New UK built and designed UK foiling cat......

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

PM me for more info and to place orders.........

#2 jr15457

jr15457

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, mountain biking, skiing

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Met the guy who built and sails that the other weekend, if what he's saying is true (have no reason to believe otherwise) it's a very impressive machine... Didn't get a chance to see it in action unfortunately

#3 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

Any online specs? Material, weights etc?

#4 barney

barney

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Would've been interesting to see it sail past the moth when they were foilng as well.

#5 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

Light wind testing.....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=l1Q1TUx1_yE

#6 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

More testing......

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xgahMfWHfFU

#7 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

Any online specs? Material, weights etc?

It weighs 75kg!.....

More details on material spec, sail area, etc coming very soon......

#8 vmg

vmg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

question;

If you are going to sail with 2# main t-foils, do you need 2# rudders? [Halve the drag by just having 1# central rudder]

Another question;

Can a cat that sails on 1# J foil and 2# rudders get more power down because of the fact that the crew weight is about 3 meters to windward of the main foil [ The 2# T foil boat has to sail upright with the crew weight closer to the center of rotation]?

#9 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

question;

If you are going to sail with 2# main t-foils, do you need 2# rudders? [Halve the drag by just having 1# central rudder]

Another question;

Can a cat that sails on 1# J foil and 2# rudders get more power down because of the fact that the crew weight is about 3 meters to windward of the main foil [ The 2# T foil boat has to sail upright with the crew weight closer to the center of rotation]?

One rudder - Two floats with foils. Either you invented something new here or this is called a trimaran.

Are 3 or 4 foils more efficient? I guess it depends on board control. This new cat is a real mystery:
- are there wands controlling the main foils?
- is the light platform stiff enough to support some extra righting moment from the windward foil?
- how are the foils controlled?

#10 mowgli

mowgli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

question;

Another question;

One rudder - Two floats with foils. Either you invented something new here or this is called a trimaran.

Are 3 or 4 foils more efficient? I guess it depends on board control. This new cat is a real mystery:
- is the light platform stiff enough to support some extra righting moment from the windward foil?

I see  controlling wands after the main foils in the light wind testing movies

#11 mowgli

mowgli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

question;

Another question;

I find a better movie from a testing without a mast, you can see the foil controls

#12 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,046 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

#13 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

Nice!

#14 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Multihulls

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:49 AM

Very impressive. Any details available?

Who is the designer/builder? Why T foils? Is there elevator control on the water? Does the windward foil produce down force at a certain ride height?

Awesome project and exciting to see people trying something other than the L-foil leeway-heave coupling approach.

#15 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Had a long chat with the designer/builder today.......more information coming very soon with respect to construction of the final production version including spec.........but just to let you know all up sailing weight is 75kgs of the prototype......with final production version very much less.......

#16 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

take of speed downwind is 4 knots......upwind 6 knots.....

and has already run it aground at close to 20 knots with no damage.....

#17 LowGroove

LowGroove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:49 AM

awesome looking machine, I love the slight iwndward heal, just looks very locked in on the foils, So this moth style wand set up looks to give great ride control as you would expect.

More drag than the Phantom/AC 72/nacra 20 style leward board?

or maybe not, I can see the moth style heal upwind makign plenty of sense.

it is great watching this development, obviously the moth has been around for years and has infuluenced this setup greatly, awesome work.

#18 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

18ft long, 75kg? Hmmm sounds (and looks)  familiar. Do you need two crew because of the lowered righting moment of twin main foils, or does it have twin wands to keep windward hull at a constant height?

#19 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

From the designer/builder.....

"the hull is carbon sandwich with kevlar carbon aramid in impact areas.

It has a 9.5m carbon wing mast with 16 square meters of sail and a roller furling gennaker the size of which is still to be determined. the rig loads are taken through the bowsprit. the production version is a single component monocoque with stress mapped fiber layup"

More info to follow.......

#20 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Latest video.......

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6AwfruS9aAo

#21 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

And here is a video of Grant Piggott (my business partner) sailing the Whisper (his very first attempt at foiling!)........and there was bugger all wind!......

