36 replies to this topic

#1 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Anybody enter La Push on a strong S SE? Prepared to turn the corner at Tatoosh if need be. Heard some scary stories. Like to check it out.

#2 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:43 PM

Can I come and watch?

#3 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

Come on out. Probably approach close to dark.

#4 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,359 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

Film at 11.

#5 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:53 AM

I, myself, personally would not be in a hurry to enter ANY harbours between Flattery and SF Bay.

#6 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

USCG has a station there.  You might call the duty office and pose the question.  SSE doesn't look very promising.  

#7 slip knot

slip knot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Anybody enter La Push on a strong S SE? Prepared to turn the corner at Tatoosh if need be. Heard some scary stories. Like to check it out.

What kind of boat?

#8 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Someone got wordy on ActiveCaptain....

The river channel is protected by a jetty on the SE side and a dike on the NW side; a lighted whistle buoy is about 1.8 miles SW from the outer end of the jetty. About 250 feet of the outer end of the jetty is awash at high water.The river channel leads from the sea to a small-craft basin at La Push. The entrance channel is marked by a directional light. The channel to the basin is marked by a light and seasonal buoys. Buoys are not charted because they are frequently shifted in position; local knowledge is advised. In June 2005, depths of 5 to 8 feet were available in the basin (except for lesser depths along the W jetty and in the NW corner.) The N and S sides of the entrance to  the basin are marked by lights. A power cable with a clearance of about 100 feet crosses the river near its mouth.The channel, which passes close to the SE shore of James Island, is sometimes dangerous, especially in heavy S weather. Weather conditions which make the entrance hazardous normally occur only in the winters, usually in December and January. When there are breakers of any size making across the entrance, it should not be attempted except at better than half tide and with a well-powered boat. Strangers may request assistance from the Quillayute River Coast Guard Station at La Push by radio or signals; a Coast Guard boat will lead the vessel in if practicable. The tank at the Coast Guard station is prominent.In late summer and fall mariners are advised to use caution when transiting the channel because fish nets may be present.The Coast Guard has established Quillayute River Regulated Boating Area Warning Sign, a rough bar advisory sign, 34 feet above the water, visible from the channel looking seaward, on the NW corner of the old Coast Guard boathouse, to promote safety for small-boat operators. The sign is diamond shaped, painted white with an international orange border, and with the words ''Rough Bar'' in black letters. The sign is equipped with two alternating flashing amber lights. The lights will be activated when seas exceed 4 feet in height and are considered hazardous for small boats. Boatmen are cautioned, however, that if the lights are not flashing, it is no guarantee that sea conditions are favorable.

#9 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

I, myself, personally would not be in a hurry to enter ANY harbours between Flattery and SF Bay.

Oh puleeze.  Of course some will close on really bad days but most ocean going vessel harbors have no issues and are maintained (dredged).  I've used everyone of the following and felt just fine doing so.  yeah some are dicey er, but heck saying "ANY" is a bit much.

Grays Harbor, Columbia River, Newport, Coos Bay, Eureka.

And I would never even think about La Push in anything but a small twin engine fishing boat.

#10 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

The Columbia River bar - the BIG entrance on that coast.

Attached File  Columbia River.jpg   139.98K   32 downloads

'Nuff said?

It's called the Graveyard of the Pacific for good reason.

#11 toddster

toddster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

attachicon.gifColumbia River.jpg

'Nuff said?

Hmm, and I thought it was because there are so many day-trippers out there fishing every weekend that a freighter can hardly cross without mowing a few of them down.

B10-3.jpg

Last time I crossed, there was a freighter laying on his horn the whole way, the CG was on the radio telling people to get out of the way, and as far as I could see, they all just ignored it.  

I've never been to LaPush though.  The photos look absurd.  

#12 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

attachicon.gifColumbia River.jpg

'Nuff said?

And I always thought the term "Graveyard of the Pacific" meant the entire coast of the PNW.
http://en.wikipedia...._of_the_Pacific

#13 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

USCG has a station there.  You might call the duty office and pose the question.  SSE doesn't look very promising.  

Be careful with info from the USCG about bar conditions.

I was exiting the Columbia River mouth once bring a 46' powerboat from Portland to Seattle for a friend and I called the USCG station as we neared the mouth and asked about bar conditions. They reported back "Moderate".

If that was moderate I sure as hell don't want to see anything worse than moderate!!

I think it was ROUGH!! not moderate. Interesting trip!

#14 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

Great White - It does - the Washington/Oregon coast is the prime territory though. Nearly all of the Washington coast I've seen shelves way, way out - the breakers start almost on the horizon. Up here the shore generally rises up very steeply.

However you slice it, it's a dangerous place in open water - I'm very content to stay within the Salish Sea..

#15 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

Great White - It does - the Washington/Oregon coast is the prime territory though. Nearly all of the Washington coast I've seen shelves way, way out - the breakers start almost on the horizon. Up here the shore generally rises up very steeply.

However you slice it, it's a dangerous place in open water - I'm very content to stay within the Salish Sea..

