50 replies to this topic

#1 badlatitude

badlatitude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,115 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

Obama calls it like it is today with his radio address. So Congress is on vacation for 5 weeks, only to come back for 8 days in September, so they can take all of October off. No wonder nothing gets done.

1. 'They're Not Even Trying'

“We all agree that there is a problem that needs to be solved in a portion of our southern border. And we even agree on most of the solutions. But instead of working together, instead of focusing on the 80 percent where there is agreement between Democrats and Republicans, between the administration and Congress, House Republicans as we speak are trying to pass the most extreme and unworkable versions of a bill that they already know is going nowhere, that can't pass the Senate and that if it were to pass the Senate, I would veto. They know it. They're not even trying to actually solve the problem.”

2. So Sue Me?

”Keep in mind that just a few days earlier, they voted to sue me for acting on my own, and then when they couldn't pass a bill yesterday, they put out a statement suggesting I should act on my own because they couldn't pass a bill.”

3. Diplomatic Delay

“Even basic things like approving career diplomats for critical ambassadorial posts aren't getting done. … They're still blocking our ambassador to Sierra Leone, where there's currently an Ebola outbreak. They're blocking our ambassador to Guatemala even as they demand that we do more to stop the flow of unaccompanied children from Guatemala. There are lot of things that we could be arguing about on policy. That's what we should be doing as a democracy, but we shouldn't be having an argument about placing career diplomats with bipartisan support in countries around the world where we have to have a presence.”

4. ‘A Little More Extreme'

“They couldn't quite pull off yesterday, so they made it a little more extreme so maybe they can pass it today, just so they can check a box before they're leaving town for a month. And this is on an issue that they all insisted had to be a top priority.”

5. They Can't Even Agree With Themselves

“So now we have a short-term crisis with respect to the Rio Grande Valley. They say we need more resources, we need tougher border security in this area, where these unaccompanied children are showing up. We agree, so we put forward a supplemental to give us the additional resources and funding to do exactly what they say we should be doing. And they can't pass the bill. They can't even pass their own version of the bill. So that's not a disagreement between me and the House Republicans. That's a disagreement between the House Republicans and the House Republicans.”

6. ‘Congress Is Failing'

“A student loan bill that would help folks who have student loan debt consolidate and refinance at lower rates -- that didn't pass. The transportation bill that they did pass just gets us through the spring when we should actually be planning years in advance. States and businesses are raising the minimum wage for their workers because this Congress is failing to do so.”

7. Problem Solving? Not So Much

“When Congress returns next month, my hope is, is that instead of simply trying to pass partisan message bills on party lines that don't actually solve problems, they're going to be willing to come together to at least focus on some key areas where there's broad agreement. After all that we've had to overcome, our Congress should stop standing in the way of our country's success.” http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=24809700

#2 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,989 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Sometimes nothing is better than something.

#3 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

baby_obama.jpg

#4 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

You gotta admit, it takes a special kind of special to talk out of both sides of your mouth.

2nqfj0j.png

Go, Tom Cole!

#5 badlatitude

badlatitude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,115 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Before they ran off like cowards into the night, they gifted us with $12 Billion dollar appropriation bill for the military. Unpaid for of course.

#6 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,989 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

i'm more confident Obama will issue practical executive orders than the R congress, after fighting amongst themselves, come up with a practical solution.  

Other than maybe shoot on sight.

#7 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

Goals:

1. F with president

2. Some other stuff - not sure what

#8 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

Before they ran off like cowards into the night, they gifted us with $12 Billion dollar appropriation bill for the military. Unpaid for of course.

They have to take care of those who bought and paid for them to get reelected....

#9 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Obama has such a way with people. His natural penchant for inclusion and positive communication is a healing balm on the hate dividing our wounded nation. 

We should change his title from POTUS to POULTICE. 

Obama, sir, you are my hero. 

#10 badlatitude

badlatitude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,115 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Happy Jack. View it anyway?

I had no idea how liberating this would feel. I recommend it to everyone. I feel like I just beat cancer.

#11 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

They have to take care of those who bought and paid for them to get reelected....

