#1 Ron D

Ron D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy Sailing

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

I've started sailing a RS700.  First two capsizes are easy.  By the third, the boat turtles real quick and is a bit of a bear to recover.  Is that the mast filling with water?  Is that typical?

#2 pcraig

pcraig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Wrap some self amalgamating tape around the mast head fitting, and then poke a hole through it just big enough for the halyard to go through.

Also fill around the shroud and forestay terminals with silicon. It will significantly slow down the chance of a turtle.

#3 Major Tom

Major Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy sailing, and good red wine!

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

Try and avoid the first 2 capsizes! :)

#4 timTHIRTEEN

timTHIRTEEN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:dinghy sailing , classic cars , motorsport , rock climbing

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:23 AM

drill a small hole in mast at deck level so it can drain ? would also confirm if it was filling up

#5 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

I should drill a drain hole in the base, ie the mast foot. Is the Foot alloy or plastic? the later ones are plastic. I replaced my alloy one as it had corroded quite badly. I bought my 700 used.

Most of the water will come scooting out the halyard entry, just up from the mast base but a drain hole on the end of the mast (in the foot itself) is the best solution.

I sail mine with a 20 ltr float bag tied to the sail head. Probably not what you want for racing:)  Yes, it slows me down a little but its great as I don't have a safety boat to cover me. I don't race, nothing to race against where I live (Falkland Islands)

Good luck, they are good boats.

#6 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

as you recover the boat, hold it capsized with the mast just out of the water to give it a chance to drain some. Im shocked there arent big drain holes in the bottom of the mast step - not much makes the boat harder to recover than a mast full of water carrying momentum.... 

#7 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Yeah and if you're turtling into a sandy bottom you might be getting sand into the mast too so make sure you clean that out... ask me how I know.

#8 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Speng,

I see you're in Cinncinnati. There were Sailing Canoes based there that were members of the WCA (Western Canoe Association) in the late 1800's. I know that unless you're a vampire you would not remember them but are there any old trophys at your club, or where you sail that go back that far. Just asking. Where do you sail?  Later   DG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users