51 replies to this topic

#1 JeronimoII

JeronimoII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:scotw, vor, ac, exss

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

Now that the fleet is complete, I suggest to start a new thread for the actual race legs. The entrants one is 22 pages long...

Let's start with a prediction about the final standings in Gothenburg next summer (and in Cape Town):

1. Azzam (this is Ian's race to loose, I reckon. Star-line-up well funded)

2. Brunel (Bouwe has unfinished business with the race. Could well end first, but he has got some youngsters on board that could be a liability)

3. Campos (great sailors on board, but coming late and with the skipper expected to miss some legs. Too many handicaps to be able to win?)

4. Vestas (same as Campos, but actually with a full dedicated skipper. Could end up mixing my prediction. Crew unknown yet)

5. Dongfeng (the frenchies are extremely strong, but are short of crew with the unexperienced chinese...)

6. Alvimedica (first time youngsters...likely to struggle while learning)

7. SCA (somehow a surprise to see them fall back so fast in the RBI and the Canaries regatta...)

#2 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

i tend to agree with your form guide, however, I think differences between the top 4 will be very small.

I also think that any of the 7 can win a leg, and like any OD regatta, taking the overall win will be about consistency.

#3 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

I think you've got it mostly right, but I'd put Brunel or Campos ahead of Azzam- Walker has never seemed to be quite the Sailor Bekking or Martinez are, and both them of them have unfinished business with the race.

But I think any one of the four- Brunel, Azzam, Campos or Vestas could have it

#4 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

I would put Azzam at the top, with the crew they have. Bekking is the weak point in Brunel I think, though difficult to discount Capey.

Agree with the top 4. This could be a really tight race!!

#5 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

I would put Azzam at the top, with the crew they have. Bekking is the weak point in Brunel I think, though difficult to discount Capey.

Agree with the top 4. This could be a really tight race!!

Really?  agree about Capey though.

#6 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

Now that the fleet is complete, I suggest to start a new thread for the actual race legs. The entrants one is 22 pages long...

....fyi...yer can click on 'last post',,,and save paging-through each time  :mellow:  :rolleyes:

#7 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

Agree with your top 4 for the first leg although I think Vestas could be very fast fresh out of the box

#8 Francis Vaughan

Francis Vaughan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

I think the last two races where we have seen the VO65's actually go head to head, has outlined  just how critical the navigator is going to be.  One mistake and you are out the back door; then as usual, the rich get richer as the race progresses.  The first leg will also reward the crew's offshore experience but that advantage will diminish.  I don't think we have a full list of navigators yet, but once we do, my betting will be firmly based upon that list, with all the other factors a clear second.

#9 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Cannot be left blank

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

I think the last two races where we have seen the VO65's actually go head to head, has outlined  just how critical the navigator is going to be.  One mistake and you are out the back door; then as usual, the rich get richer as the race progresses.  The first leg will also reward the crew's offshore experience but that advantage will diminish.  I don't think we have a full list of navigators yet, but once we do, my betting will be firmly based upon that list, with all the other factors a clear second.

SCA - Libby Greenhalgh

Abu Dhabi - Simon Fisher

Dongfeng - Pascal Bidégorry

Brunel - Andrew Cape

Alvimedica - Will Oxley

Campos - Nicolas Lunven

Vestas - Tom Addis

#10 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Wasn't Libby part of the Origin PR team? Quite a step-up to go to RTW navigator!

#11 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

Wasn't Libby part of the Origin PR team? Quite a step-up to go to RTW navigator!

Probably more relevant is her experience as a weather router.

#12 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,046 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Quite a meteorology cv.

http://www.rya.org.u...greenhalgh.aspx

http://www.weatherwhiz.co.uk/cv.htm

Qualifications:

• Met Office IFC and FCC courses (2004)
  • Masters in Applied Meteorology (University of Reading, 2002)
  • Bachelors Degree in Geophysical Sciences (University of Southampton, 2001)
Experience:

2007 to date:

Skandia Team GBR British Sailing Team Meteorologist- including Beijing Olympics 2008, check out the team here

2010:

Virgin Active Kite surf across the channel. Read more about it here

2010:

Tour Voile for Sail Oman

2010:

JP Morgan Asset Managemnet Round the Island Race - weather briefing brought to you with Raymarine. Check out the videos here

2009:

BeNumber1 Land End to John O’Groats - charity ride supporting professional atheltes of different sports

2007:

Nurberging 24 hour race 

2007-2010:

Commodore’s Cup, Fastnet, RORC offshore racing series, Cowes week

2004-2007:

Met Office Weather forecaster

• Training undertaken at RAF Odiham
  • Posted to MOD Aberporth and Outer Hebridies

#13 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Probably more relevant is her experience as a weather router.

