#1 JeronimoII

JeronimoII

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:scotw, vor, ac, exss

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

Now that the fleet is complete, I suggest to start a new thread for the actual race legs. The entrants one is 22 pages long...

Let's start with a prediction about the final standings in Gothenburg next summer (and in Cape Town):

1. Azzam (this is Ian's race to loose, I reckon. Star-line-up well funded)

2. Brunel (Bouwe has unfinished business with the race. Could well end first, but he has got some youngsters on board that could be a liability)

3. Campos (great sailors on board, but coming late and with the skipper expected to miss some legs. Too many handicaps to be able to win?)

4. Vestas (same as Campos, but actually with a full dedicated skipper. Could end up mixing my prediction. Crew unknown yet)

5. Dongfeng (the frenchies are extremely strong, but are short of crew with the unexperienced chinese...)

6. Alvimedica (first time youngsters...likely to struggle while learning)

7. SCA (somehow a surprise to see them fall back so fast in the RBI and the Canaries regatta...)

#2 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

i tend to agree with your form guide, however, I think differences between the top 4 will be very small.

I also think that any of the 7 can win a leg, and like any OD regatta, taking the overall win will be about consistency.

#3 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

I think you've got it mostly right, but I'd put Brunel or Campos ahead of Azzam- Walker has never seemed to be quite the Sailor Bekking or Martinez are, and both them of them have unfinished business with the race.

But I think any one of the four- Brunel, Azzam, Campos or Vestas could have it

#4 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

I would put Azzam at the top, with the crew they have. Bekking is the weak point in Brunel I think, though difficult to discount Capey.

Agree with the top 4. This could be a really tight race!!

#5 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,089 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

I would put Azzam at the top, with the crew they have. Bekking is the weak point in Brunel I think, though difficult to discount Capey.

Agree with the top 4. This could be a really tight race!!

Really?  agree about Capey though.

#6 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

Now that the fleet is complete, I suggest to start a new thread for the actual race legs. The entrants one is 22 pages long...

....fyi...yer can click on 'last post',,,and save paging-through each time  :mellow:  :rolleyes:

#7 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

Agree with your top 4 for the first leg although I think Vestas could be very fast fresh out of the box

#8 Francis Vaughan

Francis Vaughan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

I think the last two races where we have seen the VO65's actually go head to head, has outlined  just how critical the navigator is going to be.  One mistake and you are out the back door; then as usual, the rich get richer as the race progresses.  The first leg will also reward the crew's offshore experience but that advantage will diminish.  I don't think we have a full list of navigators yet, but once we do, my betting will be firmly based upon that list, with all the other factors a clear second.

#9 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

I think the last two races where we have seen the VO65's actually go head to head, has outlined  just how critical the navigator is going to be.  One mistake and you are out the back door; then as usual, the rich get richer as the race progresses.  The first leg will also reward the crew's offshore experience but that advantage will diminish.  I don't think we have a full list of navigators yet, but once we do, my betting will be firmly based upon that list, with all the other factors a clear second.

SCA - Libby Greenhalgh

Abu Dhabi - Simon Fisher

Dongfeng - Pascal Bidégorry

Brunel - Andrew Cape

Alvimedica - Will Oxley

Campos - Nicolas Lunven

Vestas - Tom Addis

#10 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,262 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Wasn't Libby part of the Origin PR team? Quite a step-up to go to RTW navigator!

#11 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

Wasn't Libby part of the Origin PR team? Quite a step-up to go to RTW navigator!

Probably more relevant is her experience as a weather router.

#12 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,991 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Quite a meteorology cv.

http://www.rya.org.u...greenhalgh.aspx

http://www.weatherwhiz.co.uk/cv.htm

Qualifications:

• Met Office IFC and FCC courses (2004)
  • Masters in Applied Meteorology (University of Reading, 2002)
  • Bachelors Degree in Geophysical Sciences (University of Southampton, 2001)
Experience:

2007 to date:

Skandia Team GBR British Sailing Team Meteorologist- including Beijing Olympics 2008, check out the team here

2010:

Virgin Active Kite surf across the channel. Read more about it here

2010:

Tour Voile for Sail Oman

2010:

JP Morgan Asset Managemnet Round the Island Race - weather briefing brought to you with Raymarine. Check out the videos here

2009:

BeNumber1 Land End to John O’Groats - charity ride supporting professional atheltes of different sports

2007:

Nurberging 24 hour race 

2007-2010:

Commodore’s Cup, Fastnet, RORC offshore racing series, Cowes week

2004-2007:

Met Office Weather forecaster

• Training undertaken at RAF Odiham
  • Posted to MOD Aberporth and Outer Hebridies

#13 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,262 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Probably more relevant is her experience as a weather router.

No offense intended- didn't know she had done all that. I sit corrected.