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=feTw2NkZZUA

#22 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

Mighty impressive! Ease of sailing(foiling) is NAILED on this boat and Micheles little foiler. This is a hit! I'm assuming the boards are retractable....right?

#23 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,056 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

But Doug. I thought you said that having both foils down wasn't the way to go! ;)

#24 basildog

basildog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

Does all this full size foiling start to make Dougs little model start to look like a bit of a non event?  With all of the thousands of posts about the techo side of things it looks as if loads of others are just out there doing it.

#25 ita 16

ita 16

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:cat builder
    mast builder
    designer

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

doug at least proves to have an open mind to other solutions, and is also interested in understand the functioning, is a quality that few here have.

#26 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

It depends, doesn't Simon? New boats who aren't shackled by ridiculous rules are going to have ease of sailing as a priority. The two boats I mentioned do that exceptionally well.

But Doug. I thought you said that having both foils down wasn't the way to go! ;)

#27 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Does all this full size foiling start to make Dougs little model start to look like a bit of a non event?  With all of the thousands of posts about the techo side of things it looks as if loads of others are just out there doing it.

That is one of the most absurd comments I've yet read. Way to go, Basil!

#28 Chris O

Chris O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:Small craft design. Still and motion photography

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

On what did he run it aground.... a soggy mass of cotton balls?  Come-on UK... this is starting to sound like a DL entry that is 99% hype and little else, save for vapor. Get a better anecdotal report complete with imagery and some sort of substantiation.

Of course, nobody has once mentioned the out-the-door sailing price. At these weights, it has to be astronomical and as more and more of the Me-too fellas leap to have their own version of this kind of boat, the available market just shrinks and shrinks. If you are going to sell these boats, UK, you better get yourself a new pair of running shoes to try to find the folks who have that kind of disposable income.

#29 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Just to clarify the boards fully retract flush to the the hull surface so the boat can be launched in the same depth of water as a standard displacement catamaran........the foiling boards have both angle of attack and ride height 'on the fly' adjustment........rudders also are fully retractable and also have 'on the fly' trim adjustment similar to a moth.......final sail area of jib, main and furling gennaker (which hasn't been required so far as it has such a early take of speed).......the hulls and beams will be a monocoque style construction on the production boat.......first production boats will be ready for delivery in January 2015........

On what did he run it aground.... a soggy mass of cotton balls?  Come-on UK... this is starting to sound like a DL entry that is 99% hype and little else, save for vapor. Get a better anecdotal report complete with imagery and some sort of substantiation.

Of course, nobody has once mentioned the out-the-door sailing price. At these weights, it has to be astronomical and as more and more of the Me-too fellas leap to have their own version of this kind of boat, the available market just shrinks and shrinks. If you are going to sell these boats, UK, you better get yourself a new pair of running shoes to try to find the folks who have that kind of disposable income.

Hi Chris O.....off course it does not surprise me that you doubt this boat validity.....I wouldn't expect any less :) .....but have you not viewed the videos Chris?

This boat has been designed to be not the out and out fastest foiler (although it has already shown itself to be very very fast) , but the simplest to use and as such this has already dictated the final production foil design and will also dictate the final sail area based on the current daily sea trials....

Just to clarify, he ran aground in to a sandbank, so ok it's not concrete but who sail into concrete!..............and I do believe you will be gobsmacked at the retail price which will be finalised in the next 3 to 4 weeks........

Now I know you may doubt everything about the details of the boat, but by all means Chris O pm me for more info on the designer and his marine architect cv....

#30 zzarganas

zzarganas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:boat designing building and sailing

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

This foiler is one of the most user friendly with tons of stability comparing to other foilers. Maybe not a speed record braker, but who cares if is that stable, easy to handle and setup.

P.S i wish to see this piece of joy out there and make a selling success.

#31 stampede

stampede

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

I really appreciate all the enthusiasm people put in developing foiling and foiling cats. But where are all the foiling beasts that should have been delivered according to the manufacturers promises? I can not find a single video in the web from a private individual foiling around.

#32 vmg

vmg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

I really appreciate all the enthusiasm people put in developing foiling and foiling cats. But where are all the foiling beasts that should have been delivered according to the manufacturers promises? I can not find a single video in the web from a private individual foiling around.

