40 replies to this topic

#1 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Does anyone know of an iphone app that does a 3 minute start sequence with the sound?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

#2 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

I recall BJ Porter did something like that a few years back.  Maybe a search here.  Or direct and email to BJ

#3 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,917 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

I recall BJ Porter did something like that a few years back.  Maybe a search here.  Or direct and email to BJ

As I told KIS in a PM - the app still exists but its off the market.

Apple charges $100/year to be able to sell apps for money in the itunes store (no charge for free apps); I wasn't earning enough in sales to cover that so I didn't bother to renew.

I don't think free with ad supported is the way to pay for it either (you have to pay for that too) as there aren't enough users and I can't see how banner ads wouldn't be disruptive.

If anyone has any brilliant ideas I'm all ears, but I couldn't justify spending $100 to sell 20 copies of the program.

#4 Nice!

Nice!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

I did a search of the Google Play store and found at least half a dozen such apps. Some have even more features including GPS speed, bearing and mapping tools for race playback. I'm sure most of them would be available in the iPhone environment too. Look for:

TheFastTrack
Yacht Race Timer
BC Racer

There are also literally dozens of generic stopwatch and timer apps that do countdown.

#5 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

dont be staring at your phone when youre supposed to start a sailboat race.  look at your watch, the line, other boats.  phone stays down below

#6 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

What I need this to do is play the 3 minute sequence. I am going to pipe the sound through an amp and big speaker. This is for the RC boat, not a race boat.

#7 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,917 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Some dude - sounds like he is doign Race Committee.

My app is EXACTLY what he needs.  *sigh*

Now I have to think about how to do this without pissing away $100.

http://rcassist.com

#8 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,917 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

Rrrr...can't even SEE the damned App on the App Developer Network without renewing.  I thought I might make it free for a couple of days, but I can't do that even without renewing.

Apple is a PITA to deal with.

#9 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

What I need this to do is play the 3 minute sequence. I am going to pipe the sound through an amp and big speaker. This is for the RC boat, not a race boat.

Ah so
In the immortal words of Rosanne Rosannadanna:
"Never mind"

#10 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

Anyone know what the best free/cheap app is for stuff like distance to the line, burn time and bias?

#11 S291sailor

S291sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:S2 9.1meter, Club420, Lasers, Optis

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

My lead junior instructor designed this system:

http://sailbotstarter.com

I've used a couple of the prototypes and they work great.  I'll probably use this to start races when I'm running Green Fleet at the Opti Nationals.  The wireless feature is rally nice because I can place the horns up on the bow where they don't render me deaf.

The app allows you to select various start sequences.

#12 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

I wrote an Android app for race committees.  It will do a repeating start sequence.  It is free.

https://play.google....hoto.starttimer

I also have an app for starting and racing that I give away to qualified racers. 

Allen

L-36.com

#13 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,641 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:21 AM

What busboy about some sailors they fail to getb the basic concept

No motors, electronics, outside help etc

The contest is among humans with sailing toys

#14 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:36 AM

I am not racing!

I am the guy anchored with the flags and stuff :rolleyes:

#15 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:20 AM

@kent_island_sailor

I should have added that I can add sound if you tell me what it is you want.  I wrote this for the fine folks like you who make racing possible for the rest of us.

I probably can't fire a cannon or blast a horn but I can make the app count down the time and stuff like that.

#16 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,641 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

I am not racing!
I am the guy anchored with the flags and stuff :rolleyes:

What bugs me about some sailors they fail to get the basic concept

In the words of miss Emily Litella

#17 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

What bugs me is people who think everyone else needs to enjoy life exactly the way they do.

#18 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:the pointy end of the boat

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

UeZan.jpg

#19 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,641 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Duh

Kinda missed my second post huh??

#20 derelicte

derelicte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

can't you just make a 3 minute long mp3 file and play it?

#21 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:the pointy end of the boat

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Duh

Kinda missed my second post huh??

no, i saw it ;) 

#22 stugy

stugy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

If you can't find an app, just record the sounds as an mp3 and play them with any audio player.

#23 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Should I repeat?  I will modify my app to do what you want if you tell me what it is that you want. All you need is an old Android phone or tablet.  The sounds will be synchronized to GPS time and repeat at any desired interval, or not depending on what you want.  If you want an iPhone app, I am of no help.

#24 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:55 AM

Shameless plug.....the app at the bottom of my post...for use by racers during and after the race.
Kinda handy, I think.

#25 Brass

Brass

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

@kent_island_sailor

I should have added that I can add sound if you tell me what it is you want.  I wrote this for the fine folks like you who make racing possible for the rest of us.

I probably can't fire a cannon or blast a horn but I can make the app count down the time and stuff like that.

I have looked at your app.  Nice neat countdown and display, with sync to GPS time.

I'm not sure that I have the full functionality:

• When I press Menu>Settings nothing happens:  Is 'settings' a stub with no content in it?