#14 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Didn't think you were meaning any offence.

I know that for the coaching team finding the right experience has been really difficult. Both Sam and Dee were trialled as Navigators, but it was decided that their experience was needed on deck more. SO I think it is now a joint role with Libby and Sam.  Libby brings a wealth of different experience to the team especially on the weather front, but there is no female navigator who has the experience that those other names have (except perhaps Adrienne Cahallan, but she did not apply).

It has been made very clear by Brad Jackson that finding the relevant experience has been really difficult. The ability is there (whatever thetruth might say), but the experience is the thing that is lacking. Women just do not get the same chances to build experience outside of the VOR. After all, if you run a mini maxi, 52, MOD70, big Swan, or even a superyacht you are probably going to pick a sailor with experience and muscles...and that means picking a bloke in general.  Plus, of course, most people get their mates on board.

#15 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

I guess the earlier talk about maybe sacrificing navigational prowess for faster drivers was false. All the boats have big name navigators on them.

#16 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,089 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

SCA - Libby Greenhalgh

Abu Dhabi - Simon Fisher

Brunel - Andrew Cape

Alvimedica - Will Oxley

Campos - Nicolas Lunven

Vestas - Tom Addis

There's some big names there, be very difficult to make a call on who is at the top of the game from that list.

#17 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

I'm guessing a real battle between Vestas and Azzam - followed closely by Brunel and Campos. The others will be nipping at the heels.

But I am truly interested in watching SCA's progress. It's going to be a very interesting study in what the VOR really takes - and why.

#18 GnarlyItWas

GnarlyItWas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

They do seem to be big name navigators, but it seems there is a lean towards navigators with shorthanded experience. I think Andrew Cape did the BWR and the figaro / shorthanded guys on Campos and Dongfeng. Seems to me to be that navigators will be needed on deck more than last time.

#19 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,249 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

SCA - Libby Greenhalgh

Abu Dhabi - Simon Fisher

Brunel - Andrew Cape

Alvimedica - Will Oxley

Campos - Nicolas Lunven

Vestas - Tom Addis

There's some big names there, be very difficult to make a call on who is at the top of the game from that list.

+1

#20 Krashwerks

Krashwerks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:09 AM

My bias aside; I vote for the team with the only sailor to win, not one, but two, round the world races. I do not believe that Martinez stepping off for 2-3 legs will adversely impact their performance.

Each team has experienced an unique and unexpected issue aboard its vessel which will undoubtedly impact overall performance. The ability to solve problems quickly and recover time will win the race.

#21 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

..........Each team has experienced an unique and unexpected issue aboard its vessel which will undoubtedly impact overall performance. ....

...it'd be interesting to hear more on this...^^.....

#22 nixon

nixon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

They do seem to be big name navigators, but it seems there is a lean towards navigators with shorthanded experience. I think Andrew Cape did the BWR and the figaro / shorthanded guys on Campos and Dongfeng. Seems to me to be that navigators will be needed on deck more than last time.

Nicolas Lunven is a Figaro sailor - has won a bit of silver ware there including a win. Perhaps a potential Vendee sailor next go around.

Looked up Pascal - he has some solid Figaro results too, and was crew on BP5 when they set the Atlantic record and 24 hour record (with a day's run of 908.2 nautical miles (1,682.0 km) at an average speed of 37.84 knots (70.08 km/h) - faaaark).

That certainly is a pretty impressive bunch of navigators.

#23 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I think the last two races where we have seen the VO65's actually go head to head, has outlined  just how critical the navigator is going to be. 

One mistake and you are out the back door; then as usual, the rich get richer as the race progresses.  The first leg will also reward the crew's offshore experience but that advantage will diminish.  I don't think we have a full list of navigators yet, but once we do, my betting will be firmly based upon that list, with all the other factors a clear second.

...yes,,given that the boats are OD and they hold together......sooo much is on the navigator--to a point.

....lets not forget it's yacht racing,,,a fickle sport,always with surprises--how many times does a boat get ahead only to get becalmed and the fleet sails around!?.............shit happens on all scales  :mellow:

#24 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards Campos for the win.

In both Martinez and Desoyjeaux they've great skippers and a not too shabby team/ budget to boot.

The lack of preparation time in relation to the other boats might hurt for the first leg or two, but it'll even out from there on in.

#25 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

..yeh,,the early entries made the race look interesting in a 'B-fleet'** sort of way,then Martinez,,Nicholson,,and Bekking come in later with some Afleet action....I hope the extra effort that Alvi and SCA have put in keeps it all close.,but of course it's an ocean race--there WILL be wildcards 

....I hav'ta say I personally see little reason to pick teams...I guess I'm drawn to the overall spectacle,,not too long now!

........**....a joke  :)

#26 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

Nicolas Lunven is a Figaro sailor - has won a bit of silver ware there including a win. Perhaps a potential Vendee sailor next go around.

