• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 CruiserJim

CruiserJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, road cycling, reading.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

I heard a Mayday call around 4:00 pm.  Apparently an Olson 40 ( I think the name was Pythagoras?) was hit just outside Alamitos Bay, sounds like a man aboard sustained a head injury and was unconscious.  A scramble ensued while Long Beach and Seal Beach lifeguard boats searched for them, eventually got lifeguards aboard and were going to transport him to the hospital.  

Hoping/praying for a good recovery for the man injured, anyone have any other info about this?

#2 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:26 AM

There is an O 40 named Pythagorus.

#3 maxtrim

maxtrim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cruising, racing sailboats, bbq & cervezas

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:36 AM

We were headed back in from Catalina after doing the LBYC  Islands race. I saw the Olson 40 leaving the channel while struggling to get up their main. I think there were about 10-14 people on the boat and I got the feeling they did not have much sailing experience..... later, while we were sitting at the long dock putting sails away we saw them come back in with a large bow shaped hole in the port side about mid ships.

Hope the injured recovers.

#4 Doctor Mike

Doctor Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Heard this distress call too but we were disabled ourselves, four miles outside the breakwater.  Disturbing set of calls over channel 16.  Hope the injured party is ok, thought we'd see a story in one of the local papers about this.  We made it back to dock ok minus one rudder though.

#5 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

What kind of boat lost its rudder please?

#6 SailinRS

SailinRS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

The boat that lost its rudder was a Hunter 34.  We were racing from Catalina and had been head stay reaching for about 4+ hours in approx. 10+ kts of wind.  Note this is not the boat involved in the collision.

Pythagoras, an Olson 40, from what we heard on ch. 16, collided with a power boat and a crewmember was struck by an anchor.  It rendered him bleeding and unconscious.  IMO - The main difficulty first responders were having was the inability of Pythagoras to identify, other than being outside the jetty, where they were.

I hope to learn that all is well but you can really feel the fear from an anxious exchange on ch. 16.

#7 Wash

Wash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

Very curious to hear what happened--   I have had 3 close calls with power boaters myself this summer off the entrances of Long Beach, Huntington Harbor and Newport Harbor----   and have had to take serious evasive action as they go throttle up right up to the entrances and away from them with no regard for other traffic or rules of the road----

#8 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,035 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

and for a few seconds are completely blind as their bows sky...

#9 CruiserJim

CruiserJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

It sounded like the woman who initiated the mayday was a crewmember aboard Pythagaras but somehow ended up on the other boat.  She was clearly distraught and not able to provide a good lat/long.  I don't know why the skipper of the other boat was not able to get on 16 and provide information.

LB Lifeguards were asking her if they were inside or outside the "breakwall", which I take to mean the outer jetty, but I think she interpreted this to mean either inside or outside the Alamitos Bay jetties.  This is something the first responders need to consider in their communications in these situations.

Finally a man onboard Pythagaras got on the radio and gave a full lat/long and they had lifeguards aboard shortly thereafter.

It was stressful just to listen to, I can only imagine what they were going thru at the time.

#10 LBC

LBC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

Attached File  2014-07-21 13.52.54.jpg   77.22K   230 downloadsOuch!

#11 Blitz

Blitz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

That will buff out.

#12 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Pythagoras:   "Starboard !!!"

Power boat:    "what?"

Whether P under power or sail, here looks like, "If you're on the right, you're in the right."

#13 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

The level of total utter stupidity on the water is a marvel to behold.

#14 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

The old saying (really old)  "Bow damage (the other guy's) is VERY hard to explain."

TOG

#15 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

Interesting that the FP article lays the blame solely on the power boat from reading this thread it look like there is plenty of blame to go to both parties.

#16 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

Bob has since passed and his son Dale still owns and sails the boat.

So not my motocross yahoos it appears.

#17 mudshark

mudshark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

I saw them go out and then come back in.  The whole trip was less than 30 minutes so it must have happened right outside the bay opening.  

if the require power boats to be licensed, sailboats will have to be licensed too, but there are a lot of shitty sailors out there also.  I personally am almost perfect. HAHA!

#18 Thistle Drizzle

Thistle Drizzle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Rum and woman

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

How do you hit a 40' white sailboat in the day light?

#19 mudshark

mudshark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

pretty lame.  Maybe someone let someone drive and they did not throttle down in time?  

#20 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

probably a combination of alcohol, impaired judgement, inexperience, and not paying attention.

#21 40grit

40grit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

The Owners have some kind of TimeShare deal going with this Yacht. the ad is on CraigsList OC

This may be part of their multi level ownership gone awry? We see Pythagoras often, sailing with large crews all wearing lifejackets.

Hope the injured is OK

#22 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

how many of those stupid fucks put it on autopilot to go do something else..

#23 sailglobal

sailglobal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

Dale Winson sold Pythagorus a couple of years ago.  He's a very competent yachtsman with a lot of racing and cruising miles. No way would he get into this kind of mixup.