...........and maybe the tape will last long enough to cover a tack or a gybe. I should imagine that some of the FP owners are getting the hang of it by now

#33 hawk 808

hawk 808

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Fast catamaran sailing

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

Right around the corner in the A Class Fail thread :

http://forums.sailin...55220&p=4625594

#34 Chris O

Chris O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hi Chris O.....off course it does not surprise me that you doubt this boat validity.....I wouldn't expect any less :) .....but have you not viewed the videos Chris?

I do not doubt the validity, UK, just the hype that far precedes the actual reality of the necessary elements... such as pricing. The boat will speak for itself, but wow! nothing like chumming the waters and having no hooks to set in a real way. ... and yes, I have seen the clips.

Just to clarify, he ran aground in to a sandbank, so ok it's not concrete but who sail into concrete!..............and I do believe you will be gobsmacked at the retail price which will be finalised in the next 3 to 4 weeks........

Yes, UK, comedy does rely on extremes to make its points, does it not? Maybe not so much concrete, but certainly rocks, oyster beds forgotten underwater obstacles, etc. and those do bring with them certain, shall we say, immovable realities when struck at speed. Just put the info out there sans hyperbole and let the gang decide for themselves. There's really nothing nearly as good about the function of a new boat as showing the issues both good and not so good, so that the consumer can make a reasoned, informed decision. If the design really does work as advertised, then it will show itself in a critical examination of facts... not hype. Don't we already have enough hype in this world of ours? I'm of the opinion that an honest presentation is not only fair and honorable, but actually refreshing and can be a real solid position from which to argue the sales potential.

Now I know you may doubt everything about the details of the boat, but by all means Chris O pm me for more info on the designer and his marine architect cv....

I'll do that.

To clear the table of assumption; I do not doubt the veracity of the product. I do, however, object to the suggestions of stuff in an attempt to make it look better than it is. Foils are very delicate instruments and as such, they depend, almost entirely, on that precious leading edge for a good deal of their effectiveness. While I'm sure that the hyperbole is well-intended in most cases, it also creates an air of invincibility that just isn't truthful at all. If one goes bashing about on this ride, then it will lose its ability to deliver that which makes it special. That ought to make for an interesting conversation should they come back to you for an explanation as to surviving a grounding intact and functional.

#35 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

Please remember Chris this isn't a Nacra (that I sell for a so called living).......my enthusiasm is based on some very long discussions with the designer and the practical experience of all those who have had a sail of it.......I have pm'd my phone numbers to you and I am happy to discuss the science and numbers at length at your convenience...I also know he would be happy to chat to you personally  about the science.......but be prepared to eat humble pie in large doses.....

Please don't be so negative about the information I have supplied on this forum so far as I always try to deal with facts rather than opinions.......

Regards,

NacramanUK

#36 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

I am still waiting for your call Chris O.......

#37 david r

david r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

So, there "a" designer?  It says on youtube that it is a university project.  It seems like a very cool thing to do at school.

Is it one of the universities paid for by the state, or one that a student has to pay for?

Also what is a monocoque hull?  No sandwich?  That weight is pretty crazy.  Seems odd that some one could shave that much off current weights, as there looks to be more components and width than an A, but the same or lighter weight.

#38 madboutcats

madboutcats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

Plenty of foiling cats you can order to be built right now, the improvements from 1st generation to 2nd generation will make these 1st gen boats more attainable for the masses in time  

Boyer was making 70kg, glass, A classes that could handle 130kg crew weight, nearly 30 years ago that are still going strong today, I'm keeping an open mind

#39 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,056 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

I can just about believe the 75kgs all up weight, but the only way of getting it down from there would be the use of very expensive materials and construction techniques.

Taking the weight as being the same as an A, it looks like the boat is very similar dimensions. Set aside platform weight for one moment, most of the other components will need to be stronger/heavier. The mast needs to support a jib, kite and an extra person on the wire, so that is heavier than an A. The sails will be heavier, because of the jib and kite never mind the likelihood that you would specify heavier sailcloth because of the increased loads of a 2 hander. Then you have the bowsprit and the kite furling gear. Finally, the foils will need to be stronger/heavier than an A because of increased loads.

