#1 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

Annbodey wache it?  Favrite seggmente?

I thick the 'Submarinne' sharkoff of SA was prettey coole.  I no it contervessialle if it exits but stille thouht it intesting.  Seeme oune bigg smart fishe.             :)

#2 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,353 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:23 AM

Snaggy, can you answer me a question? Cats get one day, October 29th. Dogs get one day, August 26th. Why is it that the two most popular and longest domesticated animals in the history of Earth each get just one day and sharks, sharks get a whole week?
I don't understand that. Please let me know your take on why that is.

#3 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:26 AM

submarine and all those discovery has admitted were fabrications.

The footage with REMUS at Guadalupe was amazing.

WHOI represent! Also Kongsberg/Simrad.

#4 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

Work at the Bimini Shark lab is legit. Some of the voice over was a bit much. My daughter is at the shark lab right now and their research is very good.

Last year, she was part of he Megladon footage, help set up some of the shots (look that's my hand! Type thing). Was happy the pics of her states on the cutting room floor when the footage was used to supplement the fabricated story of meglDon still being around. Those scientists have said "never agAin" to working with DC.

Her fun at shark week is to try to pull up qualifications, papers written, background and the rest of the "experts" featured.

Doc Gruber in Bimini exists. The rest seem to be actors.

#5 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,087 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:46 AM

Work at the Bimini Shark lab is legit. Some of the voice over was a bit much. My daughter is at the shark lab right now and their research is very good.

Last year, she was part of he Megladon footage, help set up some of the shots (look that's my hand! Type thing). Was happy the pics of her states on the cutting room floor when the footage was used to supplement the fabricated story of meglDon still being around. Those scientists have said "never agAin" to working with DC.

Her fun at shark week is to try to pull up qualifications, papers written, background and the rest of the "experts" featured.

Sonny Gruber is still working and getting on film?  Good for him.

While I can't watch any of shark week, I think that Discovery is in risk of jumping the shark themselves if they don't cut the crap.  I wouldn't want to work with them if I was a legit science without an established rep like Gruber.

#6 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:51 AM

I thick the 'Submarinne' sharkoff of SA was prettey coole.  I no it contervessialle if it exits but stille thouht it intesting.  Seeme oune bigg smart fishe.             :)

I always like to watch my families videos. I have sooo many cousins!

#7 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

While I can't watch any of shark week, I think that Discovery is in risk of jumping the shark themselves if they don't cut the crap.  I wouldn't want to work with them if I was a legit science without an established rep like Gruber.

Last year J was all excited, hoping she made the credits and the like. 1/2 through the show, she was openly disgusted and was thrilled when she and her name we absent from the public record.

#8 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Last year J was all excited, hoping she made the credits and the like. 1/2 through the show, she was openly disgusted and was thrilled when she and her name we absent from the public record.

Can't imagine having your name in that would be good when working your way up the totem pole and to someplace like scripps or whoi.

#9 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Can't imagine having your name in that would be good when working your way up the totem pole and to someplace like scripps or whoi.

Yep.  That's why she was happy that her help on the science/paleo side was both minimal and not acknowledged.  DC sold he filming to the museum as a Shark Week segment on the Megladon so they showed them the collection, set of shots of fossils and the lead scientists gave interviews.  Those all got cut and pasted into the BS episode of the megladon still around and responsible for attacks off SA.  At least the hammerhead stuff this year was reasonably factual, if a bit sensationalized.  

I guess simple, structured science isn't exciting. 

#10 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Yep.  That's why she was happy that her help on the science/paleo side was both minimal and not acknowledged.  DC sold he filming to the museum as a Shark Week segment on the Megladon so they showed them the collection, set of shots of fossils and the lead scientists gave interviews.  Those all got cut and pasted into the BS episode of the megladon still around and responsible for attacks off SA.  At least the hammerhead stuff this year was reasonably factual, if a bit sensationalized.  

Plusse oune on the hammehead thing, I fogot abote Old Hiltler.       :)

#11 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,538 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Discovery Channel came back this year with more fiction-as-fact, including a feature about a legendary 20-plus-foot hammerhead named "Old Hitler," a fake documentary about a boat called Joy Ride that sinks in sharky waters, and more efforts to convince us that Megalodon still cruises near popular beaches. (Last year, Discovery stood by its Megalodon piece and pointed out its disclaimers.)

I cannot watch ANYTHING on that fake-u-mentury channel. Once I know half of it is fake, trying to figure out which half is just too annoying.

The only thing I could watch is if the Duck Dynasty millionaires-pretending-to-be-idiots caught the Amish Mafia actors-pretending-to-be-Amish-enforcers and used them for bait in a real shark fishing contest. THAT would be good TV ;)

#12 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,592 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

"old Hitler" is said to be a resident of Boca Grande pass, which is notorious for big hammerheads and tigers.

But I tried to watch and couldn't. Some neat photography though.

