#1 Ron D

Ron D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy Sailing

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

I've started sailing a RS700.  First two capsizes are easy.  By the third, the boat turtles real quick and is a bit of a bear to recover.  Is that the mast filling with water?  Is that typical?

#2 pcraig

pcraig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Wrap some self amalgamating tape around the mast head fitting, and then poke a hole through it just big enough for the halyard to go through.

Also fill around the shroud and forestay terminals with silicon. It will significantly slow down the chance of a turtle.

#3 Major Tom

Major Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy sailing, and good red wine!

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

Try and avoid the first 2 capsizes! :)

#4 timTHIRTEEN

timTHIRTEEN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:dinghy sailing , classic cars , motorsport , rock climbing

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:23 AM

drill a small hole in mast at deck level so it can drain ? would also confirm if it was filling up

#5 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

I should drill a drain hole in the base, ie the mast foot. Is the Foot alloy or plastic? the later ones are plastic. I replaced my alloy one as it had corroded quite badly. I bought my 700 used.

Most of the water will come scooting out the halyard entry, just up from the mast base but a drain hole on the end of the mast (in the foot itself) is the best solution.

I sail mine with a 20 ltr float bag tied to the sail head. Probably not what you want for racing:)  Yes, it slows me down a little but its great as I don't have a safety boat to cover me. I don't race, nothing to race against where I live (Falkland Islands)

Good luck, they are good boats.

#6 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

as you recover the boat, hold it capsized with the mast just out of the water to give it a chance to drain some. Im shocked there arent big drain holes in the bottom of the mast step - not much makes the boat harder to recover than a mast full of water carrying momentum.... 

#7 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Yeah and if you're turtling into a sandy bottom you might be getting sand into the mast too so make sure you clean that out... ask me how I know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users