• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Kites
    Surfing
    Dogs
    Anarchy

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

What're the top places to kiteboard in the US?  Where are the hot spots where the sport is blowing up?  There's a fledgling scene here in Virginia Beach, big time operations down in Hatteras.

I'm looking to plan a couple of domestic vacations and want to be able to go kiting when I get there.

Thanks for the help!

#2 Liquid

Liquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

San Francisco bay area

the gorge in Hood River, OR

Corpus Christi

Cape Cod

Hawaii

#3 jsdeimel

jsdeimel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

OBX

#4 RickCat

RickCat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

That's a good list.

I would also add Sherman Island, CA, South Padre Island (SPI), TX, Floras Lake, OR coast, and Lake McConaughy, NE (where most of Denver kites in the Summer).

If you're planning a vacation to a big city then some of the more remote destinations may not be your best bet.

You should also consider each location's wind season.  For example, South TX (SPI & Corpus) windy season is just beginning as East & West coast locations are shutting down in the Fall. That's why you'll see lots of people from Canada and Northern US latitudes at SPI during late Fall, Winter, and early Spring. You should be able to find great wind at one of these locations throughout the entire year.  Hawaii's (Maui & Oahu) wind is the most consistent in the Summer but its warm so many kiters go there late Fall, Winter, and early Spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users