Looked up Pascal - he has some solid Figaro results(1st) too, and was crew(Skipper) on BP5 when they set the Atlantic record and 24 hour record (with a day's run of 908.2 nautical miles (1,682.0 km) at an average speed of 37.84 knots (70.08 km/h) - faaaark).

That certainly is a pretty impressive bunch of navigators.

#27 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Pascal Bidegorry was an ORMA skipper who won the Figaro and was skipper of BP5 for a while- until they weren't so happy with him being so cautious and waiting for a perfect weather window that never arrived.

That cautiousness could well stand to him in the Volvo when holding the boat together could be the name of the game.

Hopefully they're much stronger and reliable this time round though

#28 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Pascal Bidegorry was an ORMA skipper who won the Figaro and was skipper of BP5 for a while- until they weren't so happy with him being so cautious and waiting for a perfect weather window that never arrived.

That cautiousness could well stand to him in the Volvo when holding the boat together could be the name of the game.

Hopefully they're much stronger and reliable this time round though

.....indications from the roundBritain race seem positive,,,though I'm still wondering what mrKrash was referring to??

My bias aside; I vote for the team with the only sailor to win, not one, but two, round the world races. I do not believe that Martinez stepping off for 2-3 legs will adversely impact their performance.

Each team has experienced an unique and unexpected issue aboard its vessel which will undoubtedly impact overall performance. The ability to solve problems quickly and recover time will win the race.

#29 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

SCA - Libby Greenhalgh

Abu Dhabi - Simon Fisher

Brunel - Andrew Cape

Alvimedica - Will Oxley

Campos - Nicolas Lunven

Vestas - Tom Addis

Do not know Tom or Libby but you can be sure that the others on the list have helming skills (and general crew work skills) as high as all the others on their respective teams.  

#30 whispers

whispers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:43 AM

Tom has the skills as well Libby ?

#31 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

Is Libby related to rob and Pete greenhalgh the talented brothers who have won numerous events including the volvo (Rob)

#32 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:18 AM

Is Libby related to rob and Pete greenhalgh the talented brothers who have won numerous events including the volvo (Rob)

Younger sister

#33 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Is Tom addis confirmed as navigator for Vestas? Nothing on their website.

Any other crew news on Vestas?

#34 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:23 AM

Is Tom addis confirmed as navigator for Vestas? Nothing on their website.

Any other crew news on Vestas?

Not confirmed.

Anyone recognise the faces in the pictures?

https://twitter.com/...1538690/photo/1

#35 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

I would guess they might be some of the shore crew

#36 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:59 AM

I would guess they might be some of the shore crew

It's Nico above the "T" right?

#37 explenture

explenture

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

How are they working the sails?  Obviously some teams have many more thousands of miles than do the newer teams.  Do they all get a new suit for the start?

#38 Francis Vaughan

Francis Vaughan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

How are they working the sails?  Obviously some teams have many more thousands of miles than do the newer teams.  Do they all get a new suit for the start?

Yes.

#39 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:54 PM

..http://forums.sailin...23#entry4658681 ...post 2222

#40 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Brunel

Campos

Abu Dhabi

Dongfeng

Vestas

Alvimedica

SCA

#41 corkob

corkob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:Monohull Offshore racing

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

Brunel
Campos
Abu Dhabi
Dongfeng
Vestas
Alvimedica
SCA

What odds???

#42 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

Brunel
Campos
Abu Dhabi
Dongfeng
Vestas
Alvimedica
SCA

Leg one or the race?

#43 whispers

whispers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Abu Dhabi
Campos
Vestas
Sca
Dongfeng
Alvimedica

Leg one

#44 whispers

whispers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

Vestas
Campos
Abu dabi
Sca
Alva med
Dondfeng
For the race

#45 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:16 PM

Leg one

Campos

Abu Dhabi 

Vestas

Sca
Dongfeng
Alvimedica

Race

Abu Dhabi 

Vestas

Campos
Sca
Dongfeng
Alvimedica

I'd like to see Vestas do even better but it'll come down to how they go in the first couple of legs while learning the boat.  If they're in the top three in both of the first two legs then I'd say they've got a shot at the win. 

#46 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:19 AM

What odds???

.....what. ever.

#47 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:01 AM

Leg one

Campos

Abu Dhabi 

Vestas

Sca
Dongfeng
Alvimedica

Race

Abu Dhabi 

Vestas

Campos
Sca
Dongfeng
Alvimedica

I'd like to see Vestas do even better but it'll come down to how they go in the first couple of legs while learning the boat.  If they're in the top three in both of the first two legs then I'd say they've got a shot at the win. 

So you don't see Brunel featuring in the results?

#48 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:12 AM

I was working with a cut and paste from whisper and didn't notice it missing.