All told, I find it hard to see how all the ancillary items won't add at least 5kgs to the weight compared with an A. That means that the platform is going to need to be at least 5 kgs less than an A. I do believe that is achievable, but to get lower than that would start to need serious exotics, such as hi-modulus carbon or even nano technologies. We are then beginning to talk very serious prices. So, IMO, 75kgs is possible at a stretch but if the price point is to be sensible, don't expect to see the weight any lower.

#40 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

Chris,

Your issues with running aground can apply to any boat, existing large fleets like F18's and A-Cats and Moths. A little epoxy can fix a leading edge in an evening, trailing edges can be harder to repair (and are just as critical in a cambered lifting foiling) but still a quick job. I'm more worried about the issues simon reports regarding weight and associated daggerboard well strength (those are more painful to fix but still an evening event).

Still, the boat is up and flying and in light winds, reporting great speeds and at 75kg is great for a double handed boat. Eagerly awaiting the price sheet!!!

#41 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:06 AM

Oh, Simon, there are modern construction techniques that can keep the weight low and not resort to super exotic materials...just need more expensive tooling and some out of the box thinking.

#42 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:38 AM

Problem is for small projects like this complicated tooling will drive up the price faster than exotic materials especially where they cant be confident of selling a lot of product.

#43 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,056 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Oh, Simon, there are modern construction techniques that can keep the weight low and not resort to super exotic materials...just need more expensive tooling and some out of the box thinking.

And you think they aren't being used on A's?

And as Scarecrow suggests, there are many ways to skin a cat but at the end of the day, if you chase weight savings on something which is very light already, it is going to add to the costs. Think about it. Overall, it has to be lighter and stronger than an A in most areas and equal in the others. 

Having said all of that, it looks a great boat, but I will be very surprised if the production version comes out at less than 75kgs and it sells for a decent price. And looking at the videos, why would you need to spend money to make it lighter when it foils so well in light breezes anyway. 

#44 david r

david r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

The flying phantom is 155kg, and is 2' wider, 4" longer.

The 2 front sails and the second person will add weight for other reasons too;  the  bows will want to pull together and must be made stronger than an A, there's all the hardware to trim the jib and spi, there's hardware for the second person to be in the trapeze.

The team  that made this boat must have come up with some cool ways of saving weight to do half the weight of an FP.

if monocoque means no sandwich in the hulls then the weight savings down to 65kg would be from using less material in the hulls and could actually being a cost savings.

#45 Chris O

Chris O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Your issues with running aground can apply to any boat, existing large fleets like F18's and A-Cats and Moths. A little epoxy can fix a leading edge in an evening, trailing edges can be harder to repair (and are just as critical in a cambered lifting foiling) but still a quick job. I'm more worried about the issues simon reports regarding weight and associated daggerboard well strength (those are more painful to fix but still an evening event).

Still, the boat is up and flying and in light winds, reporting great speeds and at 75kg is great for a double handed boat. Eagerly awaiting the price sheet!!!

After all this time, Sam, I think I have a good idea as to how a grounding effects an appendage... but we weren't talking about other boats and UK never mentioned them in his presentation. You don't make the issue go away by being inclusive, especially when the topic was very exclusive. But, I think you knew that already. 

As to a foiler being seriously damaged by a grounding compared to another, more conventional ride... unless the board just flat-out breaks off and is unusable, it will still sail in a very close fashion to what it did prior to the event. Yeah, it's dinged-up, but it still will function after a fashion. BUT.... with a foiler and a destroyed leading, or as you also indicate, trailing edge, it flat-out stops foiling. When it is sold as a foiler and it doesn't do that, what's the point? Sounds like a lot of cash for a boat that is ineffectual when it comes to its principal design objective. Maybe you have another take on that, and if so... I sure would like to hear it.

I've seen foilers come off their foils due to a plastic bag wrapped on the leading edge, so imagine what is going to happen when one of them hits a coral head at speed. It is the Achilles Heel of the foiling boat and its been known for years that there is no real solution. I guess you could buy a couple of sets of blades for each side of the boat and always have one ready for just such an event... if you want to keep foiling. That sounds like real cash to me. It's the price you pay for wanting to have the coolest new shit.