I hope you are not singling out Republicans, Billy.  They are all bought and paid for and owe allegiance to special interests.

Obama has no problem blaming Bush and now Congress for everything that is wrong with this country, and yet he pats himself on the back for anything that actually goes well.

I'm tired of the divisiveness on both sides of the aisle, but I do expect more leadership from a President.  There's a reason why there is no equivalent to the term "presidential" to apply to Congresspeople when addressing their visions or lack thereof.

#12 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

When he acts like a leader, folks in the GOP bitch about him acting like a monarch.

When he doesn't, folks in the GOP bitch about him leading from behind.

The common thread would be the bitching from folks in the GOP.

#13 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

All hail the POULTICE long live the presidential mustard plaster. 

Obama, bringing America together with the unifying language of name calling and buck passing. 

#14 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

When he acts like a leader, folks in the GOP bitch about him acting like a monarch.

There's a huge difference between leadership and unilateral action.  Unilateral action, in fact, requires no leadership at all - it simply requires power.

#15 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Happy Jack. View it anyway?

I had no idea how liberating this would feel. I recommend it to everyone. I feel like I just beat cancer.

I wonder if that will save you from accusing me of incest and molestation**? 

** http://forums.sailin...18#entry4631071

#16 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

There's a huge difference between leadership and unilateral action.  Unilateral action, in fact, requires no leadership at all - it simply requires power.

Why are you down on Obama's obvious and heartfelt attempt to heal our national divisions. Can't you see how hard he trying to work and cooperate with Republicans. Just look at today's speech. 

#17 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

You gotta admit, it takes a special kind of special to talk out of both sides of your mouth.

2nqfj0j.png

Go, Tom Cole!

There are executive actions that are within the president’s constitutional authority and then there are extra constitutional executive actions. It’s disingenuous to deliberately conflate the two.

#18 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Meanwhile the do nothing Senate were already home playing golf and hobnobbing with the patrons.

#19 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

2nqfj0j.png

Go, Tom Cole!

There are executive actions that are within the presidents constitutional authority and then there are extra constitutional executive actions. Its disingenuous to deliberately conflate the two.
Dog, can you give us a list of Obama's executive actions that are unconstitutional? I'm curious as to what's ok and what's not.

#20 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

Here is an article on cases that have been adjudicated. There will certainly be more, many with respect to the executive rewriting of Obamacare.

http://dailycaller.c...ime-since-2012/

#21 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

Meanwhile the do nothing Senate were already home playing golf and hobnobbing with the patrons.

The Senate+House were in session yesterday.
Both were scheduled to be in recess today.

https://www.senate.g...14_calendar.pdf
http://majorityleade...ion-Monthly.pdf

Sorry for the confusion.

#22 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

The Senate+House were in session yesterday.
Both were scheduled to be in recess today.

https://www.senate.g...14_calendar.pdf
http://majorityleade...ion-Monthly.pdf

Sorry for the confusion.

No confusion, the do nothing senate left before the house.

#23 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

Negative Dog, but I can understand your confusion.

http://www.mcclatchy...tml?sp=/99/104/

Both houses were in session yesterday.
Neither is in session today.

#24 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

Here is an article on cases that have been adjudicated. There will certainly be more, many with respect to the executive rewriting of Obamacare.
http://dailycaller.c...ime-since-2012/

Goodlatte made the claim that the Supreme Courts 9-0 decision last week was the 13th time the Supreme Court has voted 9-0 that the president has exceeded his constitutional authority. Thats a stretch, at best.
The only decision among the 13 in which the High Court clearly found Obama had exceeded his constitutional authority was the case Goodlatte said occurred last week. The late June decision in NLRB v. Noel Canning found that Obama had overstepped his authority in making three appointments to the National Labor Relations Board without Senate approval.
Richard Lempert, a nonresident senior fellow with the Brookings Institution and an emeritus law professor at the University of Michigan, reviewed Goodlattes list of cases for us and said that only Noel Canning can be fairly cited to support this position.
http://www.factcheck...tive-overreach/

#25 badlatitude

badlatitude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,115 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

Schooled again.

asoaa0deuhxzmu4mbs2z.gif

#26 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Both houses were in session yesterday.
Neither is in session today.

