53 replies to this topic

#1 tilt

tilt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

Me and Robert Palmer..."searching for clues",  So ... Given the end of the ebb, and start of a huge flood, where would you go first ?????

I'm considering Jeff head , Meadow point, Spring beach , ....  but then again in the words of John Candy .. "I'm an aggressive gambler."

Thanks-

John

Dance

#2 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:45 AM

No plan survives contact with the enemy. Or in this case with the fickle winds on the Sound this time of year. Best part is there won't be a fleet to follow. It will be mayhem!

#3 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Me and Robert Palmer..."searching for clues",  So ... Given the end of the ebb, and start of a huge flood, where would you go first ?????

I'm considering Jeff head , Meadow point, Spring beach , ....  but then again in the words of John Candy .. "I'm an aggressive gambler."

Thanks-

John

Dance

Most people probably have no idea WTF we're talking about (or care?). 3 Buoy Fiasco. Pursuit race, rounding 3 marks in any order and in any direction. http://portmadisonyc.org/?p=3442

Local knowledge of currents should prove very helpful. Like where are the back eddies?

#4 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

We will have Frankie out there.

#5 tilt

tilt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:36 AM

Right now registration is at 50 boats..... (this year CYC Blakely Rock had 62)... Pig Roast.... anchor out launch service... what's not to love ?????

Not too late to sign up......

http://portmadisonyc.org/?page_id=2593

#6 Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

Up to 54 boats and counting!

#7 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

From 22 feet to 60 feet.

#8 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

62'

#9 Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

and over an hour between the first and last boats start time!

#10 tilt

tilt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

Now serving 61 boats.........

#11 Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

#12 sockeye

sockeye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

Shamless comerce division: pig is being roasted by Jeff Waite, owner of the Harbour Pub as a favor to me. Please spend your beer & food dollars in Winslow at the Harbour Pub.

#13 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Shamless comerce division: pig is being roasted by Jeff Waite, owner of the Harbour Pub as a favor to me. Please spend your beer & food dollars in Winslow at the Harbour Pub.

Is there anywhere else to eat on the Island? We always go to the Pub!!

#14 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

Sorry Kim and Bob. Didn't mean to cut Francis Lee short so to speak. Looking like a drifter by mid afternoon. Could help the boats starting first. Assuming they go the right way.

#15 Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

what if they go the left way?

#16 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:35 AM

That was a blast! Too bad the wind kind of disappeared towards the end, but even with the light air finish it was a great time on the Francis Lee.

Tough decision as to which way to go, and I am still unsure which was best. Sure made an interesting finish to have boats coming in from both directions. It was really nice to see Grayling out sailing! Cheers!

#17 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

Sorry Kim and Bob. Didn't mean to cut Francis Lee short so to speak. Looking like a drifter by mid afternoon. Could help the boats starting first. Assuming they go the right way.

60? 62? Not much difference, no worries.

#18 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Bob Perry just pointed out to me that we sailed the entire race without tacking. Lots of jibes, but not a single tack!

#19 Mr. Starbuck

Mr. Starbuck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

^ funny, same here. did not think about that till now either. I think that was the case for most CCW boats. Stbd to meadow and port to the finish. Great race and a good times at PMYC afterwards. 

#20 Mr. Starbuck

Mr. Starbuck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

and did anyone do a cross type route instead of just around one way or the other? We almost did but just followed the crowd ccw.

#21 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

I did not see any vessels except CW and CCW routes.

It was strange to be starting all by our selves on an empty line. But at least it was easier to find the marks by watch all the boats ahead.

We kept changing our minds as to which way to go until the last minute and then went CCW. I still don't know if that was the right way or not.

#22 Mr. Starbuck

Mr. Starbuck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

I was happy with CCW. Ace took the cake by going CW but the next three boats were CCW's. 

#23 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

My thoughts were clockwise would have been preferred, especially if the wind filled in on the course.

Still a crazy fun race to sail, no matter which way a crew chooses to go. Wish we had more pursuit races, because the chase makes a blast.

#24 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

We were feeling good about CCW until we weren't. The kite got hung up on the mast head at Spring and we didn't make it past Jeffs Head before the wind died.

Pursuit races are fun for those of us with boats that are not that good winding it up in the starting area with 10 other boats. It was nice to just time the start and go without dodging a bunch of other boats.

