• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 marceff

marceff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

I am having problem with a B&G Hydra 2 system. I have just replaced the FFD board and everything seem to be ok. This morning I aware that after 20/30 minutes the FFD turns off by its own. As I switch the general switch on again, then the FFD starts to work for next 20/30 mn. Does somebody has ever experienced something like that?

Any suggestion will be appreciate. Thanks to you all

#2 svinshallah

svinshallah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

This is just a very outside chance. When I installed my Hydra system in 1999, I had similar problems, but mine would stay on for hours or days sometimes. It turned out that the external non-B&G autopilot was sending data too fast for the FFD to convert it to the B&G network. Apparently they had a lot of software problems about that time, because I replaced the FFDs two or three times to update the software. They finally gave me a B&G compass for nothing so that I'd quit trying to feed in the NMEA compass data. I'd look for bad power connections, and bad network connections, particularly if yours in the NMEA model FFD.

#3 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

You original post is a little confusing. There's no FFD board in a Hydra 2 processor. There are FFDs connected to the Hydra 2 via the Fastnet bus.

The power for your FFDs comes on the Fastnet bus. There's really nothing that can happen in the processor that affects the bus power - I believe it's just passed directly through the processor to the bus. But there are lots of bus-related problems that can cause an FFD (or any other device on the bus) to appear dead. Most of these are quality of connection related and/or noise related. If your system was working well and then stopped working well - I'd spend a good bit of time checking and rechecking that all the bus connections are in good shape and that both terminators are still connected.

To get any substantive help, you're going to have to supply lots more information. How large is your system and what components are included? Wind, depth, what flavor of compass, auto pilot, how many FFDs, how many NMEA FFDs, etc.

Good luck!

#4 marceff

marceff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for useful replays. Talking about board, I was referring to the one which belongs to FFD display. My system includes 2 FFD (no NMEA), one is only working "randomly", autopilot, Alcyon Compass and an analogic wind direction, plus MHU on top of the mast. Hydra 2 CPU manages all. Terminators should be ok as it worked ok since yesterday morning and they are still connected without any rust.

What is happening is something very od (I have experienced while trying to solve the problem): if I take the wood cover off (the one which covers junction boxes) the system works ok. So I checked every single connection very careful but no sign of loose cables or water. I tried to press all the cable to see if one of them may touch others but everything looks ok. I got use to B&G oddity but in this case it would seem more useful the intervention of an exorcist rather than a technician

#5 marceff

marceff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

Just check that they shut down without cover as well... so no exorcist. Moonduster suggested to check all connections, as it may be the issue. Then I'm going to do it again... I have already check cables by the junction boxes, cables coming from mast head and pilot cables. I had checked all junction to CPU and echo as well... can't figure what is left

#6 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Don't bother looking at the depth or wind as they aren't connected via the Fastnet bus.

It sounds like your system has only four nodes on the Fastnet bus - two FFDs, the Halcyon compass and the Hydra processor, is that correct?

You talk about "taking off the wood cover" - is that some piece of your boat's furniture?

It really sounds to me as if it's a wiring problem. Take a close look at the wires - was the installation done with stranded wire or is it with solid core wire? Solid core wire is notorious for breaking inside the insulation and becoming intermittent while looking pristine. You don't need to use "B & G" cable, but if you have solid core wire you should remove and replace with stranded cables.

When is the last time you did a full system reset of your Hydra?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users