• San Diego

#2 DC_US55

DC_US55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

Wow...1984 NYSC decision that Lake Michigan is an arm of the sea laid groundwork for a Chicago AC Defense.

If SF is out, Newport out, I find it hard to believe they will select Bermuda over Chicago.

#3 Chainlocker

Chainlocker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Single handed racing, dinghy racing (Buccaneer 18), disabled sailing, King Krimson, electronics.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

My gut tells me the next America's Cup will take place in Chicago. After all, its seems there is a movement to make The Chicago Match Race Center, the US Match Race Center, so where else would you hold the top match racing event in the world?
Seems afternoon winds would be in the 10 to 15 knot range, a smaller boat with a larger ratio wing should foil with no problems.
After SF the Windy City would be the best choice.

#4 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,838 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

The choices are:

• Chicago
  • Bermuda
  • San Diego

You know that for a fact, do you?

#5 the loose cannon

the loose cannon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

San Francisco

#6 Kirwan

Kirwan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:um... boats?

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

The choices are:

• Chicago
  • Bermuda
  • San Diego

Well, it's been widely reported on the news over the past few days that SF has been dropped, and the other 3 sites are in contention.

My humble 2 cents:

Dropping SF means they don't really care about spectators; it's all about the money.

Considering SD means they will have to be well offshore to avoid the kelp. No way they can close the bay to do it inside.

Chicago seems to be interested in doing this, and it could be ok for spectating, but weird that it's not the ocean.

Bermuda? Only being considered because they want the European TV money.

#7 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

Wow...1984 NYSC decision that Lake Michigan is an arm of the sea laid groundwork for a Chicago AC Defense.

If SF is out, Newport out, I find it hard to believe they will select Bermuda over Chicago.

I just heard that Captain Cutherbert wants back in the game with a new Canada's challenge, Atalanta II............................  :P

#8 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Bermuda would be interesting and make for some spectacular visuals. Hold it in Great Sound or out in the ocean?

#9 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#10 bostonspider

bostonspider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Bermuda would be interesting and make for some spectacular visuals. Hold it in Great Sound or out in the ocean?

Most definitely in the Great Sound, which would make for some spectacular sailing and spectating.

bmb09.jpg

the-great-sound-bermuda-2012-07-17%2019.

#11 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Well, it's been widely reported on the news over the past few days that SF has been dropped, and the other 3 sites are in contention.

Reported but not confirmed.

#12 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,962 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Confirmed today.  I'd like to see it in the Great Sound.  Awesome place, albeit a bit expensive to visit.

#13 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hole Lee $#!^

(For sum reason I can't quote posts from FRISCO-CRONIC)

San Francisco officially out of America's Cup running Heather Knight, Chronicle staff writer Updated 12:09 pm, Wednesday, June 11, 2014

tools_size.giftools_mail.gifEmail This

(06-11) 11:46 PDT -- San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee got an unwelcome letter late Tuesday night: As rumored, the city was ruled out of hosting the 2017 America's Cup sailing races.

Russell Coutts, director of the America'sCup Event Authority, e-mailed the mayor confirming news reports that San Francisco hadn't made the shortlist to host the 35th sailing regatta. San Diego, Chicago and Bermuda are still in the running.

"Given the tight timeline and demands from prospective teams to confirm the final venue, it has been necessary to continue reducing the shortlist of candidate cities," Coutts wrote. "We have therefore taken the difficult decision to no longer consider San Francisco as a possible candidate to host AC35."

The letter gives no explanation, but Lee has been adamant that the city not use general fund money to host the event after losing $11.5 million in city funds on the sailing races last year. In addition, the mayor wanted the race organizers to pay rent on the piers and to pay prevailing union wages for construction projects. Those demands seemed to be a no-go with Coutts and Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle. As last year's winner, Ellison gets to make the ultimate decision on the host city.

Coutts in his letter said that the race organizers would be open to discussing hosting the 36th event in San Francisco - probably in 2021 or thereabouts. He also said he'd be open to hosting an America's Cup World Series event in San Francisco in 2015 or 2016. Those are a series of races leading up to the big America's Cup event.

Lee said he would be open to hosting a World Series event since they're not as expensive and don't take as much preparation. He didn't seem to be too disappointed in losing the larger race.

"We've been very reasonable in our approach," he said. "We were hoping that the success of the event (last year) would have them take another look, but I think all we can do is be proud of the fact that we hosted a really great event and that we were willing to do it again in a more rational way."

Heather Knight is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail:hknight@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @hknightsf

#14 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

If Bermuda - where will they build the compounds?  Out by the docklands? Maybe at the old navy base? (IIRC that's on a small peninsula on Great Sound). 