#25 tilt

tilt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Dance(CCW) had 2 gybes, on the  Meadow Point/Spring Beach leg and 2 tacks ( to clear air after a fun rounding, air masks dropped from our boom with the Q boat totally on top of us) after Spring Beach...  About a quarter across on the first leg from Pt. Monroe to Meadow point we toyed with the idea of bailing out and going to Spring  Beach , but even that early couldn't come to grips with splitting from Raptor.

Pork was fantastic ! Big thanks to the Public House (AKA "the Pub") for all of their help-  And to the Ben & Jennifer for RC and food service, awards duty and all that stuff !!!!!!!!!!

Next up the famous CRAB festival July 5 & 6.... Buoy racing Sat / Pursuit race Sunday

http://portmadisonyc.org/?page_id=1914

#26 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

and did anyone do a cross type route instead of just around one way or the other? We almost did but just followed the crowd ccw.

We had one boat in our class (FS 1) head diagonally to Spring Beach -- they got there as we sailed downwind from Meadow Point on a CCW track -- they looked to be going well on the way south to Meadow Pt., but my guess is that their Meadow Pt to Jeff Head route was death. We were at the dock for more than an hour when they came in. Not sure they even finished.

WWing

#27 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

Sorry about the poor quality from my phone camera and the sometimes shakiness of the guy operating it.

If the video doesn't auto generate HD, click on Youtube, then click on the gear in the lower right corner and click on 1080p for HD.

#28 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

Another great vid with awsome (shit, I HATE that word) music!

What a wonderful , wicked weapon is endwess waterline!

Great scene of the lumberjack designer standing in a giant puddle of line in the cockpit!

#29 Gypsy's Child

Gypsy's Child

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Learning to race my boat. Day sailing with family.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Certainly will seek out the aforementioned when dining on BI; best pig I've ever tasted. Thanks to all at PMYC and STYC for the race! A special thanks to Ben & Jennifer and their helpers for a job well done!!

#30 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Family - Since we captured Carbon in a bit of video, put one more together.

#31 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

<p>Great soundtrack Boomer, funny.</p>
<p>I thought the STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN track in the other vid was very clever.</p>
<p>I think in the end it was clear we went the wrong way round but I had no clear preference at the start myself. I can't complain.</p>
<p>I really enjoy the staggered start format. It simplifies starting tactics. &nbsp;I'm not keen on &quot;choosing your direction&quot;. I'd like to keep the fleet together more.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>We did not tack once during the entire race!</p>
<p>Lots of jibes but no tacks.</p>
<p>Rhumb line legs in light and shifty breezes are challenging. Do we go up and take advantage of the pointing ability of FRANCIS or do we stay low to avoid overstanding. I chose to stay low. But, I'm no Gary Jobson.</p>
<p>The one guy who tried to take us up ended up going high and he suffered big time after we sailed under him. CARBON was sailed smarter and dropped down to give us room to go over them relatively quickly and keep some clean air. They still laid the mark.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The &quot;funniest&quot; moment in the race came when we were approaching the &nbsp;leeward mark and getting the boat set up for the upwind leg. Everything was done carefully and with plenty of time as we rapidly approached the mark. Backstay, outhaul, main hal, all the usual upwind settings. The only thing left was to unroll the jib and drop the chute. Simple.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Then,,,the jib would not unfurl. Fack! WTF? Fack! &nbsp;We tried several times but it was not going to unfurl. We had the chute still up and the mark coming up quickly.</p>
<p>The entire crew went into full head scratch mode. Brute force had not worked. Then Kim said, &quot;Doh!&quot; and uncleated the furling line from its cleat hidden in the coaming. Bingo! The jib unfurled. We rounded and off we went feeling a bit stupid.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I would most definitely do that race again. It's fun to work your way through the fleet.</p>

#32 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

How the hell did I do that with all the editing marks?

#33 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

Thats one part of the takedown maneuver that I know won't be happening again!

#34 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

If the wind had filled in on the course more, it would have made the decision to go with current easier, but there was no wind up in the direction the current was flowing. So we choose to go where the wind was, which was a perfectly viable option as well.

Knowing that we'd get a lift once approaching Meadow Point like there usually is, perhaps we could have bared a bit more for speed. Wasn't sure if we'd get anymore wind in the light air by footing off a bit. Then the wind built just a wee bit as we crossed the sound, and once we neared Meadow Point got that usual lift that one gets approaching from the west.

The oh-fack moment approaching the Spring Beach buoy had me scratching my head for a moment. Seeing that the bottom were swiveling freely, really had me scratching my head. Fortunately Kim realized the furling line was cleated, because I was ready to climb the mast, and thinking, man I'm to old to be climbing masts. A big whew moment, when it all got sorted out.

