• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

While working on my historical project here in Hong Kong I came across an ad from Jan '89 for the 

"Flook Flying Anchor"

Has nothing to do with my project just found it 'interesting' not sure I would want to dry one. Seems a bit light to me.

Maybe I can combine it with my inflatable anchor idea. hmmmmm.....

#2 mowgli

mowgli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

I think at can be a very good second anchor to throw it out of the back to stay on one place and don't swing around because of changing currents. Is this anchor still produced and available outside Australia?

#3 QBF

QBF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:My Dog, writing my dog's blog, and sailing.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

These anchor's are still being made, although the largest size is 22 pounds.

Dulhunty Anchors Main Page

http://www.dulhunty.com/dm1.htm

How it Works

http://www.dulhunty.com/flook2.htm

#4 Training Wheels

Training Wheels

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, sailing, rum, sailing, sailing, rum, and sailing.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Cool way to set a stern anchor. Anybody out there ever use one?

#5 waeshael

waeshael

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Ocean Voyaging.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

I watched the video. Obviously this lightweight anchor is meant for runabouts and dinghies, as shown, where lightweight is an advantage. 

In case someone is wondering whether it would be suitable for anchoring a larger boat, here are some notes on anchoring.

I have anchored my 10,000 lb sailboat many years in many places with a variety of anchors. I also understand the dynamics of anchoring, and the qualities of sand. I have tested the way the CQR anchor provides its holding power. This is what I know:

The holding power of a burying type anchor is the same as the pull you apply to the rode when you try and bed it in. If you hand pull the anchor, as is shown in the video, then you will not get a holding strength more than you can pull with your body, say a 100 lbs. In the video a truck is needed to develop a pull of 3000 Newtons or 670 lbs, even here you see the anchor dragging. This level of pull power is not possible on a small sailboat - the best you can hope for is to bury one fluke of a 25 lb CQR using the engine. 

Burying anchors are designed to dig deeper as the pull on the rode increases, as it would in a storm. They dig down into the sand (not mud which requires a different anchor design,) until the weight of the sand above the flukes is more than the vertical forces on the anchor which are trying to lift the sand. Sand is a plastic solid and each grain of sand pushes on other grains, so that billions of grains move when there is a disturbance in only a small area, like that of a fluke of an anchor.

In a gale a fluke might bury down only one foot, and in a storm both flukes would be pulled under the sand perhaps two feet, with the shank just at the surface.

I measured 600 lb pull needed (in a beach test) to achieve this depth of burial .  The most pull I measured was during a hurricane in Bermuda where the wind speeds at my location were recorded as 58Kts ( at 200 feet,) but I only measured 38 kts at deck level, 4 feet above the waves (wind speed is officially quoted at a standardized height of 10M -33 feet) Wind speed reduces when the measurement is made closer to the sea. At sea level a small bird can rest in a gale.

I measured the pull on the rode with a spring balance. It was less than 300 lbs. At this level of pull, I suspected that only one fluke was buried and holding the boat (though I had three anchors down, there was little load on the leeward anchors.)

A 35 lb CQR anchor has a holding power in sand of more than a thousand pounds, if it is fully buried.

There is not much benefit from the gliding motion of this anchor if you can't see where it lands because of murky water, or it sails too far away.  When anchoring it is very important to see that the anchor buries in sand and not coral or growth, so it is best to hover over the anchor location until you see what it is made of, then drop the anchor onto that spot, and then drive away with a 10:1 rode ratio, and then pull to bury it. 

#6 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Flookin' cool!

#7 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

That video is Classic !

Wonder what ever became of the Bel Lexcen-designed Eureka yacht, with its rather unique-looking house...but I wonder how it went...

Love the patriotic flavor at the end, too.  Gotta hand it to the innovative spirit of the day, too. ( Wing keels ?  Sure- why not the anchor too? )

I had not seen that before.  The ability to 'fly' the anchor away from your position could have some use - but I'd guess that the slick webbing rode is a big help in getting the best range out of it,  so you'd want one of those too.  I could see it having applications as well.  I mean,  if it got you off a lee shore just once it'd be worth it.

Now moving parts in the ground tackle has its concerns for long-station use, of course.  

#8 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

Cool way to set a stern anchor. Anybody out there ever use one?