#15 valenciasailing

valenciasailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

The can hold the Qualifiers in Bermuda and the Playoffs and AC Match in Chicago

#16 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Bermuda will comme up Shorts  B) 

#17 Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

I can't see how SF losing $11.5 million in 2013 would be enough for them to say "no thanks" and I can't see how, with the hundreds of millions spent by the teams, that such a small loss couldn't be made up to the host city... especially the best windy spectator venue the AC has ever seen. I'm really losing my patience with the LE/RC plan for sailing world domination. I love the foiling cats but give us our AC back and go start your aquatic F1 league without the auld mug.

#18 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,148 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

Hole Lee $#!^
(For sum reason I can't quote posts from FRISCO-CRONIC)

San Francisco officially out of America's Cup running Heather Knight, Chronicle staff writer[/size] Updated 12:09 pm, Wednesday, June 11, 2014

=============================
What a damn shame if this is for real.......

#19 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

YES!!!!

PISS OFF SF!!

THE VENUE SUCKDD. Craamped course.

#20 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

It should be in SF. This is just dumb. However, for selfish reasons, I'm hoping for Chicago now.

#21 P Flados

P Flados

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

Chicago sounded strange at first.  

After Monkey's comment, it hit me that it would put the race within "decide at the last moment" reach of a rather large number of US / North American sailors.  

Given all of the uncertainties from last time, many were reluctant to pick a date range and line up everything (air travel, local transportation and lodging).  Being within a one day drive does allow for a "ray of hope" without having to lock things in too early.

I am a little far at 16 hours, but it could be done.

Drive 14 hours one day, grab a room on the way, do the last couple of hours in the morning, stay a few days in the area, do a few hours back after the last race watched, one more long drive back to the house.  

Looking a mapquest, a 16 hour drive gets almost everyone (except some Floridians and some Northeast of Boston) East of a line from Denver to Dallas to New Orleans.

Of course I am sure that none of the above matters to those making the choice.

#22 aldo

aldo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:51 AM

Flados, why drive?

Planes have wings too.

#23 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

Well we officially now know one place it wont be .

From here - http://www.nzherald....1272604&ref=rss

The America's Cup will not be returning to San Francisco.

The San Francisco Chronicle are reporting the city's mayor, Ed Lee, received notification yesterday that San Francisco has been ruled out of hosting the 2017 America's Cup.

Oracle Team USA chief executive Russell Coutts e-mailed the mayor confirming news reports that San Francisco hadn't made the shortlist to host the 35th sailing regatta. San Diego, Chicago and Bermuda are believed to be still in the running.

"Given the tight timeline and demands from prospective teams to confirm the final venue, it has been necessary to continue reducing the shortlist of candidate cities," Coutts wrote. "We have therefore taken the difficult decision to no longer consider San Francisco as a possible candidate to host AC35."

The letter apparently gives no explanation for San Francisco being rejected as a host city, but Lee has been firm that the city not use general fund money to host the event after losing $11.5 million in public money on the event last year.

In addition, the mayor reportedly wanted the race organisers to pay rent on the piers and to pay prevailing union wages for construction projects. Those demands seemed to be a no-go with Coutts and Larry Ellison, the owner of Oracle. As last year's winner, Ellison gets to make the ultimate decision on the host city.

Coutts in his letter said he'd be open to hosting one of the America's Cup World Series event in San Francisco in 2015 or 2016.

Lee said the city would consider hosting a World Series event, which are not as expensive and don't require the same level of preparation.

"We've been very reasonable in our approach," he told the San Francisco Chronicle. "We were hoping that the success of the event (last year) would have them take another look, but I think all we can do is be proud of the fact that we hosted a really great event and that we were willing to do it again in a more rational way."

NZ Herald

#24 P Flados

P Flados

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:19 AM

Planes are no fun.

Airports are a pain.

Airline company attitudes are worse.

I had some enjoyable air-travel several decades ago.  

Part of my challenges have been the downside of not living at a "hub" city.  Too many 3 hop trips and memories of the "not my problem" look from the person at the departure desk in response to "am I going to get home today".

#25 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

I know this is a stretch but could the AC yatchs actually, god forbid, race in an ocean? FFS!!

#26 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:59 AM

Chicago sounded strange at first.  

After Monkey's comment, it hit me that it would put the race within "decide at the last moment" reach of a rather large number of US / North American sailors.  

Given all of the uncertainties from last time, many were reluctant to pick a date range and line up everything (air travel, local transportation and lodging).  Being within a one day drive does allow for a "ray of hope" without having to lock things in too early.

I am a little far at 16 hours, but it could be done.

Drive 14 hours one day, grab a room on the way, do the last couple of hours in the morning, stay a few days in the area, do a few hours back after the last race watched, one more long drive back to the house.  

Looking a mapquest, a 16 hour drive gets almost everyone (except some Floridians and some Northeast of Boston) East of a line from Denver to Dallas to New Orleans.

Of course I am sure that none of the above matters to those making the choice.