We could have probably gone a wee bit more to the left to get more into the current which flows to Agate Pass, since the main current off Jeff Head is about a half mile offshore, but I believe we were pointing as high as we could. The other part about going left a bit, if it was even possible without tacking, is the wind offshore is a bit stronger in a southerly, because it starts to lift due to the high bluffs of Jeff Head.

Getting taken up by a boat not even in our class in the zephyrs beyond Jeff head was a bit puzzling. Figured he just wanted to mess with us.

Always find myself second guessing myself after a race if we didn't get the bullet. In hindsight we pretty much sailed a good race. Could we have picked up a bit more over the course by slightly footing off crossing the sound after the start. Maybe so or maybe not.

Could we have picked up more by getting maybe 500 yds to our left approaching Jeff Head to get maybe two tenths of a knot more current, maybe, maybe not. As it was, we were in more breeze then those immediately south of us in the main current approaching Jeff Head, and probably had more speed where we were. Following the parade that was in the main current in the dying breeze, would have probably given us dirty air. If there was a wee bit more breeze overall, perhaps going to the left would have helped a bit approaching Jeff Head, but very well may have been negated by the tack to get over there. I felt overall we made the right calls and ended up with a decent finish.

I prefer keeping the fleet on the same course for pursuit races, but at the same time the option does make for an interesting race. I'll be returning next year to do it again.

#35 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

Boomer:

Did you find out what kind of boat CARBON is?

#36 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Dibley 25...... The other boat we were checking out is a VX1

http://www.dibleymar.../sail/k250.html

#37 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

The white boat with a crew of two was the VX1?

#38 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Yes or that's what it appears to me....I could be wrong.

#39 UHMW

UHMW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

Thanks Family - Since we captured Carbon in a bit of video, put one more together.

Thanks so much Boomer!

We did okay in the race for a bunch of beginners. More importantly, I learned a whole bunch more, some of it so obvious it's almost embarrassing. I went with four of us total in the boat and that was way too heavy for the light air. In the future I'll pay more attention to the weather and crew weight.

We didn't get the heavier air spinnaker run I was hoping for and I tried to sail too deep a couple times to try to make up for it. Then as you pointed out I got caught on the wrong side of the current.

We're learning and having a great time with this new endeavor of sailboat racing.

Thanks Again! John Steiner

#40 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Your welcome John and my pleasure to put together a video for you.

#41 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Boomer:

I think the VX1 may have been the dark blue boat I buzzed when we were motoring back to Shilshole.

#42 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

You may be correct Bob. However I thought the boat we buzzed was the Sierra 26 UNO. Brad owns both DOS and UNO.

Attached Files

#43 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

VX1

Attached Files

• Attached File  201.jpg   78.78K   18 downloads

#44 UHMW

UHMW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

You may be correct Bob. However I thought the boat we buzzed was the Sierra 26 UNO. Brad owns both DOS and UNO.

Brad was sailing UNO, a light blue boat. Hard to see them go by they're going so fast! Plus I think the boat has a stealth mode, they came upon us out of nowhere.

#45 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, that's the boat but not the VX 1.

I don't recall seeing the VX 1.

#46 Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

Scott Susan Burbank were sailing their VX1, white boat. Small blue boat motoring back to shilshole was the Sierra...

#47 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:41 AM

Thanks Dick.

I thought the VX1 looked very interesting. A good boat for those conditions. How did they finish?

It's been a while since I raced. I notice that there are no K-40's out there anymore.

"Strange times Archie, strange times".

#48 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:26 AM

There was a Seaborn design out there!

#49 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:08 AM

There was a Seaborn design out there!

Actually, TWO Seaborn designs!

#50 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

Thanks Dick.
I thought the VX1 looked very interesting. A good boat for those conditions. How did they finish?
It's been a while since I raced. I notice that there are no K-40's out there anymore.

I actually found some results here: http://www.styc.org/.../2014/race1.pdf

#51 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:28 AM

Ah yes, Raptor!

#52 Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'll bet if you look at Portmadisonyc.org you'll find some results... :rolleyes:

#53 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Thanks Dick.

I actually found some results here: http://www.styc.org/.../2014/race1.pdf

I'll bet if you look at Portmadisonyc.org you'll find some results... :rolleyes:

Yes, and remarkably, they look just like the ones I found on Sloop Taverns link.

#54 Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

copy cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users