Negative O. The senate left town before the house.

#27 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Dog, I have facts on my side.
You have a lukewarm cup of Tea.

#28 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

No you don't. The house worked into the night on the immigration bill. The senate was long gone. Sorry for the confusion.

#29 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

No you don't. The house worked into the night on the immigration bill. The senate was long gone. Sorry for the confusion.

The House works late into the evening (10PM) on a day they were already in session. The Senate was also in session.

http://www.senate.go.../08_01_2014.pdf

Sorry for the confusion.

#30 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

The House works late into the evening (10PM) on a day they were already in session. The Senate was also in session.

Sorry for the confusion.

The Senate adjourned at 2:51 PM yesterday (link).

The House adjourned at 10:14 PM yeasterday (link)

Hope that clears up any confusion.

#31 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Sorry for the confusion.

The house was still there working after the do nothing senate had left town. Not my favorite Republican but he is right on here…

#32 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

It does. Your feral brother wishes to give the mis-impression that the House was busy doing important work and the Senate had left town. In fact, both were in session that day and the House only voted on a DOA bill to save face for Boehner who had failed to pass a real border bill. Knowing it was a DOA bill and wouldn't be taken up by the Senate, Boehner then asked the Kenyan to (illegally?) use his executive authority to do what he was unable to convince his caucus to do.

We regret the confusion.

#33 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

It does. Your feral brother wants to give the mis-impression that the House was busy doing important work and the Senate had left town. In fact, both were in session that day and the House then voted on a DOA bill to save face for Boehner who had failed to pass a real border bill. Boehner then asked the Kenyan to (illegally?) use his executive authority to do what he was unable to convince his caucus to do.

We regret the confusion.

The confusion still exists when someone uses the term "a real border bill".  It was not "real" because the Senate would not have voted for it and Obama would have vetoed it. 

The only "real" legislation is legislation that Reid and Obama want.  I understand your perspective, but I don't like it.

#34 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

The only "real" legislation is legislation that Reid and Obama want.

Negative. We have a republican system of government cobbled from the Romans. It is quite inefficient and was designed to be that way. The House Speaker can refuse to take up a bill. The Senate Majority Leader can refuse to bring up a bill. The Senate minority can filibuster most bills with 40 votes. The President can veto a bill. A law passed by a supermajority in both houses and signed by the President can be challenged in Court.

#35 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

It does. Your feral brother wishes to give the mis-impression that the House was busy doing important work and the Senate had left town. In fact, both were in session that day and the House only voted on a DOA bill to save face for Boehner who had failed to pass a real border bill. Knowing it was a DOA bill and wouldn't be taken up by the Senate, Boehner then asked the Kenyan to (illegally?) use his executive authority to do what he was unable to convince his caucus to do.

We regret the confusion.

You’re partly right, I was trying to leave the impression that the house was still there doing important work after the senate had left town but only because it’s true. That the do nothing senate will not do its job should not prevent the house from doing its job.

#36 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Negative. We have a republican system of government. It is quite inefficient and was designed to be that way. The House Speaker can refuse to take up a bill. The Senate Majority Leader can refuse to bring up a bill. The Senate minority can filibuster most bills with 40 votes. The President can veto a bill. A law passed by a supermajority in both houses and signed by the President can be challenged in Court.

Was the legislation passed by the house "real" or not?

#37 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,545 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

Negative. We have a republican system of government. It is quite inefficient and was designed to be that way. The House Speaker can refuse to take up a bill. The Senate Majority Leader can refuse to bring up a bill. The Senate minority can filibuster most bills with 40 votes. The President can veto a bill. A law passed by a supermajority in both houses and signed by the President can be challenged in Court.

Was the legislation passed by the house "real" or not?

This is.

OH LOOKY, over there, problems in the Gaza Strip and Ukraine.

#38 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

I wouldn't call it real. Boehner had failed earlier in the week to pass a real border bill. He only passed this one at the last minute to save face. Then he asked the Kenyan to cover for him.

So between failing, face saving and having his ass covered, no, I'd wouldn't call that real work on Boehner's part.