You're spot on. It's less than a three hour drive for me. I could actually plan my attendance based on the weather forecast. I think it'd be a terrible venue compared to SF, but certainly more convenient.

#27 scarecow

scarecow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Getting home.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:19 AM

If it's held in Chicago, how much faster will they have to go to get into hydrofoil mode?

#28 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:25 AM

Bermuda will comme up Shorts  B) 

Too funny. 

#29 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

What about Oakland/Alameda? Same SF bay. Screw SF city then if they fucked up the negotiations.

#30 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

2nd that, as discussed for AC34, plenty of room at Alameda. Traffic going to the home bases could be handled via ferries and BART.

#31 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

I can't see how SF losing $11.5 million in 2013 would be enough for them to say "no thanks" and I can't see how, with the hundreds of millions spent by the teams, that such a small loss couldn't be made up to the host city... especially the best windy spectator venue the AC has ever seen. I'm really losing my patience with the LE/RC plan for sailing world domination. I love the foiling cats but give us our AC back and go start your aquatic F1 league without the auld mug.

Perth had better wind than SF but an ocean course so no land bound spectators. That model has worked perfectly well, you even seem to hanker for it.

Auckland was an outer harbour course, some land bound spectating opportunities but nothing serious - no real sailing wind issues, other than those created by an inflexibly strict 'wind limit protocol'.

Obviously if you change the boat type from deep draughted and slow (allowing spectator boats to get reasonably close and get out of harms way again with masses of sea-room), to foilers moving faster than most fizz boats, you change the game. But to say SF is the 'World's Best Venue' just shows how little you know of the world. And it being controlled by the an unenthusiastic City Council and public/nationalistic acts of Congress/BOS/USCG/knob hill NIMBY brigade doesn't help it's case.

Many potential venues exist, but only if you agree with auctioning the thing off in the first place. Maybe one should have to submit a Home-City endorsed hosting agreement along with your Challenge??

In the past they have tried to encourage interest and spectating from public and private vantage points - the idea of selling tickets to enjoy the spectacle was anathema.

ACEA seems to want the competitors to pay the costs of a commercial venture in which they hold no control or financial interest while ACEA goes about raking in money from every sideshow operator they can attract. If that's they way TUSA wanted to take things they should have convened a dialogue between all potential competitors during the last event to see if there was any general agreement, rather than trying to structure an American style sporting franchise and forcing it on a Cup which they are honour bound to defend within 10 months of being challenged, (absent MC).

#32 Kirwan

Kirwan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:um... boats?

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Ok, I'll throw my 2 pennies in.

The AC has always been pretty much done offshore. The boats leave the dock, and if you aren't on a spectator boat, you have to watch TV.

San Francisco was different. Because it was so close to shore, more people watched that single event in person than the total of all spectators in all previous Cups. Ask anyone who was there what it was like to be within 100 feet of the boats sailing at speed. Plus there was room for a substantial spectator fleet.

AC 34 was also different because of the foiling cats. Does anyone seriously want to go back to displacement mode boats?

So, do we want to match and improve on the last event, or move backwards?

#33 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

Ok, I'll throw my 2 pennies in.

The AC has always been pretty much done offshore. The boats leave the dock, and if you aren't on a spectator boat, you have to watch TV.

San Francisco was different. Because it was so close to shore, more people watched that single event in person than the total of all spectators in all previous Cups. Ask anyone who was there what it was like to be within 100 feet of the boats sailing at speed. Plus there was room for a substantial spectator fleet.

AC 34 was also different because of the foiling cats. Does anyone seriously want to go back to displacement mode boats?

So, do we want to match and improve on the last event, or move backwards?

What we want doesn't mean shit.

Only thing that matters, at the moment, is what Russell wants.  I'm not sure Larry is even part of the discussion.

#34 bostonspider

bostonspider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

I did a quick photoshop of the SF course overlayed on the Great Sound of Bermuda.  It certainly could fit, though it is somewhat tight.  Would be lots and lots of spots for great viewing of the races, and tons of spectator boats would be able to congregate around the course.  At the very bottom of the course is the old US Navy Base, which might be a perfect staging ground for the yachts.  At the top is the old Royal Navy Dockyard, where the cruise ships dock, and there is more space up there for possible base camps.

10447637_10152440497915758_3222114303039

#35 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

I did a quick photoshop of the SF course overlayed on the Great Sound of Bermuda.  It certainly could fit, though it is somewhat tight.  Would be lots and lots of spots for great viewing of the races, and tons of spectator boats would be able to congregate around the course.  At the very bottom of the course is the old US Navy Base, which might be a perfect staging ground for the yachts.  At the top is the old Royal Navy Dockyard, where the cruise ships dock, and there is more space up there for possible base camps.

Does that match with the prevailing breeze?

#36 bostonspider

bostonspider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

The prevailing breeze tends to be a Southwesterly one, which would be from the bottom left corner of that image, so I think it would work..

