18 replies to this topic

#1 RogerDGamache

RogerDGamache

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Keep Racing as long as possible

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

Terrible news today. His time with us was too short.

Thank you Bill for you friendship and all you have done for my family. And my sympathy and prayers for you and your family.

#2 ExOmo

ExOmo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:09 AM

Just heard the news. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

#3 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:35 AM

I really liked that guy.  He had a host of great stories.  Was of course a great and very determined sailor, and wise coach.  He and I spent a lot of time doing Etchells stuff in Miami with the Greek team and I'll miss him.   I think a whole bunch of us will.  A shocking loss.  

A friend of mine said to be sure to send your condolences to his wife.  

#4 Mulligan

Mulligan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:38 AM

2004 SORC, last race on Sunday starts at 10 am off Miami Beach. First race of Star Bacardi Cup starts at 12 noon Sunday. Cayard and Bill are sailing in both events. Picked them off the Farr 40's as they finished around 11:30 off Fisher Island, full throttle around the South end of Key Biscayne with "Special" Ed Adams navigating. Found Bill's and Paul's boats, and got them aboard with only a few minutes before the 5 minute gun.

Vale, Bill.

#5 GER308

GER308

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Climbing, Drinking, Running....

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

Crap, I saw this on Billy´s FB page this morning. The sailing world has lost a great guy. Deepest condolences to his friends and family.

#6 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Bill joined us on our boat for the Chicago Mackinac.  Radar was showing a fairly strong cell with big downdrafts was heading our way.  He was jumping up and down like a little kid in excitement, "I've always heard about these lake storms, and the blasts they have."  It was foggy, lighting all over the place, thunder rattling your spine.  We shifted to the #4, put in a couple of reefs, and sat.  And sat.  And sat.  Never got a whiff out of the cell, shifted back to the #1 and full main and kept going. 

#7 tronner

tronner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

Sad news.  Had several miles and stories with Billy on the water.  Deepest condolences to his family and his mates.

RIP and Fair winds Billy.

#8 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

Shit.  Shared some great times with him over the winter and the past decade.

Big fan and past contributor to SA and a great cheerleader for the sport.  RIP Billy.

#9 -TG

-TG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

Spent months working and sailing with Bill out of JWorld around '91-92 (when it was still J24's) Learned a lot from him, he always had a smile, knew everyone's name and was unilaterally respected. Great guy, we lost one of the good ones. He will be missed.

#10 Slyguy

Slyguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

Fair winds Billy. You are missed!

#11 rlhughes

rlhughes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

The Heartbreaker Sailing Crew will forever miss one of the nicest and kindest sailors to walk the docks and who happened to be a hell of great sailor.  I have had the privilege of sailing with many of the world's greatest sailors but the bar for spinnaker trimming was always set by Mr. Billy Senor Bennett.  He had a feel and eye for trimming and communicating what was going on with that spinnaker sheet like no other.  Whether it was blowing 28 and were trying to keep  an overloaded Farr 40 on her feet screaming up lake Michigan in a MAC race or trimming the last leg of a Canada's Cup to win by a foot Billy always had the magic in his hands and a great pair of eyes on the race course.  More importantly he was a friend  you could  ALWAYS count in in tough times to go along with a smile that filled the docks and sense of humor to make you laugh. He taught myself and the Heartbreaker team much about making a boat go faster and was key to many victories but I will most miss his Caddy Shack imitations and the ribbing texts he would send every time MSU was on TV goading me if  I was there and would they pull out the win.  Thank you for the best of memories Billy.  You will be sorely missed but never forgotten.   Robert Hughes  Heartbreaker Sailing 

Attached Files

#12 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

Knew his name...never met the man...but I always heard about how great he was as a crewmember and team guy.  From the comments my SD sailing buddies said, sounds like he was a real nice, funny, sincere man.

Condolences to his friends and family.

#13 Boatguy30

Boatguy30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Heaps

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Heard it was a head injury off the water? Car, motorcycle? Slip and fall. Wasn't their an Olympian that dies in a slip and fall in a hotel room in the last year or so?

#14 Rolltack

Rolltack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Stickers that were handed out at registration for the Etchells Worlds in memory of Billy Bennett.

Attached Files

#15 tronner

tronner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

Very nice!

#16 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

The story I got was, "Bill was in Newport, RI professionally racing.  He fell down a flight a stairs and suffered a cranial induced heart attack which killed him."

As many times as we all have been smacked in the head with a boom, to think a simple set of stairs fall was worse.  Damn.

#17 SaltyBlue

SaltyBlue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, ocean advocacy, swimming, scuba...

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

What an absolute tragedy...my heart goes out to his family and friends...an unfortunate loss for all...does anyone know if there will be services, and if so are they open to attend (other than family, etc.)?

#18 Irishdriver

Irishdriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

John posted on FB that a Memorial service will be this Tuesday, July 1st, 11am, at the San Diego Yacht Club.

8 bells Bill.

#19 Plumber

Plumber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

2004 SORC, last race on Sunday starts at 10 am off Miami Beach. First race of Star Bacardi Cup starts at 12 noon Sunday. Cayard and Bill are sailing in both events. Picked them off the Farr 40's as they finished around 11:30 off Fisher Island, full throttle around the South end of Key Biscayne with "Special" Ed Adams navigating. Found Bill's and Paul's boats, and got them aboard with only a few minutes before the 5 minute gun.

Vale, Bill.

Wow...golf claps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users