• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Kites
    Surfing
    Dogs
    Anarchy

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

Yes, I know this is all very personal to the sailor, but...

Who has good experience with light wind gear? Any obvious standouts for kites? I know most light weight, high surface area, buoyant boards will go in the vespers, but is there a good choice for someone like me who doesn't want to wait for a 20+ knot day?

#2 ozchrisb

ozchrisb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:15 AM

12m,15m, or 18m Ozone Chrono and a Sword or Spotz foil seems to be the current state of the light wind art.

#3 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

Flysurfer make some very nice light weather boards and kites, although not cheap it probably is the best stuff out there for riding earlier than everyone else.

The Naish Dyno is very popular with kite racers and should be good for the light stuff as well.

#4 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

I got a Flysurfer speed 3 which is the 12mtr version. Pulls like a 14mtr LEI. Maybe the 15mtr or 19mtr might suit you.  I may just get the 15mtr myself.

They are good kites, not sure if the latest Speed 4 doesn't have a range of the larger sizes, the 4 has a much simpler bridle system.  If you got down the Flysurfer route then make sure to get some instruction for launching and landing, especially if you are solo.  Its not that big a deal to learn, solo launching even in a fairly big breeze isn't that hard to do. 

I only use my standard twin tip but might just get the Flysurfer FlyDoor for light winds. I don't get that many light wind days to be honest, if they are light they tend to drop to flat calm.

#5 Gregzore

Gregzore

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

A flysurfer 21 m2 kite will get you going in almost any wind, just make sure you are on the beach if white caps start showing up... 12 knots of wind is scary with the speed 3 21m2 beast.

#6 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

I've spent some time on a Flysurfer Speed 3 19m.  Definitely gets you going when everyone else is on the beach.  Flies really high overhead at 12 o'clock which takes some getting used to.

As mentioned previously once the breeze creeps up a little you suddenly feel like you're getting pulled by a train.  The one I used was an older model, and it did not like to turn once it got really powered which led to a couple close calls coming back into the beach.  I'm sure there have been improvements in control with newer models.

#7 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

I've spent some time on a Flysurfer Speed 3 19m.  Definitely gets you going when everyone else is on the beach.  Flies really high overhead at 12 o'clock which takes some getting used to.

As mentioned previously once the breeze creeps up a little you suddenly feel like you're getting pulled by a train.  The one I used was an older model, and it did not like to turn once it got really powered which led to a couple close calls coming back into the beach.  I'm sure there have been improvements in control with newer models.

Not recommended!  keep any foil kite on either side of noon.  11 or 1 would be much safer!

#8 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

Not recommended!  keep any foil kite on either side of noon.  11 or 1 would be much safer!

Maybe when it's blowing 20.

When it's blowing a steady 5 with gusts to 8, parking it anywhere but dead overhead (where the breeze is better) with slight movement to give it some apparent can result in the 19m foil turning into a 19m sea anchor or 19m sea grape shade structure, depending on which way it falls out of the sky.

My experience anyway.  Only used the thing on maybe half a dozen occasions.

#9 MexKites

MexKites

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, SUP, Photography, Travelling, Kiteboarding.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:40 AM

Ozone 17m Zephyr and Slingshot Turbine 17m work really well in light winds as well, you can kiteloop them and jump and have fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users