#37 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:10 AM

That is a pretty picture.

#38 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,118 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:25 AM

If this venue gets the most consistent and strongest breeze I'd think it would be the best option. Just can't see Chicago or SD.

SD due to wind/kelp and Chicago because MSP would sue them which would delay the cup several years, just like SF.

#39 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

If this venue gets the most consistent and strongest breeze I'd think it would be the best option. Just can't see Chicago or SD.

SD due to wind/kelp and Chicago because MSP would sue them which would delay the cup several years, just like SF.

True dat. MSP would bring his incredible legal powers to bear and it would be over for LE. No contest.

Or not.

#40 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

San Francisco was different. Because it was so close to shore, more people watched that single event in person than the total of all spectators in all previous Cups.

How could anybody possibly know that for a fact?

If you read, for example, Fisher's tome, there was huge interest and vast (and out of control) spectator fleets in some 20th century ACs. The assertion that AC34 had more spectators than any previous AC is a pretty questionable one, let alone greater than the total of all previous. More than in the recent past, quite possibly.

#41 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

^ This estimate brought to you by the same crowd who predicted a $Billion + upswing for SF!

All you need is faith...

#42 spring fever

spring fever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

We all knew who was behind Chicago's bid, but he just made it official....

Chicago finalist for 2017 AC

#43 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Coutts is director of the America’s Cup Event Authority, the company established by Larry Ellison,

one of the world's wealthiest people with an estimated $51.5 billion fortune, to run the yacht race.

Coutts also is the chief executive of Ellison’s Oracle Team USA. 

#44 spankoka

spankoka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts
  • Interests:sailing/drinking/strippers

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Don't they have unions in Chicago too? 

#45 aldo

aldo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

Coutts is director of the America’s Cup Event Authority, the company established by Larry Ellison,[/size]

one of the world's wealthiest people with an estimated $51.5 billion fortune, to run the yacht race. [/size]

Coutts also is the chief executive of Ellison’s Oracle Team USA. [/size]

Sue them all.
Make it a class action suit and defend all of us who refuse to wash our faces.

#46 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

We all knew who was behind Chicago's bid, but he just made it official....

Chicago finalist for 2017 AC

Give the page a like, if you like... https://www.facebook...ricasCupChicago

#47 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Look, the designers would shit if they had to design a boat that sailed in the ocean.

#48 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

DAGO and ya don't have to pay Mob wages :-)

#49 kevlar®

kevlar®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Poor taste.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

Detroit would be better. Safer on the Nuck side. 

#50 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:49 AM

We can see clearly now, the Cup is gone

San Francisco Chronicle

Truth be told, San Francisco officials knew the city was out of the running for the 2017 America’s Cup months ago.

“The minute they opened the competition to other cities, they pretty much stopped talking to us,” said one City Hall insider close to the talks.

And while the race organizers complained about the lack of love they were getting from the city, money was the real issue. Not only did the America’s Cup crew want $30 million in corporate pledges, sources tell us, but they also wanted the city to pick up the costs of staging the races again.

Neither was going happen.

At Mayor Ed Lee’s urging, the San Francisco travel bureau and the Giants held a last-minute breakfast sit-down with organizers. But by then, it was clear the race was sailing into the sunset.

“They didn’t want the hassle, and neither did we,” said one city official.

#51 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

Bla Same O'll Shit Bla

I'll give you one thing

Even though You still SUCK =

I commend you on signing up as Cleveland Steamer :

X is a dumb fuck. A chili dog is where you shit on a girl's chest then titty-fuck her. A cleveland steamer is where (often in the act of a breakup) you have sex with someone, wait for them to fall asleep, take a huge shit on their chest, and leave.
I would never chili dog anyone. However, I gave out a few cleveland steamers out in my day. I shat on their chests and got the fuck out of there.
by dookieluv February 13, 2006

The cleveland steamer is far more specific than the listings I have seen here. A sexual act by nature (fetish) the cleveland steamer is when one person craps on another person's chest and (very important) then sits down and rocks back and forth like a steam roller.
Billy had just gotten out of the shower, so me and John gave min a cleveland steamer.
by admin@jordantate.com October 05, 2004

Cleveland Steamer
A Cleveland Steamer is one of two acts that are similar for the scatalogically inclined. One is a crude sex act the other a crude break up technique. Both are the same thing. 

1. You take a dump on a lovers chest while or before titty fucking (if that partner is a female.) Generally for the cacaphile only or as a domination and humiliation tool in BDSM games. See also Brown Showers. The steamer part is that it is very probably steaming from the freshness (Moisture rising from it) not to do with "steamrolling" it. Then it would have been called a "Cleveland Steamroller". It is probably named after Cleveland (Lucky us Clevelanders) because of the brown stripe left behind resembling the brown stripe on the orange Cleveland Browns Football Helmet. If you squish it down and then you spooge on it for syrup it becomes a "Boston Pancake". Don't know the origin of Boston in refernce to that act. 

