your 29?  

One of my big drawbacks to propane, for me, is that I've long since gotten rid of my car.  Around here you have to drive somewhere At least with kerosene I can order 5 gallon containers of K-1 and have it shipped.  Diesel would be optimal.   Another big problem with propane in a big metro area is that the common Blue Rhino and tank exchange programs are colossal ripoffs.  There are 2 places you can go to in the East Bay for bulk refills with your own tank, but it's about a 2hr round trip from my marina with your own wheels.  

My columbia 29 came with a side dinette which is also our double bunk on port side and the long skinny galley on starboard. We preferred this layout over other options with classical two side berths. To fit the stove we had to rip out two drawers and do some minor carpentry modifications. We didn't lost too much storage because pots and pans live in the oven when not in use, still it was a difficult decision but we are happy we made it.

You are right Skol, for some reason US is the worst place on earth to refill your propane tank. It's also a place where you are screwed if you don't have your own wheels. In South America, Caribbean and Europe it's less of a problem to find propane.

A full tank lasts about 3 months, so when it's 2 months since last refill I start to think about it and look for a refill, so I have a month time to find the best situation. If I had enough storage I would have a spare tank, but it's not my case. Anyway I always find a way to get a lift or a to get to a close enough hardware store to refill my tank. Marinas also deal with propane addicts so they are able to arrange something for you.

Nice work shoehorning in that stove.  The  side galley layouts are a definite plus I think.   A buddy of mine has a Rawson 30 that is configured very similarly and it definitely seems to work better than the miniature L-shaped galleys typically found on boats our size.   

re: propane availability - It seems like it's just the coastal cities.   Back in the interior states where I grew up, propane is a very common fuel source for homes in rural areas and can be had inexpensively virtually anywhere.  You could just about flag down one of the trucks if you were to wait an hour.   

There is a couple who refitted an albin vega and I remember they installed a full size stove where the cabin bunk was. They have a lot of videos of the rebuild in their website:

http://velocir.com/albin-vega-rebuild/

It' definitely a huuuuuuge project.

Gimballed stove at min 6:45 of the main video.

#105 Alex W

Alex W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:sailboats, bikes, metalworking, diy

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:26 AM

The coffee situation is my biggest conundrum.   The AeroPress produces a vastly superior cup with great repeatability.

I don't understand the conundrum?  The AeroPress is ideal for boat use (and home use, and office use, thus I have 3 of them).

#106 Obsessed

Obsessed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

How do people keep their cupboards tidy? I find that my wife jams as much stuff in and then slams the cupboard shut, needless to say when you open it again everything falls out. Thinking off food, plates, cups etc rather than safety gear, tools and the like 

#107 Alex W

Alex W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:sailboats, bikes, metalworking, diy

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:30 AM

More top loading/vertical cupboards.  Our Pearson also has dish storage behind the stove and sink that sits in a recess that is about 4" deep and 3" across.  We can keep a 4-setting set of plates, cups, and bowls there without them crashing down if the boat heels and without using the small cupboard for storing that stuff either.

I do need to come up with better ideas for storage of small items in deep drawers.  That is where our real mess is.  Maybe I need to build in a couple of sliding trays.

#108 waeshael

waeshael

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Ocean Voyaging.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

A stove with an oven. And a big sink. We have used a Mariner stove with oven, grill and two burners, and we can bake bread, quiche, roast chicken, cobblers. It has been on the boat for 40 years and the piezo igniters still work. The oven is temperature controlled. We use a pressure cooker at sea. We never drink coffee under way - it makes us sick. We use a French press at anchor, and an espresso maker that bubbles away on the stove. We use a dutch oven (La creuset) to mix stuff in and then bake in the oven.