First in leg one and first or second overall.

#49 Robin Wasa 55

Robin Wasa 55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

Not really Leg 1, but I have a question about the Inport Race in Alicante, does anyone know what time it will start? I know it´s the 4th of October, and I´m guessing the race would start like 14:00 or so, but I havent been able to find a time on the Volvo site.

I want to book my flight from Alicante to London, and I would prefer to leave in the evening the 4th, so would be good to know if its possible to see the Inport race and be able to catch a flight at 20-21 some time without to much stress :P I´ll have the whole friday in the Race Village anyway, and I have other stuff to do in London on sunday, so flying out on saturday evening would be best, and also cheapest :)

#50 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

Not really Leg 1, but I have a question about the Inport Race in Alicante, does anyone know what time it will start? I know it´s the 4th of October, and I´m guessing the race would start like 14:00 or so, but I havent been able to find a time on the Volvo site.

I want to book my flight from Alicante to London, and I would prefer to leave in the evening the 4th, so would be good to know if its possible to see the Inport race and be able to catch a flight at 20-21 some time without to much stress :P I´ll have the whole friday in the Race Village anyway, and I have other stuff to do in London on sunday, so flying out on saturday evening would be best, and also cheapest :)

.....I have no idea of details--nothing new there,,,,but why not book a mid-eve flight ,20-21 as you say,,,,then you can have a nice dinner in Ali before hitting the airport.,or grab some fastfood if things run long?

.....white people problems :mellow:  <_<

Attached File  white people problems.jpg   6.56KB   7 downloadsAttached File  white people problems2.jpg   8.99KB   6 downloads

#51 Robin Wasa 55

Robin Wasa 55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:45 AM

Okey, thanks anyway! Yeah, it is kind of a white people problem, I agree, still a "problem" though :P

I just thougt that since people here knows everything about everything, some one could have know this ;)

But yeah, doesnt seem likely that I wouldnt be able to catch a 20:40 flight from ALC, doesnt seem to be very far from the VOR Village to the airport.

#52 whispers

whispers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

I was working with a cut and paste from whisper and didn't notice it missing.

First in leg one and first or second overall.

sorry was drunk posting what's the odds on brunel finding a charted mountain or breaking apart

#53 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:49 AM

...8 days to go!,,,,Alvi's already bandaging each other,,,,the french are looking for film for their camera,,,,,the gals have gone 'shopping',,,,,,,and I've boosted my internet speed  :)

..there's quite a few 'interesting' articles at......  http://www.volvoocea...om/en/home.html  ...but nothing better than putting all the spec to bed soon and getting on with some very live excitement---this..will..be..GOOD!!

the Alicante race village prepares to welcome the crowds, the sailors are saying their farewells...

“I always tell them that it’s just a race” – Bouwe Bekking, Team Brunel

After chalking up half a dozen laps of the planet over the last three decades, Bouwe is well-placed to deliver advice as the big race draws closer.

“Treat it like an evening regatta,” adds Bouwe, with a smile and a shrug of the shoulders.

“Of course, have respect for nature, and feel fortunate to be a part of it, but don’t start living in a bubble. The world keeps on turning.”

Wise words from the six-Volvo veteran as he attempts to keep his younger sailors’ butterflies at bay. And speaking of butterflies…

“We’ll still have the binoculars out on the first leg” – Dave Swete, Team Alvimedica

Nope, not bird watching, or plane spotting – for the American team, the next few weeks are still all about figuring out their rivals. “We’ll be learning all the way to Cape Town!” adds the Kiwi.

If you thought Leg 0 was the last chance for the teams to study each other, you were wrong – that education continues all the way through the race.

“With the race this close, I savour the time we’ve got left on land. I feel ready – a lot more ready than I ever felt last time,” says Dave – and the good news is, his team feels ready too.

They're in good hands at least. Dave, and Mark Towill, attended the teams' Medics Refresher Course held by the Volvo Ocean Race medical team this week. 

m27324_crop8_1024x576_proportional_14116
Ainhoa Sanchez/Volvo Ocean Race

And as a nominated first aider within his crew, Dave was reminded how to stitch a wound, take blood and apply bandages correctly.

“Charlie and Mark are good at recognising people’s strengths and weaknesses, and drawing from them." he says about his skipper and team mate. "They are very good leaders.”

“It’s a bit of nerves, a bit of anxiety, but I’m really ready to go” – Luke Parkinson, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing

Hey Luke, there’s a toilet just around the co- oh, you mean ready to go to Cape Town. Of course.

It’s all happening in the Abu Dhabi camp right now. The guys are back from their final holiday before the start of the race, and are putting the finishing touches to their months of hard work and tough training.

“When we first started, I felt like I was in the deep end a little bit,” admits the Aussie bowman. “But we’ve done a lot of miles now, and I feel a lot more comfortable.”