No offense intended- didn't know she had done all that. I sit corrected.

#14 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Didn't think you were meaning any offence.

I know that for the coaching team finding the right experience has been really difficult. Both Sam and Dee were trialled as Navigators, but it was decided that their experience was needed on deck more. SO I think it is now a joint role with Libby and Sam.  Libby brings a wealth of different experience to the team especially on the weather front, but there is no female navigator who has the experience that those other names have (except perhaps Adrienne Cahallan, but she did not apply).

It has been made very clear by Brad Jackson that finding the relevant experience has been really difficult. The ability is there (whatever thetruth might say), but the experience is the thing that is lacking. Women just do not get the same chances to build experience outside of the VOR. After all, if you run a mini maxi, 52, MOD70, big Swan, or even a superyacht you are probably going to pick a sailor with experience and muscles...and that means picking a bloke in general.  Plus, of course, most people get their mates on board.

#15 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Forward of the mast.
    Moore 5oh

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

I guess the earlier talk about maybe sacrificing navigational prowess for faster drivers was false. All the boats have big name navigators on them.

#16 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

SCA - Libby Greenhalgh

Abu Dhabi - Simon Fisher

Brunel - Andrew Cape

Alvimedica - Will Oxley

Campos - Nicolas Lunven

Vestas - Tom Addis

There's some big names there, be very difficult to make a call on who is at the top of the game from that list.

#17 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

I'm guessing a real battle between Vestas and Azzam - followed closely by Brunel and Campos. The others will be nipping at the heels.

But I am truly interested in watching SCA's progress. It's going to be a very interesting study in what the VOR really takes - and why.

#18 GnarlyItWas

GnarlyItWas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

They do seem to be big name navigators, but it seems there is a lean towards navigators with shorthanded experience. I think Andrew Cape did the BWR and the figaro / shorthanded guys on Campos and Dongfeng. Seems to me to be that navigators will be needed on deck more than last time.

#19 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

SCA - Libby Greenhalgh

Abu Dhabi - Simon Fisher

Brunel - Andrew Cape

Alvimedica - Will Oxley

Campos - Nicolas Lunven

Vestas - Tom Addis

There's some big names there, be very difficult to make a call on who is at the top of the game from that list.

+1

#20 Krashwerks

Krashwerks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:09 AM

My bias aside; I vote for the team with the only sailor to win, not one, but two, round the world races. I do not believe that Martinez stepping off for 2-3 legs will adversely impact their performance.

Each team has experienced an unique and unexpected issue aboard its vessel which will undoubtedly impact overall performance. The ability to solve problems quickly and recover time will win the race.

#21 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

..........Each team has experienced an unique and unexpected issue aboard its vessel which will undoubtedly impact overall performance. ....

...it'd be interesting to hear more on this...^^.....

#22 nixon

nixon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

They do seem to be big name navigators, but it seems there is a lean towards navigators with shorthanded experience. I think Andrew Cape did the BWR and the figaro / shorthanded guys on Campos and Dongfeng. Seems to me to be that navigators will be needed on deck more than last time.

Nicolas Lunven is a Figaro sailor - has won a bit of silver ware there including a win. Perhaps a potential Vendee sailor next go around.

Looked up Pascal - he has some solid Figaro results too, and was crew on BP5 when they set the Atlantic record and 24 hour record (with a day's run of 908.2 nautical miles (1,682.0 km) at an average speed of 37.84 knots (70.08 km/h) - faaaark).

That certainly is a pretty impressive bunch of navigators.

#23 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I think the last two races where we have seen the VO65's actually go head to head, has outlined  just how critical the navigator is going to be. 

