8 replies to this topic

#1 AndreasE_NO

AndreasE_NO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

Looks like the Brazilian Olympic committee has started a propaganda campaigning towards potential sailors to convince them that it will be safe to sail there in 2016. ....Also it does not look like competitors are convinced yet

From Marthe Enger Eide's (Norwegian Laser Radial hopeful) facebook:

"The organizing committee for Rio 2016 had a presentation today about the water pollution and the waste in Guanabara Bay. ( Where severel of our racing areas are supposed to be.) They say that the water quality is meeting the international criterias of feceal waste, but t they are continuing to build sewage systems and preventing waste going out from the many rivers going out in the bay. 

They showed us some very nice charts proving that the criterias have been met and showed us pictures of the new inhabitant of the bay, the Seahorse. But Im still skeptical. The smell alone tells a different story than what they show us on their charts. Today I sailed through a pile of garbage.
But sailing outside of the Guanabara Bay is really nice. The water is clear and blue and deep. I really hope the Brasilian government get a handle on the pollution problems, not only for the Olympics, but for the 200 million people living here."

source

https://www.facebook...rio2016?fref=nf

#2 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:41 AM

https://twitter.com/...4852992/photo/1

Dog?

#3 Ron D

Ron D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy Sailing

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

From what I read, they promised to divert 80% of their sewage for treatment, but apparently may be lucky to hit 50%.

Better hope that they don't have any wild races like Qingdao or everyone is going to need a serious course of antibiotics.  Once dumped in Toronto harbour and got infected through the tiniest scratch.  Knee swelled like a grapefruit from the puss.  I can only imagine what the Olympians will be facing.  Anyone else here, sailed a cesspool and can paint a picture for us?  (Anyone from Halifax should have some good stories ;) )

#4 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

On NPR yesterday there was an interview with an environmental activist there--a fisherman, who watched all the fish disappear after a huge Petrobras spill there years ago--who is in hiding due to death of his fellows.  They mentioned the olympic sailing issue too which was sort of unusual.

#5 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Olympic sailing in Barcelona was a shitpit too. 

#6 Ron D

Ron D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy Sailing

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

http://www.dailymail...ls-beaches.html

"In April, the state government said it was cutting the Olympic clean-up budget from $1bn to £51m, according to Global Post"

***gag***

#7 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

https://twitter.com/...4852992/photo/1

Dog?

Was it alive when it hit the water?

I've sailed many times in what some may consider a cesspool, though now mostly as a result of mercury and PCBs left there thanks to Honeywell (Allied Chemical).

Although way back when i was young, the sewer would back up under heavy rain and...well .... at least they largely fixed that problem. Still catches a fair bit of urban sanitary sewage & run-off, but surprisingly the bacteria levels are now lower than many other pristine appearing lakes. No swimming though...not officially allowed for a few more years. In twenty years, i truly hope remediation is fully successful.

#8 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Its about time such places as Brazil stopped being so corrupt and start spending money on taking care of things like sewage.

Boycott the Games, No way I would go sail in a shit tip like that. Purely on principle. Good old mankind, taking from Earth and giving nothing back except refuse. And no, I am no tree hugger (not many trees around my way) The Harbour I sail on had raw sewage dumped into it for many many years. All the outfalls have been chopped with 99% of the sewage being pumped out and onto an exposed part of the coastline. Its not good, we need a treatment plant. Place has got the money to do it.

Massive difference to the Harbour now, much cleaner. Ironically one of the last outfalls is right slap bang next to the slipway I use, so got to tread carefully depending on the tide state:)

#9 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,844 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

Interesting piece about Rio as a sailing venue (not about pollution). One word summary would be "random".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: olympics, pollution, dingy, propaganda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users