“I think last edition, Ian was probably a lot more stressed. He says he’s a lot happier with our preparations, so it’s sending good vibes throughout the team.”

“There are always little things you can tinker with on the boat, but at some point you just have to go with what you’ve got – that day will come soon.”

“I tried to leave home with a clear head” – Charles Caudrelier, Dongfeng Race Team

m27306_crop8_1024x576_proportional_14116
Ainhoa Sanchez/Volvo Ocean Race

It’s exciting times in the Franco-Chinese camp. Frenchman Yann Riou, who spent the last edition with winning team Groupama, has been officially named as their Onboard Reporter, and it’s also been a week to remember for their skipper.

“I’ve been home, my brother got married,” says Charles. “I spent a lot of time with my family, making sure that everything is organised for my children.”

“It wasn’t the most relaxing time, but I made the most of it before nine months on the boat!”

But is it frustrating being so close to the start date, yet so far?

“No, I like this period,” he says. “I’m okay this week, but next week I’ll be impatient for the race. When you leave, so does a lot of pressure.”

“I took two days holiday in Lanzarote – my island!” – Carlos Hernández, Team España

Wow, sounds nice. 48 hours with friends and family, and most importantly, spending as much time as possible on dry land, before nine months of cramped bunks, freeze-dried food and soggy underwear at sea. So what else did Carlos get up to?

“I sailed into Ibiza, on a TP52 boat.” Oh. You can’t help some people.

Anyway, as sweet as the time off tasted, it didn’t last long for Iker Martínez’s crew – and they’re back sweating in the team base once again.

“It never stops – working on the boat, in the gym, and sailing. We’re really making final preparations for the race now.”

“We feel like a bit of a family” – Tom Johnson, Team Vestas Wind

A weird, all-male Australian-Kiwi-Danish family, yes – but a family nonetheless.

And at just 23 years old, and the youngest on the team, I guess Tom takes the role of the little kid… with four Volvo veterans playing dad.

“Trae, Salty, Nico and Coxy – the older guys – are awesome at helping us get up to speed,” he smiles. “It’s a big learning curve for the younger guys on board.”

“We got three days off last week, but our passports have been taken away, so we just cruised around Alicante – it was nice!”

Hmm. Passport removal. Well that's one way to make sure that the teams stick around and work on the boat...or go shopping and blow the budget on muesli bars.

0.jpg
Team Vestas Wind: Shopping

"I love the ocean and sailing boats. I have the sea in my veins.” – Sam Davies, Team SCA

And ultimately, that’s the point. That’s why we’re all standing here, a week before the start of the 12th edition of this incredible race.

"To me, the ocean remains a magical place that I feel honoured to have spent so much time in," adds Dee Caffari.

That’s why 66 brave sailors are saying goodbye to their families, friends, pets and comfort zones.

That’s why many more shore crews, boat builders and engineers are swapping life as they know it, for life at the extreme.

And that’s why this is the final Dock Talk. For months, we have tracked the preparations of the teams, from selecting the crewmembers, to stormy transatlantics and safety training.

But the time for talk is over – the boats are ready, the teams are ready, and all eyes turn to Alicante.

“The cure for everything is saltwater. Sweat, tears or the sea.” – Isak Dinesen, Author

Rest assured, we’ll be seeing all of the above over the next nine months.

#54 prime8

prime8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Fast dinghies, ocean racing

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

NBC Sports Network is going to air a weekly show about the race in the US:

http://nbcsportsgrou...lvo-ocean-race/

Interesting. Makes me kinda wish I had cable.

#55 2to1

2to1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

ram/keel attachments.

Attached Files

#56 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

......4days,,18hrs to go!!!

........new HS internet connected and ready! :)  :rolleyes:

#57 jfunk

jfunk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

fly out tonight. Hola Espania

#58 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:40 AM

....do us proud!  ;)

#59 bigrpowr

bigrpowr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Interests:big horsepower

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:14 AM

....do us proud!  ;)

certainly that implies pass out drunk on the Alicante yacht club floor and puke ?

#60 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:19 AM

....do us proud!  ;)

certainly that implies pass out drunk on the Alicante yacht club floor and puke ?

No, it implies carrying out acts of carnality in the ladies toilets.

#61 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:20 AM

....do us proud!  ;)

......a stow-away on the SCA?!

#62 bigrpowr

bigrpowr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Interests:big horsepower

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:32 AM

....do us proud!  ;)

No, it implies carrying out acts of carnality in the ladies toilets.

touche'

#63 2to1

2to1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

....do us proud!  ;)

you only live once, work it. jegermeister and wine.

Vestas first or second leg 1.