2. Often used as a breakup technique for angry lovers to wait till the other is asleep and dumping on their chest and leaving them to wake in it the morning after. Point made. Sexual intercourse isn't necessary beforehand technically. It is only for extra points with your pals since you obviously are only pretending to be making up and having sex to achieve this goal and are tricking the other person to get even. Usually done without knowledge of the victim if the "pooper" wants to escape alive. 

Tom wanted to break up with Sally after their last fight and he made his point to her by dropping her a Cleveland Steamer and leaving the bedroom.
by BFitz99 March 22, 2006

#52 MikeRocks

MikeRocks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:This and That

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

I think my IQ just went down :blink: 

#53 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

The shore crews will love Lake Michigan.  There's no salt to rinse or wash off after every sail.  Just break out the shammies.  That will save thousands of labor hours and tons of freshwater costs!

#54 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

Hows the wind on Lake Michigan?

#55 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

I think SA just went to a new low and that's saying something .

#56 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

So now we know the asking price is $ 30,000,000 plus covering all services, police, fire, medic etc.

The line of interested suitors might get a bit shorter .

#57 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

If they'll take a check Washington DC could hold the AC  :)

#58 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

If they'll take a check Washington DC could hold the AC  :)

Shouldn't take long to print another $30,000,000. No need to write a cheque.

#59 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

The month with the best and steadiest wind would be September.

Yesterday it was a modest 30-45mph.

Right now it is 10mph, but in a few hours we expect a few poppers, tall thunderheads, hail, damaging winds, and frequent lightning.

The old adage in Chicago is, "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes!"

#60 bwwooster

bwwooster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, restoring funky old cars and my dear old California Golden Bears.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

^^^ So... how easy will it be to de-power an AC 62?

#61 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:22 AM

Can anyone find that interview with Don Wilson from yesterday?  I think it is on Chicago Tribune...

please copy and paste if you find it.

#62 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:36 AM

could be this one; can't copy/paste because on my second reading attempt it wants a subscription
http://www.chicagotr...0,5299055.story

#63 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

Anyone done this for wherever the racing would be in Chicago?

#64 pro from dover

pro from dover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:55 AM

My humble 2 cents:

Dropping SF means they don't really care about spectators; it's all about the money.

Considering SD means they will have to be well offshore to avoid the kelp. No way they can close the bay to do it inside.

Chicago seems to be interested in doing this, and it could be ok for spectating, but weird that it's not the ocean.

Bermuda? Only being considered because they want the European TV money.

First visit to planet Earth is it ?

#65 kadyca

kadyca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:03 AM

Well, then you clearly have had no experience with SF politics.

At a time of ever more outrageous rents and housing prices, the last thing the Mayor and Supes could do was anything that would potentially cost money out of the general fund for a billionaires boat race.

#66 kadyca

kadyca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:27 AM

Well, I only spent one summer in Chicago back in '96 (which I was told was the best summer in many, many years because it was never so hot that no one died of heat stroke or heat exhaustion).

Basically, it sucked balls until the end of September, at least close to shore. No idea how far out they would have had to have gone to get any wind.

It's basically like standing around in a moist oven most of the time.

Good luck with that fellas.

#67 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

Why do they call it the Windy City?

Chicago is windy because of its full-of-hot-air politicians

True fact. Good luck with those negotiations.

#68 Donjoman

Donjoman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

Certainly not a venue for winter training before the event.

#69 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:53 AM

Can anyone find that interview with Don Wilson from yesterday?  I think it is on Chicago Tribune...

http://articles.chic...a-boat-design/2

#70 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

And this is the piece of work that is heading the Chicago contingent .

Somehow it seems to fit in a sad way .

" Wilson and his company, DRW Investments, are facing a civil lawsuit from the U.S. Commodities Futures Trading Commission, alleging he unlawfully manipulated the price of a three-month futures contract, which allowed him to reap at least $20 million. Prior to the November filing, Wilson and DRW preemptively sued the regulator, arguing they did nothing illegal. "

#71 kadyca

kadyca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

Ever been to Chicago in the Winter?

Yeah, that's why the call it windy city.

The wind chill factor in the winter will cut you like a fucking knife.

I used to work for UPS back in the day. One winter we were installing some equipment at a sorting facility in Chicago.

The drivers call it "The Hawk" because the wind feels like a hawk sinking its talons into you.

That's how fucking cold it is when the wind blows in chicago.

#72 kadyca

kadyca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

Sorry, I didn't attache the image last time.

Here's a quickie effort to try to super impose he AC 34 course off the coast of Chicago, but I didn't make any effort to try and get the dimensions correct.

Attached Files

#73 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

Ever been to Chicago in the Winter?