#13 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,087 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Apparently they pantsed some poor scientist on the hammerhead thing too.  I couldn't watch it, but there was an article about how it was mostly B.S. and again the scientist was taken out of context and irritated.

I assume this is the bit on the giant hammerhead that was supposedly haunting some waters for sixty years...

#14 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

I feelle licke a guldible suckere........

#15 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

Apparently they pantsed some poor scientist on the hammerhead thing too.  I couldn't watch it, but there was an article about how it was mostly B.S. and again the scientist was taken out of context and irritated.

I assume this is the bit on the giant hammerhead that was supposedly haunting some waters for sixty years...

The only scientist I recall on the hammerhead side was Gruber.  J hasn't said whether he's in Bimini this week and if she has heard anything about what he thought.  It was a bit overdramatic but the bit about seasonal relocation of hammerheads and all is some of the winter research at the lab.  At least large hammerheads are real and D didn't make up a still living prehistoric shark or imbue one with cunning planning and stalking of a boatload of people like that stud "Submarine" episode.  

I do know that a lot of scientists are sorry they gave interviews and I've heard many have sworn to never talk to DC again.  It's a tough position.  On one hand, "there's no such thing as bad publicity".  On the other, some of this is bad publicity at best and the "Jaws" mindset doesn't help the cause of conservation minded efforts.  

#16 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

No, boring old science is boring. 

And in retrospect why Ocearch is so interesting and why they get so much backing.

"Oh, pro fisherman with loads of money doing cool stuff with sharks that involves basically fishing for them!"

REMUS has generated a ton of interest in WHOI with the assaults it got at Guadalupe.

#17 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

So your daughter was among those i can blame for having to explain to my younger cousins that megalodon isn't real? I'm not sure they even believed me that it was was fake.

The mermaid one was more fun.

#18 Edith Bicknell

Edith Bicknell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Merlin Rockets

Free The Weegie Yacht Club
    FTWYC

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

"old Hitler" is said to be a resident of Boca Grande pass, which is notorious for big hammerheads and tigers.

But I tried to watch and couldn't. Some neat photography though.

I've spent a lot of time fishing Boca Grande. The bull sharks will get you long before you get close enough to a hammerhead. But they did catch close to a world record hammerhead down there not long ago.

#19 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,087 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

The only scientist I recall on the hammerhead side was Gruber.  J hasn't said whether he's in Bimini this week and if she has heard anything about what he thought.  It was a bit overdramatic but the bit about seasonal relocation of hammerheads and all is some of the winter research at the lab.  At least large hammerheads are real and D didn't make up a still living prehistoric shark or imbue one with cunning planning and stalking of a boatload of people like that stud "Submarine" episode.  

I do know that a lot of scientists are sorry they gave interviews and I've heard many have sworn to never talk to DC again.  It's a tough position.  On one hand, "there's no such thing as bad publicity".  On the other, some of this is bad publicity at best and the "Jaws" mindset doesn't help the cause of conservation minded efforts.  

I was working for the NMFS Apex Predator Investigation when "Jaws: the Revenge" hit the theaters.  Needless to say, none of the shark scientists were interested in seeing it - even to show up drunk and mock it.  Then I learned that every Jaws or shark movie swamped them with mail...most of it pretty unintelligent.  The female scientists were far more interested in checking out Timothy Dalton as a the new James Bond...

The most interesting thing about that movie is that Roy Scheider showed a lot more career discretion  than Michael Caine, who demonstrated that he is clearly a role ho' that will do pretty much any movie for a buck.  After reading the novelization I couldn't bring myself to watch the movie.

It did NOT generate a lot of intelligent shark discourse...

#20 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,087 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

http://io9.com/shark...r-in-1619280737

http://www.iflscienc...ng-people-again

#21 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

http://io9.com/shark...r-in-1619280737

http://www.iflscienc...ng-people-again

Yep.  That's what we saw in our house.   

#22 dreadom

dreadom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Don't forget this monster which was sadly caught quite near me.

http://www.courierma...5b2fe6e91557965

#23 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Don't forget this monster which was sadly caught quite near me.http://www.courierma...5b2fe6e91557965

What a fucking hero he is. Hammerheads are very rarely associated with human attacks and he could have cut it loose. It really is time for that shit to stop.

#24 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Not fakery...

this one really hit home.  I've spent most of my life summer vaca's at this beach and water...  Never would have thought this beauty was just off shore.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1916610

#25 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,087 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

I'm kind of glad I can't watch this drivel, it really would upset me.

"Watch as Shark Week slowly drives this shark scientist insane"

http://www.vox.com/x...submarine-shark

Discovery Channel now seems marginally more scientific than "Sharknado".

#26 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:57 AM

Not fakery...

this one really hit home.  I've spent most of my life summer vaca's at this beach and water...  Never would have thought this beauty was just off shore.

Why wouldn't you? Given that there were seals around the cape 50 years ago, why wouldn't they be here too?

#27 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Not fakery...

Why wouldn't you? Given that there were seals around the cape 50 years ago, why wouldn't they be here too?