#64 Robin Wasa 55

Robin Wasa 55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

I'm flying down to Alicante on Thursday:) I'll do my best to "represent" SA;)

#65 JeronimoII

JeronimoII

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

I am in town since last WE... village looking good, all boats back in the water today. 

#66 Manfred

Manfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Sailing DN on hard water and all sorts of boats on soft water

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Flying out tomorrow. Have left you a message. 

Have a smooth flight and hopefully not across the "more dangerous parts of the world...

#67 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

......4days,,18hrs to go!!!

........new HS internet connected and ready!     :rolleyes:

......oh,,I guess that countdown is to the in-port,,,,something that some people care about more than myself.

...here's the actual timing of events.....  Race village opens: October 2nd, 2014          In-port race: October 4th, 2014 

Leg start: October 11th, 2014

...countdown for the -real- race is ~11 days! 

#68 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

Flying out tomorrow. Have left you a message. 

Have a smooth flight and hopefully not across the "more dangerous parts of the world...

.....Don’t miss the Experience – featuring live shows, an interactive quiz, celebrity appearances, and even a unique opportunity to feel the thrill of hurtling across the ocean at 40 knots!

.......tell us if that feels any different than being a mouse in a paintcan with the agitator turned on high!  :mellow:

..........do they make you put 4week dirty,,pissed-in clothes on first!??  :o 

#69 Manfred

Manfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

Looking forward to this experience. 

#70 Fool on the Hill

Fool on the Hill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

What time is the start of the in-port?

#71 Chainlocker

Chainlocker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Interests:Single handed racing, dinghy racing (Buccaneer 18), disabled sailing, King Krimson, extreme residential swimming pool design.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

I can not find a start time or if the in port race will be streamed live on YouTube. I am guessing a 1300 start (700 EST), and any live programing to start around an hour earlier. Does anyone have any real info on what's going on. The NBC and Outside TV coverage doesn't include the in port or the start next week and I have exhausted last editions replays and need a new VOR fix.
Help me please, I am too poor to fly to Spain and my days as shore support are long behind me, so I can only stare at the 60".

#72 GnarlyItWas

GnarlyItWas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

Will it all be on you tube afterwards ? Had a horrible realisation. My Mum is visiting on the day of the in port, going to grandfather in laws funeral on the day of the offshore start. Inconsiderate or what.

#73 Headntac

Headntac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Sailing in general.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:56 PM

Stuffed if I can get a start date for this thing,it is the volvo site again?    Found it.

#74 Robin Wasa 55

Robin Wasa 55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:16 AM

I'm pretty sure the In port starts at 14:00 local/CET, atleast that's what I calculated about two weeks ago when I first saw the countdown timer on the VOR site. Could be wrong though, hoping to find it written somewhere in the race village tomorrow:)

#75 SailingPerformance

SailingPerformance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Yacht performance analysis and design services

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

Attached File  IMG_1008.JPG   275.26KB   28 downloads
Hi to all,
Planning as follows:

Thursday October 2nd: Practise race, dockout at 11.30. Evening from 20.00, race village opening.
Friday October 3rd: Practise race, gun at 1400 & ProAm race, gun at 1600
Saturday October 4th; Sailor parade at the village at 11:30, dock out at 1200, Inshore race gun at 1400, dockin at 1600

#76 Robin Wasa 55

Robin Wasa 55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thank you very much Sailing Performance! Now I know what I'll be doing tomorrow:)
I guess nothing happens at the village tonight after midnight? :P I'm landing at 23:35..

#77 Manfred

Manfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

Just back from Alicante, I must say it had been a great experience, great fun and a lot to see and to discover. I try to put something together for you all.

@ Couchsurfer: It had been early days for getting the "piss". They were actually preparing the machine, which was still in "white" but some technician explained the inside to me and showed me the water outlets. Lots. Yesterday evening after the price giving, I had seen it on the other side of the "basin" and it was multi colored, had all the fancy photos and stickers and was moving, moving… But for me too late to try.

The VOLVO people have done a lot to engage the press, the general public, the kids and everyone in Alicante. Right on the entrance of the very hugh festival area, with the seven boats moored prominently, they had BRAZIL 1 without keel for people to enter and to look around, but only by putting them a helmet on. Besides the fully rigged copy (?) of the PIRATES, or maybe the original? It´s all coated film these days and it could have been anything from the VOR70 area, it was just way too high with the keel mounted to have a more proper look at the deck gear. 

All the participating sponsors had their hugh tents (looking like permanent buildings and many have two similar ones to ship in between stop overs, like first goes to third, second to fourth… I have only taken part in a full tour in four "tents", namely VESTAS and SCA, the half cut VOR 65 with galley, bunks and all and the VOLVO experience with multiple "play stations". All were very good at getting their message across. E.g.: as english is not my native language, I first thought that the "writing on the wall", I mean, the message on the rooftop of the VESTAS "tent"in big letter reading: "We must win this race", did sound arrogant to me, until I had discovered from the guided tour inside, what it means: WE (like we all) must win this race (against the pollution of the oceans, our world and all). It got me and though as a German we are already very sensitive about such matters there was more to learn and to integrate into ones life.