Yeah, that's why the call it windy city.

The wind chill factor in the winter will cut you like a fucking knife.
I used to work for UPS back in the day. One winter we were installing some equipment at a sorting facility in Chicago.

The drivers call it "The Hawk" because the wind feels like a hawk sinking its talons into you.

That's how fucking cold it is when the wind blows in chicago.

Krazy Koutts wants the AC to end on July 4 means they have to start racing around Memorial Day means they have to start setting up around April 1. Who's the fool whose going to drag sponsors to Chicago for a sailing event in the spring?

#74 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

Can anyone find that    interview with Don Wilson from yesterday?  I think it is on Chicago Tribune    Video I went to Auckland NZL to shoot aboard TNZ ...

:o  :o  :o  :o  :lol:

#75 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Here's a quickie effort to try to super impose he AC 34 course off the coast of Chicago, but I didn't make any effort to try and get the dimensions correct.

try inside the breakwater.

#76 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

So now we know the asking price is $ 30,000,000 plus covering all services, police, fire, medic etc.

Krazy Koutts wants the AC to end on July 4 means they have to start racing around Memorial Day means they have to start setting up around April 1. Who's the fool whose going to drag sponsors to Chicago for a sailing event in the spring?

Beg pardon, where are these two rumors coming from?

#77 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

$30 mill for what?

#78 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

$30 mill for what?

For Koutts to just show up with his circus.

#79 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

There was an article somewhere with a quote from Krazy Koutts about July 4 where he said he learned about not competing with September TV schedule here's one from San Diego.

http://m.utsandiego....acle-san-diego/

#80 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

when has it not been a circus? Bermuda has an irony to the whole thing.

#81 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

And may it live on. Tried to watch past AC races and got bored after the prestart. Do you really think the Aussies or Kiwis will give a fuck if it is in Bermuda?

#82 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

when has it not been a circus? Bermuda has an irony to the whole thing.

Bermuda is Krazy Koutts RAK just a better climate.

#83 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

Probably the inly place that could or would pay $30 mill for nothing though

#84 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

So, basically, crappy viewing.  Maybe get up on top of Trump's building.

#85 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,632 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

Reading comprehension.  INSIDE the breakwater.

#86 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

Reading comprehension.  INSIDE the breakwater.

I was just going by her mock-up. 

I had not heard, but the plan would be for inside the breakwater?

#87 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

It's not a rumor . It was posted in a SF paper quoted earlier . RC wanted 30 mill and all services covered by the host .

#88 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

http://www.sail-worl...efender?/123428

#89 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Interpreting the Deed of Gift 

By James Micheal 

On the question of venue, nothing in the Deed expressly or impliedly authorizes the defender to change the venue from its home waters, unless, and only if, it is done with the mutual consent of the challenger. Nevertheless, several arguments have been advanced to support San Diego's position, which we examine next. 

Reference is made to the fact the present Deed provides that, in the absence of mutual consent, the races shall be sailed 'on ocean courses, free from headlands,' whereas the prior deeds required the 'usual course for the annual regatta of the yacht club holding the cup.' It is argued that the deletion of the words last quoted evidences an intent to authorize the defending club to move the venue out of its home waters. That argument is unavailing for several reasons. 

The Current Deed still retains the provision, first added in the 1882 Deed, that to qualify as a challenger, a yacht club must have 'for its annual regatta an ocean water course on the sea, or on an arm of the sea'. 

The purpose of this requirement, patently, is to make certain that, when a challenger wins the Cup, and then becomes the defender in the next match, its home waters will provide the 'ocean courses' which must be used when mutual consent is lacking. 

As previously noted, the donors incorporated the reference to the 'usual course for the annual regatta' of the defending club as a protection to the challenger, when the parties could not agree. The deletion of those words in the 1887 Deed was not intended to destroy that protection to the challenger, nor to give power to the defender to name whatever venue would give it the greatest advantage and put the challenger to the greatest disadvantage (as San Diego publicly espouses doing). 

Such an interpretation would be in direct conflict with the donor's purposes to assure a fair and sportsmanlike match, conducted in accordance with the cardinal principle of the challenger and defender contending 'on equal terms'. It also ignores the fact that George L. Schuyler deleted the words in question to enhance the protection of the challenger. 

In the matches up to 1887, many of the races were sailed on the New York Yacht Club's 'inside course', which included the waters from Hoboken to Southwest Spit. These confined waters and the currents, shifting winds and heavy traffic of New York harbor made this course, in the words of 'Lawson's History of the America's Cup', a 'bad course at best, and a source of hot anger and fierce discontent to British skippers.' 

When rewriting the Deed in 1887, George L. Schuyler recognized that 'annual courses', such as the Royal Yacht Squadron's and the New York Yacht Club's 'inside course', did not guarantee a fair match; thus he deleted the reference to them. Nothing in the history, however, suggests that he intended to permit the venue to leave the defending club's home waters, and as already observed, the continuation of the qualifications required for a club to challenge suggest the contrary. 