#24 GDN

GDN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

Want to set the record straight – Pythagoras is owned by Dale Winson and his dad, Bob.  Dale and Bob have been ocean racing together for 40+ years.

Pythagoras left Alamitos bay this past weekend with the entire family aboard for a Sunday sail.  While sailing on starboard tack, Pythagoras was struck by a charter sailboat on port tack.  Pythagoras did their best to avoid the collision, however, the bow of the sail boat - and bow anchor - struck Dale’s 84-year old dad in the head as he sat on the leeward side.  

Bob was struck in the head by the bow anchor resulting in a massive brain injury from which he will not recover.  Dale and his family are by his father’s side - they understand that he will pass away soon.

This is a really sad tragedy and to speculate any further is just that – speculation.  Hoping you will all say a prayer for Dale and his family.

#25 mudshark

mudshark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

I am terribly sorry to here that news. I have enjoyed watching that family sail by for years. I wish them all the best.

#26 bigrpowr

bigrpowr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:big horsepower

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

bummer !! prayers for the family. I remember that boat.

#27 Doctor Mike

Doctor Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for the update GDN--this sad news sounds consistent with the radio reports and the photo of the damage.  Terrible reminder of how danger can find even the most careful of sailors.  We had seen Pythagoras out only a few days prior in the lee of Island Chafee, anchored at race time Thursday night.  I remember our skipper remarked at the time on Pythagoras' formidable racing program in former years.

#28 CruiserJim

CruiserJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

I am so sorry to hear about his brain injury, I heard on 16 that a man in his 80s sustained the head injury from the other boat's anchor, so I thought it might be serious.  My thoughts and prayers to the family.

#29 LBC

LBC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

Blessed those who mourn,

for they will be comforted.

I will say a prayer at Pythagoras before we leave for Santa Barbara as our boat is on the next dock and can see it from the slip.

Safety remains important at all levels.

#30 GDN

GDN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Wanted to let you all know that Bob Winson passed away this morning at about 3:30a.  He was surrounded by his family - as he was when this terrible accident occurred.  Bob was surrounded by family wherever he went.  He loved being on the water with Dale.  He was a wonderful man.  I miss him already.

#31 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

Wanted to let you all know that Bob Winson passed away this morning at about 3:30a.  He was surrounded by his family - as he was when this terrible accident occurred.  Bob was surrounded by family wherever he went.  He loved being on the water with Dale.  He was a wonderful man.  I miss him already.

I am sorry for your loss and the loss of the rest of Bob's friends and family.

I hope both that his passing was peaceful for him and that you all quickly find peace with his passing.

#32 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

This is horrible and my thoughts for family and friends. Tragic loss for everyone.

#33 CruiserJim

CruiserJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Thank you for letting us know.

RIP Bob.

#34 msvphoto

msvphoto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

Thank you GDN for setting the record straight. This is horribly sad news. Boats can be fixed, people can't. This tragedy should raise awareness in us all, I know it has me. I am very sad for the Winson family and my heart goes out to them. I will think of them tonight while out sailing, and forever when I see an Olson 40 (which is often here in Santa Cruz).

#35 LBC

LBC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Prayers for the family and friends this morning and more as we set out.

#36 Thistle Drizzle

Thistle Drizzle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Rum and woman

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

Vary sad news, Thanks for keep us informed. My condolences to the family.

#37 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

my condolences..  prayers to the family..

#38 Graph

Graph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

For those of you who knew Bob Winson, his Celebration of Life will be this Sunday 7/27 at 2:00pm at The Crossing Church in Costa Mesa (2115 Newport Blvd). 

#39 seabreeze mermaid

seabreeze mermaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:23 AM

I am so sad to report.... The boat is on Gangway 32.  I was at a BBQ sat and saw this boat Pythagoras...  saw the damage and heard he died.

Seemed so tragic.  I think they said He had kids and his mom on board.  I think that's what they said.    The boat has a huge puncture and rip back by the driver area... I was told the anchor on the front of the boat hit him.  and it was clear to see, yes, with the impact the anchor would be in the driving area in the back of that sail boat.   scary sad.

#40 LBC

LBC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:33 AM

Pythagoras was gone from the slip today.  I don't know the current status.

#41 GDN

GDN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

If anyone has direct information about the collision or saw the collision, Dale has asked that you get in touch with him.  Dale's email address is dale@dwinson.com.  Thanks.

#42 sailcalifornia

sailcalifornia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

the boat is down in Newport beach with a very scary hole in the side.  It is chained and locked to a city mooring with a bunch of orange stickers all over it.  Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks,

Jeff

#43 CruiserJim

CruiserJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

Listening to the VHF that afternoon, LB Lifeguard called the Orange County Sheriff Harbor Patrol to come take a report at the dock as they determined that the collision occurred in OC's jurisdiction.  Perhaps some further investigation going on down there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users