Anyway, lots to see and to discover incl. the boats and than came the parade of the teams before the in-port race. 
Oooohps, the day before they had a practice race and though everyone here at SA knows that you do not want to win the practice race as it makes you a looser later, there had been a few interesting things to be seen. The first three practice starts had been sailed mostly with the "upwind code zero" in light air. Than the see breeze settled in and they sailed a two lap race. It was obvious, that the boats are slow in a maneuver. VESTAS did not look good to me. The very, very short preparation time showed clearly. The SCA girls had been the first to try with a jib during the first start procedures, maybe 11 on the team helps sharing the hard work of up and down with this sail. (Was it also on furls, I do not remember...). The ALVIMEDICA boys did very well. Sucking low with great VMG on the downwind did give them good distance between them and the fleet at the finish.

The in-port race in my view from the media boat:
Hundreds and hundreds of spectator crafts had to be "policed" by volunteers and the police. Some had not much of an idea about the wind and how the course would have to be laid out. Orange buoys had been laid way behind the starting area and therefore we (the people on the media boat) were not able to take a line eye. It looked though, if VESTAS and MAPFRE were over early but who I am to judge. Have not seen the vid by the way, all my reporting here is from my memory. So, the race got on it s way and the fleet departed quickly on to both sides of the course. The media boat had to stay low behind the starting line and we could see a near scramble in the far distance at the 2 weather marks. Close racing indeed. Some went left and some went right. We were close to the boats coming from the right side and it was ABU DHABI who had found about 2 kn more speed than the other three boats, all coming in with right-of-way against the boats from the left. ABU just past their opponents with more pace on the last third of the downwind and were clearly first to round the right bottom mark. It was a three lap race and MAPFRE, who were not good, coming from the left on the first upwind leg, was clawing its way back mainly on the downwind. The ALVIMEDICA guys hung in there with DONGFENG on their heels. On the last downwind they departed from the ABU DHABi team and sailed to the left, whilst Walker s team went right. Walker jibed first on to starboard. About one third of the leg, being sailed on starboard ALVI jibed to "seemingly" checking in with ABU. And they were hauling. Man, it was exciting! The cross came closer and the ALVi team jibed right on to the face of ABU, letting them not much room. (Of course the jibe is slow, but their distance and angle was timed so well, the ABU DHABI was able to come up, nearly side by side and than with the "backwash" of ALI´s sails was falling behind and ALVI won this race in front of ABU and MAPFRE. A well earned victory in my eyes. VESTAS was falling so far behind that I have to re-think my cheering for this team, but being so close here to Denmark and having faith in Nico and the team including the two hard working Danes, they might cheer me up later during the VOR. What was obvious to see, they were the only ones not having the rolled up gennaker properly being taken down on the upwind and maybe due to this crew error, very, very wide roundings and just not the pace upwind to stay in touch. I will later view the race on the tube and maybe some of my observations will get clearer to me. 

One last word: Before even the first start of the practice I wrote to my dear friend and avid sailor, Andreas: "Now i think it is great that nobody here will be able to show up with a secret weapon, instead boats and sails are all the same. I have changed my mind, this will be a great race".

#78 JeronimoII

JeronimoII

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Dee Caffari just posted on her FB page that she is not taking part on Leg 1. A pity. I really wonder about the team dynamics inside SCA, especially with the already mentioned "consensus" approach on board, which sounds like madness. Interesting that the high caliber coaches they got (Torben Grael has joined Signorini and Mason) agreed to this. 

#79 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

Just back from Alicante, I must say it had been a great experience, great fun and a lot to see and to discover. I try to put something together for you all.

@ Couchsurfer: It had been early days for getting the "piss". They were actually preparing the machine, which was still in "white" but some technician explained the inside to me and showed me the water outlets. Lots. Yesterday evening after the price giving, I had seen it on the other side of the "basin" and it was multi colored, had all the fancy photos and stickers and was moving, moving… But for me too late to try.

.....Manfred,,thanks for taking time to report back here...even with your komisch/english there's many details that are interesting.

.....it took me a while to realize you were telling me about the VO simulator thingy...I'd be curious to know if they have different intensity settings for kids,,mums and 'Manfred's??  :rolleyes:

.....I think the 'surprises' you mention will indeed be part of the game,,just more subtle--these guys(and guyette's) know how to work the rules  

.                     .......and hopefully not some -big- surprises in area of gearbusting :huh:

.....Don’t miss the Experience – featuring live shows, an interactive quiz, celebrity appearances, and even a unique opportunity to feel the thrill of hurtling across the ocean at 40 knots!