I have been off the Washington/Oregon coast a couple times now in either direction. Every time we went WAY out and stayed out at least 25 miles. Usually 50-100 miles. Sometimes nicer out there and lots of sea room.

I am with Sloop; quite happy to now stick in the Salish Sea.

#16 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

The very experienced co-worker that got me interested in sailing 40 years ago said the Columbia affected the sea state up to 100 miles offshore. Having seen the pics of the bar I have no reason to doubt it.

As an aside, one of my daughters girlfriends took her boyfriend for a weekend at Cape Disappointment - to dump him.  :D 

#17 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

I have been off the Washington/Oregon coast a couple times now in either direction. Every time we went WAY out and stayed out at least 25 miles. Usually 50-100 miles. Sometimes nicer out there and lots of sea room.

I am with Sloop; quite happy to now stick in the Salish Sea.

I have only travelled down the coast and over the Columbia River Bar once. Had some exciting times when I commercial fished out of Westport. The Grays Harbor Bar provided some interesting days! At least, we could pick the days when it was too nasty.

I could not imagine entering La Push if the weather is the least bit unsettled. A grandson of some family friends was the lone survivor of the Coast Guard boat that was lost there responding to a distress call.

To me the real Graveyard of the Pacific is the southern shore of Vancouver Island between Cape Beal and Port San Juan. I have sailed around Vancouver Island several times and that area always intrigued me with it's rock shelf that extends out from the shore. For the old sailing ships, it was the ultimate lee shore. Lots of ships have been lost there due to storms and fog. And if they did go ashore, their troubles were just starting as they were in a wilderness with no help. This prompted the construction of trail system along the shore.

#18 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:13 AM

Love it. If you can't coastal cruise the WA coast in August, when can you? Good times.

#19 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Found this tidbit about the Columbia.

Since 1792, approximately 2,000 large ships have sunk in and around the Columbia Bar, and because of the danger and the numerous shipwrecks the mouth of the Columbia River acquired a reputation worldwide as the Graveyard of the Pacific.[6]

#20 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:04 AM

Love it. If you can't coastal cruise the WA coast in August, when can you? Good times.

I guess I never think of the Washington coast as a cruising destination. More of a place to pass on the way to somewhere else like Portland or farther south. People cross the Columbia Bar and Grays Harbor bar regularly, not so much into Willapa Harbor or La Push. The entrance into La Push looks very narrow from the beach and I would be concerned about the depth. Once there, I don't know what a person would be looking for. There is not a lot in town except a newer hotel and campgrounds.

#21 Ivar Forkbeard

Ivar Forkbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

How did it go?

#22 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

It was great. The reason it is dangerous is the same reason it is worth doing. It was really a boat delivery from Portland under the guise of a Coastal Cruise. Astoria to Westport is bunk, but La Push north is cool. All the rocks and small islands leading into and out of Ozette Island are really worth checking out. Umatilla Reef has some crazy jagged rocks just East. Coming into Flattery and up to and in between Tatoosh Island is pretty wild. It was a good run. Google: Destruction Island, Ozette Island, Umatilla Reef, La Push, Cape Flattery, Tatoosh Island. There should be some great images to check out.

Safely home at Fort Scrote, made it through the graveyard and would turn around and do it again. Be careful, where there seems to be nothing but foam, a deep roller will cruise through and expose the foam maker. Good ride.

#23 Ivar Forkbeard

Ivar Forkbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

I am familiar with the area, it's beautiful out there. been toying with the idea of buying some oceanfront recreational property that direction. It can be affordable if you don't mind being out in the sticks.

#24 slip knot

slip knot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

It was great. The reason it is dangerous is the same reason it is worth doing. It was really a boat delivery from Portland under the guise of a Coastal Cruise. Astoria to Westport is bunk, but La Push north is cool. All the rocks and small islands leading into and out of Ozette Island are really worth checking out. Umatilla Reef has some crazy jagged rocks just East. Coming into Flattery and up to and in between Tatoosh Island is pretty wild. It was a good run. Google: Destruction Island, Ozette Island, Umatilla Reef, La Push, Cape Flattery, Tatoosh Island. There should be some great images to check out.

Safely home at Fort Scrote, made it through the graveyard and would turn around and do it again. Be careful, where there seems to be nothing but foam, a deep roller will cruise through and expose the foam maker. Good ride.

Vids, or it didn't happen.....

#25 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

I am familiar with the area, it's beautiful out there. been toying with the idea of buying some oceanfront recreational property that direction. It can be affordable if you don't mind being out in the sticks.

Mr. Beard, after entering the Straits and passing Neah Bay, there was some stunning multi-million dollar homes (mansions?) on the West side of Fresh Water Bay. I forgot about wanting to Google them until I read your post. Some were on shear rock cliffs, amazing looking but pure fantasy for regular folk. I'm sure there has to be some reasonably priced property out on the actual WA Coast.