• When I press Flags from the Set Times screen I see a display of flags, but there does not appear to be any functionality:  should anything happen on this screen?

Simplest talking clock sequence would be (for a 5 minute sequence):

On PRESS START say FIVE MINUTES TO THE WARNING SIGNAL, ONE MINUTE TO DISPLAY OF PREPARATORY SIGNAL

@ 4:30 say THIRTY SECONDS TO DISPLAY OF PREPARATORY SIGNAL

@4:20 say COMING UP TO DISPLAY OF PREPARATORY SIGNAL

@4:10 say TEN, NINE EIGHT ..... FOUR, THREE, TWO ONE HOIST PREPARATORY SIGNAL

@3:30 say THREE MINUTES AND THIRTY SECONDS

@3:00 say THREE MINUTES

@2:30 say TWO MINUTES AND THIRTY SECONDS

@2:00 say ONE MINUTE TO THE FALL OF PREPARATORY SIGNAL

@1:30 say THIRTY SECONDS TO FALL OF PREPARATORY SIGNAL

@1:20 say COMING UP TO FALL OF PREPARATORY SIGNAL

@1:10 say TEN, NINE EIGHT ..... FOUR, THREE, TWO ONE DROP PREPARATORY SIGNAL

@1:00 say ONE MINUTE TO FALL OF THE WARNING SIGNAL [AND HOIST OF NEXT WARNING SIGNAL]

@:30 say THIRTY SECONDS TO FALL OF THE WARNING SIGNAL [AND HOIST OF NEXT WARNING SIGNAL]

@:20 say FALL OF THE WARNING SIGNAL COMING UP

@:10 say TEN, NINE EIGHT ..... FOUR, THREE, TWO ONE DROP WARNING SIGNAL [HOIST NEXT WARNING SIGNAL]

You could further elaborate the app, by:

• making the words in the countdown script variable depending on the SEQUENCE TIME selected

• providing for setting the flags for each warning signal in sequence, then substituting 'FLAG #' for 'WARNING SIGNAL' and 'FLAG #+1' for 'NEXT WARNING SIGNAL'.

• providing a POSTPONE/GENERAL RECALL button on the main screen, which would stop the clock, and reset it to a SEQUENCE TIME + 1 to provide for a restart in accordance with RRS Signals AP and Signals First Sub.

• Allowing SEQUENCE TIME to be set in seconds or half minute increments:  3:30 cycle is sometimes use for Team racing.

#26 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Great offer - thanks! I do not have an Android device around and someone found an auto-horn for me. Thanks again -

BTW< does a Kindle count as an Android device? I have one of those.

Should I repeat?  I will modify my app to do what you want if you tell me what it is that you want. All you need is an old Android phone or tablet.  The sounds will be synchronized to GPS time and repeat at any desired interval, or not depending on what you want.  If you want an iPhone app, I am of no help.

#27 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

@kent_island_sailor

I have looked at your app.  Nice neat countdown and display, with sync to GPS time.

• When I press Menu>Settings nothing happens:  Is 'settings' a stub with no content in it?

• When I press Flags from the Set Times screen I see a display of flags, but there does not appear to be any functionality:  should anything happen on this screen?

On PRESS START say FIVE MINUTES TO THE WARNING SIGNAL, ONE MINUTE TO DISPLAY OF PREPARATORY SIGNAL

@1:00 say ONE MINUTE TO FALL OF THE WARNING SIGNAL [AND HOIST OF NEXT WARNING SIGNAL]

@:30 say THIRTY SECONDS TO FALL OF THE WARNING SIGNAL [AND HOIST OF NEXT WARNING SIGNAL]

@:10 say TEN, NINE EIGHT ..... FOUR, THREE, TWO ONE DROP WARNING SIGNAL [HOIST NEXT WARNING SIGNAL]

• making the words in the countdown script variable depending on the SEQUENCE TIME selected

• providing for setting the flags for each warning signal in sequence, then substituting 'FLAG #' for 'WARNING SIGNAL' and 'FLAG #+1' for 'NEXT WARNING SIGNAL'.

• providing a POSTPONE/GENERAL RECALL button on the main screen, which would stop the clock, and reset it to a SEQUENCE TIME + 1 to provide for a restart in accordance with RRS Signals AP and Signals First Sub.

• Allowing SEQUENCE TIME to be set in seconds or half minute increments:  3:30 cycle is sometimes use for Team racing.

There is no menu -> settings in the app so if you have that it must be coming from your phone or tablet. I don't have any Android settings, everything is in the app.  The flags button just goes to a nice picture of the signal flags.

I think I have an idea of what you sane and can add that.  What I am thinking is just a file with times and messages and you can make them any thing you want.

Good suggestions, thanks.  I hope you find it useful and I will let you know through this list and the update in the Play store when I have it ready. Might be a couple of days.

Allen

#28 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,917 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

@kent_island_sailor

I gotta work something out to get R/C Assist back out there...it does pretty much everything above.  No voice prompts, it just shows you what flags to pull and when.

