If the wind had filled in on the course more, it would have made the decision to go with current easier, but there was no wind up in the direction the current was flowing. So we choose to go where the wind was, which was a perfectly viable option as well.
Knowing that we'd get a lift once approaching Meadow Point like there usually is, perhaps we could have bared a bit more for speed. Wasn't sure if we'd get anymore wind in the light air by footing off a bit. Then the wind built just a wee bit as we crossed the sound, and once we neared Meadow Point got that usual lift that one gets approaching from the west.
The oh-fack moment approaching the Spring Beach buoy had me scratching my head for a moment. Seeing that the bottom were swiveling freely, really had me scratching my head. Fortunately Kim realized the furling line was cleated, because I was ready to climb the mast, and thinking, man I'm to old to be climbing masts. A big whew moment, when it all got sorted out.
We could have probably gone a wee bit more to the left to get more into the current which flows to Agate Pass, since the main current off Jeff Head is about a half mile offshore, but I believe we were pointing as high as we could. The other part about going left a bit, if it was even possible without tacking, is the wind offshore is a bit stronger in a southerly, because it starts to lift due to the high bluffs of Jeff Head.
Getting taken up by a boat not even in our class in the zephyrs beyond Jeff head was a bit puzzling. Figured he just wanted to mess with us.
Always find myself second guessing myself after a race if we didn't get the bullet. In hindsight we pretty much sailed a good race. Could we have picked up a bit more over the course by slightly footing off crossing the sound after the start. Maybe so or maybe not.
Could we have picked up more by getting maybe 500 yds to our left approaching Jeff Head to get maybe two tenths of a knot more current, maybe, maybe not. As it was, we were in more breeze then those immediately south of us in the main current approaching Jeff Head, and probably had more speed where we were. Following the parade that was in the main current in the dying breeze, would have probably given us dirty air. If there was a wee bit more breeze overall, perhaps going to the left would have helped a bit approaching Jeff Head, but very well may have been negated by the tack to get over there. I felt overall we made the right calls and ended up with a decent finish.
I prefer keeping the fleet on the same course for pursuit races, but at the same time the option does make for an interesting race. I'll be returning next year to do it again.