#109 waeshael

waeshael

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:43 AM

Added an Engle fridge/freezer, the biggest one and put it in the bow. It has been running for several years from solar panels. I set it on freezer mode to see how much power it wojuld need. I put a few frozen dinners in and some bread, and left it for a couple of months and it was still frozen. It needs 5 amps for freezer mode versus 2 Amps for fridge mode, and it cycles frequently, so I guess it uses about 80 A-Hrs a day in freezer mode. I think it will do better if it is full of stuff so there is less air space. As a fridge it is amazing, quiet and cycles infrequently and uses about 25 A-Hrs a day. Air cooled and it doesn't put out much heat at all. I mounted an extraction fan over it to take away the heat, but haven't needed to turn in on in a year. 

#110 waeshael

waeshael

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Put a YETI cooler in the cockpit. It's just the right height to help us climb in an out of the cabin. 40 lbs of ice will last five days. Nice to have ice at sea.

#111 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

More top loading/vertical cupboards.  Our Pearson also has dish storage behind the stove and sink that sits in a recess that is about 4" deep and 3" across.  We can keep a 4-setting set of plates, cups, and bowls there without them crashing down if the boat heels and without using the small cupboard for storing that stuff either.

I do need to come up with better ideas for storage of small items in deep drawers.  That is where our real mess is.  Maybe I need to build in a couple of sliding trays.

These are the two best things for storing small items. Both come in several sizes so one is bound to suit.

http://www.sterilite...ry=21&section=1

http://www.sterilite...ry=46&section=1

There are four of the baskets in my fridge which is a huge 6 cu/ft. That means I can empty the fridge with only four lifts. Nice. The lidded ones, if sealed, stop cans going rusty too.

#112 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:30 AM

These are the two best things for storing small items. Both come in several sizes so one is bound to suit.

http://www.sterilite...ry=21&section=1

http://www.sterilite...ry=46&section=1

There are four of the baskets in my fridge which is a huge 6 cu/ft. That means I can empty the fridge with only four lifts. Nice. The lidded ones, if sealed, stop cans going rusty too.

We use four of the 1624's in our home freezer, they are standing up well.

#113 jaybird1111

jaybird1111

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

http://www.theboatgalley.com

#114 triciarob

triciarob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:yes we have interests

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

If you don't want propane aboard, Taylor Paraffin Stoves are the way to go.

They're expensive, but you can't get any better.

Note: Taylor also make a few gas models but I've not used them but I assume they are just as well made as their paraffin models.

I've got a Taylors gas model, O41 I think the model number is.  It's mounted athwart ship and isn't gimballed, but I just use deep pots when we are under way.  Haven't had a prob yet.  Not sure if Taylors are still making stoves, but you can probably still get them. 

Tricia

Attached Files

#115 Skol

Skol

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:foredeck overboard expert. PBR can spinnaker pole construction. bailing water.

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

The coffee situation is my biggest conundrum.   The AeroPress produces a vastly superior cup with great repeatability.

I don't understand the conundrum?  The AeroPress is ideal for boat use (and home use, and office use, thus I have 3 of them).

I came to the same conclusion.   have one on order.   

#116 Dilligaf0220

Dilligaf0220

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

Meh, if I'm going to deal with filters & clean giggly parts per cup, I just go straight for the vacuum brewing contraption I bodged up for $10. Better coffee too IMHO.
Only really use it with company over at anchor.

And paraffin/white gas/Coleman fuel is great to cook with, but ungodly expensive around here at $20/gallon.

#117 Skol

Skol

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:36 AM

I've been making cowboy coffe using the pan from a WWII era mess kit. Feels cool but it's a messy pita.

For heat I've been using a single burner propane stove; just screws onto one of the small bottles. despite the earlier critique I can't complain about instant clean heat. So ...

A removable wooden seat spans the two cockpit benches at the aft end of the cockpit on my boat. I was looking and thinking that's a perfect open air cubby for a propane tank. I can build a mount in the inside of the transom and it'll be suspended right over a 2" drain and be well protected. Easy spot to run a fitting that will run the pipe in the inside of the lazarette forward to the bulkhead. I'm Prolly going this route and will gimbal a 2 burner propane stovetop and forget about an oven. I suppose I get to chase down all the safety parts now a far as solenoid a shutoffs etc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: galley, stove, ice box, cookware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users