One mistake and you are out the back door; then as usual, the rich get richer as the race progresses.  The first leg will also reward the crew's offshore experience but that advantage will diminish.  I don't think we have a full list of navigators yet, but once we do, my betting will be firmly based upon that list, with all the other factors a clear second.

...yes,,given that the boats are OD and they hold together......sooo much is on the navigator--to a point.

....lets not forget it's yacht racing,,,a fickle sport,always with surprises--how many times does a boat get ahead only to get becalmed and the fleet sails around!?.............shit happens on all scales  :mellow:

#24 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards Campos for the win.

In both Martinez and Desoyjeaux they've great skippers and a not too shabby team/ budget to boot.

The lack of preparation time in relation to the other boats might hurt for the first leg or two, but it'll even out from there on in.

#25 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

..yeh,,the early entries made the race look interesting in a 'B-fleet'** sort of way,then Martinez,,Nicholson,,and Bekking come in later with some Afleet action....I hope the extra effort that Alvi and SCA have put in keeps it all close.,but of course it's an ocean race--there WILL be wildcards 

....I hav'ta say I personally see little reason to pick teams...I guess I'm drawn to the overall spectacle,,not too long now!

........**....a joke  :)

#26 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Forward of the mast.
    Moore 5oh

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

Nicolas Lunven is a Figaro sailor - has won a bit of silver ware there including a win. Perhaps a potential Vendee sailor next go around.

Looked up Pascal - he has some solid Figaro results(1st) too, and was crew(Skipper) on BP5 when they set the Atlantic record and 24 hour record (with a day's run of 908.2 nautical miles (1,682.0 km) at an average speed of 37.84 knots (70.08 km/h) - faaaark).

That certainly is a pretty impressive bunch of navigators.

#27 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Pascal Bidegorry was an ORMA skipper who won the Figaro and was skipper of BP5 for a while- until they weren't so happy with him being so cautious and waiting for a perfect weather window that never arrived.

That cautiousness could well stand to him in the Volvo when holding the boat together could be the name of the game.

Hopefully they're much stronger and reliable this time round though

#28 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Pascal Bidegorry was an ORMA skipper who won the Figaro and was skipper of BP5 for a while- until they weren't so happy with him being so cautious and waiting for a perfect weather window that never arrived.

That cautiousness could well stand to him in the Volvo when holding the boat together could be the name of the game.

Hopefully they're much stronger and reliable this time round though

.....indications from the roundBritain race seem positive,,,though I'm still wondering what mrKrash was referring to??

My bias aside; I vote for the team with the only sailor to win, not one, but two, round the world races. I do not believe that Martinez stepping off for 2-3 legs will adversely impact their performance.

Each team has experienced an unique and unexpected issue aboard its vessel which will undoubtedly impact overall performance. The ability to solve problems quickly and recover time will win the race.

#29 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

SCA - Libby Greenhalgh

Abu Dhabi - Simon Fisher

Brunel - Andrew Cape

Alvimedica - Will Oxley

Campos - Nicolas Lunven

Vestas - Tom Addis

Do not know Tom or Libby but you can be sure that the others on the list have helming skills (and general crew work skills) as high as all the others on their respective teams.  

#30 whispers

whispers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:43 AM

Tom has the skills as well Libby ?

#31 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

Is Libby related to rob and Pete greenhalgh the talented brothers who have won numerous events including the volvo (Rob)

#32 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:18 AM

Is Libby related to rob and Pete greenhalgh the talented brothers who have won numerous events including the volvo (Rob)

Younger sister

#33 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Is Tom addis confirmed as navigator for Vestas? Nothing on their website.

Any other crew news on Vestas?

#34 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:23 AM

Is Tom addis confirmed as navigator for Vestas? Nothing on their website.

Any other crew news on Vestas?

Not confirmed.

Anyone recognise the faces in the pictures?

https://twitter.com/...1538690/photo/1

#35 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

I would guess they might be some of the shore crew

#36 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:59 AM

I would guess they might be some of the shore crew

It's Nico above the "T" right?

#37 explenture

explenture

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

How are they working the sails?  Obviously some teams have many more thousands of miles than do the newer teams.  Do they all get a new suit for the start?