#29 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

I have finished making RCTimer talk.  It talks based on a simple text file.  For example the file might be like this

3:30 THREE MINUTES AND THIRTY SECONDS

3:00 THREE MINUTES

1:20 Flag down in twenty

It will speak based on the first word, which is not said and it will speak everything else.  You could also so almost the same as above with this file

3:30 3:30

3:00 3:00

1:20 flag down in 20

In this case at 3:30 it will say "three thirty".  At 1:20 it will say "flag down in twenty."

For a recall, just stop the timer and go to the set times screen and set it to what you want.  I can add the 30 seconds on the sequence if that is real and enough request it. I personally have never heard of it so I would like some actual users to request the feature for their personal use, not because they think someone else might like it.

I would like someone to test it before I put it in the play store because there are hundreds of people with this app and I don't want to be the only one who tested it in case I screwed up. I am asking for volunteers.

All this said, I believe this is not what the OP wanted.  He wanted a horn blast.  This will not do a horn blast... yet.  Maybe tomorrow :-)

Allen

L-36.com

#30 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

OK, the app will now do a horn blast.  For example, if you want a horn blast at 4:00 just enter this in the sound.txt file:

4:00

If there is no text, it will sound a horn instead of speaking the text.

This app will remain free.  It is for all the fine folks who make racing possible.

Who wants a copy?

Allen

#31 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Here is some documentation.

#32 Brass

Brass

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:44 AM

OK, the app will now do a horn blast.  For example, if you want a horn blast at 4:00 just enter this in the sound.txt file:
4:00

If there is no text, it will sound a horn instead of speaking the text.

This app will remain free.  It is for all the fine folks who make racing possible.

Who wants a copy?

Allen

Sure do.

Can you upload it to this forum as an attachment?

#33 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

Just email me and I will send you a copy.

http://L-36.com/contact.php

#34 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,641 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:21 AM

This place can be soooooo good!!!

Because of the folks who come here

Thanks for being yourselves

#35 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

If I can find a device to play this I am so going to get it.

B)

#36 Brass

Brass

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Just email me and I will send you a copy.

http://L-36.com/contact.php

Congratulations Allen.

Great turnaround on the bugfix I requested this afternoon.

Now looking pretty good.  Some hesitation/stutter in the countdown display once or twice a minute on my old Motorola XT535 running Android 2.3.7, but runs like a bird on the Galaxy Tab Lite.

Anyone wants to save typing, here's a script

6:00 six minute sequence begins, one minute to display of the warning signal
5:30 five minutes and thirty seconds
5:20 coming up to display of the warning signal
5:10 ten
5:09 nine
5:08 eight
5:07 seven
5:06 six
5:05 five
5:04 four
5:03 three
5:02 two
5:01 one
4:59 hoist warning signal, one minute to display of the preparatory signal
4:30 thirty seconds to display of the preparatory signal
4:20 coming up to display of the preparatory signal
4:10 ten
4:09 nine
4:08 eight
4:07 seven
4:06 six
4:05 five
4:04 four
4:03 three
4:02 two
4:01 one
4:00 hoist preparatory signal
3:30 three minutes and thirty seconds
3:00 three minutes
2:30 two minutes and thirty seconds
2:00 one minute to the fall of the preparatory signal
1:30 thirty seconds to fall of the preparatory signal
1:20 coming up to fall of the preparatory signal
1:10 ten
1:09 nine
1:08 eight
1:07 seven
1:06 six
1:05 five
1:04 four
1:03 three
1:02 two
1:01 one
1:00 drop preparatory signal, one minute to fall of the warning signal, and hoist of next warning signal
0:30 thirty seconds to fall of the warning signal, and hoist of next warning signal
0:20 coming up
to fall of the warning signal

0:10 ten
0:09 nine
0:08 eight
0:07 seven
0:06 six
0:05 five
0:04 four
0:03 three
0:02 two
0:01 one
0:00 drop warning signal

#37 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

^^ Thanks @Brass.  Nice script.   I would suggest just saying what should happen in advance like you do and just a horn blast at the instant they should have done it.  Horn blast at 0:00 would be just 0:00 with no text following.  

Also, you can say 0:03 3 instead of 0:03 three.

Details on how to get a copy are on L-36.com

I will add your script (with the above modifications) to the article on L-36.com

Allen

#38 Brass

Brass

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Don't agree with just a sound. You need a verbal executive command.

#39 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

^^ My thought is that if you want someone to raise a flag at 5:00, for example, you tell them before hand and then count down because if you tell them at 5:00, it is too late.  The horn is just the confirmation sound that they correctly followed your instructions.  You had the verbal commands at 20 and 30 seconds before the action was required.  I thought that was good.

Allen

#40 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

I added a flash screen to the beta app briefly explaining the new feature. One more beta tester and I will release the app to the play store.  Always free in appreciation of the job the RCs do to make racing possible for the rest of us.

Allen

#41 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

I have released RC Timer with talking to production.  You can find it on the Play store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users