In a letter by George L. Schuyler to the New York Yacht in July, 1890, he comments on the reasons for the change in the definition of the courses, as follows: 'The matter which I thought of greatest importance, when the new deed was drawn up, was that of courses. I wanted it so arranged that in case of a disagreement as to the conditions of the races, the boats would race in the sea without time allowance, and thus avoid the possibility of a challenger being left to the mercy of a club course where she would not have an equal chance to win.' 

It would be abhorrent to any fair-minded person to convert a change in the Deed, which Schuyler made to better the challenger's protection, into one which would truly put the challenger at the mercy of the defending club. 

Those supporting San Diego on the venue issue also rely on a statement in the December 30, 1987 ruling by Judge Ciparick of the New York Court, denying the application of the City of San Diego to be made a party to the proceedings, so that it could appeal the Court's prior decision of November 25, 1987. The Court ruled that the City lacked 'the requisite real and substantial interest' in the matter, its only interest being 'peripheral', as a possible site for the future competition; but the Court went on to add that the City would only be impacted 'when and if the San Diego Yacht Club as defender exercises its power to set the venue for the upcoming event.' 

This last statement of the Court as to the power to set the venue constitutes, what in the law is known as 'obiter dicta', a Latin expression meaning something said 'by the way;' a remark or incidental opinion expressed by a judge on a point not necessary to the determination of the issue before the Court; any statement by way of illustration, analogy, argument or suggestion. Since such remarks by a judge are made without the question having been in issue, and without argument or full consideration of the point, they are not regarded as binding, even on the court making them, and have no standing as legal precedent. 

In the present circumstances, the venue issue was not before the Court; Judge Ciparick never had the benefit of argument on the merits of the issue; and her statement was not necessary to determine the motion before her. Thus, if the issue of venue should come squarely before the Court, it is submitted the ruling will be that the defending club must hold the match in its home waters, unless the challenger mutually agrees to move it elsewhere. 

It is also to be noted on this question, that when the New York Yacht Club moved the site from New York to Newport, Rhode Island, it did so under the mutual consent provision, and with the concurrence of all succeeding challengers. Moreover, that club maintains a station at Newport, its annual cruise usually begins and ends there, and the racing, which accompanies that cruise, is conducted in waters which include those where the America's Cup matches have been held for many years. Thus, this aspect of Cup history affords no support for San Diego's contention. 

The opinion by James Michael was never tested in the New York Supreme Court as San Diego YC determined that the 65ft catamaran would be superior to the 90ft LWL monohull in all conditions, and moving the venue for the Match was therefore unnecessary. 

Since then the America's Cup venue was determined by bid in 2007 (Valencia, ESP), and ordered by the New York Supreme Court to be Valencia, ESP for the 33rd match in February 2010. It was sailed in the home waters of the holder, Golden Gate YC in 2013 after a bid process, and is currently out for bid to other venues for the 35th Match

#90 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

So AC-35 Coming to San Diego

Who Cares Why

Let's Just get on Down to DAGO with it !!!

#91 bostonspider

bostonspider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

Interesting article, but as there is Mutual Consent, this is all immaterial.  This will end up being more like Newport, than what SDYC was trying to do.  While from a personal standpoint, I would love to see it in Bermuda, I think in the end it will be in either San Diego or Chicago, with S.D. being the favorite.

#92 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

Interesting article, but as there is Mutual Consent, this is all immaterial.  This will end up being more like Newport, than what SDYC was trying to do.  While from a personal standpoint, I would love to see it in Bermuda, I think in the end it will be in either San Diego or Chicago, with S.D. being the favorite.

Thank You !!!  :)

#93 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

1. Bermuda
    British Overseas Territory
  2. Bermuda, also referred to as the Bermudas or the Somers Isles, is a British Overseas Territory in the North Atlantic Ocean, located off the east coast of the United States. Wikipedia
  5. CurrencyBermudian dollar
  6. GovernmentConstitutional monarchy, Parliamentary system

#94 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

>Krazy Koutts wants the AC to end on July 4 means they have to start racing around Memorial Day means they have to start setting up around April 1. Who's the fool whose going to drag sponsors to Chicago for a sailing event in the spring?

\

Here is where my " rumor " came from :) 

http://www.sfgate.co...ure-5553081.php

Cracked cup: Truth be told, San Francisco officials knew the city was out of the running for the 2017 America's Cup months ago.

"The minute they opened the competition to other cities, they pretty much stopped talking to us," said one City Hall insider close to the talks.

And while the race organizers complained about the lack of love they were getting from the city, money was the real issue.

Not only did the America's Cup crew want $30 million in corporate pledges, sources tell us, but they also wanted the city to pick up the costs of staging the races again.