#38 Francis Vaughan

Francis Vaughan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

How are they working the sails?  Obviously some teams have many more thousands of miles than do the newer teams.  Do they all get a new suit for the start?

Yes.

#39 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:54 PM

..http://forums.sailin...23#entry4658681 ...post 2222

#40 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Brunel

Campos

Abu Dhabi

Dongfeng

Vestas

Alvimedica

SCA

#41 corkob

corkob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Monohull Offshore racing

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

Brunel
Campos
Abu Dhabi
Dongfeng
Vestas
Alvimedica
SCA

What odds???

#42 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

Brunel
Campos
Abu Dhabi
Dongfeng
Vestas
Alvimedica
SCA

Leg one or the race?

#43 whispers

whispers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Abu Dhabi
Campos
Vestas
Sca
Dongfeng
Alvimedica

Leg one

#44 whispers

whispers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

Vestas
Campos
Abu dabi
Sca
Alva med
Dondfeng
For the race

#45 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:16 PM

Leg one

Campos

Abu Dhabi 

Vestas

Sca
Dongfeng
Alvimedica

Race

Abu Dhabi 

Vestas

Campos
Sca
Dongfeng
Alvimedica

I'd like to see Vestas do even better but it'll come down to how they go in the first couple of legs while learning the boat.  If they're in the top three in both of the first two legs then I'd say they've got a shot at the win. 

#46 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:19 AM

What odds???

.....what. ever.

#47 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:01 AM

Leg one

Campos

Abu Dhabi 

Vestas

Sca
Dongfeng
Alvimedica

Race

Abu Dhabi 

Vestas

Campos
Sca
Dongfeng
Alvimedica

I'd like to see Vestas do even better but it'll come down to how they go in the first couple of legs while learning the boat.  If they're in the top three in both of the first two legs then I'd say they've got a shot at the win. 

So you don't see Brunel featuring in the results?

#48 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:12 AM

I was working with a cut and paste from whisper and didn't notice it missing.

First in leg one and first or second overall.

#49 Robin Wasa 55

Robin Wasa 55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

Not really Leg 1, but I have a question about the Inport Race in Alicante, does anyone know what time it will start? I know it´s the 4th of October, and I´m guessing the race would start like 14:00 or so, but I havent been able to find a time on the Volvo site.

I want to book my flight from Alicante to London, and I would prefer to leave in the evening the 4th, so would be good to know if its possible to see the Inport race and be able to catch a flight at 20-21 some time without to much stress :P I´ll have the whole friday in the Race Village anyway, and I have other stuff to do in London on sunday, so flying out on saturday evening would be best, and also cheapest :)

#50 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

Not really Leg 1, but I have a question about the Inport Race in Alicante, does anyone know what time it will start? I know it´s the 4th of October, and I´m guessing the race would start like 14:00 or so, but I havent been able to find a time on the Volvo site.

I want to book my flight from Alicante to London, and I would prefer to leave in the evening the 4th, so would be good to know if its possible to see the Inport race and be able to catch a flight at 20-21 some time without to much stress :P I´ll have the whole friday in the Race Village anyway, and I have other stuff to do in London on sunday, so flying out on saturday evening would be best, and also cheapest :)

.....I have no idea of details--nothing new there,,,,but why not book a mid-eve flight ,20-21 as you say,,,,then you can have a nice dinner in Ali before hitting the airport.,or grab some fastfood if things run long?

.....white people problems :mellow:  <_<

Attached File  white people problems.jpg   6.56K   4 downloadsAttached File  white people problems2.jpg   8.99K   4 downloads

#51 Robin Wasa 55

Robin Wasa 55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:45 AM

Okey, thanks anyway! Yeah, it is kind of a white people problem, I agree, still a "problem" though :P

I just thougt that since people here knows everything about everything, some one could have know this ;)

But yeah, doesnt seem likely that I wouldnt be able to catch a 20:40 flight from ALC, doesnt seem to be very far from the VOR Village to the airport.

#52 whispers

whispers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

I was working with a cut and paste from whisper and didn't notice it missing.

First in leg one and first or second overall.

sorry was drunk posting what's the odds on brunel finding a charted mountain or breaking apart

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VOR, Volvo Ocean Race

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users