#39 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,545 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

I wouldn't call it real. Boehner had failed earlier in the week to pass a real border bill. He only passed this one at the last minute to save face. Then he asked the Kenyan to cover for him.

So between failing, face saving and having his ass covered, I'd wouldn't call that real work on Boehner's part.

So, once again, the House passes a bill the senate dodges it and you whine about the bill that was actually passed.

Rah, Rah, Sis BOOM BAH!!!

#40 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

Yawn.

http://www.washingto...ss-border-bill/

#41 HardOnWind

HardOnWind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

baby_obama.jpg

We all know that is a fake. This is real:

john-boehner-crying.jpg

#42 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

One has to wonder why Badlatitue would want to highfive such a divisive speech? To be honest Obama's words are politics and not flattering to the office of President.

baby_obama.jpg

We all know that is a fake. This is real:

john-boehner-crying.jpg

You have to have a cold heart not to be sad for America right now.

#43 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

Even O Boy is weepy

obamacutout.png

#44 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Negative. We have a republican system of government cobbled from the Romans. It is quite inefficient and was designed to be that way. The House Speaker can refuse to take up a bill. The Senate Majority Leader can refuse to bring up a bill. The Senate minority can filibuster most bills with 40 votes. The President can veto a bill. A law passed by a supermajority in both houses and signed by the President can be challenged in Court.

I don't need a civics lesson, as I am one of the few people here on the record as being very uncomfortable with one party controlling the Executive and both Houses of Congress.

My comment was directed at your concept of -- "Boehner who had failed to pass a real border bill".  Obama's threat to veto or Reid's unwillingness to bring it up for a vote doesn't make it any less "real" than anything Reid or Obama have proposed.  

I am surprised that with your excellent grasp of our system's checks and balances, you would challenge the validity of a bill eminating from Congress.

#45 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

It wasn't emanating from Congress; it was a bill passed by the House. As such, it has all the authority of me requesting a date from Kate Upton.

And it's a simple fact that Boehner *failed* to pass a real bill.

http://www.washingto...ss-border-bill/

It's also a simple fact that Boehner asked the Kenyan to do what he couldn't.

http://www.politicus...-bill-pass.html

Then *after* all that, Boehner passed a DOA bill for folks like you. Now y'all can call that valid bill real. It would be imaginative of you.

#46 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

Pointless bill. 100% political calculus, 0% responsible governing.

#47 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

It’s not pointless in that it represents the consensus of the people’s representatives. Pointless only because the do nothing senate will not take it up. That’s 0% responsible governing.

#48 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

2nqfj0j.png

Go, Tom Cole!

There are executive actions that are within the president’s constitutional authority and then there are extra constitutional executive actions. It’s disingenuous to deliberately conflate the two.

IMHO, you are too willing to ascribe honorable intentions and noble motivations to the way Boehner's Boys are behaving.

This was not about a select bunch of Executive Orders with which they disagree.  This was an attempt to humiliating a sitting President, as they have tried unsuccessfully to undermine him with scores of votes to repeal the ACA.

#49 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

Republican math fail and excellent propaganda in one remarkable screenshot. http://crooksandliar...al-rating-chart

fnc-sr-20140730-poll-chart_zpsd94d2964.j

You really are one ignorant bupkis 

fji1w4.png

http://www.democracy...ryVoice.web.pdf

#50 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

It’s not pointless in that it represents the consensus of the people’s representatives. Pointless only because the do nothing senate will not take it up. That’s 0% responsible governing.

That word you are using. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Also, the do nothing Senate passed S.744 68-32 last year and the heroic Boehner still hasn't taken it up.

Why is that?

You can read about S.744 here:

http://thomas.loc.go...y/z?d113:SN744:

#51 BigGuyWithPinkHat

BigGuyWithPinkHat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

Republican math fail and excellent propaganda in one remarkable screenshot. http://crooksandliar...al-rating-chart

fnc-sr-20140730-poll-chart_zpsd94d2964.j

You really are one ignorant bupkis 

fji1w4.png

http://www.democracy...ryVoice.web.pdf

Notice that Jack chose to use RED in his annotation. That probably means that he is a closet Communist or worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users