Neither was going happen.

At Mayor Ed Lee's urging, the San Francisco travel bureau and the Giants held a last-minute breakfast sit-down with organizers. But by then, it was clear the race was sailing into the sunset.

"They didn't want the hassle, and neither did we," said one city official.

#95 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Could Chicago get America’s Cup and Floating Island?

Published on June 17, 2014 |
by Editor
​ SCUZ BUNG​

While Chicago and Lake Michigan gets close inspection as a possible host City for the 2017 America’s Cup, becoming the first lake to ever host the event, there is another initiative for Chicago that is also without precedent.

The Chicago Tribune reports that about a mile off the City’s shore, a local businessman wants to create a floating city complete with sundecks, restaurants, a swimming pool and plenty of room for boats to dock.

This Lake Michigan oasis – Breakwater Chicago – is an idea of Beau D’Arcy, a mechanical engineer who said he’s spent the past two years planning the attraction.

A Plainfield native and Harvard Business School graduate, he expects the total price tag for the floating attraction will likely be around $23 million. D’Arcy, 33, speaks about his project in grand terms and has an ambitious timeline for its opening. If all goes well, he wants to welcome the first guests by July 4, 2015.

In addition to lots of cash, D’Arcy’s ambition will need the blessing of more than a few regulators. The facility, which he said be anchored about a mile from the shore during the summer and towed to the beach in the winter, will need permits from the Coast Guard, state and city.

D’Arcy said he’s met with officials at all levels of government to learn about the permitting process and hasn’t yet run into opposition. But even he notes that the lack of resistance is very different than an outright endorsement. A spokeswoman in the mayor’s office declined to comment on the project.

Howard Learner, executive director of the Environmental Law and Policy Center, said any private development in the water is a bad idea. “Lake Michigan is a national treasure. It supplies drinking water supply to all Chicagoans and recreation to tens of millions of people. We shouldn’t be messing with the lake.”

Breakwater, D’Arcy said, would provide a welcome respite to Chicago boaters who have few options for entertainment on the water. Water taxis would deliver the yacht-less to the attraction, which is slated to be about a football field in length and 100 feet across.

Though hardly common, D’Arcy said, floating attractions aren’t unprecedented. He said a similar facility operates off the coast of Istanbul, Turkey.

#96 bwwooster

bwwooster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, restoring funky old cars and my dear old California Golden Bears.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

Building an artificial island for a one-time event? San Francisco would never do that! 

Oh, wait... never mind.

#97 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

Building an artificial island for a one-time event? San Francisco would never do that! 

Oh, wait... never mind.

:) :)

#98 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

Am not yet getting how that Fantasy Island proposal has ever had anything to do with the AC. Does SButt know something he's not spelling out?

#99 JuanNephrota

JuanNephrota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Larry Ellison is from Chicago, which I think would be a point in its favor after SF being eliminated.

#100 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

Peskin’s Top 10: Why 2013 America’s Cup banners are still flying
Posted on Wednesday, June 18 at 12:04pm By Marisa Lagos

OldACBanners_BetweenPiers-300x166.jpeg

America’s Cup 2013 banners, courtesy of Aaron Peskin

Former supervisor and general rabblerouser Aaron Peskin has never been known for his gentle touch, so we weren’t surprised when we received the slightly mean, but humorous, below list from him.

Peskin, of course, has never been a fanof the America’s Cup sailing races, which the city hosted last year (and lost $11.5 million on.) Last week, Mayor Ed Lee was told San Francisco is out of the running to host the next Cup in 2017.

Which apparently got Peskin thinking: Why is the city’s waterfront still covered in 2013 America’s Cup banners? Below, we present his clearly tongue-in-cheek explanation.

Aaron Peskin’s Top Ten Reasons Port Still Hasn’t Taken Down Giant America’s Cup 2013 Banners From SF Piers Eight Months After End of Races

10. Larry Ellison demanding taxpayers give him $11.5 million more just to make him go away

9.  Cup Banners hiding sacks of lead weights Team Oracle used to “speed things up a bit”

8.  Port likes to pretend things it doesn’t like never happened – see secret plans to revive 8 Washington

7.  First C.W. Nevius has to write another bizarre column blaming NIMBYs for everything

6. Ed Lee hoping “America’s Cup Success” banner is his version of “Mission Accomplished”

OldACBanners_Pier19-150x150.jpeg

Courtesy of Aaron Peskin

5.  Top Port officials don’t even live in SF so they never noticed banners still there

4.  David Chiu hoping banner maintenance can fulfill his mayoral campaign promises that “America’s Cup has already created thousands of local jobs right here!”

3.  Just a few more layers of car exhaust and dirty banners will blend in perfectly with piers

2.  Larry Ellison cemented banners on with his super-fancy “billionaire yacht glue”

1.  Ed still waiting for the ok sign from Willie and Rose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users