Mooring on south side of east end of St. John USVI (Coral Bay)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stumbler

stumbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Has anyone here ever been by boat over to the east end of St. John and stayed in or around Coral Bay? My whole family is thinking about renting a house in that area around Xmas, but our boat will be there (45' sloop, draws 6.5') as well and we would need a mooring or very quiet/safe anchorage where she could sit unattended for a few days at a time. Ideas? 

#2 kingstonsail

kingstonsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on Bacon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

I've anchored in Coral Bay overnight (on a late December night so busy tourist time).  It is a shallow, sandy anchorage.  I have no knowledge of moorings but it has a well populated mooring field in the Harbour area.  We were maybe off Pen Point and it was a very quiet achorage even given the time of year.  I would have had no problem leaving the boat alone for a day or two on a mooring.  The Skinny Legs bar was the highlight of our short stay.

Attached File  coral.PNG   231.39K   23 downloads

#3 TQA

TQA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Caribbean cruising as long as I can

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:49 AM

Basically anchoring is discouraged/forbidden around St Johns EXCEPT if no moorings are available. The designated anchorages are really not suitable for leaving a boat unattended.

The authorities say to contact the National Park administration, Tel. (340)776-6201 for St. John info.

#4 kingstonsail

kingstonsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:52 AM

TQA... I think with respect to Coral Bay in particular you are incorrect.  There is no problem at all with anchoring there.  I do think that moorings are tough to come by though.  Coral Bay is a designated anchorage site.

I'm willing to admit however that a single night stay does not make me an expert...but I'd caution stumbler to take your advice with a grain of salt.

#5 TQA

TQA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Caribbean cruising as long as I can

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

I bought my boat in St Johns at that time it was moored in Chocolate hole. I visited most of the possible anchorages including Coral Harbor in my perambulations around St John getting to know my new old boat. It was not possible to find a spot to anchor in Coral Harbor on both my visits there. There is a resident community of boats there that have taken all the reasonable spots. It is also badly affected by swell if there is much south in it. 

I moved to Round Bay anchored there in a spot shown as a designated anchorage in my guide and on my chart.

I was visited by a Marine Park ranger within an hour and told that I was anchored illegally and to take a mooring but that the moorings were for day use only?

When I questioned this she told me to contact the park authorities in Cruz Bay and gave me their phone number. 

Since then I have passed through this area twice in my retired wanderings around the Caribbean and find the marine Police in both St Thomas and St Johns continue to be quick to enforce the ever changing anchoring mooring regulations.

For St Johns the experts on those regulations are the Marine Park authorities. They are not keen on multi day anchoring of unattended boats but they MAY know of mooring availability.

Re moorings It is my understanding that the private moorings are all licensed and that there are rules about subletting. I know when I revisited Chocolate Hole taking up the mooring which the PO had paid for I was challenged within a day and had a prolonged discussion as to whether I could stay. 

The OP may be renting a house if so he could ask the agents if a mooring was available.

#6 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

Despite the local boats on mooring in Coral Bay, if you have ever anchored in any popular harbor in New England or the Chesapeake or the like, then you should be able to find a spot that doesn't step on any toes. Be aware that a anchoring spot within the mooring field may look fine during the day, when the breeze gets light in the evening your greater scope on an anchor may conflict with the short mooring pennants and boats will swing together. That doesn't go over well with the locals anywhere and a second hook may just add to the animosity as most of the local boats swing free to one rode or pennant. I don't care if you are William F. Buckley in your blue blazer with dinner reservations at Caneel Bay, be sure that your boat won't 'bump in the night' or happy hour as the working class liveaboards are just getting home to their boats. 

You might check with Proper Yachts in Cruz Bay as they have licensed multi boat moorings for their fleet of Hinckleys in Great Cruz Bay for short term rent and if you have a rented home for that period it isn't that bad a drive. Better yet, I'll come down and stand anchor watch for you while your up at the house getting Dengue!

http://www.properyac...om/mooring.html

Things are getting tight all over the Island and Coral Bay used to be pretty laid back in all aspects. Sandy Mohler (Coral Bay Marine, behind Skinny Legs) might be able to help you, she knows the pulse on all things in the bay.

http://barnako.typep...-coral-bay.html

If the DPNR Nazi's don't harass you, the empty bays and creeks of Hurricane Hole are tempting but then you run afoul of the Park Service Nazi's but they rarely pull guns on you...

#7 MangoMan

MangoMan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

http://www.nps.gov/v...information.htm

http://www.nps.gov/v...ooringGuide.pdf

#8 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

I've got a mooring on St. John you can use for free. PM me for details.

#9 kingstonsail

kingstonsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:15 AM

the mooring guide shows that coral harbour is neither part of the National Park nor the Coral Reef National Monument.

#10 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

Yes but the local DPNR consider it their own.

#11 MangoMan

MangoMan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:21 AM

the mooring guide shows that coral harbour is neither part of the National Park nor the Coral Reef National Monument.

#12 MangoMan

MangoMan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:24 AM

And the same for the eastern half of round bay, which is where I prefer to anchor. I haven't googled to see what the territorial regs are, but if there are no regs to be found on the books, I would tell the DPNR cocksuckers to go pound sand.

#13 soma

soma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:08 AM

Dpnr come around once a year, if that. Dpnr isn't really a thing.

#14 GMiller

GMiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

If I were anchored in Hansen bay (eastern round bay) I would never leave. Hmmmm! Mrs vie's!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users