#46 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,056 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

The flying phantom is 155kg, and is 2' wider, 4" longer.

The 2 front sails and the second person will add weight for other reasons too;  the  bows will want to pull together and must be made stronger than an A, there's all the hardware to trim the jib and spi, there's hardware for the second person to be in the trapeze.

The team  that made this boat must have come up with some cool ways of saving weight to do half the weight of an FP. Not really. As I said above, if you take the A as a starting point seeing how similar they are in platform and rig size, it isn't that much of a stretch to get to 75 kgs.

if monocoque means no sandwich in the hulls then the weight savings down to 65kg would be from using less material in the hulls and could actually being a cost savings. 

Besides the fact it says carbon sandwich above, you could not build a single skin boat anywhere near light enough. It doesn't matter what material you use, thickness equals stiffness. Without sandwich material, the thickness and therefore weight of carbon needed to get to the same stiffness would be way in excess of the weight of the removed sandwich.

Monocoque probably means that it is built with no bulkheads in a one piece moulding process, which is what Marstrom used to do with their A's. The weight saved by not having to join the parts together plus not having bulkheads is added to the laminate and makes a very good boat if you know how to design the laminate properly. It explains how they get it to 75kgs, but I still think less will be tough.

#47 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

OMG imagine if all boats had to be made for the worst economies and sceptical of pundits? Would we still be using horse glue onto timber... oh wait any deviation from that is unviable, as noted by our esteemed box boat specialist commentator. Even at 100kg at the right price point this would work well and maybe even stay as a foiler entry class, until someone comes up with something cheaper & different, just like the Laser had such a short shelf life against all the new single handed skiffs launched during the 90s. :)

#48 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

OMG imagine if all boats had to be made for the worst economies and sceptical of pundits? Would we still be using horse glue onto timber... oh wait any deviation from that is unviable, as noted by our esteemed box boat specialist commentator. Even at 100kg at the right price point this would work well and maybe even stay as a foiler entry class, until someone comes up with something cheaper & different, just like the Laser had such a short shelf life against all the new single handed skiffs launched during the 90s. :)

+1 .....

#49 david r

david r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

I have lost the plot of what you guys are talking about-lasers and such.

Was just typing that the weight is pretty amazing at  half of an FP, which seems to be a pretty fast boat.

Then speculating that to get the weight down further materials will most like need to be subtracted from the formula.

monocoque |ˈmänəˌkōk, -ˌkäk|
noun
an aircraft or vehicle structure in which the chassis is integral with the body.
ORIGIN early 20th cent.: from French, from mono- ‘single’ + coque ‘shell.’

also there is no clear relationship between the word and various types of cat hull build processes.

hang on,  maybe the beams and hulls will be molded as one piece.  That could possibly save 10kg.

anyway the project is exciting.  Would love to have gone to that school where they worked on it.

#50 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,056 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

monocoque |ˈmänəˌkōk, -ˌkäk|
noun
an aircraft or vehicle structure in which the chassis is integral with the body.
ORIGIN early 20th cent.: from French, from mono- ‘single’ + coque ‘shell.’

also there is no clear relationship between the word and various types of cat hull build processes.

hang on,  maybe the beams and hulls will be molded as one piece.  That could possibly save 10kg.

Seriously, are you just dismissing what i have already posted? The concept of monocoque in cats isn't exactly new. First, there is the idea of no "chassis", which in the case of a boat are the bulkheads and which . And what you get literally is a "single shell" with no joins. It does save weight. On an A, which is the same size as this project, it's worth about 5-7kgs, although the only builder that I know of who used it (Marstrom) reinvested that weight saving in building a stronger boat. I am not sure that it would be possible to mold the beams and hulls in one piece for a number of reasons, but it's an interesting idea. However, it's clear not been done on this boat.

#51 david r

david r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

"Seriously, are you just dismissing what i have already posted?"