I have used one for years as a stern anchor, just a lunch anchor but it works fine.

It is similar to a Danforth, main issue is it can collapse if there is a change in the wind and just drag on the surface, so we have to leave someone on the boat.

Apparently developed from seaplane anchors.

It is particularly useful as a kedge, as it "flies" quite a way from the boat so you don't have to row it out.

They have been around at fire sale prices in Oz for a long time, mostly on ebay.

I just use cheap 1/2" poly rope.

#9 whinging pom

whinging pom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

I bought one at a boat jumble.  Cost a couple of quid.  Fecking useless.  No matter how you coil the rode it doesn't fly very far; then it refuses to open and dig in.

Float tested it without the rode...

#10 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

I bought one at a boat jumble.  Cost a couple of quid.  Fecking useless.  No matter how you coil the rode it doesn't fly very far; then it refuses to open and dig in.

Float tested it without the rode...

Sounds to me that it would only work if the water is deep enough.  In shallow water, it probably wouldn't develop enough speed to really travel any distance, and I suspect it really needs quite a large scope to enable the pull to open the mechanism so it can dig in.

#11 FMcCool

FMcCool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

That thing is going to fly with chain rode attached?  Useless bullshit unless you are trying to hold a canoe.

#12 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

I love a good anchor brawl!!

#13 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

That thing is going to fly with chain rode attached?

They very specifically say in the video that a chain is not used.  Rather, a lead weight is slid down the anchor line. It is the lead weight that keeps the line on the ground instead of a chain.

This is an interesting concept, particularly for the reason that it does not require a chain.  So a racer to Hawaii would not need to carry that weight.  I remember that in Hawaii they have a very nice sand bottom.  This looks like the perfect anchor for that type of bottom.  I'd like to learn more about it from people who have actually used it.

#14 finding41

finding41

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

It looks good to me for a stern anchor like mentioned above.

I would like to know if it is self righting/ setting in the case of you floating over it and pulling it out.

I can't see it in the disign...

#15 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

It looks good to me for a stern anchor like mentioned above.
I would like to know if it is self righting/ setting in the case of you floating over it and pulling it out.
I can't see it in the disign...

That's the problem, it isn't.
It can collapse with the blade uppermost, and drag quite a way.
It's just a lunch hook, don't leave the boat.

#16 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

I remember that in Hawaii they have a very nice sand bottom.

Well, sure - where it isn't coral, rock or muck, and I wonder how it 'flies' to the bottom in 1200 feet ?

#17 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

People anchor in 1200'??

#18 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

We set marks in that depth for regular club racing, (r/c boat equipped with a powered 'pinch-puller') with conventional Danforth anchors - but no, nobody anchors boats in that depth - I was having a bit of fun.

#19 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,128 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

Not sure which is the least convincing technology; the Flook flying anchor... or Chris Conroy's rug!

#20 cloudy01

cloudy01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:sailing & race cars.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:56 AM

this anchor is a great invention because of its light weight & holding power. why do you yanks knock everthing thats not american. for a country that has 20 times the population of australia your sailing performances are up to shit. maybe you should start upping the ante in your own back yard.

#21 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

You signed up just to post that? Let's see some tits, mister!

#22 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,813 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

You signed up just to post that? Let's see some tits, mister!

.....spat th'dummy awright  :mellow:

#23 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

Of all my posts I have ever done I can't believe that this is what Clean put on the front page -

He was SAID he was going to put up the Team USA / SA for China Cup bid. I  need some press to help attract sponsors.

#24 dylan winter

dylan winter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

this anchor is a great invention because of its light weight & holding power. why do you yanks knock everthing thats not american. for a country that has 20 times the population of australia your sailing performances are up to shit. maybe you should start upping the ante in your own back yard.

we are not at home to Mr Grumpy

#25 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

Cloudy01, you have to give us specifics to back up your statement.  What wind/wave conditions did you use it in?  What was the bottom like?  How long did it hold?  I really am interested.

#26 Dennisail

Dennisail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Cars, Beer, cruising.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

A mate got a shitbox spray which had one of these on it.   I had never seen or heard of them before but it seemed obvious that it was designed to glide.   We never did end up trying it out.  I wonder if the 10kg version would be good enough for a stern anchor on my cat?  Doubt it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users