Like i said, been to dux beach pretty much all my life, which is coming on 50 soon.  Well aware of the activity out on the cape, but have never seen or heard of seeing any seal/shark/ gwhite at dux beach or the bay in all that time.  When there we're on or in the water pretty much every day...

#28 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Not fakery...

Like i said, been to dux beach pretty much all my life, which is coming on 50 soon.  Well aware of the activity out on the cape, but have never seen or heard of seeing any seal/shark/ gwhite at dux beach or the bay in all that time.  When there we're on or in the water pretty much every day...

The (very oldschool) Green Harbor/Plymouth comm fleets have both seen great whites years ago. But that was during the seal moratoriums.

The difference is nobody cared and they weren't posting a hundred photos to try to become facebook famous.

#29 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

they weren't posting a hundred photos to try to become facebook famous.

Ist that realley a thing?

#30 Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Fighting. Masturbating. Prayer.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:45 AM

Only watch shark flicks when there are tornadoes involved...

#31 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

http://www.nbcnews.c...husetts-n195596

Darwin cheated.  Just about twilight.  Kayaking to photograph seals where Great Whites have been seen regularly. Go mix with and imitate the prey at dinner time.  At least the shark didn't like plastic and spit the kayak out after one taste.  

#32 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,087 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

Only watch shark flicks when there are tornadoes involved...

I suspect Shark Week 2015 might have an investigative feature on sharks and tornadoes.  The legendary "Tornado Sharks" of Kansas, that are rumored to exist for the last fifty years, striking suddenly during storms.  Maybe if the ichthyologists won't talk to them any more they can con a few storm chasers into some choice quotes.

Or they will cover that scary ghost shark I heard a rumor of.

Darwin cheated.  Just about twilight.  Kayaking to photograph seals where Great Whites have been seen regularly. Go mix with and imitate the prey at dinner time.  At least the shark didn't like plastic and spit the kayak out after one taste.  

Kind of my first thought.

#33 auggie

auggie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:03 AM

My son was the Duxbury lifeguard. At least it livened up the last week of summer.

#34 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

"Twice so far this year and a couple times in the past couple years" is 'regularly'?

Awesome to hear from people from nowhere around here.

#35 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

"Twice so far this year and a couple times in the past couple years" is 'regularly'?

Have it your way.  Go kayak at sunset among a group of seals when Great Whites are reported in the area.  Let us know how it works out for you.  What percentage of the sharks visiting do you think are being seen and reported?  Feeling lucky? This is the new normal.  Marine mammal protection has increased seal populations and more understanding of shark behavior and reduced numbers of idiots out killing them for "sport" is helping to maintain and perhaps increase the shark population.  More prey leads to more predators.  Add in a doubling of recreational kayakers who seem oblivious to their surroundings and there is a predictable result.  

I dive and I kayak.  I don't do it at twilight and I don't do it around prey animals that present a silhouette very similar to my kayak.  I leave that shit to my daughter who swims with sharks at night for research purposes.  And if one day I get the call that it didn't go well, I'm not blaming the shark.  

#36 Bruce T. Shark

Bruce T. Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:After Race Parties<br />Frank Mundus<br />Peter Benchly

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

I loved the part a few years ago when my buddy Frank Mundus was driving around with the PHD guy off South Africa and there were no bites for 3 hours on the little seal silouhette...so Frank pulls it in and says "yah gotta make it interesting for them" and adds some ripped up material as streamers..puts it in the water and 30 seconds later an 18 ft White launches herself out of the water with the seal in her mouth..

I always liked that he had his x-wifes wedding ring in his ear..

#37 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

Have it your way.  Go kayak at sunset among a group of seals when Great Whites are reported in the area.  Let us know how it works out for you.  What percentage of the sharks visiting do you think are being seen and reported?  Feeling lucky? This is the new normal.  Marine mammal protection has increased seal populations and more understanding of shark behavior and reduced numbers of idiots out killing them for "sport" is helping to maintain and perhaps increase the shark population.  More prey leads to more predators.  Add in a doubling of recreational kayakers who seem oblivious to their surroundings and there is a predictable result.  

I dive and I kayak.  I don't do it at twilight and I don't do it around prey animals that present a silhouette very similar to my kayak.  I leave that shit to my daughter who swims with sharks at night for research purposes.  And if one day I get the call that it didn't go well, I'm not blaming the shark.  

I fish at dawn and twilight around our newest colonies that have already attracted sharks. They're really not as common a sight as you might think. This isn't Seal Island.

#38 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,087 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

I loved the part a few years ago when my buddy Frank Mundus was driving around with the PHD guy off South Africa and there were no bites for 3 hours on the little seal silouhette...so Frank pulls it in and says "yah gotta make it interesting for them" and adds some ripped up material as streamers..puts it in the water and 30 seconds later an 18 ft White launches herself out of the water with the seal in her mouth..

I always liked that he had his x-wifes wedding ring in his ear..

I never met Frank Mundus, I would have loved too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users