Not dismissing just offering a different theory.  The re-engineered, lighter boat that i am speculating about doesn't exist yet.  Therefore looking at the one that does exist won't necessarily answer questions about the newer model.

Airplanes have bulkheads and cars have a fire wall which is like a bulkhead.  I think most 18' cat hulls are monocoque except for old wooden ones that actually skin a series of frames.

Also i was incapable of imagining a 1 piece mold for a cat hull.  How would you get the part out, if the mold did not consist of pieces which could later be opened up to remove the part?

#52 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

Please note that my description was a monocoque "style" construction which (as mentioned by others) has certainly been done in the past. To clarify, this is looking at construction of hulls and beams as not being individually manufacture components i.e. each hull being made in 2+ parts(and then bonded together) and then joined together by 2 individually constructed beams (whether that be an ali or carbon beams), but as a much simpler two mold construction of the entire platform (at top mold and bottom mold). 

#53 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

By the way......despite sending Chris O both my landline number and mobile number with the offer of discussing the project in detail as well as the designers/project leaders cv and backround (to long winded to put into a pm or post) I have not heard a thing from him........does he have a phone?.....perhaps phones are just a fad that will pass with time?

#54 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

UK,

One word - Impressive.

The light air performance and stability are simple amazing. Have you tested the boat in conditions greater than 15+kts with any waves?

Btw: placing Chris O and Doug on 'ignore' is probable going to save you a lot of headaches.

#55 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

And launching

https://www.youtube....h?v=zC4no94T4o4

#56 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:44 AM

Excellent! Thanks.....

#57 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

Foil testing.......

https://www.youtube....h?v=QK9UchAtIKE

#58 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Interesting stuff-looks like they were testing how close to the surface they could get before the drag was too much? Was that the rudder foil or are they moving the whole main foil instead of using a flap?

#59 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

Southampton boat show report........

http://www.yachtsand...-Solent-Whisper

#60 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

While I think the Whisper appears to be a very interesting boat, the claim of a "revolutionary new hydrofoil system", on the face of it, seems  a bit over the top. Dr. Sam Bradfield is the modern pioneer of the application of wand based systems to multihulls-mainly trimarans. But Steve Killing designed the C Class "Rocker" using dual independent wand systems and there was at least one other cat using wands before him. But, there may be more than meets the eye in this incarnation of a wand based catamaran foiler and I look forward to learning more about it.

Picture from Yachts and Yachting/ onEdition:

Attached Files

#61 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

The numbers are impressive: http://www.w-w-i.com...00317&pg=1&gp=i

#62 NacramanUK

NacramanUK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

While I think the Whisper appears to be a very interesting boat, the claim of a "revolutionary new hydrofoil system", on the face of it, seems  a bit over the top. Dr. Sam Bradfield is the modern pioneer of the application of wand based systems to multihulls-mainly trimarans. But Steve Killing designed the C Class "Rocker" using dual independent wand systems and there was at least one other cat using wands before him. But, there may be more than meets the eye in this incarnation of a wand based catamaran foiler and I look forward to learning more about it.

Picture from Yachts and Yachting/ onEdition:

Please remember the report is written by a journalist Doug, rather than the designer!........have no dispute of the origins of wand control, but do strongly believe that how the Whisper boards autonomous trailing wands are used is based on a different bit of applied science and as such is quite radical......also the science behind the final platform construction also takes a quite different route.......Please remember the platform currently being used is to test the foil and control systems theories and come in a all up ready to sail boat weight of 78kgs. The final all up sailing weight of the production version will come in at closer to 65kg's......

#63 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

Well, I'm very interested in learning more of the details.

#64 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:26 AM

Trailing edge wands were tried by John Ilett at the 2005 Moth Worlds and quickly dicarded. They apparently worked on the smooth waters of the Swan River in Perth but failed dissmally in the rougher water of Port Phillip Bay. No one has tried them on a moth since, in fact John and others have tried extending the wand base forward of the hull on sprits with greater success. In moth terms at least there seems to be an advantage if the wand feels the water ahead and anticipates the flap resonse in advance.

The Glide Free Laser foils also use the trailing edge wand and while I am assured by the promoters that they work fine I have not yet seen a set in operation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users