.......tell us if that feels any different than being a mouse in a paintcan with the agitator turned on high!  :mellow:

..........do they make you put 4week dirty,,pissed-in clothes on first!??  :o 

#80 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

any Links to Live feed leg 1 start???

#81 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,089 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

Dee Caffari just posted on her FB page that she is not taking part on Leg 1. A pity. I really wonder about the team dynamics inside SCA, especially with the already mentioned "consensus" approach on board, which sounds like madness. Interesting that the high caliber coaches they got (Torben Grael has joined Signorini and Mason) agreed to this. 

Seems strange, any more to this?

Potter??

#82 Alinghi4ever

Alinghi4ever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

VOR Website finally put their Race Tracker up  :D You can choose between a 2D Tracker and a 3D Virtual Race Viewer. Man, spectacular this is.

#83 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:01 AM

Do you have a link to this post, as I can't find it on Dee's facebook page

#84 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,956 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:46 AM

.....WHOOO HOOOOO......ONE MORE SLEEP! :)

#85 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,394 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:02 AM

VOR Website finally put their Race Tracker up  :D You can choose between a 2D Tracker and a 3D Virtual Race Viewer. Man, spectacular this is.

Could you please post the direct link, the website is ridiculoulsly untidy and illogically structured.

#86 JeronimoII

JeronimoII

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:24 AM

Do you have a link to this post, as I can't find it on Dee's facebook page

here you go. It was a FB post with a link to her official website: 

http://www.deecaffar...p?a=A-decade-on

and here the text of the post: 

Sat, 04 Oct 2014 16:45:36 +0000

Today is the start of a new adventure.

Ten years ago I was heading out on my first circumnavigation and I was nervous and felt physically sick. I was tasked with a 72 foot boat and 16 enthusiastic sailors about to race against the prevailing winds and currents around the world. I joined eleven other skippers on this adventure and we had some amazing experiences. There were good times and bad, we laughed and we cried but we made it around the world.

Now I am about to head off again for my fifth trip around the world. I join a squad of inspirational women in Team SCA and we are taking part in the Volvo Ocean Race. Once more I will get the chance to share the good times and the bad, we will laugh and see tears of joy and we will make it around together.

Ten years ago on the Global Challenge Race, I experienced my greatest disappointment. As a team, we raced 7000 miles across the Southern Ocean and led the fleet through storm force winds and mountainous seas. Our destination was Cape Town and within sight of the finish line, light winds gave our competition the chance and in the final 30 miles we saw victory snatched away.

The disappointment I face a decade on is not being on the boat on start day. I will not sail Leg One but I will welcome my team into Cape Town and be proud of them. This is the start of the Volvo Ocean Race and we have a long road ahead of us.

#87 fitzee

fitzee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:01 AM

ok..I'll bite. Where is the frickin tracker link?? The VOR site seems to have everything but. I don't care what they packed but I do need the tracker. HELP!

#88 staysail

staysail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:35 AM

Yes please ... anyone, post a direct link to a 2D tracker?

I guess I will be watching the start on Vesselfinder and Live Ships!

#89 JeronimoII

JeronimoII

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

ok..I'll bite. Where is the frickin tracker link?? The VOR site seems to have everything but. I don't care what they packed but I do need the tracker. HELP!

http://www.volvoocea.../dashboard.html

#90 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

Is the start being streamed live on YouTube like the in-port race?

#91 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,761 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

yes.

#92 Donjoman

Donjoman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

Walker has to win this leg... as long as the boat doesnt fall apart again!

Oh carp he is in a Farr design again...

#93 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Al !!!

#94 corkob

corkob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:Monohull Offshore racing

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

I thought live coverage was to start at 11.50GMT ?

#95 Spiky

Spiky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

You can't see the live coverage in Germany! They mention problems with rights. I have to use a VPN to another country.

No love for Volvo here!

#96 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

Walker has to win this leg... as long as the boat doesnt fall apart again!

Oh carp he is in a Farr design again...

Old wisdom, The boat that wins leg 1 has 60 percent of winning the race.

25 minutes to go for the start and still no life images on the VOR site,

#97 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

yes.

NO nota nothing yet

#98 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,394 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

http://www.volvoocea.../dashboard.html

Fantastic, thanks a looot!

And for all in Germany, try Expat Shield (should be independent from your browser) or Hola (for FF or Chrome).

#99 IBro

IBro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

yes.

Thanks. It is easier to get the link here on SA then on the official site. :). Yes they have now link Live in the upper left corner, but an hour ago I didn't see any indication that there will be live broadcast.

I wonder if the official  site will provide any day to day articels with expert commentary?

#100 Roussel

Roussel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:46 AM

F1 qualifying and then the start, Magic!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VOR, Volvo Ocean Race

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users