Was going to spend the night in Gig Harbor, but after leaving Port Townsend in the fog and running in it for a few hours, I just couldn't get myself to stop once reaching that excellent weather. Cheers.

#26 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Vids, or it didn't happen.....

Yeah, that's my big story I'm going to come up with. You obviously haven't heard one of my stories.

#27 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

Good luck. The entire coast from Cape Flattery to Moclips is National Park or Indian Reservation. There might be available property between Moclips and Ocean Shores, but that is hardly what would be considered "in the sticks", it is pretty developed. It may be possible that the Quinault tribe might sell you some property, but that part of the coast is lower bank sand beaches, not like the rocky north coast.

#28 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Good luck. The entire coast from Cape Flattery to Moclips is National Park or Indian Reservation. There might be available property between Moclips and Ocean Shores, but that is hardly what would be considered "in the sticks", it is pretty developed. It may be possible that the Quinault tribe might sell you some property, but that part of the coast is lower bank sand beaches, not like the rocky north coast.

Would tend to agree with Mr. White, unless you have connections, the regular old affordable homes/property were all on straight, flat beach. But if you are serious, you might hunt something down.

#29 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Those beaches are some of the best potential tsunami areas in the word - there are warning signs everywhere. I was really surprised it didn't get hit after the Japan quake.

#30 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

Those beaches are some of the best potential tsunami areas in the word - there are warning signs everywhere. I was really surprised it didn't get hit after the Japan quake.

Change your account name to Debbie Downer. I bet you would consider a mud puddle life threatening.

#31 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

If you don't consider the Washington coast a dangerous place you should change your name to Rimas or something similarly foolhardy.

#32 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

If you don't consider the Washington coast a dangerous place you should change your name to Rimas or something similarly foolhardy.

I was prepared to stay offshore and enter the Straits North of Tatoosh between Duncan Rock. You were calling for Cape Flattery. Between Tatoosh Island and Cape Flattery might look wide on your table setting chart, but I can tell you it's much different when you are actually there. A night approach, as you were calling for, is very fool hardy.

I can guarantee all navigation, boat handling and comm checks were by the book. With the cargo I had on board there was no other option, if I survived and they didn't, I was looking at a swift castration. I have complete respect for all waterways.

Who the Fack is Rimas?

#33 Ivar Forkbeard

Ivar Forkbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

It is hard to find, but possible. Here is a zillow link to 5 acres of high bank ocean front with old growth cedar for $60k. http://www.zillow.co...108452355_zpid/

Right now I am looking at an acre and a half for under 20K that is high bank but easy beach access. It is on the rez but is fee simple land, not a 100 year lease. There is very little of the stuff for sale anywhere anymore, and it has got me wanting some!  This all has to be off the grid, but that should be no problem for a sailor, we are used to producing/conserving our own electricity.

Scrotal: GH is a great place to stop. There is a free public dock, and some good places to eat and drink on the waterfront. Summer weekends can get packed, but there is always space during the week and in the off season.

#34 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

Wow Ivar, that is a beautiful parcel of waterfront. If you are in a position to grab that or something like it I would. I'm not sure how land on a reservation is sold, it looks straight forward in your link. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Way back when, in my younger days, Gig Harbor and The Tides were considered one. Would be a great place to spend the evening on the hook now.

#35 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:42 PM

I was prepared to stay offshore and enter the Straits North of Tatoosh between Duncan Rock. You were calling for Cape Flattery. Between Tatoosh Island and Cape Flattery might look wide on your table setting chart, but I can tell you it's much different when you are actually there. A night approach, as you were calling for, is very fool hardy.

I can guarantee all navigation, boat handling and comm checks were by the book. With the cargo I had on board there was no other option, if I survived and they didn't, I was looking at a swift castration. I have complete respect for all waterways.

Who the Fack is Rimas?

I think you have me confused with someone else - a night approach? I wouldn't be anxious to do a bright sunlight approach - of course I'm a pussy that's afraid of puddles.

Rimas is the Russian whack job "sailing around the world on a San Juan 24".

#36 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:52 AM

Scrotal

La Push's claim to fame recently is related to the Twilight Series, which has fortunately has died a quiet death.  Don't go to Forks, I repeat, don't go to Forks.

Tim Egan wrote a book about history in WA State (The Good Rain), and talked about Forks.  His comment about Forks was:  "Comparing Forks to the Olympic Peninsula is like comparing Venus to Butt Rash".  My son met him at a local fund-raiser, and all he can remember of him is him looking at his wife's breasts, although his books are great.

We stopped in Forks with my cousin from Finland, and a sign in a gas station rest room said:  "Cleaning of Game Prohibited"

All that being said, the hike North from La Push to Lake Ozette is magnificent.

#37 Scrotal Canoe

Scrotal Canoe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:27 AM

Front, I'm safely tucked away in Fort Scrote. Thanks for the Vampire warning though, should have walked around La Push with a wooden through-hole plug and a mallet. Forks is inland so I was safe from the gun toters.

The hike sounds nice, but I did the La Push Ozette Island boat ride. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users